25K steps a day can we talk about socks?

I usually wear Keen sandals during the day (with something similar to Bodyglide/Footglide on my feet first) to let my feet breathe when it's warm and to have them dry fast if I go on a water ride, and change into "real shoes" and socks in the evening. I just wear Puma athletic socks (from a multipack from Costco) and Adidas Ultraboost shoes. Might have to check out those Bombas socks, though.

I'll chime in to say BOMBAS are indeed the bomb! Totally worth every penny. The low rise style shown in a prior post have amazing arch support and cushioning. But, I wear the compression version... the long socks. They not only allow me to hike 8 miles routinely with my walking group with zero swelling but it keeps my RA pain at bay. They are truly miracle socks. I have more than a dozens pairs of Bombas in every style/color and I just got a new delivery yesterday! I'm a super fan.

ETA: for the ladies Bombas tall compression socks look really cute with a tennis skirt when exercising. Just a little style tip from me. ;)

I'm just wondering what socks most people find comfortable with so many steps. I'm thinking extra cushioning in the balls of the feet would be good but i'm sure some prefer the ones tighter in the arch. just curious.
I wear two, a very thin dress sock (it might add a smidge of compression since it’s new and tight) and then a “normal” sock. Between the two and tightly laced shoes I’ve completely eliminated any issues with sores from excessive walking. I can be in the parks 12 hours each day for a week and zero issues… other then legs getting worn out from being on my feet so long, but sit down lunches and dinners greatly help to keep the endurance up.

I've started watching youtube videos on hiking. These are folks who are serious hikers. i figured if anyone knows what to wear when walking more than 10 miles a day it'll be them. socks and sock liners have been mentioned as good ideas, wool/synthetic blends seem to be a biggie. cotton is a big no no. All happens to be exactly what people are finding success with here.

Socks aren't a big deal to me. 9/10 I wear whatever basic socks are currently in rotation from Walmart (so Peds or Avia, most likely). That 1/10 is when I have on my compression socks from/for my flight.

As far as avoiding foot pain, I have a pretty solid routine that seems to work well for me. Of course, this isn't meant as medical advice. Please consult your personal medical provider!

Most importantly, change shoes/socks mid-day. I tend to go from my Asics to my Sketcher sandals or vice versa depending on the day. On my trip last week, one day (*one!*) I didn't change mid-day, and my feet were substantially more cranky by the end of the day! I try to remember to take some ibuprofen at this time too, assuming I've had lunch, or am on my way to do so.

When getting back to my motel, I take another full dose of ibuprofen for it's anti-inflammatory properties. I then start the shower, and sit on the edge of the tub while I soak my tootsies in hot water for 10-15 minutes. Afterwards, I will rub mint lotion or body butter into my feet. They "hate" it and are super-sensitive at that point, but it helps me relax. Bath and Body Works has a wonderful eucalyptus and spearmint body butter that's lovely! Even my hubs doesn't mind using it.

When I follow my routine, I usually wake up without any soreness. This last trip, we had my 7yo grandson with us, and I didn't do my nightly foot/leg soaks, and could tell the difference each morning :-(

I wore my Vivo Barefoot shoes in DTD tonight, and I'll probably wear them in the park some tomorrow. They are ridiculously comfortable, but I'm adjusting to the "barefoot" thing and have to go slow, only 1-2 hours at a time.

Disneyland isn't too hard on my feet AS LONG AS MY SHOES HAVE GIVE. I do love Balega Zulu socks, though, which I only discovered about 4 years ago. Haven't tried Bombas but I'll have to check them out. I'm also very fond of Smartwools, though I feel like the quality has diminished in the last few years. But that could be because I buy them when they go on sale on Zulily.

Most important for me is making sure my shoes aren't too tight. I have VERY wide feet and need shoes that will stretch/accommodate that, especially after a ton of walking. My feet are not picky about what type of footwear I have as long as they have give. I'm fine in cheap flip-flops, boots, pretty much anything as long as it doesn't constrict the top of my foot (like where you tie your shoes) or that width just below the toes. Trouble is, something can feel fine when you start out but if/when your feet swell, watch out.

I once wore some cute shoes for Dapper Day that felt good at first. With walking, my feet began to swell and I finally had to remove my shoes in DTD and hobble into the shoe store where I bought a pair of Sanuk sandals and threw the pretty shoes in the trash. I had blisters and sore feet for quite some time afterward.

Last edited:
So I bought a pair of Bombas today. Questioned whether i was still sane after paying that much for a pair of socks and then wore them to the gym after dinner for a 1.5 mile walk (which is more than i've done in the past). I wanted to really test them out and i'd been planning on extending my walk to two birds right? Verdict is- They're worth it! No hot spots, no rubbing and cushy feeling the whole time i walked. Much better than my run of the mill hanes. I'll continue to lengthen my walk. trying to get up to two miles by the end of the week and if my experience changes i'll say something but for now. We have a winner!

So I bought a pair of Bombas today. Questioned whether i was still sane after paying that much for a pair of socks and then wore them to the gym after dinner for a 1.5 mile walk (which is more than i've done in the past). I wanted to really test them out and i'd been planning on extending my walk to two birds right? Verdict is- They're worth it! No hot spots, no rubbing and cushy feeling the whole time i walked. Much better than my run of the mill hanes. I'll continue to lengthen my walk. trying to get up to two miles by the end of the week and if my experience changes i'll say something but for now. We have a winner!
Thanks for the review! I ordered some and can't wait to try them out :)

You guys are making me want some of those Disney Bombas!!!

<throught gritted teeth> Must. Be. Practical. Order. Only. One. Plain. Pair.
Same! I already buy Balega running socks and that's steep for me. They're roughly the same price but I have been able to get them quite a bit cheaper through a shop in town. I was going to buy some on Amazon (the Balegas) but there were a lot of warnings in the more recent reviews that they were knock offs and not genuine Balega. Anyway, I love those but I'm curious to see how the Bombas compare.

Hmmm delving further into a few sock offerings, I see that Bombas are a ~60% cotton/~40% poly + 'other stuff' blend. I've always felt that, based on my experience, cotton is NOT good sock material as far as moisture wicking and breathability are concerned, nor is any form of polyester. So to me they'd be fine dry and in cold weather, but wouldn't be a very good hot weather or water ride sock.

Any Bombas fans care to comment?

I never used to care about socks. Hanes were great. Til I tried Bombas. After wearing them for about a month, I grabbed a pair of Hanes (laundry needed to be done) and after just a couple hours, I knew Bombas were the only way to go. Let's add, they have Disney socks now! (Wearing Pluto's as I type.)They aren't cheap, but I can't go back now.

View attachment 667422
Can I ask what makes them different than "normal" socks to you? Gotta say, as I age (ahem) I dont mind spending more for thinks that are better quality...

Hmmm delving further into a few sock offerings, I see that Bombas are a ~60% cotton/~40% poly + 'other stuff' blend. I've always felt that, based on my experience, cotton is NOT good sock material as far as moisture wicking and breathability are concerned, nor is any form of polyester. So to me they'd be fine dry and in cold weather, but wouldn't be a very good hot weather or water ride sock.

Any Bombas fans care to comment?
You're right! Cotton is not recommended.

Bombas Followup- I bought some and they're nice and soft. But a question for other Bombas wearers...are they hot in the summer? I usually just wear cute K Bell socks so the thickness of the Bombas makes me wonder if my feet will get hot in the parks. I've only worn them a few times and it isn't very hot around where I live so I can't really tell yet.

I wear the Puma socks from Costco. I just bought new ones for my trip next week. They are sorta no show/ ankle and fitted at arch. Come in men's and women's. Hubby and I think they are awesome.

I agree with bringing extra socks to DL, if one must wear socks at least let them be 'fresh'.

Yes, this!! We were at Plaza Inn, and someone took their shoes off....needless to say, I didn't eat much for breakfast that day. Very off-putting at 10am.

2 pairs. Next to the foot a very thin sock that wicks moisture and then a more comfy cotton sock as the outer layer. This is what I did when I was running, did a half marathon and never had any foot problems.

I got the big packs of bombas for my kids and I for our trip to Disneyland last weekend. We are all pretty obsessed with them now. I won’t let them wear them around the house because I don’t want them to get worn out. They ignore me and wear them around the house anyway! Since previous poster asked, It was high 70’s/low 80’s and we were overheating and reaching for the cooling towels. Feet felt good in the bombas though. No sweat. We love them. Thanks for the recommendation, guys!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter