• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2015 DVC Alaska Member Cruise 5/25-5/31/15

I have added your thread to the cruise meet list pixiedust:
Have a great cruise!

yeah, I just double checked on that shuttle and it's waaay more than 2.5 hrs.
Best case for the Quick Shuttle was 5 hrs. :scared1:

Plus recent reviews are pretty unflattering regarding the commuting experience on these busses for hours and hours.

So thanks stayfos. Really appreciate having a Canadian resident aboard to help us newbies.

BTW. there is a BOLT Bus departing various times from 5th Ave at King St. Seattle to Vancouver which takes 4 hrs. same as Amtrak.

Based on all this - the TRAIN is in the LEAD for a Seattle flight!!

or we're back to the drawing board.

today JQ and I ran some SERIOUS numbers to compare a few airlines.

the only contenders out of Phl are Southwest; United and Air Canada.
there are pros and cons to each.

right now we are leaning toward taking that $196.00 United Flt directly into Vancouver on Sun 5/24 and a southwest back to Phl on Tues out of Seattle.

JQ is contacting Amtrak about a group rate. cheapest so far is $31.00 AAA rate.

:cheer2: Hi! We are thinking of joining this cruise as we have always wanted to cruise Alaska. Are the benefits of it being DVC enough to get us off the fence?:confused3

$31 for the train doesn't seem bad! Thanks to JQ and PI for doing so much research for all of us

:cheer2: Hi! We are thinking of joining this cruise as we have always wanted to cruise Alaska. Are the benefits of it being DVC enough to get us off the fence?:confused3

Anybody know if the cruise is sold out? I would guess that the concierge suites will be the last to go, as they cost so much more and have a more restricted refund policy. But does anyone know for sure?

Hi jonida3,

Welcome to our cruise meet. We hope you join us.

This is our first Alaskan cruise. We have been on 5 Disney cruises including the 2013 Sept. Member Cruise on the Dream.

There are plenty of incentives to cruise DVC if you are ok with the higher prices.

DVC "charters" the ship and does not sell the cruise to capacity, therefore the level of service seems to increase from a standard cruise and we felt like it was a private sailing.

The public areas, pools, theaters, etc. on the Dream were a lot less crowded which made it very easy to relax and enjoy.

We were greeted with nice in room gifts every day.

The onboard entertainment/activities include special guests not offered on the standard cruises, including Broadway performers, comedians, drawing with Ducky Williams and more. I've posted the special events guide from the Dream below.

I'm hoping that with this cruise, DVC will be able to attract even more "A list", west coast talent and this being both the very first 7-night and Alaska Member cruise, I'm sure there will be added unique special events, shows, gifts and entertainers.

We felt that the crew and CM's brought their "A" game on this cruise and made us feel very welcomed and important. They were exceptional at every turn.

I hope that I've made this an offer you can't refuse!! :thumbsup2

Anybody know if the cruise is sold out? I would guess that the concierge suites will be the last to go, as they cost so much more and have a more restricted refund policy. But does anyone know for sure?

I just got off the phone with Member services. The following categories are available. All others are sold out.

Cat.
9A - Oceanview
5B & C - verandah
4A&B - Family stateroom w/ verandah - Deck 8.

All you fence sitters(jonida3) better call right now. They close at 5:30pm EST.

Ditto what Johnny Quest said. Not only was the cruise itself wonderful, but we got so much behind-the-scenes stuff on Saving Mr. Banks. It made the movie so much more enjoyable and what REALLY happened was fascinating. I, too, think there might be something special and interesting due to the west coast lure. Meeting like-minded people; the FE; great food, relaxing, special presentations - it was worth it to us! Hope those of you thinking about it get in. We were lucky enough to be late-comers to the Fall DVC cruise and still got the type of room we wanted. We are down-scaling this time as the kids are staying home, but were not in the room hardly at all anyway! SOOO excited.

Hi. We would love to be part of FE group. This will be our third cruise (2nd is in 6 weeks time) first DVC cruise and first time to Alaska. We will be travelling in from UK. So flying into Vancouver. Pam, Nick and Brittany who will be 18. Last cruise in VIBE next month :( . We are in stateroom 7129.

I just got off the phone with Member services. The following categories are available. All others are sold out.

Cat.
9A - Oceanview
5B & C - verandah
4A&B - Family stateroom w/ verandah - Deck 8.

All you fence sitters(jonida3) better call right now. They close at 5:30pm EST.

Thanks for that info. And wow! that Experience Guide! Did you know about any of that beforehand? I would love to prep my kids and do research so we can enjoy it to the max. Richard Sherman live? How cool is that! And my DS14 would have loved the Toy Story of Terror sneak preview!

Hello everyone! We will be joining you on this cruise (me, my mother and my DD who will be 9 when we sail). This will be our second member cruise and our 6th Disney cruise (unless I book more cruises in between this August and next May, which is always a possibility!) Like you, poison ivy, we are coming from the Philly area so I am looking forward to what you come up with for airfare. I looked for a bit after booking the cruise, and my head started to hurt! It's going to be a great time!

I think the best thing to do is to fly in to Vancouver and avoid more logistics. Chill out at the Pan Pacific. It looks very nice.

Soderquackers, have you been to Aulani yet, or is this your first?
Hawaii is the next bucket list target.

Have not been to Hawaii before. Very much looking forward to it. Last year we went on our first cruise and bought into DVC. That cruise itself was a dream come true. I'd never in a million years thought we would be able to take such an amazing vacation. Now, it seems, the magic will never end. Thought another cruise would be years in the making but since it was Alaska, my husband was easily swayed :)

Good Morning fellow cruisers!!

Welcome to everyone just joining us.

Looks like the members cruise is finally showing our reservations on the DCL site.
Jay Kat if you don't get that email, I'd call the DVC to get your DCL reservation number. That's all you need anyway.

We're gold CC members, so our booking window will open Feb 9.
there's a good packing suggestions list on there ranging from bathing suits to winter coats, which is hilarious!

BellesMommy, it's great to have another Philly area traveler. I know the headache you are describing regarding getting to/from this cruise from our area. I work on it EVERY DAY!! little by little.
You'll never guess what the cheapest way in and out of Vancouver to Seattle is - 1 way rentals thru National. yesterday I found rates as low as 32.00 to relocate full size vehicles. Very tempting to avoid that Bus and have to wait around for the late train departure on our disembarkation day.
We could all convoy out of Canada together!

I will keep digging!

Thanks for that info. And wow! that Experience Guide! Did you know about any of that beforehand? I would love to prep my kids and do research so we can enjoy it to the max. Richard Sherman live? How cool is that! And my DS14 would have loved the Toy Story of Terror sneak preview!

It's never announced ahead of time what they have planned or who the guests will be. We received that guide once we were onboard.

This is all they have on the DVC website right now about our sailing.

Member Cruise Exclusives

Our unprecedented Member Cruise to Alaska will include an equally unprecedented lineup of shows, experiences and gifts inspired by the spectacular setting.

Shows and Experiences
Trek through Disney history. Bring Disney characters to life under the expert guidance of a Disney artist. Or, immerse yourself in some of the wildest Disney stories.

Each experience is tailor-made to complement the unforgettable ports of call on this Alaskan itinerary—and offer a lifetime of warm memories in a wintry wonderland.

Gifts
Look forward to special surprises throughout your cruise! Discover Alaskan-inspired, in-room gifts that are sure to evoke vacation memories long after the ship returns to port."

We're taking the train from Seattle to Vancouver. It's an expense, and kind of time-consuming, but I've heard it's beautiful.

Be mindful of which of the Amtark trains you take from Seattle to Vancouver. The one which starts in the Los Angeles area (Coast Starlight) is notoriously hours behind schedule more often than not.

I too was going to wait until Southwest released their prices to Seattle. I would love to be at the port the night before sailing, but if it's a significant savings on the flight and a hotel in Seattle, it might be worth it. Guess you also have to rent a car to get to the port? Pros, cons?

Therina,
The drive to the Vancouver port from Seattle will be at least 2 1/2 hours with no traffic and not including the border wait. You will also have to pay for parking at the port and it is not cheap. When I checked last week, it was $184 if I remember correctly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter