2023 Summer Virtual Series

Herding_Cats

DIS Veteran
Summer 5k Series!
Registration opens 4/25 at 10am Eastern

For anyone new to these, here's a quick run down:
-DIY 5k runs for the months of June, July, and August.
-runners can choose up to 3 summer 5k "events" or the "challenge" which is all 3, plus a 4th medal, and usually a mini replica medal pin of the challenge medal
-digital toolkit with mile markers, and bib(s) to print on your own (challenge runners will only receive 1 bib print, not a separate one for each race)
-medals only, no shirts
-medals typically start shipping in August and shipping usually concludes after about a month (things are usually shipped in batches i.e. challenge boxes would ship, then June medals, etc.)
-no requirement to submit a time--run these whenever you want, use them as incentives for other things, etc. You may enter a time on your account if you want to print a finisher's certificate

Full themes were released today and they're going with the Disney 100th anniversary. And the 2nd "0" in 100 is a spinner.
9C5FC00C-9472-4F15-BD45-7DE6F81DACA4.jpegD2C4D80D-B56C-452D-8104-3936DBB60F15.jpeg064203BD-71D4-4B36-90B3-DA36C464DB3A.jpegB430BD1B-4FFF-4824-BF20-96A3A3C34892.jpeg

Thoughts? Feelings? Anyone signing up for these?

Last edited:
Between myself an DH we have purchased the challenge for the summer series since we I got into running and rundisney specifically. But c'mon. EVERY medal is a 100? I like the idea with the theming and Mickey through the years. But much like the massive "30" medal from the marathon this year, I'm not a fan of a non-race-distance-number for the medal.

I think we are going to pass on this one.

I'm also a little tempted to do at least one of them, even though I think virtual "races" are a scam, because the medals are pretty - who am I??? 🤣

I don't get into virtual stuff, although I have done Beat the Blerch and a little of CRAW. But I do like the Steamboat Willie medal. Probably a pass, but never say never.

Okay, I just looked at the prices, and $48 for basically a 5K medal and nothing else seems less tempting. Also doing the challenge costs more than the three races combined, and while it does get you an extra medal, I thought the challenge was usually cheaper than the included race separately for in-person race weekends.

I really liked the challenge medal when they first posted it. But the other three are too similar to each other for my liking. I went thru a phase during the pandemic doing yes.fit races, but I would rather spend that money on in person races now.

I was considering the challenge, but would rather spend the money on new running shoes or Shokz. :D

I don’t love them enough to spend the money on them. Plus, I’m trying to ramp up my mileage this summer, so 5K is kind of short.

I thought it was fitting that when Disney announced the challenge medal, it already had a chip in the far upper left of the number 1. Makes me feel better about how banged up my medals look from just walking out of the chute.

1681863236217.png

I like the Steamboat Willie medal but I really just cannot justify doing these races. I find virtual races less motivating anyway. In some ways it just feels like you are buying the medal. I did a non Disney virtual race in March and will probably do some more later this year but I’m not paying Disney prices for a virtual. I want the excitement, the atmosphere, and a bunch of people I don’t know cheering me on.

I know it's just Disney IT being Disney IT, but the registration page right now has one of the events with a registration link, and the others marked as "sold out". :P

I know it's just Disney IT being Disney IT, but the registration page right now has one of the events with a registration link, and the others marked as "sold out". :P
It was similar during Marathon Weekend registration. The marathon link went live well before the other race distances' links.

Was teaching a class so I was ten minutes late to the party. Now I have three browsers with more than an hour wait. I thought the victuals were not as popular.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter