30 venues announced for Disney Springs

Evening family and adult entertainment. There is some included (the bowling alley, the movie theater, Cirque Du Soleil, the balloon, the way-overpriced car boats, the themed bars - can't count Disneyquest b/c that's dying), but there's not enough options...

I don't need a mall on my vacation (can't buy and fly back anyway), but I could use lots of fun...

I mean, if they need ideas...I've got tons...

This is a big issue that I'm sure Disney is turning a bit of a blind eye too...it really is

Initially I criticized DS as a pretty outdoor shopping mall. But I have to admit it'll be nice having some of these shopping options, should I need something while on vacation....

I'm in this boat...

I get that people don't want a mall...but it was always going to be one. Honestly - I've said this before - you can't ask for more than things that are relatively "rare"...and they have some of that.

It really has a lineup close to the 90s/00s construction boutique malls...as opposed to the 1960s issue decaying shopping malls featuring empty JCP and Sears...

Again...I'm not surprised.

But to the "I wanted more Disney" crowd...I honestly have to ask: what have you been watching for close to 20 years?

The "Disney" stuff has been all in all crap and they won't specialize to save pennies at the sweatshop...so what good is having more floor space for that? It's already got fairly sad in the parks...

I mean...I'm sure walt Disney would love to buy an $18 buzz light year spinner out of the old camera store kiosk in adventureland...I mean...who wouldn't? :sad2:

Last edited:
Our very first trip to WDW where we went to PI, I think it was in maybe '96(?), I remember things like carnival games, a big stage that had New Year's eve every night, Adventurer's club, of course, night clubs that our kids were upset they couldn't go in, Comedy Club, as well as nice restaurants and shops. It was a place to have fun.

And yes, you could get stuff at the big Disney Store that you couldn't find in every other Disney store in the parks and resorts. Not so true now.

Up until last year, we always made the trek to DTD, just to walk through, and often stopped in at many of the unique shops. But, from what I've seen now, other than the very nice new restaurants, I don't feel the desire to take time out of my vacation to go there - there really isn't a draw for me.

...and if I do need to find clothing without a character on it, there are plenty shops in the resorts with name brand stuff other than Disney.

Just me maybe - this is just my personal opinion, but like I said, I can go to the Mall Of America if I want to shop at these kinds of stores any time I want to.

I'm in this boat...

I get that people don't want a mall...but it was always going to be one. Honestly - I've said this before - you can't ask for more than things that are relatively "rare"...and they have some of that.

It really has a lineup close to the 90s/00s construction boutique malls...as opposed to the 1960s issue decaying shopping malls featuring empty JCP and Sears...

Again...I'm not surprised.

But to the "I wanted more Disney" crowd...I honestly have to ask: what have you been watching for close to 20 years?

The "Disney" stuff has been all in all crap and they won't specialize to save pennies at the sweatshop...so what good is having more floor space for that? It's already got fairly sad in the parks...

I mean...I'm sure walt Disney would love to buy an $18 buzz light year spinner out of the old camera store kiosk in adventureland...I mean...who wouldn't? :sad2:

In my opinion, the last thing Disney Springs needs is more Disney merchandise. You can buy Disney merchandise everywhere at WDW. So I don't really understand "I want more Disney crowd."

In my opinion, the last thing Disney Springs needs is more Disney merchandise. You can buy Disney merchandise everywhere at WDW. So I don't really understand "I want more Disney crowd."
I think what people want is more unique Disney. Most of the Disney stuff is the same. I can buy the same shirt at all four parks and Disney Springs and in most resort gift shops. More things like the co-op or the haunted mansion gift shop would be very welcome.

I though it was just ordinary mall selections. But the Coca-Cola place looks intriguing and it will be nice to have that Sephora there. Just in case I forget to pack my lip gloss again.

And there will be some stores who won't be able to build a clientele and something else will replace it

I'm stoked about Sephora. One trip I ran out of foundation and another trip mascara. Once I forgot my facial cleanser. Sephora at DS is awesome!

I think what people want is more unique Disney. Most of the Disney stuff is the same. I can buy the same shirt at all four parks and Disney Springs and in most resort gift shops. More things like the co-op or the haunted mansion gift shop would be very welcome.

What is the co-op?

I'm stoked about Sephora. One trip I ran out of foundation and another trip mascara. Once I forgot my facial cleanser. Sephora at DS is awesome!

It will be convienent for those of us who occasionally may forget or run out of our makeup. Much better than having to drive out to the mall or the nearest drug store.

I do kind of wish that it was an Ulta but Sephora will do quite nicely.

What makes it "Disney" to me is the theming and storytelling. I am not a big shopper, but I am looking forward to experiencing the area: try some of the unique chocolates at the Ganachery, grab a drink and some appetizers at the Hanger bar, get some gelato, window shop, etc. It looks like a lovely place to spend a few hours even if you aren't planning on shopping.

What makes it "Disney" to me is the theming and storytelling. I am not a big shopper, but I am looking forward to experiencing the area: try some of the unique chocolates at the Ganachery, grab a drink and some appetizers at the Hanger bar, get some gelato, window shop, etc. It looks like a lovely place to spend a few hours even if you aren't planning on shopping.

Well it's definitely going to be themed. The Springs area will be very pretty if nothing else. Mall of America is a bit of a special case but this is several steps up from your average mall.

To me this area was far more enjoyable and interesting when they had the Pleasure Island nightclubs. I'd rather they would add more entertainment venues and cut back on the number of stores. Disney Springs feels too big now and the area is not so fun now that it's overgrown. Standard mall stores are not what I'd be looking for on vacation. I wish they would bring back the comedy club.

The high end restaurants concern me more than some of the stores. I wish they had more affordable restaurants that had more reasonable prices.

I'm not okay with all of these stores. I don't hate them they are just not of interest. The way High end is being added to everything is so concerning.

Disney doesn't do anything on a whim. They certainly don't open the purse strings and spend millions on a whim. I'm sure there are reams of studies, spreadsheets, and reports that show that the Disney Springs project will be a long-term revenue generator.

Of course, WDW visitors and locals are certainly critical to success of Disney Springs. But, there's another group that rarely gets much attention in discussions here: convention attendees. In fiscal year 2013-14 (last reported number), approximately 1.4 million people attended conventions at the Orange County Convention Center. Convention attendees are typically free in the evening and often on expense reports.

WDW already does partner with many conventions to offer discounted tickets. But, an expanded Disney Springs will provide more options to the folks that aren't interested in theme parks. While there are other options (CityWalk and Restaurant Row), an evening at Disney Springs with high-end retail and restaurants by celebrity chefs seems like an easy sell to convention attendees.

The high end restaurants concern me more than some of the stores. I wish they had more affordable restaurants that had more reasonable prices.

I'm not okay with all of these stores. I don't hate them they are just not of interest. The way High end is being added to everything is so concerning.
Disney has never really had incredibly affordable food. You're at theme park so you're automatically paying more especially when attached to the Disney name.

Now if you look at the restuarants that have been added. None of them are signature restaurants but the boathouse will cost you two credits on the dining plan I believe. Disney is adding D-Luxe burger which seems to be a quick service. Also Disney springs has plenty of affordable options like Wolfgang puck express, splitsville, rainforest cafe, and more. When doubling the amount of restuarants you had and dealing with third parties you are going to have more high end options.

Disney has never really had incredibly affordable food. You're at theme park so you're automatically paying more especially when attached to the Disney name.

Now if you look at the restuarants that have been added. None of them are signature restaurants but the boathouse will cost you two credits on the dining plan I believe. Disney is adding D-Luxe burger which seems to be a quick service. Also Disney springs has plenty of affordable options like Wolfgang puck express, splitsville, rainforest cafe, and more. When doubling the amount of restuarants you had and dealing with third parties you are going to have more high end options.

Well that depend on what a person considers affordable. I did go to Morimoto and while some of the entrees were not what I would spend on lunch $45 dollars. They did have noodle bowls for a reasonable amount that we could easily split. And therefore the price was not so bad. And the food really has to be exceptional if I am going to spend a huge amount of money. Disney does have restaurants where costs do seem more reasonable. I love Yachtsman dearly but let's be honest some of us can't spend that amount every night. But Disney does have places like Kona's and Boatwright where your money can go farther.

Well...I agree that the trend of real high tag restaurants is disturbing...but predictable.

Here's another angle: Disney puts in tenants that want premium prices...so they make revenue off them.

But what else does that do...property wide?

I am REALLY excited for most of the stores coming to DS! I know that these stores will be opening in phases but does anyone know when they will be all open? I know initially DS transformation was suppose to be done late 2016, are we still on track for that date, even with all the new announcements?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter