C. Ann-

I have never tried the Parmalat, I only know of it from seeing it on store shelves. The sell it all over - I think it is more popular/well known in Europe.

one thing I did read said that person thought it was fine and their was some comment about a similar product by Horizon not tasting well at all.

:)

ETA: I have had Parmalat Gelato and it was awesome!

I don't get it, why would living on a lake require you to stockpile groceries? :confused3 My family and I lived in a lakeside cottage for years and never stockpiled groceries- not even when idiots touted the end of the world during Y2K.

I appreciate preparedness, but hysteria not so much.

I suppose it depends where your lakeside cottage is. Assuming you're in a location where you never have to worry about flooding, blizzards, power outages, tornadoes, hurricanes or other natural disasters, I guess you don't really need an emergency kit.

We have a roadside emergency kit in our car, a "survival kit" for a few days in our home...it's not about hysteria, it's about being prepared in case you can't make a run to the local Walmart.

The OP's point was to help people to decide what they should have on-hand in case they need it - not because there's imminent danger from little green men from mars, or a disease a la Steven King's "The Stand."

I am the queen of disasters.
Betsy - Hurricane 1965 New Orleans
Katrina - Hurricane 2005 New Orleans
Tornado - Little Rock, 2008
Tornado - Houston 1979
Alicia Hurricane - Houston 1983
Lomo Prieta Earthquake - San Francisco 1989
Ice Storm - Little Rock 2001
Oakland Fires -1991

Plus some really bad winter storms in Pittsburgh 1978

Essentials: Water, batteries, food that does not need to be cooked (or refrigerated) and a radio or tv that runs on batteries.

I have months worth of food in Little Rock. I have virtually nothing in New Orleans - ever seen a refrigerator full of seafood after 5 weeks of no power??? maggots beyond belief.

Don't forget to have proper ID. You may not be allowed back into your neighborhood without ID.

My assistant teacher is a Mormon and as we were talking about this flu yesterday, she said that "food storage" is and has always been part of the Mormon culture. They are told to have a year's worth of food stored. WHile I think that may be a little much, I think at least a month is smart. If your area is hit hard with this flu, you may not want to be going out to the grocery store. I know in my town, Walmart is always packed!

She pointed me to the LDS(Latter Day Saints) website. If you do a search for food storage, there are all kinds of links about what to store and how much. Lots of good tips for anyone.
I am planning on getting lots of canned and other easily stored foods tomorrow when I get paid. I will get a few underbed storage bins to store it in. I am also getting distilled water(around 20 gallons) and batteries. I am not in panic mode, but feel like it is good to be prepared for an emergency.

Marsha

The site she was talking about is http://providentliving.org/.

Also, don't forget to keep a kit in the car. I have the basics--water, MRE's, and first aid.

And a few more items for your kits/storage:
1. Plastic gloves, like the doctor kind. It's sanitary, and you never know if you'll need them for an emergency.
2. Earplugs. I've heard that the emergency shelters can get pretty loud, and these will help drown out the sound.
3. I was trying to decide which powder milk to get for our food storage, and a couple of people recommended "something-Moo's" as the best kind, so that's what I got.

Storage:
Under the bed, the topmost shelf, inder the dresser, or simply pick a portion of the closet and fill up some large storage containers. I think the most important thing is to do the best you can. When we first started, we only had one shelf available. I have known people who kept the food storage in boxes, stacked them one or two high, sewed a cover in pretty fabric, and used it for an end table. Go figure.

I don't get it, why would living on a lake require you to stockpile groceries? :confused3 My family and I lived in a lakeside cottage for years and never stockpiled groceries- not even when idiots touted the end of the world during Y2K.

I appreciate preparedness, but hysteria not so much.
-------------------

I'm not talking about "stockpiling" a years worth of food..:rotfl:

I live here alone 7 months out of the year.. For part of that time, there is no one else up here (think boondocks).. I'm not in a "town" - with stores and such.. Last year I spent quite a bit of time "stranded" here (due to health issues which kept me housebound) and were it not for the fact that my DD and her family came up most weekends (prior to the seasonal folks arriving) there are any number of things I could have run short of (that in my case are imperative to have on hand) - or situations that might have occured weather-wise that would require items I might not normally keep on hand.. So being "prepared" is important.. You said "My family and I" living on a lake.. I'm assuming that means more than one person was in the household - correct? Not the case here.. :) Believe me - I'm far from being "hysterical".. I've basically been "put in my place" on 2 threads here on the CB for NOT being in panic mode..;) I'm trying to encourage others to remain calm - to keep things in perspective - and focus on the positives - rather than the negatives -of this whole swine flu hysteria.. But evidently, that's not what some people want to hear..

So - I started this thread for two reasons.. One: For those people who do think they have to prepare for the worst case scenario with this swine flu situation (and nothing anyone says is going to change their minds).. If you can't change their minds, then you might as well offer them something that is going to make them feel safer..:goodvibes - and Two: As a general thread for people who need (or want) to prepare for natural disasters that occur every year - hurricanes; tornadoes; floods; blizzards; lengthy power outtages; etc..

I've experienced all kinds of situations here at the lake for the 50+ years I have been coming here.. Technology is changing - people are offering suggestions for items available now that may not have been available 20 years ago.. Some might be useful to me - some not so much - but I hate to spend money on anything without hearing from other people that the item is worthwhile or functions the way it's supposed to..:)

So - there you have it.. No "hysteria" - no "panic" - just a bunch of people sharing ideas with others that might come in handy..

So do you have anything you'd like to share? All those years on the lake there must have been at least one or two times when you ran out of something, couldn't get to the store, were caught in a terrible storm, or wished you had remembered to have "such and such" on hand..;)

The OP's point was to help people to decide what they should have on-hand in case they need it - not because there's imminent danger from little green men from mars, or a disease a la Steven King's "The Stand."

Beautifully said.. :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I am the queen of disasters.
Betsy - Hurricane 1965 New Orleans
Katrina - Hurricane 2005 New Orleans
Tornado - Little Rock, 2008
Tornado - Houston 1979
Alicia Hurricane - Houston 1983
Lomo Prieta Earthquake - San Francisco 1989
Ice Storm - Little Rock 2001
Oakland Fires -1991

Plus some really bad winter storms in Pittsburgh 1978

Essentials: Water, batteries, food that does not need to be cooked (or refrigerated) and a radio or tv that runs on batteries.

I have months worth of food in Little Rock. I have virtually nothing in New Orleans - ever seen a refrigerator full of seafood after 5 weeks of no power??? maggots beyond belief.

Don't forget to have proper ID. You may not be allowed back into your neighborhood without ID.

Good grief, woman!! :eek: And you're still here to tell about it! LOL

The ID thing is a good suggestion.. Although I always have my purse (with my ID inside) if someone had to evacuate their home very quickly, it's something they might not think of.. Good one! :thumbsup2

Keep the suggestions coming! I've learned a few new things here - particularly about products that I didn't know were available..:goodvibes

I have known people who kept the food storage in boxes, stacked them one or two high, sewed a cover in pretty fabric, and used it for an end table. Go figure.

OK, I can be prepared for an emergency, but don't ask me to be crafty!

DH also reminded me...
1) We have a little propane camping stove

2) For the love of Mike people, don't use it inside!!

-------------

What is Parmalat Gelato? Never heard of that one either..:)

they were a chain of gelato stores. We had one in a local mall, but it went out years ago. The best gelato ever. It was made with the Parmalat milk, so I guess the milk can't be that bad!:)

they were a chain of gelato stores. We had one in a local mall, but it went out years ago. The best gelato ever. It was made with the Parmalat milk, so I guess the milk can't be that bad!:)

--------------

Thanks! I was confused for a minute there.. LOL

Changing the subject for a minute here - someone mentioned a propane camping stove - but indicated it should not be used indoors..

Aren't the small Coleman stoves - with the small propane tank on the side - safe for indoor use? I know that traditional "cook out" stoves and grills aren't, but when DD's DH was gutting their first house and doing it over, his mother used that small Coleman stove indoors every day to cook hot dogs or whatever for my son-in-law and his dad..:confused3

C. Ann this is great thread. Can I ask what state you live in? I assumed more east coast than west.....:confused3

For families with a "special needs" person, make sure all medications, equipment, every thing that makes them comfy is able to be grabbed, if needed. Plan ahead on how they can be moved. One of my kids is bi-polar. It is always better to discuss things that may happen in a safe way at the proper time, and not during the middle of a crises. Not only for kids, but for any person who can be confused or scared.

Also if anyone needs a comfy item to sleep or to help them be reassured, make sure you know where that is also!

This is one of the suggestions from the CDC page (which I'm now reading, since there are three suspected cases in my daughters town, which is about 2 hours north of NYC).

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/index.htm

Stay informed. This website will be updated regularly as information becomes available.

Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.

Take everyday actions to stay healthy.

Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.

Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.

Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.

Stay home if you get sick. CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them.

Follow public health advice regarding school closures, avoiding crowds and other social distancing measures.

Develop a family emergency plan as a precaution. This should include storing a supply of food, medicines, facemasks, alcohol-based hand rubs and other essential supplies.

My son is supposed to be coming from Ireland in two weeks, first to California, and then spending time in NYC, (taking the train back and forth from my daughters) for work. I'd miss seeing him, but I'd rather he not come over right now, and take a chance on taking this home to his (high risk) pregnant wife. I'm not usually a doom and gloom type of person, but this does make me nervous.

I am a firm believer in having food storage and emergency preparedness kits. Sure there is the "what-if" of a major disaster, but there are also smaller instances where such things could come in handy. For example, when pregnant with my daughter I ended up in the hospital for a week. My husband was a wreck, so I told him not to pack anything, just grab my 72-hour kit. It had the extra clothes and toiletries I needed to get through the week as well as some snacks. In a smaller case, now I have morning sickness and was in tears a few weeks ago because I was starving for protein but couldn't handle the thought of chicken or steak, so my husband went to our food storage and found some peanuts--a godsend at the time.

As to your original post (sorry about the tangent),
1. I think comfort food is a must. I stock up on chips and soda during the 4th of July/Memorial Day/Labor day sales.
2. Try to keep food on hand for meals you normally eat--pasta and spaghetti sauce, peanut butter and jelly, etc.
3. Someone mentioned keeping the propane tanks full. You may not have electricity, but you can always barbeque.
4. Don't forget shampoo, soap, toilet paper, feminine products, medicine, etc.
5. Have extra stuff on hand for your pets.
6. I keep books we've never read with our kits. Also, card games and puzzles.
7. Start small. I started with the 72-hour kit. Once that was done, I worked on getting two weeks, then one month to three to six months. We are trying to get a year's worth but it does take time.

There's a ton more, but this is off the top of my head.

Toilet paper. Toilet paper was the correct answer.

Wondering if anyone has run out of the all the cases of TP they bought? Guessing no.
Also;
  • Flour
  • Rice
  • Yeast
  • Pancake mix
  • Smaller extent, meat
Slightly OT - I used to go to Mammoth Mtn. quite a bit. Every time they get a big snowstorm everyone runs down to Vons and buys every last loaf of bread. It became the running joke; big storm headed in, guess I better go buy bread.

Holy cow! I can’t believe this thread was from 2009. I was reading it like why did they delete the title. Crazy!

Hmmm... Corndog was the first person to respond to this thread, and also was the one who resurrected it yesterday. I guess if you are updating your own zombie thread, it's ok...

Gave me a start seeing a C Ann thread this morning!

ford family

Same here..I got excited thinking maybe she was back to post an update, then sad when I realized it was just a zombie thread being brought back up. I always wonder how C.Ann is doing

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter