2019 Holiday Time at DLR Superthread: 11/08/19 - 1/06/20!

Do you think the Plaza Inn reserved parade viewing package is a must for a Friday night parade? I definitely want to see it just wondering what my other parade viewing options might be without the package! (which I booked as a just in case as of now!)

Do you think the Plaza Inn reserved parade viewing package is a must for a Friday night parade? I definitely want to see it just wondering what my other parade viewing options might be without the package! (which I booked as a just in case as of now!)
I think so. I booked it for a Saturday night parade.

I have been thinking about the parade package as well...(the thought occurred yesterday actually)

How does the plaza inn dining package viewing compares to regular viewing? (I know that all the info and suggestions are just best guesses based on other parades/last years Christmas parades...)

Is it significantly less crowded than watching from regular viewing spots? (My dad doesn’t like crowds so I am looking for options for him...)

How about the arriving time... I don’t have to sit curbside but I am not tall so I can’t stand to far back... and don’t wanna stand and wait to long... I guess for second row curbside standing in a regular spot I would have to arrive pretty early? (More than30 min?)
I guess for a similar spot in the reserved area I could arrive later?

The day I am considering for the parade would probably be Nov 30th (the Saturday after thanksgiving)

And another not so unimportant question... how is the food?

I don’t wanna „waste“ money for parade viewing... I never even considered it but I am afraid I won’t be able to get an ok spot...
So is viewing the parade really that hard?

I Am not sure about this offering We did the Holiday Tour a few years ago and at the end you get to watch the Christmas parade in a reserved seating area. They served us hot chocolate in a keepsake mug. It was just great, highly recommend.

I have been thinking about the parade package as well...(the thought occurred yesterday actually)

How does the plaza inn dining package viewing compares to regular viewing? (I know that all the info and suggestions are just best guesses based on other parades/last years Christmas parades...)

Is it significantly less crowded than watching from regular viewing spots? (My dad doesn’t like crowds so I am looking for options for him...)

How about the arriving time... I don’t have to sit curbside but I am not tall so I can’t stand to far back... and don’t wanna stand and wait to long... I guess for second row curbside standing in a regular spot I would have to arrive pretty early? (More than30 min?)
I guess for a similar spot in the reserved area I could arrive later?

The day I am considering for the parade would probably be Nov 30th (the Saturday after thanksgiving)

And another not so unimportant question... how is the food?

I don’t wanna „waste“ money for parade viewing... I never even considered it but I am afraid I won’t be able to get an ok spot...
So is viewing the parade really that hard?

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words lol definitely interested to hear peoples thoughts!!

Thanks for putting my thoughts into words lol definitely interested to hear peoples thoughts!!
I just skimmed through last years holiday thread and found some reports from last year‘s parade package... and just linked some of them... ( and now I am totally excited and in holiday mood... is it to early to listen to Christmas songs?:rolleyes1)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...time-at-dlr-superthread.3686044/post-59947437

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...time-at-dlr-superthread.3686044/post-59961773

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...time-at-dlr-superthread.3686044/post-59973397

also found a link to a blog from someone reviewing the package... https://disneyparkstravel.com/2018/11/14/christmas-fantasy-dining-package/

I just booked a plaza inn parade package for dec 4th...! :cool1:
I decided to postpone my Walk in Walt’s footsteps toor in favor of that package... now the total $$$ is about the same but all 3 of us get value and food out of it and not just me (and it’s better/more food)... that’s my way of saving money!
(But I might cancel it 1-2 days before if we are by chance getting a decent parade view on Friday/Saturday...)

I just skimmed through last years holiday thread and found some reports from last year‘s parade package... and just linked some of them... ( and now I am totally excited and in holiday mood... is it to early to listen to Christmas songs?:rolleyes1)

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...time-at-dlr-superthread.3686044/post-59947437

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...time-at-dlr-superthread.3686044/post-59961773

https://www.disboards.com/threads/o...time-at-dlr-superthread.3686044/post-59973397

also found a link to a blog from someone reviewing the package... https://disneyparkstravel.com/2018/11/14/christmas-fantasy-dining-package/

I just booked a plaza inn parade package for dec 4th...! :cool1:
I decided to postpone my Walk in Walt’s footsteps toor in favor of that package... now the total $$$ is about the same but all 3 of us get value and food out of it and not just me (and it’s better/more food)... that’s my way of saving money!
(But I might cancel it 1-2 days before if we are by chance getting a decent parade view on Friday/Saturday...)

THANK YOU!

For those who have watched the second parade without the parade viewing package, where would you suggest grabbing a spot? How early should we claim a spot?? Not entirely sold on the parade package after reading reviews!

They should do a parade desert party like WOC. Since they don’t, I think I’ll stick with the Plaza package. I’m not waiting 2 hours for anything.

They should do a parade desert party like WOC. Since they don’t, I think I’ll stick with the Plaza package. I’m not waiting 2 hours for anything.

Is that normally how long you would have to wait for a decent parade viewing spot? We're two tallish adults and wouldn't mind standing so I'm wondering if we'd be okay finding a spot 30 minutes before wherever rather than doing the package

Hi y'all! Just started an account so I could ask a few questions here. We've booked to come out to Disneyland November 15th-19th staying at Paradise Pier - we're Orlando locals so very used to WDW but we've never spent Christmas at Disneyland and I'm super excited! The trip will just be myself and my two little boys who are 6 and 3 - we've been waiting to come to Disneyland until the littlest was 40 inches so he could go on the bigger rides and he's JUST about there without shoes, so I'm hoping we'll be good!

We've booked the Plaza Inn parade package for Saturday 16th because waiting for hours for a parade with a 6 year old and a recently potty trained 3 year old is not an option, but reading the reviews above I'm second guessing this. Is anyone going before the 15th that might be able to post their own review? I'd love to know more, especially the food options (the 6 year old is a bit of a picky eater) and how early you need to be there even with the reserved seating.

At WDW the castle lighting has a little show and the time changes throughout the holiday season - is there a castle lighting show at Disneyland, and is it around the same time each night?

What are the best options to see Fantasmic? We love the Hollywood Studios version and we're excited to see the Disneyland version but with two little ones, I'm thinking we'll need to be there early so they can see. Are the dining options worth it?

Anything else I should know about the holidays at Disneyland? We know WDW so well that I'm completely thrown off by doing a Disney vacation I'm not totally familiar with!

Aloha Kate_HDWT
You will love Disneyland for the Holiday Season. If your budget allows do the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dinning package. Blue Bayou is an iconic Disneyland restaurant. We love DW there are a few things that are better at DL and Fantasmic is one of them.
I cannot comment on the Plaza Inn Christmas parade package.
You will love Carsland at California Adventure, similar to Test Trek at Epcot, the theming of Carsland is incredible.
Small world at the Holidays is beautiful definitely do at night.
Have a fantastic time with your boys.

With kids that age I’d probably do the Hungry Bear package jnsgead-they won’t have to dit and behave through a fairly fancy (and very expensive meal) and then through the show itself.

I find all of the Plaza Inn parade package to be a terrible value from everything I’ve seen and heard about them.

Here’s my top parade viewing tip/secret: For any parade starting at Main Street (usually the 2nd parade when there are two), hang out in front of the Fire House about 30 minutes before the parade starts and wait for them to put the rope up there. If people start putting stuff down before the rope goes up, just nab a spot and shift if needed to accommodate the rope.

This is also a good spot to nab a last-second standing room spot - the back of this section is rarely full.

You did not hear this tip from me.

C0B8C0E3-3AEA-48F5-BA4C-480374FDE631.jpeg

or any parade starting at Main Street (usually the 2nd parade when there are two), hang out in front of the Fire House about 30 minutes before the parade starts and wait for them to put the rope up there. If people start putting stuff down before the rope goes up, just nab a spot and shift if needed to accommodate the rope.

Shhhh!! That's my secret viewing spot, too!

Hi y'all! Just started an account so I could ask a few questions here. We've booked to come out to Disneyland November 15th-19th staying at Paradise Pier - we're Orlando locals so very used to WDW but we've never spent Christmas at Disneyland and I'm super excited! The trip will just be myself and my two little boys who are 6 and 3 - we've been waiting to come to Disneyland until the littlest was 40 inches so he could go on the bigger rides and he's JUST about there without shoes, so I'm hoping we'll be good!

We've booked the Plaza Inn parade package for Saturday 16th because waiting for hours for a parade with a 6 year old and a recently potty trained 3 year old is not an option, but reading the reviews above I'm second guessing this. Is anyone going before the 15th that might be able to post their own review? I'd love to know more, especially the food options (the 6 year old is a bit of a picky eater) and how early you need to be there even with the reserved seating.

At WDW the castle lighting has a little show and the time changes throughout the holiday season - is there a castle lighting show at Disneyland, and is it around the same time each night?

What are the best options to see Fantasmic? We love the Hollywood Studios version and we're excited to see the Disneyland version but with two little ones, I'm thinking we'll need to be there early so they can see. Are the dining options worth it?

Anything else I should know about the holidays at Disneyland? We know WDW so well that I'm completely thrown off by doing a Disney vacation I'm not totally familiar with!
Welcome to the DIS! You're going to love DLR at Holiday Time! So, to answer some of your questions:
Tip for measuring your youngest son on rides: Start teaching him now to stand up to the measuring stick. Some kids shy away from the stick (which can look different at different rides, so teach him that it's okay if the stick is a different one each time). Some kids try to stick their chin up, which lowers the top of their head -- not a great trick when trying to make the height limit! Some kids try to jump up to "bump" the stick -- again, not a great trick. Teach him to stand straight, heels flat on the ground (!), looking straight ahead, chin straight up (but not pointing up), and to let the stick touch the top of his head. No slouching, no bumping, no jumping, no squirming. He'll be a total pro by the time of your trip!
Agree with the pp about the Plaza inn parade packages -- not really worth the money. We love the Plaza Inn for the fried chicken meals, but not for the dining packages. Viewing from the firehouse or from the IASW mall area (try the raised terrace area opposite the ride building) works fine. There are restrooms nearby both of those locations.
There is a castle lighting at DL -- it is listed in the entertainment guide.
Take the money you saved from not doing the Plaza Inn package and use it (!) for a F! dining package (which is totally worth doing). The F! dining packages have the best viewing with the least wait time -- centered, right up by the water. The most economical package is at Hungry Bear. You can order off the dining package or the regular menu (you'll still pay the package price no matter what you order). If you do the first F! show, you'll be invited to stay in your viewing area for the fireoworks right afterward (if there are fireworks that night). F! originated at DL -- you're going to love this show!
If you can do the WOC Dessert Party, the holiday version of that show (Seasons of Light) is lovely and unique to DCA!
If you haven't already seen this thread, read it for great information: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

Last edited:
I posted this in the Nov c/i thread but figured it might get more responses here -

How are the parks on holiday parade filming day? Last couple of years it has been around the 15th. Has anyone been on property for this? We are not interested in the filming, but we will be there that week. The 15th is a Friday so I am thinking they might film on the 14th - but on the 14th there is a DVC event at DCA starting at 9PM but guests can show up as early as 6PM.

How long does filming last? Does it go into the night? Is DCA crazy busy with all the people that do not want to watch the taping?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter