• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

20th and final year of Osbourne lights

I loved them when the backlot was actually open, and it made sense, since you could walk all over and immerse yourself in it. Not so much with after the backlot closed.

Sounds like maybe it was a 20 year contract?
No I definitely think that area is closing. Not a 20 year contract.

This is the worst Disney related news I can possibly imagine. I know it's a rumor every year, but this board has always given me the confidence to reassure people it is just that, a rumor, and that worst case they will find a home for them somewhere else. I don't understand why they would just get rid of something so popular. It is truly my favorite thing in all of WDW. I'd rather never ride ToT again than lose the lights.
I would bet the lights go somewhere else even if it's not Disney. There are also some amazing displays across the country.

I'm gratified that I have a trip planned to see the lights in November, but I'm very disappointed that it will be the last time. Aren't there pavilions in EPCOT that are empty & waiting to be filled with something like this? I don't exactly know how much real estate is available in Odyssey or WOL, but surely a lot!
Those are not buildings that really have the exterior to handle such things.

I really wasn't that impressed by them when I saw them last year. I mean yes, lots of lights and music. But also so ridiculously crowded you couldn't actually move around and enjoy them anyway. Plus there are so many places to enjoy light shows over the Christmas season, it didn't live up to the hype for me.
While I never saw them in person I always had wanted to. I do my own light display at my house. I obviously don't have over a million lights but I have over 15,000 maybe 20,000.

I mean what is there really to do in the streets of NY? That space could very well be better utilized.

When it was a working studio, they used the streets for filiming. Now that it's not a working studio, there's really no purpose to them other than the Osborne Lights. It's a huge space to use only 2 months a year.

I agree there really is no purpose for them other than the 2 months a year which is why it is happening. I really thought they would move them somewhere else. I understand it, but am greatly saddened by the news.

There was past rumors of them being renamed, perhaps they will reappear in a different form elsewhere in the future with a new name? It does specifically say the osbourne lights will not be back.

While I never saw them in person I always had wanted to. I do my own light display at my house. I obviously don't have over a million lights but I have over 15,000 maybe 20,000.

There's no doubt it was a big draw, probably the biggest thing to have been closed at DHS so far. I just found it kind of meh myself.

While I can't say I'll actually miss any of the announced closings (or most of the rumored ones) that lack of immediate replacements is an issue. 2016 could be a bleak year in that park. They'd better be planning a new show or two and while I had been thinking 2018 for Toy Story Land, I'm starting to think they'll really need it in 2017.

When it was a working studio, they used the streets for filiming. Now that it's not a working studio, there's really no purpose to them other than the Osborne Lights. It's a huge space to use only 2 months a year.
Exactly

This stinks. Disney at xmas time was one of the most magical places in the world.

First they got rid of the Lights of Winter. Then the garland on Main Street. Now the Osborne lights.

All the reasons to go during the holidays are gone. so sad

I would bet the lights go somewhere else even if it's not Disney. There are also some amazing displays across the country.

Someone at Universal Studios or SeaWorld should be all over this! A big opportunity for Universal to grab some of the huge Disney Christmas crowds. Does not make any sense for Disney to let go of such a popular event. I hope Disney keeps the lights or something similar somewhere on property. If not, I hope a competitor can make them rethink the decision.

Wow that sucks big time. The lights were one of my favorite things. I'll never forget the first time I saw them. Literally jawdropping.

Someone at Universal Studios or SeaWorld should be all over this! A big opportunity for Universal to grab some of the huge Disney Christmas crowds. Does not make any sense for Disney to let go of such a popular event. I hope Disney keeps the lights or something similar somewhere on property. If not, I hope a competitor can make them rethink the decision.

While Universal could grab a portion of the display and the name, most of the lights currently used in the show belong to Disney.

And the problem for Universal is they really don't have a good spot for a show like this. They won't put it in Diagon Alley and the city streets area gets blocked off for their Christmas Parade making it rather impractical to have a light display there as well.

I fly down almost every year to see those lights; they're that beautiful. It's how we begin the Christmas season early in Dec. THIS is a deal-breaker for me. I won't be going anymore if they do away with the Osborn Lights; I was about to cancel my reservations today until I saw that they will still have the display this year. This is a really bad decision on Disney's part. Typical of Disney lately...deliver less and charge more!

What a SHAME!:sad: Saw them for the first time last December, and WE WERE IN AWE!:santa: BEAUTIFUL show!:thumbsup2

Those are not buildings that really have the exterior to handle such things.

I was actually spitballing moving them indoors. Probably not any better than what you first thought.
I just want them to have a WDW home next year.

While Universal could grab a portion of the display and the name, most of the lights currently used in the show belong to Disney.

And the problem for Universal is they really don't have a good spot for a show like this. They won't put it in Diagon Alley and the city streets area gets blocked off for their Christmas Parade making it rather impractical to have a light display there as well.
They're only blocked off temporarily if you mean the Macy's parade. I could see them putting these lights in the New York area.

I really wasn't that impressed by them when I saw them last year. I mean yes, lots of lights and music. But also so ridiculously crowded you couldn't actually move around and enjoy them anyway. Plus there are so many places to enjoy light shows over the Christmas season, it didn't live up to the hype for me.
I suspect you're in the clear minority. I've been three times and never had an issue with crowds, yet I've loved the Osborne lights. For me, this is one of the absolute worst decisions Disney has ever made. I will no longer scramble to make WDW a holiday travel destination. In fact, this news has tipped the scale for me in terms of visiting WDW, in general. Change can be good; too much change means I'm no longer excited to return. I'd just as soon stay home now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter