2023 RunDisney Solo Trip Report: My First Dopey Challenge (FINALLY completed 11/7: Magic Kingdom After Hours)

January 9th, 2023 - Final Park Day

Phew, I am sure bad at updating my TRs! If anyone is still reading, thanks for your patience :laughing:

I woke up to my alarm at 9AM, and my sleep app basically told me I got the best sleep of my entire life. Over nine glorious hours of sleep and an astounding six hours of deep sleep. On a typical weeknight I get maybe 90 minutes of deep sleep which is a healthy amount :rotfl:
I took another quick hot bath as my legs were obviously feeling the 48.6 miles, I cannot say enough about the hot baths. Of course I am staying in a tower studio at Riviera next year so I will not have a tub, I guess I will have to hit up the pool spas!

Since I was meeting some running group friends for a late breakfast at Topolino's, I decided to take a Lyft from AKL. It was only $10, and was definitely worth every penny to avoid more walking/standing than necessary.

I was looking pretty goofy in all my running gear, ha!

IMG_4053.JPG

It only took my driver about five minutes to get to AKL, and I was off to the Riviera! I may not be an owner but the Riviera feels like home to me now! We checked into breakfast and did end up waiting maybe 15-20 minutes to be seated, it was quite busy. Lots of runners for sure!

IMG_4010.jpeg

I'll let the pictures speak for themself, but all of the food was so delicious. Those pastries and POG juice alone are worth the price, they are that good :hyper:

IMG_4012.JPG

We were still able to order multiple entrees at that time, I already miss those days! Thankfully you can still get bacon from what I hear.

IMG_4040.JPG

My steak was maybe a touch overcooked, my luck with steak at WDW is not great! It looked okay in this picture but seemed to cook more while resting on my plate.

IMG_4043.JPG

We stopped on the terrace for the beautiful view, I love it so much.

IMG_4010.JPG

I was so tired at breakfast, I was yawning a lot and definitely felt like I needed a nap after that meal.

IMG_4051.JPG

I walked to the Riviera bus stop and waited only five minutes for the AK bus, great timing. It was a little less than 15 minutes to get to AK and a short wait to get in. Speaking of scanning in, it bothers me to no end when couples go up to the turnstiles and wait to use the same front scanner instead of just using both scanners at the same time. You bet I'll walk right past you to use the back one if you do that!

Lines looked pretty short at AK, Dinosaur and Everest were both 25 minutes. A nice reprieve from the long New Year crowds earlier that week!

I decided to try Dinosaur first since Everest has single rider. Since it was just after 2PM at that point, I figured people were leaving AK to park hop elsewhere.

I got into the Dinosaur standby line and it was posted 20 minutes. The CM was like "you have a Dopey medal and now you're walking around the park???!!!" :eek:

There was no line inside and I walked right into the pre-show, hooray! There were a lot people talking during the show, it was so loud I couldn't even hear the video! Luckily I've seen it enough times :laughing:

I was onto the ride in less than 10 minutes. As a single rider I almost always load on the left side, and usually on the right side of the car. This time I loaded on the right side and on the left side of the car, so I had a very different ride expeirience as I was closer to different dinosaurs. One of them scared me as I wasn't expecting it since I'm never on that side of the ride!

IMG_4065.JPG

When I got off, Everest was still 25 and Dinosaur was down to 15. I hopped into the Everest single rider line and there were FOUR people ahead of me. I love that Everest has a single rider sign.

IMG_4057.JPG

I was already off the ride and back in the single rider line again in maybe 7 minutes!

IMG_4066.JPG

For the second ride, the line was longer. Maybe seven people ahead of me this time! :rotfl: The line did get a bit longer behind me, maybe 20 more people. I was in the front of a car this time so I had a better view without seats directly in front of me.

IMG_4067.JPG

And of course...I got in line a third time. It was definitely longer this time, maybe 25-30 people in line. So, three times was enough for me! I probably would have gone again if there wasn't a line though, I love Everest!

IMG_4068.JPG

Dinosaur was still listed as a short wait so I figured I'd do it on my way out. Safari was only 20 minutes but I didn't feel like walking that far.

I love the backwards part of Everest so much, where it feels like you're accelerating to the point where you can't even tell if you're going forwards or backwards in the dark. Which I know is why many people can't handle it!

I walked right into Dinosaur again, standby was dropped down to 10 minutes. There were so many parents with really young kids, I would have been so traumatized by this ride as a kid. The wait after the pre-show was really short this time, the park was really emptying out!

IMG_4069.JPG

Of course I had to do a little shopping, AK is a great place to shop since it is much less busy. I discovered a new 50th spinner ornament that I hadn't seen anywhere else. Ornaments are our favorite souvenirs.

IMG_4059.JPG

I looked it up and it apparently went on sale the day prior, so I have a really good eye :smooth:

IMG_4060.JPG

These ears were new at the time and I love the embroidery, I hope we see that in more ears instead of just prints.

IMG_4055.JPG

They had also just dropped all of the vintage anniversary stuff like the cake castle shirt, I had to resist from buying a lot of merch.

IMG_4061.JPG

I had to keep to my 50lb suitcase limit after all!

IMG_4062.JPG

I headed out of AK around 4:45 and there were a lot of people waiting for a bus which is always a good sign. Just like that, a bus pulled up about five minutes later!

I had no idea how it was already dinner time, I was still full from breakfast. Since I hadn't done any medal railing pictures yet, I decided to try taking pictures on my balcony. They ended up turning out quite nice!

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4095.JPG

Lots of animals were out at time as well!

IMG_4089.JPG

According to my notes, I left my room at 6:56 to head to MK and the app said a bus was arriving at 7:00. Omg, I knew I had to book it. I somehow made it to the bus stop at 6:59 and no sign of a bus. The time updated to 7:04, I figured they were probably loading a scooter at Kidani or something. I threw myself down the stairs for nothing! :laughing:

The bus to MK arrived right on time at 7:04, and then they had to unload a scooter which took a few minutes before we could load. I did end up having to stand, obviously lots of us were headed to After Hours!

We were dropped off at MK after about a 15-16 minute ride, and we thankfully just beat a ferry so lines to get in were short. It was definitely cooling off so I was glad I packed a sweatshirt for the evening.

I had a panic moment where I thought I lost my phone (maybe left on the bus), isn't that the absolute worst feeling!? I thankfully found my phone in my backpack, I must have stuff it there after security, and totally forgot. I am so reliant on my phone especially on solo trips!

I had heard about people embroidering their marathon ear hats, so I had brought mine along. There's a little shop on your immediate right when you enter MK called Curtain Call Collectibles, which I had never been in before. There was a line of maybe eight people for embroidery, which I didn't think was too bad. I could tell the CMs were very stressed, it's probably the busiest day of the year for them since they have been giving the ear hats at recent marathons.

IMG_4135.JPG

From what I could hear, it sounds like they were having a lot of trouble finding people's hats since they're all identical. Eeek. They did finally start a separate line for pick ups.

IMG_4136.JPG

However when it was my turn, disaster struck! The CM was an older woman and was completely frazzled. I said I was looking to get my hat embroidered, and she kind of gave me a look and was like "take a look around, do you think we're taking any more orders today? Come back another day" and kind of scoffed and walked away.

And I know her day was probably incredibly stressful and she was just sick and tired of those darn hats, but it was so unexpected that I was just totally shocked. If she was like "so sorry but we are swamped and don't have any more room today, please come back tomorrow" it would have been totally fine and I would have completely understood but the way she said it, like I was a total idiot, she really made me feel like I was the problem.

The lady behind me was picking up her hat and obviously saw it happen and I must have looked really sad because she was like "I'm so sorry sweetie, I've done this before and if you bring it back on your next trip like Princess there won't be any line." I thanked her and of course started tearing up at that point and quickly booked it out of the store, and cried out of frustration. Of course now I had to carry this stupid hat around MK all night, I think I was more upset about that than anything :rotfl2:

Looking back, it was a silly thing to cry over, but I was obviously mentally and physically exhausted at that point. Whatever, I collected myself after a few minutes and wasn't going to let it ruin my night. Just part of the drama of solo travel sometimes, instead of venting to someone you just cry :hyper:

I had no idea where to check-in for After Hours, I asked a CM and they said every land has a wrist band location and Stich's Great Escape was the closest.

Of course it was almost 8:00 and fireworks were at 8:15, so the hub was totally packed! I took the shortcut through Tomorrowland Terrace which was a very good idea. Super quick to pick up the wrist band, they had tons of CMs ready to check your magic band.

IMG_4137.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

Out of nowhere I ended up getting really nauseous, my lack of dinner was catching up to me.

I mobile ordered a kids Mac and cheese at Cosmic Rays and had that on a bench by Cheshire Cafe while watching the fireworks. Even saw Tink fly by!

IMG_4141.JPG

The mac was pretty bad but I was hungry so it did the job. I would have ordered a bigger meal but since I was doing After Hours, I wanted to save room for ice cream and popcorn!

IMG_4139.JPG

The crowds were crazy as usual when leaving the hub, I waited a bit for them to subside. Finally around 8:45 it had cleared out enough to head to the hub to get some photos. I found a nice spot off to the side of the castle where it was quiet so I could hang my medals for a picture. I even got my hat in the photo!

IMG_4176.JPG

I took a few photopass photos as well, always visit multiple photographers in case some don't turn out!

IMG_4205.JPG

And think about your hand positioning...clearly I was not thinking about mine, my fingers look so weird!

IMG_4206.JPG

I headed to the Peoplemover to get a look at Tron at night, it was just testing at that point and the cars looked amazing at night!

IMG_4217.JPG

It was getting much colder with the sun down, I wasn't sure how much ice cream I would have!

Not to end this post on a bad note, but the Star Traders bathrooms were in the worst shape I have ever seen a WDW bathroom. The rest of the trip, all of the bathrooms were very well cleaned, but this one in particular was a disaster.

IMG_4219.JPG

I think it just goes to show, when all those blogs post about WDW being in shambles, sometimes it is just wrong place wrong time. I'm sure this got cleaned up quickly and may have just been missed for a small window. I was there for over a week and this was the only time I saw trash overflowing!

And on that note, my next post will detail my experience at the Magic Kingdom After Hours event! Thanks for reading!

I think I see the back of my head here, how funny! Late to the party, but enjoying reliving my first (and probably only) Dopey through your trip report! AKL seems amazing. I splurged on Beach Club myself since it was a one and done experience :thumbsup2

ETA - I've listened to BoG a good bit but never joined the Lizards. It's also cool to see how good of an experience that has been for you!

Really glad to see you're back to finish this trip report. I have really enjoyed reading about your experience doing Dopey- for us non-runners its pretty amazing stuff! You make this look easy! I have to remind myself that you probably spent months running and preparing to accomplish this. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to share with us. Congratulations on your achievement, its a big one! :cheer2:

I think I see the back of my head here, how funny! Late to the party, but enjoying reliving my first (and probably only) Dopey through your trip report! AKL seems amazing. I splurged on Beach Club myself since it was a one and done experience :thumbsup2

ETA - I've listened to BoG a good bit but never joined the Lizards. It's also cool to see how good of an experience that has been for you!
That is too funny! I was glad I took notes for this TR because the week was such a blur, now I have something to look back to! Beach Club sounds lovely, I have yet to stay at BC/BW (or YC for that matter) but with the new DVC studio renovations (with the Murphy bed), I may have to look into them, it was never really an option for me with the sofa beds before! If you feel the need to join a Disney running group, the Lizards are the best! Mike is the best podcast host, I'm not sure I would have made it through marathon training w/o the podcast to listen to on those long runs.

Really glad to see you're back to finish this trip report. I have really enjoyed reading about your experience doing Dopey- for us non-runners its pretty amazing stuff! You make this look easy! I have to remind myself that you probably spent months running and preparing to accomplish this. I greatly appreciate your taking the time to share with us. Congratulations on your achievement, its a big one! :cheer2:
LOL, I need to start writing my TRs on the plane or something so I don't lose steam :rotfl: Hoping to finish it up with the last post or two by tonight or this weekend. I have been slacking on my running lately, I haven't even ran for a week (it's so hot here in MN, like 90s)! I've only been doing maybe three miles after work lately and all I can think is how the heck did I even run 10 miles?! :crazy2: Thank you so much for the lovely comments!

Beach Club sounds lovely, I have yet to stay at BC/BW (or YC for that matter) but with the new DVC studio renovations (with the Murphy bed), I may have to look into them, it was never really an option for me with the sofa beds before!

Definitely recommend! Stormalong Bay is worthy of a whole day, and it's right on the resort. Particularly nice for race weekends :)

Yes, podcasts (including BoG) were a huge part of my long runs! Audio books too, I listened to Lord of the Rings throughout Dopey training lol

Definitely recommend! Stormalong Bay is worthy of a whole day, and it's right on the resort. Particularly nice for race weekends :)

Yes, podcasts (including BoG) were a huge part of my long runs! Audio books too, I listened to Lord of the Rings throughout Dopey training lol
We did a lot of walking around the boardwalk on my last trip and I felt like that Squidward meme looking into Stormalong Bay.

145qvv.jpg

I need to try out listening to audiobooks on runs. I recently got a few audible credits so I will have to give it a go soon!

Whew, all caught up! WOW. I am not a runner (unless you count chasing the Ice Cream truck!) so it literally blows my mind reading what you did in such a short amount of time. I envy you!!!

Now, fully admitting that I am NOT a runner, I have a few questions if you don't mind!
1. I noticed that the numbers were blocked out on your bibs in all of your ride/character photos. Did Disney do that? Or did you? And why? Is that a confidential thing? I'm clueless, lol!

2. I have a work conference in Orlando that falls the same time as the Princess Marathon. The dates of the conference are Feb 26-28, and the marathon dates are Feb 22-25. I'm wanting to do some park days either before or after (preferably before, but also want to avoid crowds!) the conference- would you estimate that the parks are busiest DURING the marathon itself? Or do the runners typically stay for park days after the marathons are done? What has your experience (or general consensus in your runner groups) been?

Thanks in advance, & can't wait to read more!

Whew, all caught up! WOW. I am not a runner (unless you count chasing the Ice Cream truck!) so it literally blows my mind reading what you did in such a short amount of time. I envy you!!!

Now, fully admitting that I am NOT a runner, I have a few questions if you don't mind!
1. I noticed that the numbers were blocked out on your bibs in all of your ride/character photos. Did Disney do that? Or did you? And why? Is that a confidential thing? I'm clueless, lol!

2. I have a work conference in Orlando that falls the same time as the Princess Marathon. The dates of the conference are Feb 26-28, and the marathon dates are Feb 22-25. I'm wanting to do some park days either before or after (preferably before, but also want to avoid crowds!) the conference- would you estimate that the parks are busiest DURING the marathon itself? Or do the runners typically stay for park days after the marathons are done? What has your experience (or general consensus in your runner groups) been?

Thanks in advance, & can't wait to read more!
I blocked them out! I'm sure anyone savvy could find me, that's what you get when you post yourself on the internet, but at least they have to try a little harder :laughing: Races always list your hometown, so when you have a name and a hometown, you basically have an address if your name is unique enough :hyper:

Princess is just a half marathon so it's nowhere near as big as MW! I did both this year and it felt like there were sooooo many more runners at MW than at Princess. That said, there are really not enough runners to really make an impact on crowds. The holidays are a way bigger draw, and Disney does the races on weekends that would typically have lower attendance without the races. I find Princess is a quick trip for more people, like a girls weekend or mom/daughter weekend. Whereas marathon weekend, lots of people bring their families for support, given the greater distance.

Mornings during the races are great, since runners have to shower and sometimes nap after the races. Though for the 5k and 10k (Friday/Saturday) there's plenty of time to shower and rope drop since the races start so early, but lots of people will go get breakfast or something before hitting the parks. Evenings are great too, since runners want to go to bed early. I never close the parks before a race, I try to be back to my resort around dinner time!

That said, I wouldn't worry at all about crowds during Princess. I travel during lowish times usually and the race weekends aren't any busier than my usual trips! President's Day weekend and Mardis Gras is 100x worse and those will be done before your trip!

@MamaMouse0920 , I was in WDW for Princess weekend 2020. We were staying at Pop and going to MK on HM day (Sunday).
We knew beforehand that with road closures it would take much longer for us to get to the park, so we were in the first bus a little before 7AM (9AM opening)
It did take a lot longer than usual (we were at the TTC at 8:00 because the road for the bus depot was closed), took the monorail and were in MK around 8:25.
However, it was well worth it!!! The park was deserted for the first 3 hours so we were able to do soooo many rides before lunch! It was glorious! The park got packed around noon-1:00ish but we were ready to leave the park for a break after a successful morning!
So if you plan for it, you will be fine but just take into consideration the transportation issues since you will experience major delays (people were saying they were stuck in the bus for two hours that morning!!!)

@Disneyhanna , I just came in to say your trip report convinced me to do a marathon in Disney before I turn 40!
I always dreamed of running a full marathon, but I was afraid I would injure myself or not be able to complete it... reading about your successful Dopey and how fun it looked convinced me to take the plunge!
I think WDW is the place to do it! I had so much fun at the other race weekends... now I really want to try a full marathon (maybe not Dopey though... it just sounds like too much for me!)
Now I am trying to convince my husband to join me. He will do half marathons but is still reluctant to doing a full... we'll see if I can convince him until then!
I am too late for registration for 2024, so I am now planning on Marathon weekend for January 2025! I know it's far away but it will hopefully give me time to train appropriately ;)
Thanks for the inspiration

Races always list your hometown, so when you have a name and a hometown, you basically have an address if your name is unique enough :hyper:

OHHH that makes sense! I never knew they had runners' hometown & name - I just thought it was random numbers :laughing:

Thanks for the tips re: Princess crowds!! And yours, @Isabelle12345! I went to the same conference this past February and the dates coincided with Presidents Day & ooooooofda (I too am a MN gal, btw :rotfl2:) crowds were intense. In fact if memory serves me correctly, I want to say it was the first time ever Genie+ sold out at WDW. So if I had to choose between Princess & President's Day I will gladly take the runners!

Congratulations on your weekend of awesomeness! Do you have a TR for the DLR one?

Also, one of these days I’d love to do at least the 5k. Having a prior broken ankle and other issues, even just getting that race done would be enough for me.

Also sorry about that rude teenager and the idiots keeping the bathrooms dirty (seriously people public bathrooms get worse because of you making it worse).

@Disneyhanna , I just came in to say your trip report convinced me to do a marathon in Disney before I turn 40!
I always dreamed of running a full marathon, but I was afraid I would injure myself or not be able to complete it... reading about your successful Dopey and how fun it looked convinced me to take the plunge!
I think WDW is the place to do it! I had so much fun at the other race weekends... now I really want to try a full marathon (maybe not Dopey though... it just sounds like too much for me!)
Now I am trying to convince my husband to join me. He will do half marathons but is still reluctant to doing a full... we'll see if I can convince him until then!
I am too late for registration for 2024, so I am now planning on Marathon weekend for January 2025! I know it's far away but it will hopefully give me time to train appropriately ;)
Thanks for the inspiration
Omg, I am so happy to have inspired you, that is the best complement you can get as a runner! You have plenty of time to train before 2025, I think Disney is a great place to run a first marathon, especially if you're like me and can never seem to be able to run the whole thing, there's no shame in that at all at WDW. I feel like normal marathons are not really about having fun, everyone is in so much pain at the end (lol!) whereas at Disney, everyone is celebrating and often getting drinks in Epcot before crossing the line :rotfl: It would be so much to do it together with your husband, I hope you can convince him! If you can't convince him, I'm sure he will get terrible FOMO, at least I know I will when I inevitably do MW in the future without doing the marathon :hyper:

Congratulations on your weekend of awesomeness! Do you have a TR for the DLR one?

Also, one of these days I’d love to do at least the 5k. Having a prior broken ankle and other issues, even just getting that race done would be enough for me.

Also sorry about that rude teenager and the idiots keeping the bathrooms dirty (seriously people public bathrooms get worse because of you making it worse).
Thank you so much! The Disneyland one is not until next January, but I will plan to do a TR for that crazy coast experience! It makes solo travel much more fun to fill in the lonely time with taking notes and pictures and planning a TR.

You can totally do a 5K! The best part is they are not timed, so there's no pressure to finish under a certain pace. They do close the character lines when they get too long to keep people moving, but there are always characters before and after the race to meet if you can't meet them on the course. A 5k is a huge accomplishment, I remember my 1st 5k in 2018 and I couldn't believe it was real, the most I had run was maybe 1.5 miles before training for that.

Ugh, guests are the worst part of the parks, that's for sure! I can't imagine what the CMs go through, especially the custodial CMs. I know I wouldn't survive as a CM!

OHHH that makes sense! I never knew they had runners' hometown & name - I just thought it was random numbers :laughing:

Thanks for the tips re: Princess crowds!! And yours, @Isabelle12345! I went to the same conference this past February and the dates coincided with Presidents Day & ooooooofda (I too am a MN gal, btw :rotfl2:) crowds were intense. In fact if memory serves me correctly, I want to say it was the first time ever Genie+ sold out at WDW. So if I had to choose between Princess & President's Day I will gladly take the runners!
Everything I hear about President's Day is always a nightmare, I'm convinced it's the biggest holiday after Christmas/NY and Thanksgiving! :hyper: I was actually in WDW at the end of February into early March 2020 (not for the races), that was a busy time! I think Mardis Gras was really late that year and lined up with Princess, talk about crazy crowds since the whole state of LA gets the week off! I still remember that trip as the calm before the storm...people coughing on the bus and me bending away as far as possible, little did I know...

OMG! I have a confession: I thought I finished this TR. Apparently not, oops!!!! 5 months late is better than never, eh? All my pictures seemed to be broken but I think they're fixed now. I need to figure out a different way to host photos!

And so it begins, the conclusion of the Dopey TR, ft. After Hours at Magic Kingdom!

Since I was close, I decided to do Winnie the Pooh first. Perk of After Hours is you can spend as much time in the queue as you want!

IMG_4220.JPG

I got in line at 10:08 and they were checking wristbands, standby was listed as 15 but there were only a handful of people in line and I was on in three minutes. They did still make me share a honey pot, and sadly I was in the back! There was no line when I got off, what a difference compared to daytime!

I walked onto Dumbo at 10:18, the queue was such a long walk, so of course there was no line by the time I got to the ride. They do make solo adults wear the seatbelt, which always makes me chuckle.

IMG_4221.JPG

This was very pretty to ride at night with all the lights. The CM said anyone who wanted to stay on the ride to go again was allowed, but once was enough for me!

At this point I was clearly trying to avoid too much walking (post-marathon things) and so Barnstormer was next at 10:24. Walked right onto front row and I was the only one there!

IMG_4225.JPG

I’m sure I could've rode again if I sat in different row but everyone was picking front, so alas I had to get off. I forgot how short and bumpy this little coaster is, though surprisingly intense for a kids' ride!

This TR is now so old, Tron wasn't even open and I was taking construction progress photos LOL!

IMG_4227.JPG

At 10:30 the Tea Cups were empty and Speedway looked to be a walk-on, but I passed and headed to Peter Pan. I had yet to see a snack cart yet!

I got into line for Peter Pan at 10:35 and standby was listed at 10, but it didn't seem long. It's always nice getting to see the queue during these events since I only ride it with Genie+ otherwise.

In my notes I said "should have done snacks first" despite only an 8 minute wait :rotfl2:

My trip to Neverland was lovely as always, I love love the music in this ride and it's a must do for me these days.

IMG_4229.JPG

I passed the Rapunzel lantern photo and there were at least a dozen people in line, another time!

Haunted Mansion had a 13 minute standby at 10:49, aka walk on.

IMG_4231.JPG

Sadly they closed the doors on me so I had to wait for the next round, but still made it onto the ride within 5 minutes.

IMG_4280.JPG

We need more old school rides like this that anyone can ride, please Disney! My favorite room is definitely the Bride portrait room.

Okay time for snacks now, finally I saw my first snack cart by Liberty Tree Tavern. I had covered a good bit of the park at this point and was surprised how long it took me to find a cart!

They were popping fresh popcorn all night thankfully, and there was no wait. I got a Diet Coke, Mickey bar, and a popcorn. Only regular Coke came in the pretty 50th Anniversary bottles, next time!

IMG_4237.JPG

Those Mickey bars are delicious, the chocolate is very thick compared to the ones they sell at the grocery store. And as someone who rarely drinks soda, that coke was CRISP! I did pass another snack cart by the Jungle Cruise, so I just had bad luck at the start of the night! I skipped Jungle Cruise because I was afraid of awkwardly being in a boat with just the CM, I didn't think I'd survive that :laughing:

After my snack, I headed into Pirates at 11:15. Thankfully they shortened the queue on this one so we didn't have to walk the full thing, so I was onto the ride within a minute in row 2. There was an annoying girl singing in the front row the entire time! :bitelip:

I passed yet another snack cart by Big Thunder (which was sadly closed for refurbishment at the time). Big Thunder really diminished the value of After Hours for me, if it had been open I think I would have liked the event a lot more as that would have been a repeat ride for me.

At 11:28 I got in line for Splash, it's another long queue to walk through and so it was a walk on for me.

IMG_4238.JPG

I got to pick my seat in my empty log, I picked second from the back to avoid getting wet!

IMG_4239.JPG

I sure miss Splash, I can't wait for it to reopen with the new theme!

IMG_4282.JPG

Woohoo, did not get wet in the back!

IMG_4242.JPG

If the ride were shorter I would totally have done Splash again, but After Hours is only a few hours and I had to keep moving!

Next up I headed over to Space Mountain, I checked MDE on the way and Peter Pan was listed as 30, glad I already rode it! 7DMT was showing 25 which I knew I wanted to ride at some point since I hate paying to ride it.

Pooh and Astro Orbiter and the meet Mickey/Princesses were listed as 10 minutes, pretty much everything else was listed at 5 minutes.

Pooh and Astro orbiter and meet Mickey/princesses at 10 everything else at 5 at about 11:50. When I went by the Magic Carpets I think there were two people on it, ha!

I passed another snack cart by Pecos Bill's, as well as by the Adventureland entrance by the hub.

IMG_4244.JPG

The hub was quiet, there were lines of maybe 2-3 people for the hub photopass photographers. There was no one in front of the castle so it'd be a great opportunity to get some nighttime photos.

I made it into the Space Mountain queue at 11:58, the walk was so long to the ride.

IMG_4250.JPG

Both sides seemed to be open and though it was a walk on, they were still filling all the carts. This was so much fun, I got a lot of air time on the little hills! I was off by 12:05, but not back to Tomorrowland until 12:08 since the walk afterward is so long too!

There was a snack cart in Tomorrowland, which had a decent line of a dozen or so people but it moves super fast since everything is free. I got another popcorn and regular Coke in the pretty bottle this time.

IMG_4251.JPG

I was thinking how three hours is NOT enough time and I probably should not have done Dumbo and Barnstormer lol, I had less than an hour and it felt like the night was just getting started!

There were probably 30 people in line for Astro Orbiter on the ground, and since I have never been on before I didn't know how many people were waiting up by the ride, so I skipped it. Mine Train was now listed as 35 minutes, darn!

I walked onto Buzz next, and hit over 300k which is good for me.

IMG_4284.JPG

I did hit 999k once but only because we got stopped in a good spot!

IMG_4249.JPG

It was sooo humid inside the rides that night, even though it was a cool evening. I passed Speedway and they actually had it listed as a 0 minute wait, never saw that before!

7DMT was down to 25 so I decided to do Space Mountain once more at 12:20 and then close out the night with Mine Train.

I ended up behind some slow walkers in the queue, wish I could have politely scooted in front of them lol. If the queues weren't so long, you could get so many more rides in at After Hours!

There were a lot of solo travelers at AH, definitely a lot of runners as well despite the late time. One last hurrah for many like myself!

I got into the queue for Mine Train at 12:36 and standby was listed as 25. The line started in the covered portion where the gem barrels are. I've never waited in the regular queue but I imagine it's 10x worse than what I experienced!

IMG_4252.JPG

I made it onto the ride in row 3 at 12:55, so overall a 20 minute wait. I didn't think I'd make it in line before 1:00 when AH ended. I forgot how mild this coaster is, glad I didn't pay for it that trip! Still, it was fun since it was pretty at night and I was just glad to be riding something after the "long" 20 minute wait!

I was off at 12:57 and to my surprise I did make it back into line just before 1:00. Standby was listed 20 so they didn't inflate it at all with the night ending. The line was definitely shorter and moving faster, and there were maybe 20 people behind me. I made it onto the back row at 1:12! The back was more fun, the cart swung more! I didn't get my pictures from this ride sadly.

It was very quiet on my way out since the event was over.

IMG_4253.JPG

There were lots of character water paintings as well!

IMG_4255.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4257.JPG

IMG_4259.JPG

I suppose with fewer crowds, there is more room to do water art!

IMG_4260.JPG

There were two photographers left on Main Street that were still taking photos. They had pretty long lines and they did close the line at 1:23, so don't wait too long!

Photos from After Hours can be so deceiving, I took these at the same time facing different directions around 1:30:

IMG_4268.JPG

IMG_4272.JPG

Magic Kingdom was definitely a ghost town compared to during the day, but it wasn't totally empty either, you could get pictures without anyone in them if you're quick!

I admired all of the holiday decor one last time on my way out, since I was in WDW in November it felt like the holidays were going on forever :laughing:

IMG_4274.JPG

I left MK at 1:33 and headed to the bus, there was almost no one at the buses.

IMG_4276.JPG

I made it to the AKL bus stop by 1:38 and there were only a few of us there (other runners!), the bus came at 1:49 so not too bad!

The bus left right away and we were all going to Jambo, so no need to stop at Kidani thankfully. We were dropped off at 2:03, seriously AKL is not as far away as people make it out to be!

When we got to Jambo House there were a dozen people in hard hats which I thought was strange, then I walked in and the tree was gone! So, they took down the tree late Monday evening for reference.

IMG_4278.JPG

Finally, I ended up going to sleep just before 3AM. Quite the change from being up at 2:15AM the day prior :rotfl2:

I was so tired I didn't even pack, I figured I'd do it in the morning.

Overall about 24k steps for the day after the marathon, and not even a full park day!

My legs only had minimal soreness at this point, mostly when going down stairs or getting up/down off the ground. I figured it would be mostly gone by the morning, I think park touring is great for recovery :thumbsup2

Overall, did I enjoy After Hours? I got a fair amount of rides in but it's nowhere near enough time to do everything. You spend more time walking than riding rides! I think it's good for groups where organizing lightning lanes can be tough, and also would be good for people with limited park time. But as someone with an AP who has done everything so many times, and had a long trip, I don't think AH added as much value as I was hoping. I think being solo and being pretty tired also contributes. I don't regret it though, since I definitely remember the event more clearly than the non-running parts of the entire trip :rotfl:

January 10th, 2023 - Departure Day

And so the Dopey TR comes to an end!

I said goodbye to my lovely AKL studio, I loved renting DVC and can't wait for them to install Murphy beds so I can rent on non-solo trips.

IMG_4293.JPG

AKL was a great race hotel, being a bit further from the action helps deter bad decisions when it comes to staying out late! I got all of my luggage packed up, just barely, even ended up putting my race medals in my winter coat pockets to save space!

I had an 11:05 reservation for Boma breakfast and was seated immediately. I had a much nicer table this time and was at a real table near a window!

IMG_4295.JPG

POG juice here and at Topolino's was so much better than at 'Ohana.

It was pretty quiet as this point, probably only half full. Some food needed refills like the Mickey waffles, but they keep refilling well past the last seating!

IMG_4297.JPG

Breakfast has SO much food and so many pastries, it's really the best breakfast on property and worth a trip to AKL.

The coconut steel cut oats were probably my favorite. I think about this breakfast all the time!

IMG_4298.JPG

The guava turnover was my favorite pastry. There was way more than I could eat, even though I am a big eater if you couldn't tell from this TR! :rotfl2:

IMG_4299.JPG

The service was really good that day, and with the AP discount and tip it's just over $40 but worth it as I knew I wouldn't be hungry again until dinner. The perfect pre-airport meal to avoid spending $ on awful food at MCO!

It only took a few minutes for my Lyft to arrive, and it was about $30 to MCO. It took exactly 30 minutes from Jambo!

There was an overflowing line to drop off bags with Delta, as usual, but it only took about 12 minutes. My bag was only 44lb which I think is lighter than it was on my way to WDW, miraculously :laughing:

The Disney store had some race weekend merch and even a few pins, I think for the half marathon.

IMG_4301.JPG

Pre-check was dreadfully slow that day but still took less than 10 minutes, regular security said about 20 minutes. Knock on wood but I have yet to experience a busy MCO airport!

I had an uneventful trip home, thankfully, and had this lovely surprise waiting for me:

IMG_4326.JPG

I hung my Dopey and Marathon medal pins on the tree, they make such great ornaments! I just wish medal pins weren't so hard to get!

IMG_4327.JPG

And that's a wrap! Thanks so much to everyone who has followed along! I didn't mean for this to take so long to finish, please forgive me :rotfl:

I am signed up to do Dopey 2024 in January as the marathon falls on my ACTUAL birthday! How awesome is that! Training has been going well and I just need it to not snow between now and the end of December :worship:

And after Dopey...I am doing the Dumbo Double Dare challenge in Disneyland, the weekend after Dopey! That's right, I'm giving Disney ALL of my money in 2024 and am hoping to complete the Coast to Coast challenge by running on both coasts. Not sure if I'll do a full TR but perhaps a dining report or race report, to be determined!

I'm so glad you cam e back to finish. What an amazing last day!! I have only done 1 AH event (the Villains one RIGHT before the great shutdown). I loved it. And I can't believe you are going for Coast to Coast AND back to back weekends. I wish you all the luck in training (and in keeping the snow away. Please!! I come home in December for 10 days and would be THRILLED to not deal with too much snow).

I'm so glad you cam e back to finish. What an amazing last day!! I have only done 1 AH event (the Villains one RIGHT before the great shutdown). I loved it. And I can't believe you are going for Coast to Coast AND back to back weekends. I wish you all the luck in training (and in keeping the snow away. Please!! I come home in December for 10 days and would be THRILLED to not deal with too much snow).
It was a whirlwind trip that's for sure! I would have loved to have done Villains AH, I think I would have appreciate AH more at the start of the trip rather than the end so I'll have to keep that in mind in the future. Thanks so much for following along! *waves snow away*

great trip report. I really enjoyed reading it and all your pictures. I hope you do write another report for your next marathon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter