2017 DISNEYLAND RESORT HALLOWEEN TIME / MICKEY'S HALLOWEEN PARTY THREAD!

:( link is dead
The link is live again; I think the Parks Blog website must have had a glitch for a little bit because I couldn't get into the main landing page.

Question- Is the strategy for seeing the Halloween fireworks and parade differ much than other ones? If one wanted a bench seat that isn't used for VIPs, etc.. can kids stand on them? How soon would you have to claim one? Any tips on locations and when to get a spot would greatly be appreciated!!! I think I want to see both parade times during the party. Seeing the fireworks, parade and Dapper Dans are priority for me and then meeting characters followed by trick and treating/going on attractions. Sorry if this has been covered already in this thread. I have been reading this thread all along but don't remember if there was advice on the fireworks and parade.
For the parade, make sure you're on the route at least ten minutes before the parade steps off; the Headless Horseman rides about 10 minutes before the parade starts and he moves down the parade route at a pretty good clip (so while he's 10 minutes ahead of the parade at the start of the route, it's a longer wait between him and parade at the end of the route). He holds his pumpkin in his right hand, so if you want to a good view of that, be sure to be on the right side of the parade route (when facing int he direction the parade is traveling). I like watching the fireworks from the end of Main Street, between the last stop and the Partners Statue. Just make sure you have a good view of the area to the left the main turret on the castle; that's where the orb appears.

If you want to see both parades and fireworks, you'll need to see the Cadaver Dans before the first parade. They only perform hourly (7, 8, 9, 10, and 10:45), so by the time the second parade finishes, they'll also be done.

Some of the strategy depends a lot on whether you're going to a party that starts at 6:00 pm or 7:00 pm. If the party starts at 7:00 pm, I would wait to do trick-or-treating until after the second parade (the last hour or so). If you're going to a 6:00 pm start, you'll need to do the trick-or-treating either early (when the lines are still long) or between the fireworks and second parade (luckily, there are usually a few trails near the parade route, so you won't have to wander to far away).

About how long did you stay in Toon town once things got rolling?
We spent the first hour or so at the pre-party trying to get character photos and doing a little trick-or-treating. The biggest trick we found was to head to the back of Toontown first (e.g., Mickey's House) because the crowds often go for the first thing they see (e.g., the treat trail near Roger Rabbit).

Regarding the Pre-Party in Toontown...does anyone recall what hours they posted for the Toontown attractions last year? I was looking on Disneyland.com for the operating hours for things like Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin and the character houses for the two party days where hours are posted and they generally list 8:30 pm as the closing time. That's consistent with a closure for fireworks (at 9:30 pm), but it doesn't necessarily seem to match the historic closing times for a pre-party.

Does a pre-party mean that an area of the park (e.g. Toontown) will close to day guest use even earlier than the 6 or 7 p.m. party start? Starting to rethink whether I even want to buy a ticket for that day. WDW parties are out of control with the early entry stuff making it a very short day indeed for a regular ticket holder.

Another question about the TT pre-party... some of the comments seem to imply that it's for AP holders only, is this the case or can anyone with a 'general' party ticket attend in the hour before the full party starts?

Another question about the TT pre-party... some of the comments seem to imply that it's for AP holders only, is this the case or can anyone with a 'general' party ticket attend in the hour before the full party starts?
yes anyone can attend the pre party. Yes you can get in the hour before the party starts. The pre party is for everyone that attending MHP.

Does a pre-party mean that an area of the park (e.g. Toontown) will close to day guest use even earlier than the 6 or 7 p.m. party start? Starting to rethink whether I even want to buy a ticket for that day. WDW parties are out of control with the early entry stuff making it a very short day indeed for a regular ticket holder.
Assuming there is a pre-party (which is not guaranteed), Toontown has historically closed two hours before the party starts. Last year, on the Friday night parties, it closed at 5:00 pm and the pre-party started at 6:00 pm (the party started at 7:00 pm). Slide everything by an hour for the weekday parties (4:00 pm closing, 5:00 pm pre-party start and 6:00 pm party start).

The pre-party was for anyone with a MHP ticket (you needed to have already gotten your wristband). In the past, there has been a dedicated AP-only treat trail during regular party hours (either in the Opera House or over by the Big Thunder Trail), but that as separate from the pre-party. Neither of these were announced very far in advance and we may not know anything until reports from the first party come in.

The reason why I brought up the fact that I have an AP is that I wouldn't have to buy a regular ticket to get in earlier than those that just have party tickets. Though there doesn't seem to be much advantage in getting in before 4 (I am going to a Friday party) if Toontown will be closed anyway to everyone. I don't think I'll want to wait more than 2 hours to get into the pre-party if there is one, just to beat the other party goers. I have never been to a special Disney party so know next to nothing about this party though maybe the only advantage day guests might have is that they wouldn't have to wait in line at the turnstiles to get in around 3 or 4 if they are already in DL.

Edit: sorry I don't know how to do the quotes thing so am errasing entry

Last edited:

The reason why I brought up the fact that I have an AP is that I wouldn't have to buy a regular ticket to get in earlier than those that just have party tickets. Though there doesn't seem to be much advantage in getting in before 4 (I am going to a Friday party) if Toontown will be closed anyway to everyone.
I'm a little confused...the rest of the park is still open. Assuming there is a pre-party, Toontown is mostly likely the only area that is impacted by the closure. You can still ride the other attractions in the park, go shopping, eat, etc.

I have never been to a special Disney party so know next to nothing about this party though maybe the only advantage day guests might have is that they wouldn't have to wait in line at the turnstiles to get in around 3 or 4 if they are already in DL.
Historically, there has been a location inside the park (for the last few years, it's been by the entrance to Frontierland) where guests can get their MHP wristbands. It opens at the same time as the turnstiles for the MHP tickets, but at least you don't have to exit the park and then re-enter using your MHP ticket. You will still need to get your MHP wristband before you can go to the pre-party and you will need it once the party starts. So, while you can skip the line at the gates, you'll still need to get into the line at the inside the park distribution location.

Thanks for the tips! Stupid question though - what do you mean by "the last stop"? Would a 11 year old girl be able to see any projections that happen with the fireworks well there?
Oops, sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say "last shop" (e.g., Coke Corner or Photopass).

It depends on how tall the 11-year old is...I know some 11-year old kids that are taller than me (admittedly, I'm on the short side). It really all depends on who stands in front of her; the best you can do is try to see who is nearby and find a gap between people that give you a good view of the castle and fireworks.

I'm a little confused...the rest of the park is still open. Assuming there is a pre-party, Toontown is mostly likely the only area that is impacted by the closure. You can still ride the other attractions in the park, go shopping, eat, etc.

Historically, there has been a location inside the park (for the last few years, it's been by the entrance to Frontierland) where guests can get their MHP wristbands. It opens at the same time as the turnstiles for the MHP tickets, but at least you don't have to exit the park and then re-enter using your MHP ticket. You will still need to get your MHP wristband before you can go to the pre-party and you will need it once the party starts. So, while you can skip the line at the gates, you'll still need to get into the line at the inside the park distribution location.

Oops, sorry, that was a typo. I meant to say "last shop" (e.g., Coke Corner or Photopass).

It depends on how tall the 11-year old is...I know some 11-year old kids that are taller than me (admittedly, I'm on the short side). It really all depends on who stands in front of her; the best you can do is try to see who is nearby and find a gap between people that give you a good view of the castle and fireworks.

You are awesome Figment!! Thanks!

Thanks, if a pre-party is announced closing off a section of the park, we'll go to Universal or Knott's that day instead. It's already a short day as it is.

Thanks, if a pre-party is announced closing off a section of the park, we'll go to Universal or Knott's that day instead. It's already a short day as it is.
Do remember that pre-party or not starting at 4pm DL will get quite crowded.

I didn't mean that the rest of the park would have any closures - what I had originally thought was that day guests would get to be in Toontown earlier than party only people but that can't be right since Toontown closes for awhile and no one is allowed in there. I thought someone else posted that as an AP holder they got earlier access to the Toontown preparty but I must have misunderstood.

Halloween merch tip for the Shop Disney Parks app: you'll see more Halloween stuff if you click on the page where they have the Halloween Shop category. At first I typed Halloween into the search box but then saw the special Halloween Shop and saw many more items for sale that way. Disney Visa holders get 10% off all merch in the app., though there may be a minium purchase amount for that to apply. Unfortunately some of the things pictured are only available in store.

The Shop Parks App has some many random quirks...sometimes I've found that searching by key string (e.g., Halloween) produces better results than checking their set-up "shop" and other times the reserve is true. I know this was mentioned upthread, but for folks that are looking at the Shop Parks App Halloween merchandise, note that most of the dual park merchandise will say "Walt Disney World" on it (rather than Disneyland). For example, the re-useable tote has the same design in both DLR and WDW, but the version available via the App is the one for WDW.

The Shop Parks App has some many random quirks...sometimes I've found that searching by key string (e.g., Halloween) produces better results than checking their set-up "shop" and other times the reserve is true. I know this was mentioned upthread, but for folks that are looking at the Shop Parks App Halloween merchandise, note that most of the dual park merchandise will say "Walt Disney World" on it (rather than Disneyland). For example, the re-useable tote has the same design in both DLR and WDW, but the version available via the App is the one for WDW.
Good to know about the quirks. Best to do your shopping a few different ways then on the app. Do you know if they might add more/different Halloween merch later? Hoping I'll see the monster wreath and light up bat Mickey ears for sale on there not just pictured. I wasn't going to buy anything with a park name on it but I'll be on the look out for if it is DL or WDW in the future if I do.

Do you mean the Nightmare Before Christmas wreath...like the one that's in the hallway scene of HMH? There is one called "The Nightmare Before Christmas Wreath" that shows on the App, but it's "in store only" now. It was initially available for in App purchase, but they must have run out of their stock, so now it's in store only. The light-up ears (is it the headband?) was also on the App, but that's been in store only since is showed up. I haven't seen many items go from "in store only" to being available via the App; mostly it's the other way (available for order in the App and then it becomes "in store only").

Mickey's Halloween Party ticket question! Sorry if it has been asked before. We are using regular parkhopper tickets the day of our party (10/13) and starting our day in DCA. We were planning to parkhop to DL around 2pm… do we need to exit the park sometime between 4-7 and re-enter using our Halloween Party tickets? Or can I just show the MHP tickets to get our wristbands (we don’t have hard tickets, only on my phone). Thanks!

Do you mean the Nightmare Before Christmas wreath...like the one that's in the hallway scene of HMH? There is one called "The Nightmare Before Christmas Wreath" that shows on the App, but it's "in store only" now. It was initially available for in App purchase, but they must have run out of their stock, so now it's in store only. The light-up ears (is it the headband?) was also on the App, but that's been in store only since is showed up. I haven't seen many items go from "in store only" to being available via the App; mostly it's the other way (available for order in the App and then it becomes "in store only").
I'm not sure if the wreath is a NmBC one, but probably is. It is the green one with teeth. Bummer they probably won't be available on the app hopefully they'll still be in DL by the time I get there.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet about AP merchandise/perks https://disneyland.disney.go.com/news/passholders-halloween-party/

Historically there has been a location inside DLR where you can get your wristband; for the last few years it's been near the entrance to Frontierland. They start scanning MHP tickets when the turnstiles open (so either 3 or 4 pm, depending on the day). The line can get pretty long...I don't know if it's faster than the main ticket gates, but it saves you from having to walk all the way back down Main Street. I haven't used the electronic tickets for MHP, but I would expect that they'll be able to scan them just like they can at the main gate. My guess is that folks going to the first few parties will mostly likely report back if there are any issues with the digital tickets.

Not sure if this has been posted here yet about AP merchandise https://disneyland.disney.go.com/news/passholders-halloween-party/
I wonder if it's a new Zero magic shot or the one they've offered in the past. We got it back in 2015 near the Mickey pumpkin in Town Square.
ZeroMagicShot_zpsnvqttsq3.jpeg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter