2019 PTRs - Utah and Hilton Head and Disney! Oh my! (updated 4/1)

trackchik6

Earning My Ears
Hi! This is my first attempt at a PTR. I'll learn as I go. I'm going to go by "B" here. I'm a mom of 3 kids - DS1 (age 9 - who we'll call "I"), DS2 (age 7 - who we'll call "N"), and DD (age 4 - who we'll call "L"), and wife to DH. We live in Northern VA. I love to travel and I'm up for adventure with the kids!

In April this year, we are taking a week vacation out west. We are flying into Las Vegas, renting a car and driving to Zion National Park and Bryce National Park. (Fun fact: I am trying to visit all 50 states. Utah is a new state for me, and will be #36). I am currently working on plans for this trip. We are traveling with my family of 5, and my parents and sister, too. Essentially, I like travel planning and everyone else seems content to let me plan :) I try to ask for feedback as I go along but mostly everyone just goes along with whatever I suggest :) This has pros and cons :) Mostly pros.

In June we are going to HHI for a week. We are driving, and both DH and I come from a long line of NOT early to rise to leave for vacation people. The drive should be interesting. We rented a two bedroom condo in Palmetto Dunes. I went to Sea Pines about 6 years ago, but have never been to Palmetto Dunes. I have told everyone that I am NOT planning anything for this vacation. We can go to the beach and pool and do whatever else we feel like when we are there.

In August we go to Disney for 5 nights, 6 days - the week before the kids start school. This is the trip I am probably spending the most time planning :)

Last edited:
More on the Disney trip. We are staying at AKL, with 4 day park hopper passes plus free Disney Dining Plan. I have made ADRs at: Tusker House lunch (plus ROL show tickets), 1900 Park Fare dinner (for our "princess" meal), Biergarten dinner, Sanaa dinner, BOG lunch, and Boma breakfast. I have not eaten at any of these restaurants yet (with the exception of BOG where I previously ate dinner, never lunch).

For some reason I am now sort of regretting the 1900 Park Fare choice (even though I previously thought the step sisters would be fun for everyone). As background, I wanted to get full use out of the dining plan and not have to buy much food otherwise - so originally I really wanted to stick to 1 credit meals for table service (and not do any 2 credit this trip). This is why I did not originally book CRT. I have previously eaten at CRT with the boys only (before L was born). Now that I am second guessing my princess meal plan, there's no availability at CRT, Trattoria al Forno, or Artist Point, but I have a Touring Plans tracker on the 1st and last right now.

I like food and trying new restaurants.

Last edited:
I suppose travel planning is my legit hobby, and I am trying to pry myself away from the Disney planning to do some more pressing planning on our national parks trip!

Here is the tentative plan:

Day 1: Fly into Vegas, stay overnight in Vegas
Day 2: Hang in Vegas during day as long as we want, and at some point drive to Zion, stay in Zion (I originally had booked 2 nights in Vegas and 2 nights in Zion, then we decided to cancel the second night in Vegas and add a 3rd night in Zion - and as a great recent update - some rooms opened up and I was able to add a 3rd night at the same hotel in Zion!) - possible stops on drive if time: Valley of Fire State Park, Snow Canyon
Day 3: Full day in Zion (stay in Zion)
Day 4: Full day in Zion (stay in Zion)
Day 5: Do anything else we want in Zion, drive to Bryce (stay in Bryce) - On drive between Zion and Bryce do scenic drive on Zion-Mount Carmel Highway
Day 6: Full day in Bryce (stay in Bryce)
Day 7: Weather permitting, consider skiing or cedar breaks national monument; drive back to Vegas (stay in Vegas)
Day 8: Fly out

To do in Vegas ideas (nothing reserved): Hotel pool, Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay, Pirate Show at Treasure Island, Water show and gardens at Bellagio, Gondola ride at the Venetian and gelato, Secret Garden at Mirage, Tournament of Kings (other: Hoover Dam, Red Rock Canyon)

To do in Zion ideas (nothing reserved yet): visitor center and Jr Ranger packets and hear about any ranger programs we might want to do, decide whether we want to do a jeep tour (probably no), Kid-friendly hikes: Riverside Walk (easy) (last stop on shuttle– ride shuttle out and start there one day; access to Virgin River), Emerald Pool Trail (easy to moderate) (hang out at middle emerald pool with kids, and maybe end hike there) (access this trail across from the Lodge), Archeology Trail, the Grotto Trail (access trail near Lodge), Pa’rus Trail (Access to Virgin River), Weeping Rock Trail, Lunch or ice cream at the lodge (but crowds, so probably better to bring a picnic lunch), Court of the patriarchs? (others in group may consider the Narrows if open, but not me and kids).

To do in Bryce ideas (nothing reserved): visitor center and Jr Ranger packets and hear about any ranger programs we might want to do, watch sunrise and sunsets, try to do a Night sky park ranger program, easy hike ideas Sunrise to Sunset Point (recommended: walking the easy half-mile trail between them); Navajo Loop starts and ends at Sunset Point. It is only 1.3 miles round-trip, but it descends from the rim to the bottom of the canyon and hiking back to the top is strenuous. If you’re up for that, every step is worth it. At the bottom, there is an opportunity to connect to the slightly longer Queen’s Garden trail which will take you back to Sunrise Point and is considered the easiest of the trails going down from the rim.

In general I am aiming for: less is more and downtime for kids to play in pool, rivers, etc.

Oh, and p.s. my 9 y/o is in 4th grade so we are getting the free kid in every park national parks pass for 4th graders!

Last edited:
The Disney update is that I was hemming and hawing over TSL EMM, and when I finally went to book it a week or two ago - it was sold out! But, I didn't give up and I kept checking. Yesterday to my surprise I was able to book it for the date I wanted! I did not originally want to book it because early / $$$ but with the prospect of TSL EMM no longer being offered shortly - coupled with the fact that we've never been to TSL or done Jedi Training (and I'll like to do it all this trip if possible) and DHS is about to get way more crowded - I booked it, and I think we're probably going to end up keeping it. I am happy with this choice for now. We'll see how we feel waking up at 6am that day :)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter