• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2018 Princess Half Marathon

So after a gorgeous weekend, with 45+ degree weather, we're at 18 today, with three inches of snow :eek:.....so it was back to the indoor track for my run. But my kids are excited as they're going skiing on Friday :)

Same, there's just too much ice on the ground here still to run outside- even with the more recent warmer weather. Things just aren't melting.

On a side note, anyone have any tips for how not to injure your pivot leg when running in circles on a track? My IT band has felt it. I'm thinking I'll maybe slow down and walk on each of the turns?

On a side note, anyone have any tips for how not to injure your pivot leg when running in circles on a track? My IT band has felt it. I'm thinking I'll maybe slow down and walk on each of the turns?

When I'm on the outside track, I switch directions every couple of miles, but that doesn't work inside (each day our indoor track tells you which way to run, and it's one way only). I try to edge myself towards the inside of the track as I come into the turn, and end the turn on the outside edge (does that make sense??) so it makes the turn less sharp. But I know what you mean - I feel it in my legs if I do anything over 3 miles. I have a couple of good stretches for the IT band - had some real issues with it a few years ago - try this website http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/iliotibial-band-stretches.html

Wish I knew. I think that’s behind my ankle problems being exacerbated a couple years ago. The indoor track is one direction on even days and the other on odd. Problem when you run every other day!!! And it’s a small track, with each lap being 1/12 mike, so that’s a LOT of turns.

Ugggghh, this is so me, too! I started training November 28th, but with Christmas followed by two major storm systems, and then I pulled my back last week, I am seriously slacking. My longest run thus far has been 7 miles. While I'm confident in being able to do the 5K/10K/Half, I don't want to be this undertrained going in to race day. Here's hoping that I'm able to get back on track by this coming weekend, otherwise I'm going to really start feeling behind.

I hope you do too! I'm on track now with the mileage, but I'm still slow. The speed is just not going to get any better, it seems. I wish the dang corral assignments would come out already, so I can know how much of a cushion I have.

The speed is just not going to get any better, it seems. I wish the dang corral assignments would come out already, so I can know how much of a cushion I have.

I have improved my time a little with the cooler weather here in FL, but I still would feel better if I knew exactly where I'll be starting.

It's great to hear about everyone's success'! I was supposed to 12.5 on Saturday and did 13.2! I'll probably do one more long run 2 weeks prior to the race. I really want to do it in 2hrs 30 minutes and I was so close, 2hrs 32 minutes. I'm making mental lists of what I might want and a budget to keep to for the expo. Hopefully, I'll keep to it!

Training runs are on hold...after 10 years of running, I am experiencing my first injury.

Went for injury eval at the local running store today. The PT suspects stress fracture or ITB issue. He made a referral and I have an appointment with the area’s most respected sports med doctor on Monday.

Hoping its the lesser of the two evils and I’ll still be able to complete the GSC.

Temps back up to near 60 today. Going on a 6 mile run. Missed my run Tuesday as it was cold and the TM decided to break. I did do an hour of aeorbic exercise. Good news is that the TM is still under warranty, parts are coming free!
We are almost there...keep it going!

Hoping its the lesser of the two evils and I’ll still be able to complete the GSC.

Hope it's not a stress fracture!

I haven't been doing very well with training but did get a 9 and a 10 mile run in the last couple weekends. Ideally would like 10, 12, 8 the next 3 weekends but given we are back to below zero temps I'm not sure that will happen. Oh well, pretty sure I can finish a half marathon at this point.

Ugh, I think I have bronchitis (self-diagnosed on the internet, lol). Whatever it is, it's definitely slowing me down. Not sure what to do at this point. Stop running and rest, push through...

Training runs are on hold...after 10 years of running, I am experiencing my first injury.

Went for injury eval at the local running store today. The PT suspects stress fracture or ITB issue. He made a referral and I have an appointment with the area’s most respected sports med doctor on Monday.

Sending good thoughts your way!

Ugh, I think I have bronchitis (self-diagnosed on the internet, lol). Whatever it is, it's definitely slowing me down. Not sure what to do at this point. Stop running and rest, push through...
Speaking as someone who's had bronchitis multiple times, twice resulting in pneumonia, I strongly advise against pushing through! I also strongly advise getting it checked by a doctor, as bronchitis can be either viral or bacterial, and it could also be something else entirely. If you're not running a fever, and you feel energetic, try activities that don't tax your breathing: walking, yoga, strength training - anything that doesn't make you cough. But if you're running a fever, and/or feeling exhausted and run-down, your body needs REST. Hope you feel better soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter