• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2020 Watch??

My husband thinks Hawaii will be the new port. Or at least the California coast for Hawaii. We shall see!
I'm thinking Hawaii is extremely unlikely given how far it is from the mainland / from Mexico. A cruise from Hawaii has to visit a foreign port (unless it's a US-flagged ship, which DCL does not have).

I'm thinking Hawaii is extremely unlikely given how far it is from the mainland / from Mexico. A cruise from Hawaii has to visit a foreign port (unless it's a US-flagged ship, which DCL does not have).
How does NCL keep a ship in Hawaii then? I don’t think they’re US flagged.

That particular NCL ship actually is US flagged, which means they avoid the foreign port but have to comply with US labor regulations, minimum wage, E-verify, etc. All far too expensive for any other lines to have any interest in a similar move.

DCL has done both a one-way to/from Vancouver (not sure how many days that was) and a 14-day round-trip out of California (with a stop in Mexico on the return leg) in the past.

DCL has done both a one-way to/from Vancouver (not sure how many days that was) and a 14-day round-trip out of California (with a stop in Mexico on the return leg) in the past.

Didn't the past DCL cruises sell really poorly? I've read on here before that they were basically filling the ship with employees and that they sold the tickets at huge discounts. I don't know how accurate any of that it is, just that I've read that on here in the past whenever cruises from Hawaii are mentioned.

Yep, Pride of America is the only NCL ship that is US-flagged, thus NCL corners the Hawaii cruising market.

Yes, absolutely - I just don't see it as being a new home port. And in any event unlikely to be part of Thursday's announcement as the "new never before sailed from port".

Didn't the past DCL cruises sell really poorly? I've read on here before that they were basically filling the ship with employees and that they sold the tickets at huge discounts. I don't know how accurate any of that it is, just that I've read that on here in the past whenever cruises from Hawaii are mentioned.

I have heard the recent one sold poorly but the options were Sept 7 and Sept 17 both 10 days and during the beginning of the school year for most families with school aged kids. I really wanted to do it myself but 10 days away from school is a no go for us..

Have they ever done New Orleans as a port? Wondering if that could be a new port? Maybe for the Wonder?

I just don't envision DCL picking New Orleans out of all of the available options. It's a fun city, but just doesn't seem like the overall image they're promoting...but who knows?

I just don't envision DCL picking New Orleans out of all of the available options. It's a fun city, but just doesn't seem like the overall image they're promoting...but who knows?

Yeah and I'm not even sure how far you can get in 7 days we did a 4 day and only went to Mexico

I don't have firsthand knowledge, but my understanding is that the round-trip sold out and the one-ways were a bust due to a combination of timing and the astronomical cost of airfare to or from Hawaii.

Someone on another board just posted that the new port is NYC with sailings being more frequent than they currently are. That's a bummer, IMO, because I already consider NYC a Disney port.:(

Someone on another board just posted that the new port is NYC with sailings being more frequent than they currently are. That's a bummer, IMO, because I already consider NYC a Disney port.:(

Agreed they have been leaving out less frequently but definitely not a new port.

Disney said a new port, DCL has been to NYC before so it wouldn’t be new

For those who keep track of DCL itinerary release dates , is this considered to be early? TIA Patiently waiting for Sept 2020 itineraries :surfweb:

They've just announced they'll be sailing from NYC more frequently but that could be in addition to the new port rather than instead of.

I'm looking to book our 4th DCL trip, but this is my first time booking during the opening. Still silver CC. How will the new itineraries be posted? Are they all on the website with a view of available rooms, but I just can't book a trip? Or do I have to wait until my booking date to be able to view the itineraries?

Odd -- just spoke to my TA and they have no word that anything is in the works to be released :confused3
Your TA should follow the Disney Parks Blog. I suspect all relevant booking details will be revealed during the live stream.

Galvaston has seen RCL and Carnival added their bigger ships and thus capacity to the port there. It's a bit of a pain to get fe9m Houston to there with traffic these days. New Orleans has a new airport terminal coming online, increasing air traffic and connections.

If they do add New Orleans, I'm even more wishful that they'd add a true Mississippi River boat to the DCL. Build the biggest paddlewheeler you can(Steamboat Willy anyone?) for the lower Mississippi(stl and south, no locks) and tie it into a home port with the ocean cruises for possible back to backs, ocean and river. Build a private exclusive stop along the way(Think Tom and Huck Themed River Country type place)

For those who keep track of DCL itinerary release dates , is this considered to be early? TIA

I'm sure there are others on here who follow release dates more religiously (and a lot longer) than I have, but compared with last year yes, this is early. We had intended to go on a spring cruise in 2019, so I followed spring release dates like a hawk at this time last year. I was thinking mid November for this year. I can't speak to any further back than that though, so it may just have been that last year was late and we're back to normal release times this year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter