C. Ann I dont have a clue about the slippers maybe some socks with rubber soles.

About the nurse you need to talk to the head nurse about switching. I had to do it myself when Mom was in the hospital. Didn't have any problems with getting her out of there. Hopefullly one the nurses here can help you with that.

Again Prayers and hugs with you and your family.

C.Ann - I hope someone has some ideas re the slippers.

As far as the nurse - family MUST be the advocate for the patient. I would think that you could speak up to the charge nurse and say that there seems to be a personality clash, and that you'd be more comfortable with someone else. I wouldn't make any accusations, but rather take it on as just a personal preference. I'm not sure how the VA hierarchy does stuff like assigning staff, but hopefully, you can figure out who to talk to (patient advocate, maybe?)

Good luck - I hope you get some other ideas.

(you & your family continue to be in my prayers)

I would call area stores to see if they have the sizes you're looking for before running around. And with the nursing care, you might talk to the nursing supervisor on duty. There should be someone. Good luck!

I agree, talk to the head nurse, on ANY shift and, explain the 'conflict'. I'm sure they can do something.

And, you're wise actually to think about non-slip soles for slippers. At least around here, the hospital-issue ones are slipper-socks, no traction. Can't understand that myself! But, the ones you get at even a Walgreens, will help, when DH starts to walk again! (Prayers for that day!) Regular slippers will slip off his foot when he's in bed but, those slipper-socks stay put and, many patients have cold feet anyway, the socks might feel good.

BTW, can they give him a diauretic (sp?) to reduce his swelling?

More {{HUGS}} C.Ann!

C. Ann, Oh dear I am so sorry to hear that your dh has been hospitalized. I hope you will be able to get some rest soon.

As for the fluid retention, ask doc a couple of ?'s re the problem, hopefully doc will add a medication and TED Hose to help reduce the edema. Also if it is ok with doc, have dh do ankle pumps, circles, quad sets... all of these will help reduce the edema.
As for the nurse.. totally agreeing with everyone else. Ask to have nurse reassigned immediately. You don't have to make a big fuss just give a simple clear reason for your request to head nurse on duty when you arrive, even the VA will reassign without much difficulty. Make sure that Director of nursing is aware of the need for reassignment also so that it remains that way for your dh's hospital stay.

As for the slippers, I used to have my patients families bring in rubber sandals that have the wide adjustable velcro tab across the top of the foot.. the type of sandals you slide your foot into. It is not my favorite type of footwear for patients but it is better than nothing at all.
God Bless you both,
Joan

I too was going to suggest slipper socks instead. I know that is what we gave my grandmother the last time she was in because slippers kept falling off her feet easily and she tripped and almost fell because of them.

As for the nurse... I'd talk to someone in charge and nicely explain the situation. We've done it before and they are usually understanding and have even asked if we wanted to file a formal complaint (one nurse didn't follow proper feeding schedules for my grandmother).

Good luck with everything and more prayers for you and DH! {{hugs}}

Ann I am so sorry to hear about your husband.
YOu could try an orthopedic shoe store for slippers. I know they will be more expensive but will have shoes in a wide variety. Also medical equipment stores.
My FIL has chronic swelling in his feet, ankles and this is where he has to buy his shoes and stuff.
Good luck with the nurse I would speak to some one too.

No additional advice other than to reiterate what others have said, speak to the head nurse, but wanted to let you know that I will keep you both in my prayers.
Hugs!
CC

Walmart had some really large slippers when daddy needed them. I wonder if they could give him some Lasix to help drain off that fluid. I would ask for a new nurse. Surely there is someone on at that time that would be friendly and caring. Hang in there, you are doing the best for your dh. :)

One side thought. The VA usually has some slippers that stretches pretty big. Maybe you could ask them first...

I would definately speak to one of the head nurses. We had a "clash" with a resident when dd was in the hospital and just casually mentioned it to one of the nurses. Then the head nurse came to talk to us and then one day the head of the residency program came to talk to me. They take these things seriously. So definately talk to someone. (((((HUGS)))) to you and prayers.

Best wishes and prayers are with you.

Onto the shoes...other than the slipper socks that have been suggested, I know that Payless Shoes often has extra wide shoes for sale.

Totes makes nice slipper socks. If you have outlet shopping nearby and a Totes store in it, you can definitely get them there. They're basically socks with a rubbery material on the bottom to prevent slipping.

Regarding the nurse, it probably wouldn't hurt to discuss your concerns with your DH's main doctor. He/she may be able to do something about who else is assigned to care for your hubby.

{{{hugs}}} C. Ann. Don't forget to eat something today, either!

C.Ann, with regard to the fluid retention problem, I would talk to his doctor and see if a Physical Therapist can see your DH, even for what is called "passive" range of motion. I don't knoeww how much he is moving, but my guess is that if he is in ICU, he's not moving too much. Fluid tends to pool at that point, and even increasing the limb movement a little bit will help. The Physical Therapist may also be able to give you guidance as to where something like an extra wide slipper can be purchased. I know there are catalogs etc that have specialty items like that, and often the therapists have access to that info.If the doctor decides against the Physical Therapy for the moment, and he/she may, depending on what your DH's condition is, then take a walk to the PT Dept and ask them about the slipper info.

As far as the nurse, I would definitiely go to the supervisor of the unit and speak with her about not having that person assigned to your DH anymore. I know on my floor, my supervisor welcomes complaints(as well as compliments!)from family, and would prefer to hear about while the patient is still there and the situation can be rectified. Rest assured, your husband's care won't suffer if you complain, and if you feel it is, every supervisor has a supervisor, and so on, and you keep going until you get satisfaction. You may also be doing the supervisor a favor, because she may have had several complaints about this particular employee, and yours may be the straw that breaks the camel's back, as far as enabling her to do something about it. If there's one frustration my own supervisor has, it's that she needs multiple complaints against a problem employee(enough evidence/documentation for the lawsuit!)before she can take action.

Hopefully, I've been helpful C.Ann. My continued prayers for you, your DH, and your family. God Bless!

Thanks so much for the advice and info..
C.Ann

For larger shoes, try a Big & Tall store. They may carry wider sizes.

I hope you get somewhere with that nursing staff.

C. Ann, have been following this; all I can say is, I can feel your heartache.

Don't worry about the slippers or the socks. From how you described DH's legs and the fluid, I don't think you'd want to wear either on him at this time.

As far as the nurse is concerned, just tell them you don't want her caring for DH any longer; he has patient rights and you are his advocate as any poster noted. I really wouldn't worry about anyone's feelings but yours and his right now. One less aggravation. She's there to serve you, not the other way around.

I've been in similar situations, not as acute, with the folks. You feel so helpless. May God be with you all.

My hospital has a risk management team for the situation you describe with the nurse. All you have to do is ask the nurse on duty and she should have them come to you. A social worker could also help. The charge nurse is a good idea, and I know you have already went to the hospital so you may have already done something. I still think you need to talk to a social worker or risk management, they will follow up.

Please don't worry about shoes/ socks. You can split the socks part way down but it is really in his best interest not to have anything on. Hopefully, when he is ready to have his feet on the floor they will be smaller. Skin care is so important and you don't want to compromise his circulation with too tight footwear.

Keep open communication with his nurses, they can be a great support for you. But keep in mind they understand that you might be not yourself sometimes. Most nurses won't hold it against you. The one is unprofessional and needs to be reported.

My thoughts are with you

If there is a drug store, etc. that sells diabetic supplies in your area they might have the extra wide and big slippers. We have a store that just sells and rents hospital beds, wheel chairs, etc. and they have a lot of diabetic supplies. Hope this helps some.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter