2018 Dining Plans changing to include alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Immediately started hunting to see if I could find anything, but no dice yet. I'm totally on board, though! :)

I saw the same and came here here to validate it. Anxious to hear more.

Once 2018 packages are available in the US to book, we should know

will be a game changer for sure

I see it inflating the price, which is off-putting for any Disney 'adult' not 21 or who does not imbibe
(my opinion based on nothing but hot air)

There was a big discussion about this one of my facebook Disney boards. And of course had comments ranging from "woohoo" to "great more drunks". I think if they do it, likely the price will go up. It goes up every year, so as long as it doesn't go up more than it typically has, then I don't think much will change. If it IS a much higher cost I think they will have a plan for an "alcohol plan" and "nonalcohol plan". Though some did point out - a lot of times milkshakes and specialty drinks are included as drinks, and those aren't much different in price than a beer would be. We'll just have to wait and see.

I've only seen this one place, but one uk site is claiming the 2018 DDP is changing to include an alcoholic beverage (I assume for TS) as well. I can find no corroborating information, so I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Here is the site my wife found it on: https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1027995

And just how could they do that with guests 10 and up required to buy the adult plan? They can't sell alcohol to a minor, so the upgraded cost to cover the alcohol would make the plan too expensive for anyone with kids considered Disney adults.

I would think if they did this, it would have to be an option, not requirement. Like you can get the DDP+booze for an extra $15-$20 a day, but there is also a regular DDP for all those 10-20 year olds that have to get the adult plan, but can't drink.

A more detailed article about this topic popped up on my FB newsfeed yesterday: http://www.inquisitr.com/4278810/po...alcoholic-beverages-included-on-meal-credits/

IF it's true, and I'm not sure it is, then those not getting an alcoholic beverage (due to age or desire) can get "artisanal milkshakes," "fresh smoothies," "premium hot chocolates," or the regular current non-alcoholic beverages that are currently offered. One red flag for me was when the article mentioned, "Those exact options open up a wide range of choices as milkshakes weren’t previously included either." Since milkshakes have been offered as a beverage option on the DDP, I don't know if this statement is an error due to DDP ignorance or a sign of misinformation overall.

ETA: DH is a home-brewer and enjoys 1 beer with dinner. He might like this, but also didn't mind paying the $7-$10/beer previously. For me, it's a non-issue, unless the price is significantly increased.

Last edited:
I honestly believe that this will be an option that can be added on to the existing plans. So you could buy the Deluxe Dining Plan and add on the Alcohol Option. That's just my opinion personally. I have nothing that can back that.

IF it's true, and I'm not sure it is, then those not getting an alcoholic beverage (due to age or desire) can get "artisanal milkshakes," "fresh smoothies," "premium hot chocolates," or the regular current non-alcoholic beverages that are currently offered. One red flag for me was when the article mentioned, "Those exact options open up a wide range of choices as milkshakes weren’t previously included either." Since milkshakes have been offered as a beverage option on the DDP, I don't know if this statement is an error due to DDP ignorance or a sign of misinformation overall.

OR if it is an add-on, all these specialty non-alcoholic drinks go away for those who don't do the add-on and all they can get is regular soda, tea, or coffee.

To me it's a non-issue either way. A few dollars more for the plan each night I would've probably spent on alcohol anyway.

I sure hope this is wrong or, at least, there are two options-- alcohol and no alcohol. Can't imagine including alcohol would raise the price a few dollars a day. On the deluxe plan with three table service meals possible and 3 alcoholic drinks I would think the price would be raised significantly. That would impact all the under 21s and non drinkers in a negative way!

Assuming this is true...
At this point they have a ton of data on the DDP and how many people order drinks with the meal currently.
Adding a drink to the DDP probably wont increase that number dramatically.
The non drinkers will now have the option off the specialty non alcoholic drinks they dont have now. I suspect that will increase more than the alcoholic drinks
It may be house wine\limited choice of draft beer - so you cant order a $20 glass of wine or a $15 bottle of beer - they have a nice markup on draft beer and bulk wine

As for the deluxe plan - you have to order the drink with the meal - so dont see it being a significant factor - kids ordering a specialty drink with each meal will be as much a factor as beer\wine etc... (so kids can drink three milkshakes a day , but can't get a decent hamburger or hot dog bun..nice)

In addition if you get people to have one drink - I'm sure they know that will be easier to have people get another - and they are banking on that IMO.

Disney has this all worked out and I can't imagine they would increase the DDP significantly or have additional alcohol\non alcohol plans - it gets too confusing

Assuming this is true...
At this point they have a ton of data on the DDP and how many people order drinks with the meal currently.
Adding a drink to the DDP probably wont increase that number dramatically.
The non drinkers will now have the option off the specialty non alcoholic drinks they dont have now. I suspect that will increase more than the alcoholic drinks
It may be house wine\limited choice of draft beer - so you cant order a $20 glass of wine or a $15 bottle of beer - they have a nice markup on draft beer and bulk wine

As for the deluxe plan - you have to order the drink with the meal - so dont see it being a significant factor - kids ordering a specialty drink with each meal will be as much a factor as beer\wine etc... (so kids can drink three milkshakes a day , but can't get a decent hamburger or hot dog bun..nice)

In addition if you get people to have one drink - I'm sure they know that will be easier to have people get another - and they are banking on that IMO.

Disney has this all worked out and I can't imagine they would increase the DDP significantly or have additional alcohol\non alcohol plans - it gets too confusing

I agree overall - I don't think it will make a huge difference. It has been my experience though, that many of the times people can already order that specialty (non alcoholic) drink with their meal. I typically drink water or unsweetened tea but for all the TS I went to when I was on the plan they offered the specialty drinks and/or milkshakes as a drink option. I was on the standard plan. I know at BOG I took them up on it, and got some specialty fruity drink just without the special glass that I didn't want anyway.

I would think if they did this, it would have to be an option, not requirement. Like you can get the DDP+booze for an extra $15-$20 a day, but there is also a regular DDP for all those 10-20 year olds that have to get the adult plan, but can't drink.

They used to have the wine package that was $39.99/night per room (not per person) for the dining plan. It would get you 1 bottle of wine per room per day.

It was last offered in 2011. So they already have the structure/past history of working with alcoholic beverages on the dining plan.

I, personally, would be all for this.

Stacy

IF this does happen, I do foresee one possible bad change for some people. The DxDDP credits will most certainly become separated as child/adult. Many, many people are currently using child credits to get adult meals with the DxDDP. That already makes for a very cheap meal, but throwing alcohol into the mix should cause many of these restaurants to say, "no way, no how."

Also saw it on a FB posting. It was a letter from Walt Disney Company notifying a guest booked for a 2018 trip of this change to the dining plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter