• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

3-bedroom GV vs two 2-bedroom - AKV/BLT

Jonnnyap

AKV DVC and Orange Bird Fan
Looking for wisdom and advice from my Dis friends...

We're a family of 8: 6 kids (one in HS, one in college, four graduated from college and in their 20s). We've done a few DVC visits together in a 2-bedroom at Kidani, and with at least one creative sleeping surface (bench in kitchen turned into a bed) have made it work. Looking to next year, with banking/borrowing, I'm considering expanding our space and doing either two 2-bedroom rooms or one 3-bedroom grand villa to give everyone an actual bed and also possibly enjoying the larger common/living space together. Also, I'd love to possibly experience the two-story living rooms and windows in either AKV or BLT, our two favorite resorts that we're considering. Two 2-bedrooms might give us more sleeping space, but it might hinder our ability to all gather together well. The point cost is about the same, so any advice on which you'd choose? I've toured a 3-bedroom GV but never stayed in one.

Thanks for sharing thoughts and if you've done the analysis and/or stayed in both. What would you do?

Thanks!

Although I haven't stayed in a GV yet I've toured them, and point cost being the same I'd definitely opt for the GV. We did a Treehouse with 9 of us which is the limit, and we had a blast. I think the GV experience would be way better than two 2 BR Villas.
OTOH, if I wanted to save points, I might get a 2 BR villa, and then add a studio to spread folks out. Which is way cheaper on points than a GV. But I think the GV would be more fun.

I would go the GV route. They are a super fun experience and assuming everyone gets along, it's great to be able to accommodate everyone in one community space. Definitely does feel like home.

My grandsons are going for the first time along with their parents, and my other two adult children. I’m hoping staying in a GV will bring more memories since they live in ny and we moved to nc.enjoy your family memories.

We decided several years ago to stay in the GV at Jambo, and it was a great experience. There are only 5 or 6 of the GVs at Jambo. It's on one floor, unlike the 2 levels at Kidani. There's a king bed, 4 queen beds, and a queen pullout sofa - if that's enough sleeping surfaces for your group. The fact that we had an outdoor balcony almost as big as the room, overlooking the savannah and the animals - was amazing, especially at breakfast. But with our group, and perhaps with yours, the oversized dining area inside, along with your own pool table in the room, might make this a better choice! Now, if you do decide on 2 2BRs, I would highly recommend Kidani. All the 2BRs at Jambo are lock-offs, meaning you get a queen and a pullout in the 'studio' side. If you do Kidani, you can book dedicated 2BRs, which will each have a king, 2 queen beds, and a queen pull-out - more sleeping surfaces and more ability to avoid the pull-outs! We did not actually stay in the GV at Kidani, and it would be are second choice after Jambo GV - but those rooms also look absolutely awesome and would never be a bad choice! We decided against it because of wanting to avoid the steps to the second floor with the ages (and knees!) in our family group...... That might not matter for you! Good luck with your arrangements and have a great trip!

We are doing one night in the BLT GV in January and I am excited to try it!
Great! As a BLT owner I'd like to stop by with my extended family, and maybe a few other guests to welcome you. It's a tradition we do with first timers at BLT GV's, to make sure you really feel at home. We'll bring the keg of course, just have some other snacks handy (maybe order about a dozen pizzas).

We'll hang out from the time you check-in until after fireworks...or so...depending on how many drinks we have.

We stayed in a Grand Villa at Kidani a couple of years ago. There were 8 of us, 6 adults and 2 teens. Loved the 2 story. Upstairs had a loft with sofa bed and tv. Teens had their own hang out space. We had a 2 br and 1br booked but one of the rooms had to be taken out of service. They move us to Kidani and it was amazing.

Great advice and points of information, all. Thanks!

I've not been in a Jambo GV before, and I've wondered if the pool table would be too loud with teenagers and early 20s on the trip. Years ago we rented a VRBO with games in the garage (as many of them do), and it was incredibly loud with foosball and a mini pool table. I don't want a pool ball going through a sliding glass door; my kids aren't that crazy, so maybe I'm just being overly protective of the DVC property. I also am enamored with the idea of those large balconies at Jambo GV; the Kidani balconies are great, but a bit narrow imho.

And if we do do the Jambo GV, does it have the sleeper chair and sofa similar to the Kidani GV? @nob points out there are a number of sleeping surfaces in Kidani's GV, and we'll need 6 separate beds/sofas/sleepers so there's no chance any of the kids have to touch. :)

I appreciate you all sharing your experiences - great input!

Thanks!

We decided several years ago to stay in the GV at Jambo, and it was a great experience. There are only 5 or 6 of the GVs at Jambo. It's on one floor, unlike the 2 levels at Kidani. There's a king bed, 4 queen beds, and a queen pullout sofa - if that's enough sleeping surfaces for your group. The fact that we had an outdoor balcony almost as big as the room, overlooking the savannah and the animals - was amazing, especially at breakfast. But with our group, and perhaps with yours, the oversized dining area inside, along with your own pool table in the room, might make this a better choice! Now, if you do decide on 2 2BRs, I would highly recommend Kidani. All the 2BRs at Jambo are lock-offs, meaning you get a queen and a pullout in the 'studio' side. If you do Kidani, you can book dedicated 2BRs, which will each have a king, 2 queen beds, and a queen pull-out - more sleeping surfaces and more ability to avoid the pull-outs! We did not actually stay in the GV at Kidani, and it would be are second choice after Jambo GV - but those rooms also look absolutely awesome and would never be a bad choice! We decided against it because of wanting to avoid the steps to the second floor with the ages (and knees!) in our family group...... That might not matter for you! Good luck with your arrangements and have a great trip!
Great point about the large balconies at Jambo and the dedicated vs lockoffs in Kidani. We've always elected dedicated 2BR to avoid the extra sleeper sofa, getting two genuine beds in the second room. The living space in Jambo seems bigger by the pictures/maps since some of the common space at Kidani for GV is in that upstairs loft area. By the pictures/maps, the common space in Jambo GV seems immense. Was that your experience?

We have only done a Beach House at Vero, but we have done it multiple times and enjoyed every time!

Great point about the large balconies at Jambo and the dedicated vs lockoffs in Kidani. We've always elected dedicated 2BR to avoid the extra sleeper sofa, getting two genuine beds in the second room. The living space in Jambo seems bigger by the pictures/maps since some of the common space at Kidani for GV is in that upstairs loft area. By the pictures/maps, the common space in Jambo GV seems immense. Was that your experience?
Yes - a lot of room in the common space of Jambo GV - and on the balcony!

And if we do do the Jambo GV, does it have the sleeper chair and sofa similar to the Kidani GV? @nob points out there are a number of sleeping surfaces in Kidani's GV, and we'll need 6 separate beds/sofas/sleepers so there's no chance any of the kids have to touch. :)
I don't believe any of the Grand Villas at AKL (J or K) offer sleeper chairs. The GVs in both buildings are showing sleeping just for 12, which is the king bed, 4 queen beds, and a queen sleeper. If individual beds are critical for you, you might have to consider your other option of two 2BR. If you get two dedicated 2BRs at Kidani, you'll have 2 king beds, 4 queen beds, 2 queen pullout beds, and 2 sleeper chairs.

Grand villas are awesome for the common space but I think with just eight a two bedroom would work in the larger 2BR rooms. We had 25 in our last trip and it was no problem at all gathering all of us up in the 3BR at Kidani, CCV or Riviera.

Picture-

View attachment 775442
That’s a great looking group, and indeed you had room in the Riv GV for the photo. Thanks for sharing.

I don't believe any of the Grand Villas at AKL (J or K) offer sleeper chairs. The GVs in both buildings are showing sleeping just for 12, which is the king bed, 4 queen beds, and a queen sleeper. If individual beds are critical for you, you might have to consider your other option of two 2BR. If you get two dedicated 2BRs at Kidani, you'll have 2 king beds, 4 queen beds, 2 queen pullout beds, and 2 sleeper chairs.
Thanks. I’d guess you’re right on no chairs. My DD will be upset as she loves them and stakes claim to the sleeper chair even if a queen is available.

Your math on the two 2BR sleeping surfaces is what makes that approach seem a bit much to me. We don’t need 10 different spots. :) Which leads me to thinking the GV is the better option.

Or maybe I just need to invite more people to join to make better use of all those sleeping surfaces! :)

Your math on the two 2BR sleeping surfaces is what makes that approach seem a bit much to me. We don’t need 10 different spots. :) Which leads me to thinking the GV is the better option.

Or maybe I just need to invite more people to join to make better use of all those sleeping surfaces! :)
Be careful with that approach of inviting more people. They just might come!!

8 people in a grand villa sounds like plenty of space. Just have to look at the bed setup and make sure it suits your group. The Kidani grand villa has 7 beds, though that includes one sofa in the living room and one soft in the loft. You'll still have some people sleeping in the public areas and sharing of bathrooms. But it's pretty minimal all things considered.

Jambo House GV is amazing. Three enormous balconies and the pool table was a great form of entertainment, didn't find it loud.
They do have a sleeper chair in the living room GD slept on it.
Be sure to bring to bug spray, tons of bugs on the balcony.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter