2017 WDW Marathon - a 5150 idea??

I knew I would be terrible at keeping up with a training log! Oh well, I will try to catch up. After not getting in my Tuesday run, I made sure to do my Wednesday and Thursday 3 miles each day on the TM. I ran at our Wellness Center at work after I got off on Wednesday and it was great! Everyone was gone for the day so I had the place to myself. And those commercial treadmills are so much nicer than mine at home (although I do have a fairly good one)! The belt is wider so I could relax more and not worry about stepping on the edges while I ran. But as predicted, driving home was awful! The heat index was like 110 and I don't have air in my little truck. Most days I am fine with it (it's paid for, great gas mileage, etc.)but I was hating it that day! So much so that I did my Thursday run at home. I listened to the Rockie/Dodger game on my MLB app on my phone. Gotta root against the Dodgers whenever I can!

Saturday I made DH get up at 5:00 am so we could get out before it got too hot. We got out to the state park a little before 6:00 so not too bad. He has to have his coffee and "wake up" before he will do anything in the mornings. I didn't check the weather before I started so I wouldn't psych myself out but it was so humid! I was trying to really slow myself down but still ended up with my first few miles around 13:00. I was aiming for more like 15:00. I have a hard time figuring out my pace. I need a watch that yells at me when I go over my pace! Anyway, it was awful, like swimming on land! I was ready to quit after 4 miles but remembered that I had put the cooling towel that they gave us at W&D in my backpack in the truck so we made a pit stop and I wet it and put it around my neck and it was glorious! My route was an out and back both directions from my truck (running on a peninsula, parked in the middle of it) and I hit mile 6.75 when I got back to my truck so I took the cooling towel and wrapped around a bottle of frozen Gatorade I had in my ice chest then ran the last .25 by doing a small out and back. When I got back I took it out and it was even more glorious, lol! I am going to remember that trick for all this hot outdoor running! I checked the weather then and it was 81 feels like 88 with a dew point of 79! No wonder I felt like I was dying! My last 3 miles were in the 14:00-15:00 mm range. All in all I would say it was a decent run. I chose this area to run as it is 80% shady and I do the 20% that is not in shade before the sun comes up so I don't really have to run in direct sunlight at all.

map2.JPG

I so hear you on the "swimming on land" thing. I just wish this humidity would break already. Still nice job on getting your run done and good thinking on the cooling down tricks!

I ran my 3 TM miles as soon as I got home on Tuesday. Usually my mom (who lives with us) has dinner on the table when I walk in, so I have to eat then wait for my food to digest so I can run. Tuesday morning I warned her that I was running first so not to make anything. :) Good run, or as good as a TM run can be! I have started listening to some Disney podcasts and they make the time go faster. I think Tuesday it was WDW Prep about adding a cruise to your WDW trip.

Wednesday I had to go to Little Rock for a training class. It was an all day class so I had to get up early to get there, then drive back in commute traffic, turn in my state car, then drive home. By then I was beat and I pretty much just vegged in my recliner all evening and went to bed early.

Last night I was good and ran my 3 TM miles. I am still using the :90/:30 intervals and they are working fine. I have figured out where on my TM's slide speed setting to put it for the speeds I want, so I don't have to click thru the display to see what speed I am running. My TM is wonky! But it works and I got it cheap, so I deal with it, lol. It is actually an older model of an expensive TM so it is pretty nice. The speed setting is just weird. There is a slide lever you move to set your speed but it doesn't have any markers, just some lettering above the slide. So to see what speed you are running you have to push the display button 4/5 times to cycle it to display speed. I usually leave the display on time now that I have figured out where on the slide to leave it for my desired interval speeds.

Not sure where I will be running my 4 mile run tomorrow. It is supposed to thunderstorm here for the next 5-6 days and I am strongly against running in lightning! I guess I will wait and see what the weather brings in the morning! :)

Wow, I am behind! I have had a hectic couple of weeks and haven't run a step since the 18th! I ended up doing the 4 mile run on my treadmill due to the weather. I also did my weekday training runs on the treadmill on the 16th, 17th and 18th. On the 18th my sister let us know that my grandma had passed away. She had been living in an assisted living home near my sister in Tennessee. So we drove 7 1/2 hours to Tennessee on Friday the 19th, attended my grandma's memorial service on the 20th, then drove home 7 1/2 hours on the 21st. I did NOT get my 9 mile training run in during the weekend. There just was no time. And, since I stayed in a house full of sick kids, of course I got sick on Tuesday after we got home. I swear those kids gave me the plague! I was so sick all last week! DH got it too. We are just starting to feel better today. Needless to say, I didn't get any runs in last week or this past weekend either. I feel so far behind!

Here is my plan to catch up:
Tonight, 8/29 - I will get in my 4 mile weekend run that I missed this weekend.
Tomorrow and Thursday - 30 min / or 3 mile training runs
Saturday - It is supposed to be an 11 mile training run. Since my last long run was 7 miles, I plan on run/walking the first 9 miles, then walking the final 2.
That should bring me back to where I am supposed to be!

AND... Tomorrow morning at 8:30 CST is my long awaited job interview! So if y'all could pray and think happy thoughts for me around that time it would be much appreciated! :)

I'm sorry for the loss of your grandma. :hug:

Sounds like you have a good plan for getting back on your training schedule and wishing you lots of luck for that job interview!

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandmother! You and your family are in my thoughts. :hug:

I hope you are feeling better after being sick - after all that driving I'm sure you were exhausted enough, but being sick on top of it?! Yikes!

Good luck with your interview! Crossing my fingers and toes for you. :)

Jumped on board to see how you are doing! I am so with you on the humidity. I had a pretty nasty summer cold or allergies, or something about a month ago that just hung on.. Was so congested and everything, I just didnt do anything training wise.. If I just convinced myself or it's true, I thought that if you had some congestion / respiratory issues you werent supposed to so really intense exercise. If that was wrong, oops.. I've been struggling with getting my training in, but had a 1/2 last weekend, and found out just how far behind I am on training. So I see others having the same issues, but got back into it, and that gives me hope :D

I'm going to pause in all my training talk to talk about my upcoming trip to WDW! We leave 2 weeks from tomorrow. Our crew will be, me, DH, DD26, DS, DSD36 and DSD38. None of the kids are married or have SO's so it's just the 6 of us. My DD26 lives in Colorado, DS lives in Cali, and both DSD's live in NC. We don't get to see any of them very often so once a year we all get together for vacation. DH and I rent a condo and pay for food, etc. and they all just have to get themselves there. This will be our second year going to WDW for our trip. We have rented a 2 bdrm condo at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. Last year we had a 3 bdrm but I waited too long this year and are stuck with the 2 bdrm.

DH and I land at MCO on Saturday Sept. 17th. We are driving to Memphis Friday, spending the night, then flying out Saturday. Tickets were half the price there than they were out of Little Rock, so even with the motel we are saving over $300 by doing it this way. We land at MCO at 8:20pm and DD26 lands at 11:57pm. The 3 of us are spending Saturday night at the Hyatt at the airport. DS lands at 5:30am Sunday morning. He will get his luggage then come crash for a few hours in our room. DD26 and Iare going to try to get a run in somewhere, either in the hotel gym or supposedly they have a running/walking track. Then go back and get ready. We pick up our rental minivan at 11:00am.

The plan is for the 4 of us to pick up the van, drive to a grocery store and get the shopping done for the week, drop groceries and bags at Bonnet Creek (hopefully they will have a condo ready), then go back to MCO and pick up the step-daughters. Their flight lands at 4:25pm. If all that goes according to plan, we will head back to the condo and hang out, fix dinner or order pizza. Maybe go hang out at Disney Springs, depending on how tired everyone is.

My DS and one of my DSD's are both in the military. DS is Navy reserve and DSD is a Jag in the Army. So we were able to get 6, 4 day Armed Forces Salute hopper tickets for $199 each. DH and I bought the tickets for everyone. Our planned park days are Monday (HS and Epcot), Tuesday (MK and Epcot), Wednesday (AK and MK) and Friday (MK and Epcot). DS has to leave on Thursday evening so we have to cram our park days all together so he can go everywhere too. Thursday and Saturday will be resort days, swimming, etc. or going to Disney Springs. Saturday DD26 and I have to get in a 13 mile training run so we plan to head over to the boardwalk area for that. Bonnet Creek has awesome pools and lazy rivers so most likely we will kick back and relax for our last day.

The DSD's fly out on Sunday morning at 10:20am then DD26 flies out at 8:00pm. Not sure what we will do to kill those hours in between. Maybe shopping at the outlets? Idk. We turn in the minivan at 5:00pm. DH and I are spending the night at Holiday Inn Express by the airport, then taking their shuttle to the airport for our 6:20am flight out on Monday morning. We land at 11:15am in Memphis, pick up our car from the shuttle lot, then drive 3 hours home.

Just writing about it makes me tired already, lol! It will be so nice to see all the kids! We have one ADR, Whispering Canyon Café for breakfast on Monday am. Otherwise, we are doing counter service in the parks during the day for lunch, then eating dinner in the condo. We were hoping to get in some more table service meals but our vet bill was huge, trying to save my pup Hunter's life and that ate into our savings. I don't regret it one bit and I would spend it again. Miss that little guy so much!:(

Now, to get through the next 2 weeks!

My interview went well, I think. They had 7 interviews scheduled but only 2 of us showed up. So my odds went up considerably! We are supposed to hear sometime next week. :)

Last edited:
Sounds like a fun trip! We stayed at French Quarter last week, which I think is sort of close-ish to your condo, and the drive to the outlets was easy. Actually finding a parking spot once we got there was the tough part!

Yep, I am a miserable failure at keeping up with a training log! Life gets busy and then I get further behind and it just seems like so much work to catch up, lol! My long run back on the 3rd was horrible. It was an 11 mile run. I ran/walked the first 9 then walked the final 2. I was tired, had no energy, and thought I was going to throw up when I was done. I had to lay on a picnic table bench and recover before I could even get in the car. I'm pretty sure it was because of the heat and the fact that I had been sick the previous week with no training runs for over a week.

I did my short training runs on the treadmill this week and they went fine. Boring, but fine. Then yesterday I did a 4 mile run outside and it went great.

I have been messing around with my intervals and just couldn't find one that worked for me. I switched back to my original :30/1:00 run/walk and it felt awesome so that is what I am going to stick with. I am not out to set any speed records, I just want to finish my training runs and my marathon uninjured.

I am super excited for my WDW vacation! We leave on Friday after I get off! It's getting so close! :)

Yay for an upcoming WDW vacation. And, we all have bad runs, the important thing is you got it done. Glad to hear that going back to your original interval seems to be working for you. Have a great time on your trip!

Yay for an upcoming WDW vacation. And, we all have bad runs, the important thing is you got it done. Glad to hear that going back to your original interval seems to be working for you. Have a great time on your trip!

Have fun on your trip!! Glad you're getting your intervals figured out. :)

Thanks ladies! :)

Last night I ran on the treadmill. Exciting, right? But it went well. I will do a run tonight again, then I have to wash all my running stuff so I can hang it up to dry. I need to pack Thursday night as we are leaving when I get off Friday. So obviously I can't run on the treadmill Thursday night, right? :) For my vacation I am basically just packing Sparkle Skirts and running/moisture wicking tops. So I need it all to be clean and dry.

So glad I have this page to vent on so I don't have to dump my negativity on any other page. I am super annoyed about the job I interviewed for. They still haven't made a decision yet. It is down to 2 of us. Since they are "reorganizing" the entire department, they are basically deciding if they want to retrain someone who already knows how to do the job (me!) or train someone brand new who knows absolutely nothing about the job (her), so the job will be done the way they want it done now. I am so frustrated! I have been working for this promotion for 4 years and to have them even considering giving it to someone who knows nothing about the job is very hurtful. When I found that out yesterday I locked my door, turned off my light and had a good cry. :( So glad I have my vacation to look forward to. Hoping for the best but preparing for the worst, I guess. :/

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter