3,298 miles, 10 breweries, and 1 Mega Meet - a July '16 Trip Report *New 6/5/17 - Link to new TR!*

We've been to the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio and thoroughly enjoyed all the amazing aircraft displayed but we haven't had the opportunity to visit the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian. It looks so cool! You're a lucky duck!

Those aircraft look so amazing! could definitely spend hours looking through that museum.

Your packing skills are admirable.

I kind of pegged you to have a dog named "Walter."

The National Air and Space Museum looks awesome! I didn't realize there were two separate buildings. I can see how you could have spent a lot of time there and it's great that they have knowledgeable people around to answer questions. Also, no sweeter words than "free admission!"

I understand the Enola Gay is a piece of history, but it has to give such an awkward feeling.

The Air and Space Museum looks awesome! We went to an air and space museum on our road trip as well, the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ. Very similar to the one you visited, though without the addition of the Space Shuttle! Definitely recommend it if you guys ever road trip out west!

Delayed a bit BUT I am here now!! Glad you have another awesome vacation started, I can't wait to read more!
Sounds like a good couple of first days! Glad the tooth fairy found you!!

Love the lego boxes!! I'm still at a loss for what to do for Maya for our long flights next week. Aria will be fine w/ ipad and a couple other things I got her, but Maya doesn't watch on the ipad. I got her a new book & some toys. Hope she isn't horrible!

We managed to get a pretty early start in the morning, leaving just before 7:30am. The reason I wanted to leave early was to have time for an extra stop - one that was recommended to me by a friend and one I am glad we did, though wish we had more time at ... but more on that later

Nice to get in a little visit with the parents and they were able to watch the dogs for you too!

we then walked to the back room where they have all the space artifacts included the entire Space Shuttle Discovery. This is one area where if we had more time we would have explored more - but still neat to see in person and up close:

The museum sounds really awesome!!

My brother did the Udvar-Hazy Center on his DC trip a few years back - he thought it was great! It's definitely one of those places that's worth checking out ... but yeah, it can take some time. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Wait are you saying the Tooth Fairy isn't real? :sad: I actually lost my first tooth in Disney at the Pop Century, the tooth fairy gave me 5 disney dollars!

I have never been to DC but that museum is on the top of my list if I ever go.

I'm here! (Finally) I've been looking forward to reading about your Disney trip since seeing all the awesome photos you've shared on Facebook. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous that you got to attend the Mega Meet.

The Air and Space Museum sounds like a good place to stop on a long car trip. Who doesn't love planes? And because the place was so big, it gives you an easy excuse to revisit it down the road.

I just realized you started your TR! I love reading the travel day and the road trip element is a fun twist. The Air and Space Museum is a amazing. I haven't been in a while but need to put that on the to-do list!

Since I wasn't able to go to the Dis-meet this year I am happy I can live vicariously through you. Heck, you were IN the anniversary Podcast! Funny to hear your voice as I only know you through words!

Yahoo! It would have been cool if Olivia's tooth had waited a couple days to fall out. (We've had a couple fall out at WDW before and it's fun having Tinker Bell bring the dollar.) But cool that Nana was able to help make it special with her little box.

Seeing your car with all the kids loaded in brings back a flood of memories... of pack n' plays, car seats, and multiple strollers. In some ways I don't miss having to pack that stuff up in the least, and in other ways, I miss it terribly...

I like the idea of seeing your odometer as you start off each leg in the trip. Cool!

And wow, your photos of the Air and Space Museum are awesome. I visited it once when I was around 14 or 15 and mostly forgot about it. After seeing your updates, I TOTALLY want to go see it again. I mean, just wow. Look at all that cool stuff!!!

I'm stoked to be following along on your road trip travels, looking forward to seeing what else you came across!

That's a cool idea to have Tinker Bell come for the tooth ... we were just glad it came out and things worked out (she had been working on that tooth for a while!)

I hear you about the memories - in some ways (a lot of ways really) I am glad the kids are getting older but once that age is done with, no going back, so glad to have the pictures and stuff to remember

I was thinking of you when we were at the museum as I think you would have loved it and also chatting with the people working there who explained so much!

I'm excited to read this, my boyfriend and I were there for the Mega Meet so I want to hear your stories about it.

I love road trips and getting ready for road trips. I think it is because my family drove to Disney the few times we went when I was younger. We usually went when it was still cold in Pennsylvania so it was great to start the trip out in winter coats then eventually take them off for a rest stop somewhere in the Carolinas.

That museum looks like so much fun! Maybe I'll need to keep it in mind.

Nice! Definitely will be good to compare experiences and stories

We had a different experience with the weather as a few days it was actually hotter up in New York than it was in Florida!

It's a cool museum and can't beat the price! And nice that it isn't in downtown DC so pretty easy off-and-on to the highway

Well, my next road trip will definitely be there! My dad and I love aircraft and that looks like blast.

Nice! It was really cool and gotta love a free experience!

We've been to the National Museum of the United States Air Force at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton Ohio and thoroughly enjoyed all the amazing aircraft displayed but we haven't had the opportunity to visit the Air and Space Museum at the Smithsonian. It looks so cool! You're a lucky duck!

It's neat to see all the airplanes and to take in how big some of them are ... but also how small some of them are! It was a fun museum!

Those aircraft look so amazing! could definitely spend hours looking through that museum.

Definitely could have spent more time there - though it was really an extra for this trip so happy to have the time we did!

Your packing skills are admirable.

I kind of pegged you to have a dog named "Walter."

The National Air and Space Museum looks awesome! I didn't realize there were two separate buildings. I can see how you could have spent a lot of time there and it's great that they have knowledgeable people around to answer questions. Also, no sweeter words than "free admission!"

I understand the Enola Gay is a piece of history, but it has to give such an awkward feeling.

Thank you!

Well, the names of the dogs came from when they were born as Judi's family had been a family breeder ...so when the dogs are born you give them litter names and the first one out gets a name that starts with "A", and the next one gets a "B" name and so on ... So we just kept "Cole" (third in his litter) and "Edgar" (5th in his) as their names. But Walt would definitely be a good name!

Yeah, i didn't realize it either and then at one point I got mixed up as to which one was the one we wanted to go to as the other is right in the heart of DC. It was fun!

Definitely a bit of mixed feelings about seeing the Enola Gay ... I think in the context of the museum it is more about the technical aspects of the plane and you get into how cramped the space for the people and stuff is - but definitely also a reminder of wartime and what happened

The Air and Space Museum looks awesome! We went to an air and space museum on our road trip as well, the Pima Air and Space Museum in Tucson, AZ. Very similar to the one you visited, though without the addition of the Space Shuttle! Definitely recommend it if you guys ever road trip out west!

I will have to keep that in mind if we are ever in Arizona - sounds similar and just a neat thing and was a fun "add-on" to the trip

Delayed a bit BUT I am here now!! Glad you have another awesome vacation started, I can't wait to read more!
Sounds like a good couple of first days! Glad the tooth fairy found you!!

:welcome: Glad you are here Katt! Overall a very awesome vacation! We are glad things worked out with the tooth as well!

Love the lego boxes!! I'm still at a loss for what to do for Maya for our long flights next week. Aria will be fine w/ ipad and a couple other things I got her, but Maya doesn't watch on the ipad. I got her a new book & some toys. Hope she isn't horrible!

Nice to get in a little visit with the parents and they were able to watch the dogs for you too!

The museum sounds really awesome!!

We knew with the long drive we needed multiple things and just watching the kindles for 20 + hours in a row was not going to cut it. Hopefully the book and stuff works. The other thing we have a few of us magnetic type books or things that have magnetic like stickers the kids can apply and re-apply. Emma does that a bit

Yeah, always good for the kids to see their grandparents ... they are actually coming to our house next weekend to watch the kids while Judi and I get away for a few days for her birthday

Museum was definitely cool!

My brother did the Udvar-Hazy Center on his DC trip a few years back - he thought it was great! It's definitely one of those places that's worth checking out ... but yeah, it can take some time. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Fully agree - definitely a place worth checking out. Glad we got in the time we did as a bit of an "add-on" for the trip. I had a lot more pictures but tried to keep in in check or this trip report will be like 1,000 updates long! ;)

Wait are you saying the Tooth Fairy isn't real? :sad: I actually lost my first tooth in Disney at the Pop Century, the tooth fairy gave me 5 disney dollars!

I have never been to DC but that museum is on the top of my list if I ever go.

Darn, I forgot there were some minors reading along ;) And the tooth fairy is definitely real - I even found a picture:
the-rock-the-tooth-fairy.jpg

That's cool that you got actual Disney Dollars!

Just note there are 2 air and space museums in DC - the one we went to is the one that is actually outside of the City but there is another one right in the heart of the city. Both are great, but it was obviously easier for us to not have to deal with downtown DC traffic

I'm here! (Finally) I've been looking forward to reading about your Disney trip since seeing all the awesome photos you've shared on Facebook. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little jealous that you got to attend the Mega Meet.

The Air and Space Museum sounds like a good place to stop on a long car trip. Who doesn't love planes? And because the place was so big, it gives you an easy excuse to revisit it down the road.

:welcome: Glad you are here! I was pretty excited it worked out for us to go to the Megameet - I would have been jealous of me too (feels like a Megan Trainor song or something)

Definitely worked out as that would have been one of our longer stretches if we didn't stop so figured it was a good way to ease into things and definitely wouldn't mind going again (though may skip the observatory)

I just realized you started your TR! I love reading the travel day and the road trip element is a fun twist. The Air and Space Museum is a amazing. I haven't been in a while but need to put that on the to-do list!

Since I wasn't able to go to the Dis-meet this year I am happy I can live vicariously through you. Heck, you were IN the anniversary Podcast! Funny to hear your voice as I only know you through words!

:welcome: - glad you found it!!! The museum is really good and definitely work visiting again

I am glad things worked out with the video - and totally understand what you are saying ... always nice to hear the voice of someone who's TR's you are reading

Great idea to pack small bags for the days you were on the road. Definitely better than carrying the big suitcases into each hotel!

I don't think I ever realized you had dogs! They are so cute!

Glad you had a nice stop and the grandparents house!

Sounds like a great time at the Air and Space Museum. Glad it was a good place to stop!

Great start to your trip! We've been to the Air and Space Museum right in DC and the boys loved it, and I think we were there for about 4-5 hours!! They got to see what kind of plane their great-grandfather flew in WW2 :)

Great idea to pack small bags for the days you were on the road. Definitely better than carrying the big suitcases into each hotel!

I don't think I ever realized you had dogs! They are so cute!

Glad you had a nice stop and the grandparents house!

Sounds like a great time at the Air and Space Museum. Glad it was a good place to stop!

I think we could have done an even better job, but it was definitely nice when we'd get to a hotel and only have to take out a couple of duffle bags rather than a bunch of big suitcases

Currently two dogs and 1 cat - though Olivia wants another kitten ... we'll see

definitely was a good place to stop and I am glad the kids enjoyed it as well

Great start to your trip! We've been to the Air and Space Museum right in DC and the boys loved it, and I think we were there for about 4-5 hours!! They got to see what kind of plane their great-grandfather flew in WW2 :)

Thanks! Definitely could spend more time there than we did, but I think we got to at least see most of it - that's extra cool that they could see the plane that their great-grandfather flew

Part 6: Traveling to Disney - Day 3
Reaching Durham, NC and hitting up the first brewery and dinner with friends

After leaving the museum we stopped for gas and a quick bite to eat and then continued on our way. We had posted an update on Facebook from the museum and about 20 minutes later we got a message from a DIS friend that they live only 5 minutes from the museum ... wish we had known that earlier! Then later in the day Judi's younger sister messaged us that she was at her fiance's place which was only 10 minutes from the museum ... again, wish we had known that earlier! .... so much for all that heavy planning I did for the trip!

I was saving a number of episodes of Connecting with Walt for the drive down and put on an episode for this stretch of the drive ... really love this series and recommend it to anyone looking for more history of Walt Disney World. Especially shines light on the role that Roy played - beyond just as the money guy.

01_radio%20connecting%20with%20walt.jpg

Our plan was to get to Durham at around 3 or 3:30pm, check into our hotel and then walk to where we were meeting our friends from college for dinner (it was ~10minute walk) at 6pm which was next to a brewery (Fullsteam Brewery) I wanted to check out first. However, we hit a ton of traffic. Apparently there is a place where the HOV lanes end that always backs-up but then an accident added to things so we lost quite a bit of time (We were using WAZE but once we were on the highway, nowhere else to get off and save time). So we were messaging with our friends (another friend from college was going to join us for dinner as well and wanted to meet us at the brewery next door to the restaurant) and ultimately decided to go straight to Fullsteam and meet him there - and we got there a bit after 5pm. So not a ton of time before dinner, but enough to check it out.

02_Fullsteam%201.jpg

Fullsteam is probably the most popular brewery in Durham and really popular for hanging out. The area it is in is sort of like a warehouse area that is being rebuild with restaurants and art studios, etc. - it was definitely cool and they had a lot of different types of beer that were largely really good. OF the ones I tried the Basil Farmhouse all and the 9-Volt sour ale were the best, though the Working Man's Lunch brown was good too.

03_bar.jpg
04_beer%20list.jpg
05_my%20beer.jpg

They had a lot of tables and games and stuff for the kids to play too. Our kids spent some time playing a card game called Exploding Kittens which was pretty funny. I also appreciate the guys in the background full-on baby-wearing while drinking their beers:

06_kids%20playing.jpg

We then went next door to The Pit to meet the rest of our friends from college. We all went to Lehigh University and both couples met their respective partners there - and the husband was actually my best man in our wedding - but we hadn't seen each other in years. (BTW - not sure how comfortable they would be referenced online so I am not using names or sharing pictures). So apparently the only pictures from dinner that I saved were of the beer menu and my beer - which is the Big Boss Monkey Bizz-ness:

09_Pit%20Beer%20menu.jpg
10_Beer.jpg

But here are some pictures from their website to give you an idea of the place. It is traditional BBQ with various styles - but mostly Carolina (though apparently eastern and western Carolina BBQ are a little different) and they had several sauces on the table, all were vinegar based. The food was really good and it was a nice place. Also just really good to catch up with friend! Their kids are a bit more reserved than mine so took them a little while to fully engage but by the end of the evening the kids were all getting along great!

The%20Pit%20exterior.jpg
The%20Pit%20Food.jpg
The%20Pit%20Sauces.jpg

After dinner they took us to a popular gathering green-space - the American Tobacco Campus. It's been converted to a lot of shops and restaurants and is where they do their "tree lighting" at Christmas time (though it is the Lucky Strikes tower that gets lit, not a tree). It was nice and the kids had fun running around a bit and we got a few pictures in (it did start raining):

07_Olivia%20and%20Peter%20by%20river.jpg
08_Family%20by%20river.jpg

After this we headed out to finally check into our hotel, which was the Durham Marriott City Center. It was a great location and a nice hotel. Only issue we had was there was one place really in or out and that was at the valet drop off - and there was an event getting out and a lot of people were waiting for their car and a lot of them were smoking, so that was annoying to have to like push our way through with our kids - but other than that the hotel was great.

Part 7: Traveling to Disney - Day 4
Monuts and Museum of Life & Science - Part I

The next day was largely set aside for the kids - but first we had to get up and out and go to church since it was a Sunday. While we were waiting for the car to be brought around there was some jazz music being played and the girls couldn't help but dance:

girls%20dancing.gif

This is

Church was nice - definitely noticed that people dressed nicer and made a point of saying "hi" to everyone moreso than up by us. We then had a specific location we wanted to go to for breakfast/brunch and that was Monuts:

02_Outside%20Monuts.jpg

This is a popular local place but is still pretty casual and, well, has lots of great donuts. We over-ordered a bit as the idea was to have the extras the next morning as we had a really early start planned. One thing I thought was neat was instead of numbers they gave out cards with pictures of animals on it (we got some type of dinosaur) so that is where they knew to deliver your food
03_Monut%20donuts.jpg
04_table%20number.jpg

06_Sandwich.jpg
05_Donuts.jpg

After that delicious breakfast (the toasted amaretto was my favorite of the donuts) we were heading to our main event for the day which was the Museum of Life & Science which was only about 10 minutes or so away. Once there aparently Emma wanted to push Peter in the stroller ... yeah, that was going to be efficient.

07_museum%20entrance.jpg
08_Emma%20pushing%20Peter.jpg

This is just an amazing children's museum with some inside exhibits but a lot outside - here is a map of the outside area, which is where we spent out time:

09_Museum%20map.jpg

We start right with some climbing areas and a slide that Emma loved (though the white pants were a mistake):

10_climbin.jpg
11_Emma%20sliding.jpg

One thing I liked about this place was how it encourages playing in nature and getting dirty, etc. - but also that it's not just for kids but for parents to enjoy with them as well

12_Playing%20in%20nature%20sign.jpg

Next was a stream area which was Emma's absolute favorite! (and was excuse to clean the dirt off her) and then into the treehouse area which was new and really cool! There is also a train (which we would go on later) that you could see go by

13_kids%20in%20stream.jpg

14_treehouses%201.jpg
15_treehouses%202.jpg
16_treehouses%203.jpg

17_treehouses%204.jpg
18_Treehouses%205.jpg
19_Treehouses%206.jpg

... lot's more to see!

Part 8: Traveling to Disney - Day 4
Museum of Life & Science - Part II, Ponysaurus, and Bull City Burger and Brew

After the tree houses ... and another trip to the stream, our tickets were coming due for the train - so we headed in that direction. The train was really fun and you did two loops so gave you a chance to check out things you may have missed the first time around.

21_Train.jpg

Like at Disney there are warning signs for riders ... this one I believe is cautioning you not to put children into rolling luggage:
22_warning%20sign.jpg

There is a lot of are exhibits you pass on the train ride ... one of which involves mirrors at different angles and at one point angled back at you - so I was able to get footage of people filming the mirrors:

train%20mirrors.gif

You also get to go through a tunnel and then get to see the tree houses from this view

23_Tunnel.jpg
24_treehouses%20from%20train.jpg

After the train ride (Peter of course wanted to ride again but there were no more tickets for later rides) we got a snack (drinks and cookies) and then headed to the Magic Wings Butterfly House

25_Magic%20Wings%20Butterfly%20House.jpg

This place was pretty cool - it included exhibits on other insects as well but the main attraction is the butterfly greenhouse area where we were tracking down some butterflies and I was able to get some close up pictures (not sure why Olivia is looking so reverent in the first picture). At around quarter to three we headed towards the office area (where there is a viewing window) as at 3 they were going to have a butterfly release. They had one moth in the window that was absolutel huge!

26_olivia%20with%20butterfly.jpg
27_butterfly.jpg
28_Giant%20Moth.jpg

The butterfly release was neat as they would place the butterflies on the kids arms - which the kids loved! I was proud of my kids as they waited patiently even though others were pushing ahead - but they didn't get frustrated and eventually got theirs. BTW - the young girl you see in the first gif is a volunteer there - pretty neat thing to do!

butterfly%20release.gif
Peter%20with%20butterfly.gif
Olivia%20with%20butterfly.gif

After that we explored this wind trail where they had different exhibits set up teaching about the wind - including a radio controlled boat area. Then we did the animal trail, but there weren't too many out to see. They we did the dinosaur trail, which was fun - but I think we were getting a bit tired by that point.

29_Boats.jpg
30_Dino.jpg

We then headed out and the kids fell asleep in the car. Our next stop was on the other side of the downtown area at another brewery called Ponysaurus (I guess appropriate after doing the dinosaur trail). This was a really neat place with a lot of outside areas and you could even by food there to grill which I thought was neat. Beer was pretty good two (not a huge selection) and they had snacks that you could get by the scoopful which was fun

31_Ponysaurus%20outside.jpg
32_Ponysaurus%20inside.jpg
33_Ponysaurus%20beer.jpg

We then headed back towards the main downtown area to have dinner at Bull City Burger and Brew. This was some great food! Their fried pickles were some of the best I've ever had and the special burger I got called the Shadoe Burger - had pimento cheese, vinaigrette slaw, and chimichurri sauce and was fantastic! I also was told by our friends that I had to try the bull nuts - which were peanuts with bacon and sugar and salt. They were good - but since I was the only one eating them I got full of them kinda quick.

34_Pickles.jpg
35_nuts.jpg
36_burger.jpg

They also had a kids area (or "future beer drinkers" as they called it) that the kids spent time in while we waited for our food and a sign that I agree with

37_kids%20area.jpg
38_Beer%20snob%20sign.jpg

Afterward we decided to stop by the local ice cream parlour called, well, The Parlour, for, well, ice cream. This guy in line looks like he is picturing the ice cream being really good! I decided to try the special float which had cinnamon syrup and spicy whip cream for a bit of a Mexican chocolate flavor - it was really good!

39_Ice%20Cream%20Parlour%20outside.jpg
40_Shake%20sign.jpg
41_Shake.jpg

Everyone enjoyed their treat!

42_Family%20with%20ice%20cream.jpg

After that, it was time to head back as we wanted / needed to make an early start of it for the next day as we were hoping to get going by 4am!!!! (yeah, I know, kinda nutso)

TTFN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter