• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2018 Princess Half Marathon

I was thinking about staying at Pop or POFQ again, but if it's just me and DH, I may be springing for my first deluxe!!

I like Boardwalk and Animal Kingdom. Yes Animal Kingdom is a little further away but they are organized and the race transportation is right in front of the lobbies.

We did it for princess this year and loved it!! Bus was fast and easy. They dropped off at Jambo first after the race.

Thank you! That puts my mind at ease. We had to walk quite a distance at BLT and GFV because the buses pick up in front of the convention center.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure we'll be staying at AoA. No prior experience there with races, but we've stayed there before on regular trips and loved it. Plus with 3 kids we really need the space of a suite!

I'm pretty sure we'll be staying at AoA. No prior experience there with races, but we've stayed there before on regular trips and loved it. Plus with 3 kids we really need the space of a suite!
never stayed at AOA but they share buses with POP. I've had no issue at POP that were race related.

We stayed at AOA two weeks ago for the star wars darkside races. It went perfectly. Race bus picked up in the same area of the hotel where the park busses pick up.

Not everyone gets a rental car, and it's weirdly early to get a decent price on one, but I just got a good price through Alamo renting at the Car Care Center. If you're a car person and the CCC would work for you over Princess weekend, you might want to check it out.

Joining in! This will be my first runDisney event and my first half! I am both excited and terrified, but definitely more excited because it's another excuse to go to Disney. Just curious, do runners typically go to the parks after? Even though the event is early in the morning, I just see myself being too tired or sore to do that.

Joining in! This will be my first runDisney event and my first half! I am both excited and terrified, but definitely more excited because it's another excuse to go to Disney. Just curious, do runners typically go to the parks after? Even though the event is early in the morning, I just see myself being too tired or sore to do that.

Hi xJenna! You'll have a blast. We always spend some time in the parks afterwards to walk the kinks out...and because we're park junkies. :D

Many people just nap, swim and stroll around their resort though.

Hi xJenna! You'll have a blast. We always spend some time in the parks afterwards to walk the kinks out...and because we're park junkies. :D

Many people just nap, swim and stroll around their resort though.

I'm in the second category. At most, I'll go into a park to eat or something, but it's very low key and not for long.

Just curious, do runners typically go to the parks after? Even though the event is early in the morning, I just see myself being too tired or sore to do that.

Going to the parks after (after going back to the room, taking a shower or a bath, putting arnica on all the muscles, and slowly getting dressed) is a great way to work out the pain and soreness.

For Princess, though, my cousin and I don't tend to buy tickets, so we haven't done that. We walk around the resorts, get food, go to the hot tub, etc.

Signed up for this forum just for the sake of joining this thread, haha!

I'm all signed up for the FTC for next year but I'm a little bummed because my sister can't join me like she did in 2017. Anyone else flying solo in 2018?

Going to the parks after (after going back to the room, taking a shower or a bath, putting arnica on all the muscles, and slowly getting dressed) is a great way to work out the pain and soreness.

Yes, this (though I don't know what arnica is - I must find out!). We went back to room - showered, ate our snack boxes :), and rested for about 30 minutes. Then we went to Epcot, had a lunch ressie for Akershus so we could get photos with the princesses :love:. We ended up staying the rest of the day in Epcot - it was amazing how long that "runner's high" lasted for us that day :thumbsup2

Oh, and if you do go to the parks, wear your medal. It was so awesome being called Princess by all the cast members!!

Signed up for this forum just for the sake of joining this thread, haha!

I'm all signed up for the FTC for next year but I'm a little bummed because my sister can't join me like she did in 2017. Anyone else flying solo in 2018?

My DH and kids will be on the trip with me, but I'm the only one running. Wish I had a runner friend...

I'm running solo here too! 10k for me. Looking forward to "meeting" everybody thru this thread over the next few months. Anybody here doing the Galloway run/walk program? I just upped my run time and my knees are sooooo sore!

though I don't know what arnica is - I must find out!).

Plant product that helps with pain and inflammation. Find it your local health food store or natural products section of a mainstream grocery store. Boiron is the main brand you'll see.

Anybody here doing the Galloway run/walk program? I just upped my run time and my knees are sooooo sore!

I do intervals but over time I've shortened my run intervals. After talking with the Galloways at Light Side I went from 1 minute intervals to 30 second intervals. Stayed the same overall time but didn't feel like death at the end. Given my constant state of undertaking due to being overinjured, not feeling like death is important. Galloway said that he actually does 15 second intervals!

I just re-read through the entire thread because I remembered that the issue of where to stay has been brought up a couple times, but I'm still going back and forth on a few.

We've been to Disneyland too many times to count (California natives) and Disneyworld a handful of times. We've stayed at Yacht Club (club), Grand Floridian (club), Animal Kingdom Jamba, All Star Sport (just me for recent Dark Side), and we have a stay at Kidani coming up in July. For the Princess in Feb, I'll be doing the half, but my husband and special needs son will be doing the 5k. We will not have a car.

My goals are:
1. Easy, quick transportation on race days
2. Minimal walking for DS pre and post race
3. Direct buses (or other direct transportation).
4. Resort convenient to parks, preferably walkable to something
5. Deluxe accommodation, preferably 1-bedroom suite or 1 bdrm villa (again because of DS who sleeps better in his own space).

I've been focusing on a BLT 1-bdr villa, a suite at the contemporary or Poly because we've never stayed at any of these resorts, and I thought the ease to MK would be great for DS. But after reading through some of the earlier comments in the thread, I'm concerned about race day transportation. It sounds like the monorail doesn't run for DS and DH's 5K? I guess I was trying to figure out how much walking around and bus stops will be involved without the monorail for these resorts with the 5k. My biggest pleasant surprise about All Star Sport was the race day transportation. We walked down from our room, hopped on the bus, and were dropped off very close to the corrals. Super limited walking and no other bus stops pre or post race. But with the family in toe, I'm looking for a little more deluxe and convenient to the parks.

I have also thought about Beach Club or Boardwalk.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and expert opinions :)

Hi :wave2:

I'm new here, although, I have been lurking! I ran all three races at PHM this year and it was my first ever runDisney event. I've signed up to do all three again in 2018.

I had a corral nightmare but managed to change my corral at race relations. I went from the last corral to corral a! I would like to start in corral a again. Can anyone advise me on what kind of time I need to submit to be placed in a?

TIA xx

I have stayed at BLT and GFV for DS in 2016 and 2017 respectively. The buses pick up at the convention centers of both resorts which are the total opposite location from the villas. I would not suggest it with your special needs son if you are looking for something close to race transportation.

I just re-read through the entire thread because I remembered that the issue of where to stay has been brought up a couple times, but I'm still going back and forth on a few.

We've been to Disneyland too many times to count (California natives) and Disneyworld a handful of times. We've stayed at Yacht Club (club), Grand Floridian (club), Animal Kingdom Jamba, All Star Sport (just me for recent Dark Side), and we have a stay at Kidani coming up in July. For the Princess in Feb, I'll be doing the half, but my husband and special needs son will be doing the 5k. We will not have a car.

My goals are:
1. Easy, quick transportation on race days
2. Minimal walking for DS pre and post race
3. Direct buses (or other direct transportation).
4. Resort convenient to parks, preferably walkable to something
5. Deluxe accommodation, preferably 1-bedroom suite or 1 bdrm villa (again because of DS who sleeps better in his own space).

I've been focusing on a BLT 1-bdr villa, a suite at the contemporary or Poly because we've never stayed at any of these resorts, and I thought the ease to MK would be great for DS. But after reading through some of the earlier comments in the thread, I'm concerned about race day transportation. It sounds like the monorail doesn't run for DS and DH's 5K? I guess I was trying to figure out how much walking around and bus stops will be involved without the monorail for these resorts with the 5k. My biggest pleasant surprise about All Star Sport was the race day transportation. We walked down from our room, hopped on the bus, and were dropped off very close to the corrals. Super limited walking and no other bus stops pre or post race. But with the family in toe, I'm looking for a little more deluxe and convenient to the parks.

I have also thought about Beach Club or Boardwalk.

Well Boardwalk will have me there and I'm awesome. The bus is in front of the convention center there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter