2042 - Is that the end?

Fatboy

Earning My Ears
What happens to your points in 2042 when the property is turned over to Disney?

Disney has made no public announcement about what will happen after Jan. 31.2042 and I doubt they have made any decisions at all about that at this point.

There has been speculation that Disney could even offer current members an opportunity to extend their membership (for a fee).

Stay Tuned!

Do you think anyone at Disney has thought about what happens when all of these resorts go back into their inventory at once?

At first I thought they were brilliant. They get members to pay for the construction and maintenance and then 50 years from when the whole thing started they get back meticulously maintained resorts. BUT given the current situation of overbuilding that seems to have taken place with the resorts, what do you think will happen when they suddenly have all of these extra rooms to fill? Maybe they will be scrambling to give DVC members a break on re-upping? Who knows. It's interesting to think about though. Any speculation?

Lisa

My crystal ball is kind of foggy so I can't say for sure. ;)

I don't think getting the resorts back will result in a glut of rooms. After all, the generations of DVC members who have made those memories at OKW, BWV, BCV, VWL, SSR and whatever will come in the future, will probably continue to stay at the resorts even if they have to pay cash. I don't think DVC members will cease to visit WDW.

Of course, who knows what the future will bring. My guess is that some extension will be offered at some point in the future.

HMM, I'll be 93 (God willing) and I'll need help getting around. Maybe someone out there will be willing to push my wheechair. (I don't think that they will allow me to use an ECV).
When I became a member 11 years ago I asked my DVC guide what would I do in 2042? His reply was that if I was still around he was sure that they would find a way for me to visit WDW!
:smooth:
Nancy

I heard they will turn OKW into a "Senior Citizens Home" for members, thats why we bought there. ;)

Originally posted by ncligs
I heard they will turn OKW into a "Senior Citizens Home" for members, thats why we bought there. ;)

And they will have a lottery similar to the "special seasons list" for the handicapped accessible rooms. :p :p

They do have to add elevators before the "seniors" move in. Or will we all be up to the third story climb? ;)

To tell you the truth, I couldn't think of a much better place to be when it's time to "check out" for good....unless it would be a beach cottage at Vero. :)

I have a feeling that there will be some type of offer. I hate to say it, but a large majority of original DVC members may not be around in 2042. This would mean that a lot of our middle-aged kids will be the new owners at that time. I bet that there will be some type of offer to get them to keep coming to WDW. Maybe they'll overhaul the resorts and sell new 50 year contracts to previous members at a discount.

Hey just a minute there you young whipper snapper! I'm an original member, and I'll be a spry 91 years old.;) ;)

What really cracks me up is that my three "little kids" will be 61, 60 and 57 when 2042 rolls around.:eek: :eek: :eek:

Whatever happens, I hope that their families will be able to continue enjoying the benefits. :D

I'll only be 101. Maybe DVC will offer a discount on AP's to all the members who are centenarians.

I will be a mere 82 when it expires. I talked to my guide yesterday. She said that she had heard the rumor of a possible extension on the boards, but hadn't heard anything around the office about it. I did ask here about the possibility of another offsite resort and she did think that might be a possibility some day.

I'll be 92. Maybe they can convert the properties to nursing homes for all us "baby boomers" who have purchased.

I'll be a spry 73! Of course by then, DVC will be a weekend retreat because my hubby and I will have moved to sunny FL by then.
My kids will be 49, and 41. Wow, that is an eye opener. They will either loath Disney because we will have taken them there so many times during their youth, or they will be as addicted to it as we are.

Can only wait and see!

I'll only be 62 at the time, so hopefully there will be some way to extend it...

Just consider this: 2042 is in 39 years. Do you really think that all of the resorts will last that long in their current state? (given maintenance and upkeep?) Seriously...I would think that members would expect new resorts or major overhauls to the old resorts. What was at WDW 39 years ago?

Consider that the Contemporary is over 30 years old now. It's still in good shape.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter