2019 Points?

Jaguar Skills

Mouseketeer
So we have just got our first DVC contract (although it will need to go to ROFR first).

We have asked the seller to bank the 2020 points of which there are 122, because we are from the UK and need a bit of time to plan and realistically next year is the first time we will be able to go.

The contract also comes with a small handful (41) of 2019 points. We were either thinking of renting them out or using them on one of the non disney hotels just so they aren't lost. Can we start the process of renting them out as soon as it is through ROFR as they need to be used by Jan 31 as it is a Feb UY contract.

Any advice so they don't go to waste?

I assume these were 2019 points that were previously banked into 2020?

You wouldn't be able to transfer them or make a reservation for someone who rents them from you until the points are actually posted to your account, which is the very last step in the purchase process. I suppose you could theoretically enter into a rental agreement on the condition that you would make the reservation once you have the points, but since there is no guarantee the reservation they want would be available at that time, it would be a very foolish person indeed who would enter into such a contract with you, and I wouldn't recommend being that kind of owner.

You will just have to wait until the process is complete, and then look to rent your points. Hopefully at that point there will be bookings available before the points expire on 1/31/21, and if so they may be highly sought after due to pent up demand!

PS (I'm not sure what you mean about using the points on a "non-Disney" hotel)

Contracts can not close with pending reservations. So, you Will have to wait until you are the owner of the points.

If you are purchasing resale, you cannot use them for the Disney Collection (other non-DVC Disney resorts). I'd just consider them lost at this point.

Points purchased via resale can't be used for non-
The points can be used at a non-Disney hotel, just not a non-DVC Disney hotel.
Not unless the points are used to book something in the RCI system and are deposited into RCI prior to the deadline, which is either 45 days or 14 days prior to their expiration. (The deposits made 44 - 14 days come with booking restrictions).

Points cannot be used to book non-Disney Hotels, unless the non-Disney Hotels are part of the Concierge Collection. Resale points purchased after March 21, 2011 cannot be used for any of the options in the Concierge Collection. Also, a reservation for stay in a Concierge Collection hotel cannot be made during the last 4 months of the use year.

Points purchased via resale can't be used for non-

Not unless the points are used to book something in the RCI system and are deposited into RCI prior to the deadline, which is either 45 days or 14 days prior to their expiration. (The deposits made 44 - 14 days come with booking restrictions).

Points cannot be used to book non-Disney Hotels, unless the non-Disney Hotels are part of the Concierge Collection. Resale points purchased after March 21, 2011 cannot be used for any of the options in the Concierge Collection. Also, a reservation for stay in a Concierge Collection hotel cannot be made during the last 4 months of the use year.
could you explain This a bit more as I’m not sure I follow.

What CarolMN said. I had forgotten that any non-Disney hotels were in the concierge collection so when you mentioned using the points for non-Disney resorts, I thought RCI is what you meant.

Yes it was the RCI hotels we meant. Does that mean we cannot use them for that? Not too much of an issue we will just lose them or rent them out but would be nice to do something with them if we can.

You should also be aware that DVC is currently taking a much longer time than normal to close on contracts. Our contract went to ROFR on 2/24. It passed on 3/20. Our deed was recorded on 5/8. It is now 30 days later and we still don't see the contract in our account, and have heard that it can take another 1-2 weeks after that for the points to show up. So, you many not have access to the points as early as you might normally expect.

Thanks for that. We are prepared for a bit of a wait. Looking to book for April next year but hoping still that when we get our points which could be August/September we can book 3 weeks at our home report of SSR as it is the largest one. And maybe try and get a week somewhere different. We haven't been to any of the DVC hotels so we are excited.

We were in a similar position last year. We got our points around July and there were quite a bit of already banked points expiring 1/31. What I did was post them in a FB group for a greatly reduced rate. I had a lot of interest and was able to make a couple of shorter reservations at Saratoga, which still had decent availability.

I also stalked the DVC availability site and would book something anytime I saw a cancellation (as long as it was more than 30days away). For example - I saw 3 nights Copper Creek pop up for October and 5 nights at Poly over Christmas- I rented those out as confirmed reservations at full price and they were snatched up quickly as there was literally no other availability for those times. I was surprised at how easy this was - if you watch closely enough, there are always cancellations and modifications showing up. Probably this year more than ever !

Good luck!!

I just signed a contract with 110 AKL points due to expire Jan 31, 2021. I am really hoping to get the points in my account by the end of summer and will most likely have to rent them out or try to sell a confirmed reservation. What FB groups should I join to prepare for this? Hopefully ROFR goes through.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter