2nd bad experience on Spaceship Earth

chrisney

Mouseketeer
Yesterday was the second consecutive poor experience at Spaceship Earth. a month ago we tried to ride, they told me to park my scooter to wait for a wheelchair and forgot about me. Yesterday made that look insignificant. I have Crohns with all that entails and so have COPD. Require 24/7 oxygen and can't walk more than about 20 feet without significant shortness of breath. My husband has a Left Ventricular Assist device and my son also requires a scooter due to severe Crohns and loss of muscle mass. They both said they could walk up the ramp, but that I could not, and they could not push me. Fine. But when I got out, one of the cast members informed me that I would have to get myself down as there were two other members of my party. No discussion. They literally put their chair (thankfully locked) in front of the car and that was it. My son managed to get me down, but then had to sit for an extended (30-45 minute) period before we could go on,

Disney has always been my happy place. We first visited in 1987. Before October 2023, I had visited approximately 38 times. We moved to Orlando in October because frankly both my husband and I are "on the downward slope". We thought it would be a great way to spend however much time we have left with something that has been a very special part of our lives. It hasn't been special. 'And I'm sad.

Just trying to understand the situation. The CM would not help you out of the ride vehicle because you had 2 people with you?

Just trying to understand the situation. The CM would not help you out of the ride vehicle because you had 2 people with you?
Sorry, I'll try to be clearer. Yesterday m,y family rode Spaceship Earth I needed to switch from ECV to chair. I have COPD which requires 24/7 oxygen and cannot walk up a ramp, or any distance. My husband uses a walker due to what is essentially an implant that functions as the left side of his heart. He cannot push me. My son has severe Crohns and has spent a month out of the last 6 hospitalized. When he went in, he weighed 87 pound at age 41 He has no muscle mass or strength. The two of them decided they could walk it. A cast member did wheel me up. Rode. When it was time to get out, a different CM locked a chair at the point where I was to exit, and informed me that because there were two other people in my party it was my/their responsibility to get me back down. No discussion

The time a month ago, they told me to park my scooter and I sat for more than 45 minutes. We finally asked, and they said they forgot about me during a cast location switchover. And they would see if rhey could find a wheelchair. Waited a few minutes more and left. I did tell the DM as we left that it was the first time I'd ever felt like a burden or inconvenience.

Sorry, I'll try to be clearer. Yesterday m,y family rode Spaceship Earth I needed to switch from ECV to chair. I have COPD which requires 24/7 oxygen and cannot walk up a ramp, or any distance. My husband uses a walker due to what is essentially an implant that functions as the left side of his heart. He cannot push me. My son has severe Crohns and has spent a month out of the last 6 hospitalized. When he went in, he weighed 87 pound at age 41 He has no muscle mass or strength. The two of them decided they could walk it. A cast member did wheel me up. Rode. When it was time to get out, a different CM locked a chair at the point where I was to exit, and informed me that because there were two other people in my party it was my/their responsibility to get me back down. No discussion

The time a month ago, they told me to park my scooter and I sat for more than 45 minutes. We finally asked, and they said they forgot about me during a cast location switchover. And they would see if rhey could find a wheelchair. Waited a few minutes more and left. I did tell the DM as we left that it was the first time I'd ever felt like a burden or inconvenience.
I'm so sorry you had this experience (as well as for your whole family). I'm not sure what the right answer is. Unless maybe there wasn't a 2nd CM around to help with the unloading/loading, maybe there just wasn't enough "manpower" to spare?

I'm so sorry you had this experience (as well as for your whole family). I'm not sure what the right answer is. Unless maybe there wasn't a 2nd CM around to help with the unloading/loading, maybe there just wasn't enough "manpower" to spare?
Possible, but should the response be that because I had 2 other people in my party I'd have to get myself down? (I can't swear that is verbatim, but it's darn close)? I wonder what would have happened if my son didn't have the strength to maintain control on the down ramp? Or if my husband tried to do it and caused a problem with his pump--had that happened we would have had around 5 minutes to figure out the problem get him down on the floor, open his travel bag of extra batteries/controller and pray it was one of them. After 5 minutes, he's dead. The SM didn't ask if there was some reason they couldn't help, nor did she give me a chance to explain. I don't mind waiting.
I don't mind not going on things that are publicized as being NON ADA compliant. (Example...Swiss Family Treehouse. 2nd floor of Columbia Harbor House.) I do mind being ADA compliant until I'm stuck.

Possible, but should the response be that because I had 2 other people in my party I'd have to get myself down? (I can't swear that is verbatim, but it's darn close)? I wonder what would have happened if my son didn't have the strength to maintain control on the down ramp? Or if my husband tried to do it and caused a problem with his pump--had that happened we would have had around 5 minutes to figure out the problem get him down on the floor, open his travel bag of extra batteries/controller and pray it was one of them. After 5 minutes, he's dead. The SM didn't ask if there was some reason they couldn't help, nor did she give me a chance to explain. I don't mind waiting.
I don't mind not going on things that are publicized as being NON ADA compliant. (Example...Swiss Family Treehouse. 2nd floor of Columbia Harbor House.) I do mind being ADA compliant until I'm stuck.
Definitely not arguing but maybe the CM didn't understand that DH and DS could physically not help? Maybe they would've if they knew that neither could assist. Just trying figure out so the next time you encounter this you'll have a better experience?

I didn’t think that cast members were supposed to assist - huge liability issues .

Sorry you were “forgotten” and left waiting. That isn’t right.

As to pushing an attraction wheelchair that seems to be a bit of a gray area — if there is an extra CM available they may push, but I think the reports I’ve seen are about 50/50 with many told no.

CMs are not required to provide physical assistance for loading/unloading, though. It is expected that your party will help each other as needed. I’m not sure how much assistance you need, but you may need to bring a friend along if you plan to do certain attractions that you find difficult.

I’m sorry your family is finding the parks so challenging to access. Other than bringing a helper, I’m not sure you should be expecting WDW to provide that level of assistance.

DH has never asked for help, but has had CMs offer more than just a steadying hand, for example at Jungle Cruise, helping him out of the boat. Not at all expected, it much appreciated with the large step up.

He also had at Knott's Berry Farm an employee there really physically almost pull him out of the boat, again he didn't ask for the assistance, the employee volunteered and it helped a lot, as it is very hard to get out of the log ride there.

Sorry you were “forgotten” and left waiting. That isn’t right.

As to pushing an attraction wheelchair that seems to be a bit of a gray area — if there is an extra CM available they may push, but I think the reports I’ve seen are about 50/50 with many told no.

CMs are not required to provide physical assistance for loading/unloading, though. It is expected that your party will help each other as needed. I’m not sure how much assistance you need, but you may need to bring a friend along if you plan to do certain attractions that you find difficult.

I’m sorry your family is finding the parks so challenging to access. Other than bringing a helper, I’m not sure you should be expecting WDW to provide that level of assistance.
As I've stated, I''m not trying to be entitled. If they'd said there was no assistance available I could have made a decision to not ride. It was as much being assisted up, and being told "tough" once there. There is no choice at that point.

As I've stated, I''m not trying to be entitled. If they'd said there was no assistance available I could have made a decision to not ride. It was as much being assisted up, and being told "tough" once there. There is no choice at that point.
Definitely makes sense to me and at that point, I would suggest just sitting there, stating that you were told assistance would be provided going back down or you wouldn't have gotten on in the first place. Point out that you had assistance going up, it.is only reasonable to expect it getting off the ride as well.

I would suggest just sitting there
Agree it was a predicament and while I understand the logic, OP never said she requested assistance or informed anyone that assistance would be needed. Just sitting there may not have forced a CM to assist, though. It could have resulted in a ride closure and wait for Reedy Creek to do the evacuation. That would be protocol. Not sure it is any more or less desirable of a situation than she was in though.

In the future, I recommend informing the load CM of any assistance that may be needed before actually boarding the ride vehicle.

Agree it was a predicament and while I understand the logic, OP never said she requested assistance or informed anyone that assistance would be needed. Just sitting there may not have forced a CM to assist, though. It could have resulted in a ride closure and wait for Reedy Creek to do the evacuation. That would be protocol. Not sure it is any more or less desirable of a situation than she was in though.

In the future, I recommend informing the load CM of any assistance that may be needed before actually boarding the ride vehicle.
I'd have thought that a CM pushing the chair up to the entrance to the vehicle might have been "informing".
Should I have stopped before boarding to tell the CMs at that part of the ride that I would need the same assistance that I was receiving? A CM pushed ,me up. They refused the same assistance they had already provided on the way out. The load CM saw the other CM wheel me to the vehicle. ^^^^^Had they said they couldn't help me I would have chosen not to ride. I wouldn[t have yelled. I wouldn't have played the victim.^^^^^ They didn't, so we were stuck. Fortunately, there were no problems that were more than temporary and my son had the strength to manage the chair down the ramp. He's gained almost 20 pounds and might almost weigh 100 pounds at the age of 41;

I'd have thought that a CM pushing the chair up to the entrance to the vehicle might have been "informing".
Pushing a wheelchair to the ride vehicle is actually quite different from informing them you'll need help getting back into the chair at the end of the attraction. In fact, pushing the chair to the vehicle is different than helping you load into the ride vehicle.

I wasn't there and don't know exactly how it all went down, what was said, to whom or at what point. I'm sure it was a very stressful situation, very frustrating and scary for you and your family. Someone helped you initially but was not there to provide similar assistance a few minutes later; the CM who was there was not willing (or possibly not able) to provide that assistance. CMs move positions or roles throughout the day; they have breaks or even scheduled shift end. in re-reading the thread, I'm a little confused -- was it only wheelchair assistance you needed or assistance into/out of the ride vehicle. I would think that waiting for a CM to push a wheelchair would eventually get you some assistance -- either from a CM or a helpful guest. But if it was in/out of the ride vehicle, that has always been policy that the assistance must be provided by your own party.

The take-away is that 1) never expect physical assistance from the CMs, and 2) if you do need assistance that your own party cannot help with, be sure to inform the CM(s) before boarding the attraction.

Pushing a wheelchair to the ride vehicle is actually quite different from informing them you'll need help getting back into the chair at the end of the attraction. In fact, pushing the chair to the vehicle is different than helping you load into the ride vehicle.

I wasn't there and don't know exactly how it all went down, what was said, to whom or at what point. I'm sure it was a very stressful situation, very frustrating and scary for you and your family. Someone helped you initially but was not there to provide similar assistance a few minutes later; the CM who was there was not willing (or possibly not able) to provide that assistance. CMs move positions or roles throughout the day; they have breaks or even scheduled shift end. in re-reading the thread, I'm a little confused -- was it only wheelchair assistance you needed or assistance into/out of the ride vehicle. I would think that waiting for a CM to push a wheelchair would eventually get you some assistance -- either from a CM or a helpful guest. But if it was in/out of the ride vehicle, that has always been policy that the assistance must be provided by your own party.
Enough said.
The take-away is that 1) never expect physical assistance from the CMs, and 2) if you do need assistance that your own party cannot help with, be sure to inform the CM(s) before boarding the attraction.
Just to clear the confusion.
1. At no point did I ask or expect any assistance to enter/exit the ride vehicle.
2. At no point did I ask/expect to be touched by the cast member, nor did I ask/expecct them to load or unload me.
3. A CM pushed me up the ramp and positioned the chair so that I could ON MY OWN enter the ride vehicle. She knew my husband and son left their own scooter and rollator behind and walked.
4. After the ride, a CM placed a locked wheelchair ein front of the ride vehicle. At no time was there physical assistance. When we said I would need assistance to get down the ramp, a cast member informed me that because I had two other people in my party I had to get myself down.
It appears we each have our own perspective. Again, I state that I do not feel entitled to this service. It enables me to ride, but I respect that I might not be able to ride lots of things. Just tell me, and follow through if you decide to assist in my ability to partake on what most people just assume they can do. It is appreciated.
So they accommodated me on half of the ride. The half where I had no choices about whether to ride or not was not treated with the same level of accommodation . I do not accept your spin. You don't put a guest in the position of requiring something that might prove dangerous to the guest, her party, or god forbid other guests.

Enough said.
1. At no point did I ask or expect any assistance to enter/exit the ride vehicle.
2. At no point did I ask/expect to be touched by the cast member, nor did I ask/expecct them to load or unload me.
3. A CM pushed me up the ramp and positioned the chair so that I could ON MY OWN enter the ride vehicle. She knew my husband and son left their own scooter and rollator behind and walked.
4. After the ride, a CM placed a locked wheelchair ein front of the ride vehicle. At no time was there physical assistance. When we said I would need assistance to get down the ramp, a cast member informed me that because I had two other people in my party I had to get myself down.
It appears we each have our own perspective. Again, I state that I do not feel entitled to this service. It enables me to ride, but I respect that I might not be able to ride lots of things. Just tell me, and follow through if you decide to assist in my ability to partake on what most people just assume they can do. It is appreciated.
So they accommodated me on half of the ride. The half where I had no choices about whether to ride or not was not treated with the same level of accommodation . I do not accept your spin. You don't put a guest in the position of requiring something that might prove dangerous to the guest, her party, or god forbid other guests.

Enough said.

I think this is very reasonable to expect and I’m not sure what you yourself could have done beyond what you had expressed. Looking back you maybe could have stressed you would need to help and be pushed back down the ramp by a cast member at the time you were getting ready to ride. But I agree that it was pretty much implied…and you wouldn’t have known to make sure etc. if they pushed you up you’d expect to be pushed back down. That’s reasonable. What seems to happen is probably a shift change and maybe that CM assumed you had help with your party. They only thing you could have done was maybe try to explain that they are unable to help and you needs assistance going down the ramp while on the chair. But I know how chaotic and rushed it all is at unloading and they CM might have just moved on.

I’m sorry this happened to you and I’m not sure there was anything more at that moment you could have done.

Definitely makes sense to me and at that point, I would suggest just sitting there, stating that you were told assistance would be provided going back down or you wouldn't have gotten on in the first place. Point out that you had assistance going up, it.is only reasonable to expect it getting off the ride as well.
But no one told her that assistance would be available coming down did they?

It’s up to the guest to let CMs know what they need, and frankly expecting CMs to push guests in wheelchairs in unreasonable, IMO.

Assuming a CM will push either way is an assumption, not a reasonable expectation. At unloading, the CM, unless told otherwise, may not have known that the other members of the OP's party had limitations (and, in my opinion, it is still the OP's responsibility to have a pusher). It's usually helpful to state and restate assistance needs unless there is a well-known mark ( such as a wheelchair symbol on the ride vehicle AND a recognition by all parties assistance is needed).

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter