2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Was I supposed to get an email with a link for the waiver or do I just dig around on the run Disney website? I haven’t gotten any information about the run in a while.
I don't think it was sent in an email. You can go to the runDisney website, and there's an Event Waiver link on the right side of the Princess Half Marathon weekend page.

I know the FAQ page says walkers are welcome but do people actually walk the whole thing?

Yes.

The 3.5 hour time limit to finish might be close if I have to walk the whole thing, would I still get a medal if I'm a few minutes over that mark?

You’ll be fine, especially since the true timing starts with the very last person to cross the start line.

But fwiw they would have cleared you from the course already. They don’t let you keep going beyond the full allotted time. It’s not like a local race where you can keep going, but on sidewalks.

But even if you’re taken off the course they hand you your food box and medal.

And none of that will be an issue for you; I just have a ridiculous need to be thorough.

I'm not sure if links are allowed here

Links are allowed. Some sites aren’t. To see, put the full URL. Click More Options. Click to see the preview of the post.

If the URL comes through, you’re fine and the site is allowed.

If it comes through with ****, then it’s not allowed. Don’t post it and don’t hint at it.

Same for TA links, FYI!

I have a friend coming to spectate and she's signed up for runner tracking. I'd like to devise a game plan for her that says "When I cross timing mat A, I'll be approx X minutes from Y (TTC, Main Street, Poly, Finish, etc.)"

Their tracking has gotten better over the years, but it still can be delayed or miss sending an update. I track myself and have gotten very delayed notice that I crossed a mat.

It’s best if she sees you off as you go to the corrals and then just heads off to the TTC, sees you and heads to Main Street, etc.

I know it'd be difficult to get to TTC and Main Street but this way she could make the best decision based on how the morning is shaking out.

My cousin’s hubby had no issues getting to those places. He said goodbye to us as we headed off (runners leave the main ore-corral area early FYI) and started on his trek.

Last edited:
Hey guys! I haven't caught up on the thread yet but want to go ahead and ask. Are there any TAs selling discounted bibs or waiving the package portion yet? I might pull the trigger if I can get a discounted race entry. I know many were doing it for Marathon weekend since it didn't sell out so wasn't sure if it was happening for Princess or not. Thanks!

Hey guys! I haven't caught up on the thread yet but want to go ahead and ask. Are there any TAs selling discounted bibs or waiving the package portion yet? I might pull the trigger if I can get a discounted race entry. I know many were doing it for Marathon weekend since it didn't sell out so wasn't sure if it was happening for Princess or not. Thanks!

Watching for the same thing. My DS has started running, but too late to sign up for the 5k. I'd totally sign him up if I could!

I am looking for some advice from some of you experienced Run Disney runners. Last fall I signed up for this half marathon and less than two weeks later, suffered a pretty serious injury that required surgery and a cervical spinal fusion. I have not been able to run at all but have been able to walk just fine, including long distances. After X-rays tomorrow I'll find out if I can start adding some running into the mix, but even if I can, I won't be able to run much at all by the time this race takes place. I CAN walk 13+ miles without difficulty, but with a maximum of 2.5 weeks of adding jogging into the routine, I know I'll be walking almost this entire race if I go through with it. I have run numerous half marathons before but no Run Disney events. I know the FAQ page says walkers are welcome but do people actually walk the whole thing? Will I be all by myself in the back of the pack? The 3.5 hour time limit to finish might be close if I have to walk the whole thing, would I still get a medal if I'm a few minutes over that mark?

Under most circumstances I would just throw in the towel but this is my 40th birthday and I really, REALLY want that medal! I dropped my 7 night cruise down to a 4 night, took extra time off of work and changed all our plans including our flight just so I could make this happen. If I'm being unrealistic, I just want to know now so I can get my crying over with and still enjoy this trip.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I’d have to look back at my notes, but if you can maintain the minimum pace (and like others have said, just stay in front of the balloon ladies .... the further up you start, the better) for 9-10 miles, you should be past the last sweep point. Someone here will know exactly where it is.

It’s best if she sees you off as you go to the corrals and then just heads off to the TTC, sees you and heads to Main Street, etc.

My cousin’s hubby had no issues getting to those places. He said goodbye to us as we headed off (runners leave the main ore-corral area early FYI) and started on his trek.
The feasibility of this really depends on your pace. I'm estimating it will only take me 10 min to get from TTC to Magic Kingdom. Catching a monorail, going through security, and finding a spot on Main Street in that time would be tight and quite stressful.

I apologize if this has been posted before, but do we know what mile markers the character photo opps will be at in the half? Are they set in the all the races. Just trying to plan ahead on how much I might actually be able to stop. My fear of the balloon ladies is real. :crazy2: If I'm in corral F, how much extra cushion time will that give me before the last wave leaves?

My fear of the balloon ladies is real. :crazy2: If I'm in corral F, how much extra cushion time will that give me before the last wave leaves?

This chart is based on the half marathon in Marathon Weekend, which should be similar, but does not mean it is exact by any means. So a good rough guess.

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 6.28.57 AM.png

So this would estimate a 30 min difference between the start of corral F and the end of corral H. This means in theory, you could have as much as a 4:00 HM finish time or an 18:18 min/mile average pace. Just keep in mind this is a rolling number. Which means if you stop for a character for 30 min in mile 1, then all of the theoretical buffer is gone. From what I've read, runDisney does a pretty good job to let you know if you are in danger of being swept. Someone might be able to PM you (or post it here) the balloon ladies bib # and then you could track them during the race if you're looking for in the moment peace of mind.

This chart is based on the half marathon in Marathon Weekend, which should be similar, but does not mean it is exact by any means. So a good rough guess.

View attachment 380805

So this would estimate a 30 min difference between the start of corral F and the end of corral H. This means in theory, you could have as much as a 4:00 HM finish time or an 18:18 min/mile average pace. Just keep in mind this is a rolling number. Which means if you stop for a character for 30 min in mile 1, then all of the theoretical buffer is gone. From what I've read, runDisney does a pretty good job to let you know if you are in danger of being swept. Someone might be able to PM you (or post it here) the balloon ladies bib # and then you could track them during the race if you're looking for in the moment peace of mind.

They do. That’s what the balloon ladies are for, plus I’ve heard there are guys on bikes. You get warning, from everything I’ve heard. I’ve been injured and I’ve been slow and I’ve never seen any of them. They do have a parade bus people take photos with sometimes. Don’t be scared when you see it.

The feasibility of this really depends on your pace. I'm estimating it will only take me 10 min to get from TTC to Magic Kingdom. Catching a monorail, going through security, and finding a spot on Main Street in that time would be tight and quite stressful.

Yeah I think for most of our friends that wanted to spectate choosing to spectate in the Magic kingdom would require the person to give up spectating at some of the other spots around the MK. For our friends they usually either spectate at the Contemp and Poly or TTC and Poly. With TTC and Poly it's an easy walk from 1 to the other.

I am looking for some advice from some of you experienced Run Disney runners. Last fall I signed up for this half marathon and less than two weeks later, suffered a pretty serious injury that required surgery and a cervical spinal fusion. I have not been able to run at all but have been able to walk just fine, including long distances. After X-rays tomorrow I'll find out if I can start adding some running into the mix, but even if I can, I won't be able to run much at all by the time this race takes place. I CAN walk 13+ miles without difficulty, but with a maximum of 2.5 weeks of adding jogging into the routine, I know I'll be walking almost this entire race if I go through with it. I have run numerous half marathons before but no Run Disney events. I know the FAQ page says walkers are welcome but do people actually walk the whole thing? Will I be all by myself in the back of the pack? The 3.5 hour time limit to finish might be close if I have to walk the whole thing, would I still get a medal if I'm a few minutes over that mark?

Under most circumstances I would just throw in the towel but this is my 40th birthday and I really, REALLY want that medal! I dropped my 7 night cruise down to a 4 night, took extra time off of work and changed all our plans including our flight just so I could make this happen. If I'm being unrealistic, I just want to know now so I can get my crying over with and still enjoy this trip.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Thank you so much for posting your concern. Though my injury is not nearly as extensive as yours I too will be limited to the amount of running I can actually do. I have been worried about possibly having to walk the whole thing and coming across the finish DFL. I have been trying to wrap my brain around the fact I will have to walk the whole CHALLENGE. Knowing that I won't be alone helps. It will be hard to not get wrapped up in all the excitement and not start running. Please know you are not alone. DNF is not an option. Good luck.

Info please...

1. Spectator buses - I can't find anything in the event guide for the half marathon. In the past, buses stopped between 5 and 7 and picked back up at 7 for spectators. Is that still true? Can anyone direct me on where to find this info for this year's race?

2. After the race/Chear squad zones - My mother and kids will be watching me at the finish line from the reserved seating (they wanted the chear packages for the souvenirs). But, once I finish, we'd like to continue watching to cheer on my family members who will span about 15 min to as much as 45 min after me. Any tips where to go to watch? I'm assuming I can't get in to the chear zone so where can we go?? Is the general seating ridiculous and out of the question?

Info please...

1. Spectator buses - I can't find anything in the event guide for the half marathon. In the past, buses stopped between 5 and 7 and picked back up at 7 for spectators. Is that still true? Can anyone direct me on where to find this info for this year's race?

I think this is what you're looking for: https://guide.rundisney.events/transportation/

Under Race Days it says the transportation will be at the following times on the day of the half marathon:
From Host Resorts to Start Line: 3:00am - 5:00am
Finish Line to Host Resorts: 6:00am - 11:00am

I think this is what you're looking for

Under Race Days it says the transportation will be at the following times on the day of the half marathon:
From Host Resorts to Start Line: 3:00am - 5:00am
Finish Line to Host Resorts: 6:00am - 11:00am
Thank you, I saw that but I’ve read on other sites that the buses usually start again around 7:30 from Disney resorts to Epcot. And, that’s when my family was planning on going but I can’t find confirmation from Disney that there will be a 7/7:30 bus

Thank you, I saw that but I’ve read on other sites that the buses usually start again around 7:30 from Disney resorts to Epcot. And, that’s when my family was planning on going but I can’t find confirmation from Disney that there will be a 7/7:30 bus
I've only done one runDisney event, so maybe someone else can better understand your question and clarify the information you're looking for! My interpretation was that the buses would be ongoing from 6:00am-11:00am from the finish line to host resorts, and vice versa, so your family should be able to get on a bus at 7/7:30 to get to the finish line for spectating.

If this is incorrect, please feel free to let me know!

View attachment 380805

Thanks DopeyBadger! I really appreciate the information. My miles are usually around 12:30 minutes. I really do think I will be okay, but if I need to stop and walk a little, I just want to pace myself. Somedays are good running days, and then the next time (like today), I had to stop twice and walk during my 3 mile short run. I've been fighting a sinus infection this week, so I know that is not helping. Plus it was almost 80 degrees while I was running today. Praying for a nice cold morning on race day!

I remember seeing that information in the past and I can't find it either. Seems like they've streamlined the guide to the point of leaving information out.

Thanks DopeyBadger! I really appreciate the information. My miles are usually around 12:30 minutes. I really do think I will be okay, but if I need to stop and walk a little, I just want to pace myself. Somedays are good running days, and then the next time (like today), I had to stop twice and walk during my 3 mile short run. I've been fighting a sinus infection this week, so I know that is not helping. Plus it was almost 80 degrees while I was running today. Praying for a nice cold morning on race day!

If you are able to maintain a 12:30 min/mile half marathon (although granted most training should be spent far slower than HM goal pace, so this is a guess on my part), and start at the front of corral F, then you're looking at about 1:15 hours of "character time". Again, a rolling number which means you don't get all 1:15 hours in the first mile, but rather you have that kind of available time by the time you hit mile 13 (so over the entire course). Outside of a major injury or insufficient training, if you believe a 12:30 min/mile HM is your pace on race day, you have an extremely low chance of even seeing the balloon ladies. If you want some race pace strategy help (to ensure a 12:30 or other goal pace is appropriate) just send me a recent 5k/10k time and how many hours you've spent training in the last three weeks. Have fun and enjoy the victory lap of training!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter