2nd marriage...white dress??

WishingMom

DIS Veteran
Looking for your opinions. For a second marriage, is white inappropriate to wear as a wedding dress. This will be my second, DF's first, I was thinking about wearing ivory and not very elaborate (but classy) unless I find "the dress" in white.

Thanks
Tanya

I think after the first, the rule of thumb is to add color to the dress...but that may just be a traditional thing???:confused3

I do think however, that ivory and cream colored dresses are just absolutely beautiful and flattering to most skin types. (My dress was ivory- I hated how i looked in white, and it was my 1st...and hopefully last, lol).

Many bridal dresses come in more that one color so I'm sure you will have no trouble finding a gorgeous dress!:wizard:

I say wear whatever you want! :goodvibes This is my second wedding and I went out looking for a white dress but the dress i bought is a very light pink. I think if you find the dress you like in white or ivory you should buy it.

My freind got married for the second time last year (her DH's first). She wanted an elaborate wedding gown (more elaborate and elegant than the first), so she got one, and no one was going to say anything about it being her second marriage. She looked beautiful! Where what makes you feel special on your day!

i say just do it! i know there's tradition but if its what you want then have what you want! if anyone has a problem who cares its your wedding day!

these silly traditions get in the way of what the day is supposed to be about. i mean the white dress is supposed to respresent the virginal bride but how many people who can say that they were when they got married? i bet you its very small

so if we all can wear white even though its not technically right then so can you

If you want white, I say GO FOR IT!!! It's your special day and tradition usually does say not too, but ya know its 2008 not 1908!!!!!
:dance3:

This is my 2nd wedding and my 2nd white dress. This one is a real brilliant white!

We're not ones for tradition and I say if you like a particular thing - GO FOR IT!!

Wear THE dress, no matter what the color is!

I think a lot of old tradition can be thrown out nowadays hehe. Unless you have a super old fashioned family/group of friends, just ignore the whole thing. And even then, it's YOUR wedding, YOUR day, just do what makes you happy. :goodvibes

I think it all boils down to what you feel comfortable in. I think with second marriages being more common, a lot of brides are wearing white at their second wedding. If you want to go in the white color palette, you could go with ivory or maybe a lovely champagne colored dress.

Thanks everyone, you guys are excellent. Since it's only going to be a very small ceremony, with myself, DF, my DD and 3 other family members (who have absolutly no idea this is even happening) I'll wear whatever dress I find that I fall in love with, whether it's white, ivory or green LOL.

Cheers

yeah for you..... we are planning a VR for our 20th in 2010 and I went back and fourth long time about what kind of dress to wear... I kept hearing in my head don't pick something too weddingish(spelling?)or too costly but in the end I went with a dress I fell in love with and you should too!Heck If I can do it so can you....good luck with all your plans:goodvibes

My wedding was my second and dh's first. I was going to go with something simple and ivory. First off, ivory looked awful on me. So, I started looking at other simple dresses, and he finally said that while it was my second wedding, it was his first. He wanted to see his bride in a 'real' wedding dress. We searched together and found the perfect dress!

My aunt got married three times and for her third wedding she wore a big white dress!

I say wear a white dress!! :goodvibes

Another vote for the white dress. :goodvibes
BTW... Why don't they have these weird traditions for men?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter