2020 Point Charts

Bet they will try it again for 2021 and beyond though. Better prepared.
That would be my guess. The question is whether it's the same chart with better advanced communication or a different reallocation more in line with what would make more sense to us. It would be a moderate amount of work to use the same data and make the change to lower 1 BR or keep them the same as before. Limited effort would be required last those with only lockouts but more effort at those with dedicated smaller villas. I suspect they have the spreadsheet build for such changes, they would just have to plug in any changes and for those with smaller dedicated villas only, be sure the total balance is appropriate.

We'll my 28 pt savings for my AP year by using a 2 BR for the full family portion just went up into smoke. Oh my first world problems.

When it comes to future changes, I wonder if they will change the seasons so that the very popular DVC fall frenzy falls in a more expensive point season?

I also suspect a change in 2021, but DVC will not leave the change up to some IT group playing with data and making invalid conclusions. It is true that studios have more demand than other rooms, with DVD being a primary cause -- selling 50 to 100 point contracts for the last 9 years while raising prices 100% over the same period, and then creating bungalows and cabins that few can afford the points for so DVD can sell more points to those who can afford only studios.

But high demand for studios is ultimately not the real problem. The problem is what everyone has actually known it has been for many years -- the demand for late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan time is excessive. Between the Monday after marathon weekend and late Sep, room availability is a lot better, including for studios -- BWV pool/garden, BRV, AKV standard and savanna view, SSR, OKW, Poly, and BLT lake view studios are usually open at 7 months out, even BCV and BLT theme park view studios are open 50% of the time at 7 months out, and VGF and BWV boardwalk view can be found about 30% of the time. Moreover, for some categories -- BWV standard, BLT standard, and AKV value and club level, it matters not what changes would be made because nothing is ever going to solve the high demand problems with those.

What is dictated by the actual data are the traditional seasonal changes. In other words, I suspect we are going to get changes over a two-year period (cannot change more than 20% in one year), where DVC finally bites the bullet and substantially raises points in the adventure and choice seasons that dominate the late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan period, set-off by a real lowering in the magic season and some in dream. Many members will gag at those changes but no one will be able to claim they are improper or not legally allowed, and one of the results will be a rise in 2BR and 1BR demand, particularly from Feb through August.

Last edited:
I also suspect a change in 2021, but DVC will not leave the change up to some IT group playing with data and making invalid conclusions. It is true that studios have more demand than other rooms, with DVD being a primary cause -- selling 50 to 100 point contracts for the last 9 years while raising prices 100% over the same period, and then creating bungalows and cabins that few can afford the points for so DVD can sell more points to those who can afford only studios.

But high demand for studios is ultimately not the real problem. The problem is what everyone has actually known it has been for many years -- the demand for late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan time is excessive. Between the Monday after marathon weekend and late Sep, room availability is a lot better, including for studios -- BWV pool/garden, BRV, AKV standard and savanna view, SSR, OKW, Poly, and BLT lake view studios are usually open at 7 months out, even BCV and BLT theme park view studios are open 50% of the time at 7 months out, and VGF and BWV boardwalk view can be found about 30% of the time. Moreover, for some categories -- BWV standard, BLT standard, and AKV value and club level, it matters not what changes would be made because nothing is ever going to solve the high demand problems with those.

What is dictated by the actual data are the traditional seasonal changes. In other words, I suspect we are going to get changes over a two-year period (cannot change more than 20% in one year), where DVC finally bites the bullet and substantially raises points in the adventure and choice seasons that dominate the late Sep to marathon weekend in Jan period, set-off by a real lowering in the magic season and some in dream. Many members will gag at those changes but no one will be able to claim they are improper or not legally allowed, and one of the results will be a rise in 2BR and 1BR demand, particularly from Feb through August.

Good points @drusba . Although I'm newer to DVC, I would argue the "fall frenzy" has many root causes, but the biggest is probably the points chart. If we did a survey of those who like to travel during that time and asked them their primary reason why, I'm betting "lower points requirements" would rank towards the top. Reworking the seasons to spread out demand a little would be similar to their approach on park tickets. Who knows whether that will be entirely successful, but I think we should probably expect some changes there.

I will gladly take a lower point chart for the month of May!!

I happened to check another forum I go on, and they posted a letter they received back from DVC. Here’s a screenshot posted yesterday...

58E830BD-BA80-49B7-BB24-662D7D951C20.jpeg

Still says to me "We realize we overstepped our bounds and will make changes once we figure out the right bounds"
I agree, you really shouldn’t have expected them to say what we did was not conforming to the contract but since you guys called us out we are going to cancel the point chart changes and try again at a later date. They cannot make adjustments that creates additional points that do not benefit the members. What they can do is the same thing they did with ticket prices. Lower the points needed for when the rooms are not highest in demand and increase the points needed for peak DVC season at the resort. But in any case at the end of it all the total points for the resort should not increase nor decrease.

I fear a reallocation of the seasons will be even worse than the reallocation of points chart....:(
I don't see how it could be worse except for those who only bought enough points for studios during Adventure Season. In which case, most of them were going to be adversely affected by the previous 2020 charts, anyway.

I'm okay with a season-to-season adjustment, or even raising studios by a point or two while lowering 1BRs to make up for it. I just take issue with a senseless reallocation that did nothing to benefit the majority of members while creating points out of thin air at already sold out resorts.

I don't see how it could be worse except for those who only bought enough points for studios during Adventure Season. In which case, most of them were going to be adversely affected by the previous 2020 charts, anyway.

I'm okay with a season-to-season adjustment, or even raising studios by a point or two while lowering 1BRs to make up for it. I just take issue with a senseless reallocation that did nothing to benefit the majority of members while creating points out of thin air at already sold out resorts.
I guess it depends on how much they change the points per season. I think it will be more than just a point or two.

Serious question, since I don't know the answer. Were Wells Fargos emails protected during their investigation/lawsuit?

Generally, privileged communication which is not discoverable is limited to communication between an attorney and client. Wells Fargo's managers discussing revenue enhancement ideas were not considered privileged, and were made available to the plaintiffs.

I guess it depends on how much they change the points per season. I think it will be more than just a point or two.
Points can only be changed by 20% from one reallocation to the next. In the case of most studios, that would be +2-5 points/night, maximum. I believe that a VGF lake view during Magic Season can go up a maximum of +8/night.

okay with a season-to-season adjustment, or even raising studios by a point or two while lowering 1BRs to make up for it. I just take issue with a senseless reallocation that did nothing to benefit the majority of members while creating points out of thin air at already sold out resorts.

I agree completely. They're supposed to be balancing demand for the owners, not squeezing them out. Raising 1BR makes zero sense unless it's an insidious way to squeeze out owners and increase forfeited points and their own rental inventory.

I just looked at BCV 2020 and I'm glad they rolled it back. Today was the deadline since 1/1/2020 is open for booking (via 11months + 7)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter