2016 January Check-in Thread

Anyone else obsessively stalking the weather lol? I feel like it keeps going into the high 70s, then back to the mid 60s, then back to the high 70s. I need SoCal to make up its mind!
I won't bother looking at the weather until a week before our trip. FYI, California is expecting /hoping for rain from El Nino. Supposed to start in January.

Weather in California (esp So Cal) can vary from week to week.

update on PTN packages for Jan 12, 13 and 15 -- someone in another thread said they got a call about their ressie on the 15th for AO and disney dining cancelled it due to a special event going on that night?!?!
wonder what it could be? something for the SW runners?
park hours for those nights haven't changed either......

IASW is down for holiday overlay right on time Feb 25. Usually through the 5th. I am on my phone so can't use the map and check the dates for closures.

I found out last night Goofy's is closed Jan 19 - Feb. 10.

Some of the places in DTD may be open. If not there is a CoCo's on Katella not too far from PPH. PPH probably has room service as well.
I hadn't even thought about room service! And the Coco's recommendation is awesome. Thank you so much! :worship:

Anyone else obsessively stalking the weather lol? I feel like it keeps going into the high 70s, then back to the mid 60s, then back to the high 70s. I need SoCal to make up its mind!

I'm not stalking the weather... yet... :) but I'm completely prepared for whatever comes. Have ponchos, rain suits, and waterproof shoes for my DGD7 and myself. We'll keep the ponchos in our backpacks, and take an extra bag with the rest of the rain gear into the parks any day that has rain in the forecast. This "rain bag" will go into a locker, and that way if it rains, we only have to take a little break to gear up!

Hello!! We are going to DL for the first time, January 28- January 31, 2016. We have been to WDW several times, but thought we'd visit some family in California and try DL. We were married at WDW 12 years ago, that's what makes our trips in January so special.
On a side note: I'm trying very hard to keep a positive attitude towards all of the closings and rehabs. I have been planning since June and the closing list is getting bigger and bigger.... It will be okay, right? There is still alot to see and do?

Welcome to the DL January group! There are always closures in January but still so much to keep you busy for days. Last year even more was down so we did some new restaurants and new shows. Still had a great time.

Is anyone else starting to get really excited? My trip is only 15 days away!

I scheduled my grocery delivery & airport transportation and have bought everything needed for the trip and now I'm just waiting for January.

Sooo excited... And also now nervous about the weather.

Hello all! DH and I just made the decision to take a one day trip to DL while we are in CA from Jan 15 to 18th! Neither of us have ever been before, so Ive just started looking through some of these threads. It looks like the SW run is the 17th. Are these usually jam packed? I know the marathons at WDW are. Perhaps the 16th would be the better day for us to go to the park? Just DL, not DCA. Thanks!

Last edited:
Is anyone else starting to get really excited? My trip is only 15 days away!

I scheduled my grocery delivery & airport transportation and have bought everything needed for the trip and now I'm just waiting for January.

Sooo excited... And also now nervous about the weather.
I am! We're about 13 days away. However, were going skiing beforehand, AND my kids won't find out til Xmas day, so my excitement is somewhat tempered. I come here for my daily thrill. Can't wait for them to find out next week. Then I can be excited out in the open, lol.

My airline just contacted me today and said that my return flight has been cancelled! At first I panicked. Now we have to stay over an extra night...doesn't seem fair that we have to pay another night for a hotel and another day of food. We can't afford to add a 1 day park ticket for all four of us. So I think that instead of going to the park on the afternoon of our arrival day, we'll just do Downtown Disney that day, and save our fifth day for the extra day that we will now be there. Change in travel plans is stressful, but I think it might just work out better in the end! 5 full days in Disneyland. :) Now we leave Jan. 8th, until the 14th. It's so hard not telling my kids - like the above poster, they'll find out on Christmas Day! Crossing my fingers so hard for good weather so that the nighttime shows aren't cancelled! :)

18 more sleeps for us! We did a surprise trip for my son when he was about 8. We told him we were going to visit his grandparents which was about a 3 hour drive away. About 4 hours into the drive he knew we weren't headed to grandma and grandpas because the scenery looked different. That's when we finally told him. It was so much fun surprising him that way but sooo hard keeping the secret!

Saw Star Wars Episode 7 last night and now I am even more excited!! :yay:

Welcome. Fun to have older daughter in on the surprise!!
Yes, it's been SOOOO fun to have a partner in crime. She's 16 and we're having a great time planning and conspiring. ;)

Anyone else obsessively stalking the weather lol
It can be such a mixed bag during the day, but I know it will be cold at night! The one big thing will be if it's going to rain or not. And will there be El Nino storms?! But I'm not going to start checking the forecast until 6 or 7 days before our trip.

Yeah! First time in 5 years that Splash Mt. Is open when we are there. Also Soarin is off the refurb list on our first day!
Woohoo, that is awesome news!!

Is anyone else starting to get really excited? My trip is only 15 days away! ...Sooo excited... And also now nervous about the weather.
I'm soooo excited. We leave in 12 days and I can hardly stand it!! And yes, I'm totally nervous that it could rain or that weather would cancel F! and/or fireworks.

You guys have much more restraint than I do, I don't think I could ever keep a Disney trip a secret for more than an hour, I think I've even told my mailman... I wouldn't be surprised.

Well, I think my older daughter might know due to a slip up from a friend. Long story short - I didn't tell the friend it was a surprise during an earlier conversation. When she saw me over the weekend she asked when we were coming back from LA in front of my daughter. I completely forgot that my daughter didn't know/forgot that she was standing behind me. So I answered. Immediately, my daughter asked, "WHAT - We're going to LA?!" Luckily my friend caught on, so tried to wiggle out of it and said that SHE was going down to LA, which her son confirmed. Pretty sure my daughter didn't buy it cause I stayed silent! My friend didn't specifically say Disneyland, but if we're in Southern Cal, it's usually for Disneyland. Anyways, it' only 5 more days of silence. UGH! Well, it'll still be a surprise for my younger daughter.

Just saw that Captain America has been replaced by Spider-Man. I'm super bummed! I was way more excited about meeting Cap than Spidey

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter