2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Oh no, my husband's physiotherapist just told us that his recent knee swelling (unknown cause) means no running for race weekend, so we'll be officially walking the 5K, and possibly renting a wheelchair for the rest of our two week trip. *sigh* At least he's only signed up for the one race. I still get to (actually) run the other two.

Well, yesterday my cousin and I signed up for the 5k through the charity RODS. Which means we’ll be volunteering before and maybe after. Fun!

We were both feeling kinda “lonely” with the 10k being the only thing for us this year.

When is everyone doing their last long run? I did wine and dine, so I picked up the training plan for Princess at the beginning shortly after finishing W&D. With my crazy work schedule, I just did 11 miles last night. 11 was my longest before W&D and I felt okay, but I ended up doing a 10 mile race about a week before the half. My friend that I run with is on vacation for the next week, so I was debating squeezing in the 12.5 next week when she's back but I'm not sure it's necessary since this is going to be my 5th half.

I'm only doing the 5k due to scheduling issues (I have to go home the day before the half :sad:). If it's your 5th half then rather than squeezing in a 12.5, can you go for cumulative miles by doing 3 shorter runs close together? Say 4 miles, 5 miles, and finish with 4 miles?
Training wise I'm working on 12 half marathons this year so the 5k feels incredibly short but I'm glad to tick a RunDisney event off my bucket list.
Speaking of which, I noticed there are several training trails around Disney property but they all seem very short. Is there a longer loop I should be looking at? I'm in AK area and need to get a 10 mile run in one of the days I'm over there.
TIA!

I’m planning my last long run tomorrow. I was Hoping to do a short run today but I developed a sore throat so I’m holding off till tomorrow.

Just finished my last long run! 12.1 miles! I guess the worst is over. I feel confident we can finish strong after today. This will be my (and my girlfriends’) first run Disney event and I like to know why I am getting into. For anyone who has done this race - every blog I have read talks about the horrible hills at the end with the army men etc. but when I look at the course elevation gain it says 57 feet. So am I foolish to think they can’t really be that bad? As an example we had a 590ft gain on our long run today. So what is EXACTLY the deal with these hills for the PHM? Much ado about nothing or is the info about 57ft gain incorrect? Any details would mean so much because I get the jitters before a run and the more info I have the better. Thank you!!!

Just finished my last long run! 12.1 miles! I guess the worst is over. I feel confident we can finish strong after today. This will be my (and my girlfriends’) first run Disney event and I like to know why I am getting into. For anyone who has done this race - every blog I have read talks about the horrible hills at the end with the army men etc. but when I look at the course elevation gain it says 57 feet. So am I foolish to think they can’t really be that bad? As an example we had a 590ft gain on our long run today. So what is EXACTLY the deal with these hills for the PHM? Much ado about nothing or is the info about 57ft gain incorrect? Any details would mean so much because I get the jitters before a run and the more info I have the better. Thank you!!!
Much ado about nothing. No true hills, just highway ramps/overpasses. Sarge is on the longest one encouraging runners, so it’s all fun. I usually run/walk that one!

For anyone who has done this race - every blog I have read talks about the horrible hills at the end with the army men etc. but when I look at the course elevation gain it says 57 feet. So am I foolish to think they can’t really be that bad?

It curves. It’s a long uphill. And there’s the camber, which you cannot train for, and can really jack up a knee or hip.

I’ll be doing the Seattle Hot Chocolate 15k the week after Princess. This’ll be the 4th year I’ve done it. You can check out the elevation map for it.

That’s easier for me than that dratted cloverleaf ramp at the Princess Half.

Last edited:
When is everyone doing their last long run? I did wine and dine, so I picked up the training plan for Princess at the beginning shortly after finishing W&D. With my crazy work schedule, I just did 11 miles last night. 11 was my longest before W&D and I felt okay, but I ended up doing a 10 mile race about a week before the half. My friend that I run with is on vacation for the next week, so I was debating squeezing in the 12.5 next week when she's back but I'm not sure it's necessary since this is going to be my 5th half.
My last long run was today and I only made it to 10. The wind was intense and there were many areas that were iced over. I prefer to get to 12 before a half, but I've done a few races where I just get up to 10 and it works out ok. Hopefully it will this time too!

Yes. It's the camber that just kills you. It starts at mile 10 after you've been on a long flat straight stretch. Then you have to lean into a big clover leaf. I usually get over in the grass just off the road. It's flatter there.

It's perfect placement for the army man though!

I'm in AK area and need to get a 10 mile run in one of the days I'm over there.
TIA!

I was staying at AKL after Xmas and needed to put in 9.5 on my training schedule. So I rode the bus to Wilderness Lodge, left my bag with bag check, and did my run all around WL and Fort Wilderness. It was great! There were water fountains all around Fort Wilderness and I loved seeing everyone ‘s campers and decorations. There isn’t really a jogging trail at AKL.

I did my last long run today. I ran 10miles and now my tendon on the top of my foot is killing me. I’ve been icing it this evening. I’m praying that it won’t be this bad in the morning. Anyone have success with taping or wrapping a tendon?

I was staying at AKL after Xmas and needed to put in 9.5 on my training schedule. So I rode the bus to Wilderness Lodge, left my bag with bag check, and did my run all around WL and Fort Wilderness. It was great! There were water fountains all around Fort Wilderness and I loved seeing everyone ‘s campers and decorations. There isn’t really a jogging trail at AKL.

I would love to do that! I'm just always at Disney only for running, so I don't have time to do much more running. I may have to squeeze in a short one at Fort Wilderness.

When we stayed at the poly last year we drove over to Wilderness Lodge and ran the path to Fort Wilderness. You can run all over the campground. DH got turned around in there and ran much longer than he intended to! :)

Thank you!

I think I’m a lone wolf when it comes to the ramps. I enjoy them. I live in flat Florida so I like to see how quick I can make my way up them. It’s also the final stretch before coming into Epcot! It tends to give me a boost of energy knowing I’m so close to the finish line.

Advice needed: My friend and I are registered for the half marathon. Due to some knee problems I had been having, I knew I was going to walk/run the race since my physical therapist said doing anything else would be too hard on my knee. Now, we're two weeks out and I have done something to my plantar fascia and my foot is killing me. I have been running and am going back to PT this week but am terrified that it's going to make me have to walk more than I wanted to. Does anyone know of walkers in this race? I have seen mixed opinions on people and walking this Disney Princess half. I am terrified they are going to kick me out or something.. definitely didn't plan for this. :/ Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated because I'm freaking out, haha.

Thanks!!

Advice needed: My friend and I are registered for the half marathon. Due to some knee problems I had been having, I knew I was going to walk/run the race since my physical therapist said doing anything else would be too hard on my knee. Now, we're two weeks out and I have done something to my plantar fascia and my foot is killing me. I have been running and am going back to PT this week but am terrified that it's going to make me have to walk more than I wanted to. Does anyone know of walkers in this race? I have seen mixed opinions on people and walking this Disney Princess half. I am terrified they are going to kick me out or something.. definitely didn't plan for this. :/ Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated because I'm freaking out, haha.

Thanks!!

There are lots of walkers. It’s a long time on your feet so just be mentally prepared for that especially if it’s hot and humid like last year.

I think I’m a lone wolf when it comes to the ramps. I enjoy them. I live in flat Florida so I like to see how quick I can make my way up them. It’s also the final stretch before coming into Epcot! It tends to give me a boost of energy knowing I’m so close to the finish line.
Thanks! I appreciate the responses. I guess I don’t need to fear the hills!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter