• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2014 Grand Floridian Resort & Villas FAQ: Vacationing in Grand Style!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put in my request last year " request lodge tower room due to traveling with a teen boy and girl and need extra space".

It worked!!

Even if traveling in a smaller group if you put a reason it may help.:confused3

Good luck!

Thanks!! What does lodge tower room mean?

Hi all,

We got back yesterday from a split GF/YC stay. Id asked before we left about the price of a case of water at the Sundries shop. Turns out it's $17 for a case of 24 12-oz Dasani bottles. They also sell gallons of water for about $4; though that stuff is much cheaper, it tastes terrible. For the YC leg of our stay, we just held our noses and paid for the case. Still marginally cheaper than buying water in the parks.

We ended up staying in a ground-floor room in Boca Chica. I hate to admit it, but we were not impressed. The decor was not my taste -- way too much institutional beige paint, and it bugged me that the bed pillow and scarf (both a burnt orange) clashed with the heavy, maroon-and-gold curtains. The room lacked some of the thoughtful touches we've come to expect from Disney -- there wasn't enough storage space, for instance, for our family of five to unpack fully for a 3-night stay. And the lights over the beds are (a) not individually controlled, and (b) not dimmable, both of which made hanging out in the room after the kids were asleep quite difficult. Unfortunately, the balcony wasn't an option either, as when I went out there the first night, I found a snake using it. :scared: It was just a tiny little guy and according to my research, not poisonous, but still, it killed all desire I had to hang out on the balcony.

The weather was brutal this week, so I'm sure it was coloring my perceptions, but I found the grounds at the GF really unforgiving. There was simply no shade to be had anywhere, not even on the verandahs lining the main building. Our walks to Gasparillas, the main building and the boats were very short, but they were also very unpleasant.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer -- I really did want to love the Grand. But it wasn't my taste. Still, I'm glad we tried it!

Hope that you enjoyed YC! Did you enjoy Stormalong Bay? We stayed at BC, about 6 summers ago, and LOVED Stormalong Bay! We traditionally travel to WDW in August also, as it was always around sports camps, sports schedules, etc...We always had fun, but it is HOT! I am sure that there is no one out there that can deny that fact! First time that we are going to WDW non summer will be for a trip beginning of Dec! I am sure that I will be pleasantly surprised with the weather, hopefully!pixiedust:

Hope that you and your family enjoyed your vaca otherwise...Hey "different strokes for different folks"..:rotfl2:.That is why there are so many WDW resort choices!:)

Hello fellow GF fans....:wave2:

Thank you! I believe this, so far, has been our best vacation ever. In the past, we really have not done much because my DS has Autism Spectrum Disorder with sensory issues. He is also on a special diet, multiple supplements, and needs shots every three days.
However, he has done AWESOME!!! He's enjoyed the parks, got on many rides without a problem, loves the pools....soooo we are just taking advantage and riding the wave..

So happy to hear that this has been such a great vacation for your whole family.... especially your DS...:goodvibes

Thanks! Does anyone know if SL section has the Deluxe rooms? Should I even bother to request it?

SL has exactly three deluxe rooms (formerly called lodge tower rooms..to answer your other question.)..They are not bookable and at a higher rate in SL..as they are in the other outer buildings...:thumbsup2 But certainly can be requested..The room numbers for these rooms are 6220 (located on the 2nd floor..and has an enclosed balcony railing..due to the portico roof line) 6320 (3rd floor..standard balcony railing ) and 6420 (4th floor with no balcony due to the suite next door) .... HTH...:flower3:

We just checked into SL yesterday!!! I love the rooms they are so fresh. I am focusing on all of the new things in the rooms I like and not the things I miss. I love the high back chair and the sheer curtain design. The rooms are very elegant. This is the 5th year we have been here this time of year and I don't recall the pools ever being this crowded. They are not checking magic bands at the pools. Is anyone else here now and experiencing the this.

Glad to hear that you are checked in and liking the digs!! :thumbsup2 ..lol...As for the pools...:eek: I can only imagine...I thought they were far more crowded than we are used to seeing when we were there in February...They really should be checking MBs at this time of year especially...

Since you are going for F&W I would definitely book an Epcot resort. Can't beat walking back to your resort and avoiding the crowds leaving Epcot at the end of the night.

Hello there my favorite roomie!! :goodvibes ( don't tell my DH..he thinks that he is...lol...) I totally agree...that walk back and forth thru the IGW at the end of an Epcot evening is soooo nice....Not to mention the opportunity to stop at Boardwalk Joe's for a beverage if you are thirsty from the walk...lol..:drinking1 (maybe a little pineapple margarita??? lol..)

Hi all,

We got back yesterday from a split GF/YC stay. Id asked before we left about the price of a case of water at the Sundries shop. Turns out it's $17 for a case of 24 12-oz Dasani bottles. They also sell gallons of water for about $4; though that stuff is much cheaper, it tastes terrible. For the YC leg of our stay, we just held our noses and paid for the case. Still marginally cheaper than buying water in the parks.

We ended up staying in a ground-floor room in Boca Chica. I hate to admit it, but we were not impressed. The decor was not my taste -- way too much institutional beige paint, and it bugged me that the bed pillow and scarf (both a burnt orange) clashed with the heavy, maroon-and-gold curtains. The room lacked some of the thoughtful touches we've come to expect from Disney -- there wasn't enough storage space, for instance, for our family of five to unpack fully for a 3-night stay. And the lights over the beds are (a) not individually controlled, and (b) not dimmable, both of which made hanging out in the room after the kids were asleep quite difficult. Unfortunately, the balcony wasn't an option either, as when I went out there the first night, I found a snake using it. :scared: It was just a tiny little guy and according to my research, not poisonous, but still, it killed all desire I had to hang out on the balcony.

The weather was brutal this week, so I'm sure it was coloring my perceptions, but I found the grounds at the GF really unforgiving. There was simply no shade to be had anywhere, not even on the verandahs lining the main building. Our walks to Gasparillas, the main building and the boats were very short, but they were also very unpleasant.

I'm sorry to be a Debbie Downer -- I really did want to love the Grand. But it wasn't my taste. Still, I'm glad we tried it!

Thanks you for your honest review...and sorry that the GF wasn't exactly to your taste....Whats so great about WDW is that there are resorts for every taste.. at tleast you got to try the GF out...

As for the snake on your patio....:eek: ....Wishes had one of those small garden variety in her room on one of her trips....!!!:crazy2: Personally..with many stays over the years in ground floor rooms ..we have never even spotted a snake anywhere in our vicinity...now I know they are there...just glad we haven't seen them!!!

ahcupcake Glad that your aunts doggie is on the mend...:dog:And always happy to see you popping in here...:hug:

MickeyNut Was wondering where you were at???? :goodvibes

and speaking of....grannyminnie..do you have company yet again??? Also wondering if you were able to finally change your trip dates???

~ Some interesting info for those with upcoming trips that are staying CL...after you check in for your stay...you now have the ability to text IPO with requests that you may have...maybe making or changing an ADR....add an event or activity...although I find it very impersonal...the ease of text communications balances things out....and being able to text from the park for instance to maybe add a dinner ADR...can't beat it! :thumbsup2

Hope that everyone is having a fabulous Friday!!!! princess: preppy GF gal who is def embracing her inner Poly princess....lol...

Good Morning :wave2:

Thanks Mickeynut we're glad she's recovering too cause it didn't look too good for a few days :flower3:

Maxie86 & Blue :wave2:

:wave2: Glad Shadow is doing better.

Thank you so much for everyone who replied .... So sorry I can't multi quote on this dumb dumb iPad lol So thank you and if I don't mention user names it's because of not being able to multi quote , and I don't want to take up 5 or 6 posts doing it individually. But thank you and I needed just a little push to think I was not completely crazy ... I'll take a little crazy anytime though : )
I guess 18 days is to too long & as one poster said you only live once so I'm going for it,
After reading everyone's posts I decided the Epcot area would be best but then I looked and nothing available at any of the resorts with the fall discount room offer or even without the offer(( bummer )) So the options available at deluxe rooms BLT, GF villa, poly, WL or AKL. Of those options I think GF villa might be nice since we've been staying at GF for years yet that would be new for us to stay in the villas and very different than later in our stay at GF RPCL. WL is an option since we were originally booked there before pool construction and with being at F&W I believe it would be okay for a 3 night stay and it's the best price which at this point probably shouldn't matter I guess. But maybe the construction will bug me so ??? BLT is new for us too as we only stayed at the CR atrium level so BLT would be new adventure. Poly is out because of the major construction and AKL will be staying at 10 nights CL so I think that's enough of the wild side of disney. Right now I'm leaning towards GF villa or WL ... While heading out for a long weekend I'll see what my husband thinks but as I mentioned he's pretty go with it and let me know what to pack kind of guy : )
Some other recommendations ...
about it being not moving to 3 resorts - We just stayed last month at 4 hotels during our Disneyland, Universal, San Diego and Las Vegas trip and it was no biggie for us. At WDW they transfer luggage so even easier.

about packing several suitcase for each hotel - flying in to Orlando from Salt Lake City Utah so not sure 3 suitcases is an option, but heck maybe? We go out of town at least twice a month and years ago I would be packing room challenged but I've gotten pretty good at it : ) Plus I do ship my dirty clothes home for the resort to make room for shopping, so 2 suitcases would work for me.

About annual pass - i never even consider it since I booked packages. We have free dining during our AKL part of the stay but not during our GF stay so that kinda of plays into it as how an annual pass would work for us ... Certainly I need to look into it. When we switched from WL to AKL we got a great deal with free dining for CL ( well not a great deal but a great disney deal ) I would totally consider a TIW card if we got animal passes : ) Geez at the cost of this trip it would be a down payment on DVC yikes!

Again thanks all & have a beautiful weekend, geez wrote a dang novel here : )
Debby

The Swan and Dolphin are very nice and have good rates. There is a resort fee and you have to pay for parking if you have a car, but still a lot less expensive.

Are both of your resorts a package? You can upgrade your tickets to an AP, just use it to enter a park once and then go to GS to upgrade. You will almost always save more with an AP room only discount over free dining at a deluxe resort. The TIW card saves you 20% even on adult beverages so it can be a significant savings, also free valet parking at a resort when dining with the TIW card. You can pick up package tickets three days early so you can use them for a room only stay before your package begins. Hope this makes sense, the ticket thing can get very confusing. As ahcupcake said you break even around 10 or 11 days, anything over that is free with an AP. With an 18 day trip you would save quite a bit even if you didn't use them again. You can PM me if you want more information or if this isn't clear.

Thanks!! What does lodge tower room mean?

What is now called a deluxe room in the outer lodges were once called lodge tower rooms. They are larger than a standard room with a separate seating area and extra TV.

Hi BlueSkies, :wave2: We were posting at the same time. :goodvibes

I love the idea of texting to get additional FP's instead of going to the kiosk at least until you can make them on your phone.

Another thing I heard of recently...you save 20% at resort gift shops with a TIW card. Can anyone confirm this? I read it on the Touring Plans website so it should be reliable...probably...maybe...:rotfl2: That would be awesome if true, you only save 10% with an AP.

Hi BlueSkies, :wave2: We were posting at the same time. :goodvibes

I love the idea of texting to get additional FP's instead of going to the kiosk at least until you can make them on your phone.

Another thing I heard of recently...you save 20% at resort gift shops with a TIW card. Can anyone confirm this? I read it on the Touring Plans website so it should be reliable...probably...maybe...:rotfl2: That would be awesome if true, you only save 10% with an AP.

Maxie Yep...I agree about the additional FPP..a great convenience...eventually I am sure we will be able to add them right from the phone...just wish they would hurry up with that...

As for the discount with the TIW card... :dance3: I hope that is true...20% is twice as nice as the 10% that we get from the APs... TP is a very reliable site..so I am thinking that it must be...Looking foward to tryin that out....:thumbsup2

Hope that you enjoyed YC! Did you enjoy Stormalong Bay? We stayed at BC, about 6 summers ago, and LOVED Stormalong Bay! We traditionally travel to WDW in August also, as it was always around sports camps, sports schedules, etc...We always had fun, but it is HOT! I am sure that there is no one out there that can deny that fact! First time that we are going to WDW non summer will be for a trip beginning of Dec! I am sure that I will be pleasantly surprised with the weather, hopefully!pixiedust:

Hope that you and your family enjoyed your vaca otherwise...Hey "different strokes for different folks"..:rotfl2:.That is why there are so many WDW resort choices!:)

We did enjoy the YC, especially SAB! I really think YC is my "home" resort -- I love almost everything about it. We were also there this past December and it was truly idyllic. The resort is decorated so nicely and the weather was cool but not too cool for swimming.

:

Sounds like a fabulous trip is being had by all ::yes::. Glad your DS is having a great time and is enjoying the parks as well as the pool/resort time :wizard:.

Thanks Mickeynut! Words can not express how we feel...

I'm here now. Was at beach pool around noon. Not too bad. But remember now GFV is opened up so that adds a lot more people.
good point Sue! It was definitely better today we did get a chair at the beach pool :) I do find myself collecting towels off of chairs that people leave behind when they leave so that other people can find a spot to rest... Sigh... I am currently sitting on my balcony in sugar loaf sipping champaign watching the monorail and thinking of all of you Grand folks! It is on the ground floor so I am also thinking of snakes and keeping a vigilant eye....

davale4: Our last chance to probably cross your path will be tomorrow night at Twilight Refreshers.

We will be there promptly at 5 p.m. and will be easy to identify since we will be dressed for V&A. We always have a glass of Mumm Napa to kick off the evening. [Fear not: my slightly unshaven look is for an upcoming film role]. It would be our pleasure to meet you.

All the best. :thumbsup2

Thank you too, Mickeynut1 for the info on Cirque & our ADR at Narcoossee's afterward. We were just concerned about the construction delays. Really looking forward to our first stay in exactly 7 days!

Hello everyone. We are in RPC now and loving it! We arrived at WDW on Monday and stayed at WL for one night. We checked in to GF a little before 10 am on Tuesday and we are here for 10 days. We are in a queen deluxe and love it!

The room is big and we really like the refurb. It's less busy than the old decor. Before we left we were hoping for a daybed. The couch is not a just a daybed, it pulls out. In the morning the maid folds it back up and then the bed is pulled out and made up at turndown.

Our view is of the Villas, water play area, beach pool, beach and poly. If you look off into the distance you can see the WL, the top of Spaceship Earth and the swan.

The lounge seems a bit busy in the am around 5:00ish. The staff has been very very nice. My first day I asked if I could get a KTTW card b/c I don't like wearing the magic band. The CM at concierge told me the KTTW didn't work well and talked me out of it. I went back the next day to a new CM and they switched it no problem and it has worked just fine. It is a yellow card but there is nothing printed on the front so they had me sign it. I don't know if the first CM didn't know how to issue the KTTW or if she just didn't want to.

I took some pics of the room before we unpacked but it's been so long since I've posted pics I'll have to see if I can remember how to do it. We can hear the orchestra from our room but we like it. We can also hear the pool party in the afternoon but it's not bad or annoying, at least not to us.

We have a good sized balcony, it is a bit bigger than regular balconies b/c it extends around a corner a bit. We have been happy with the staff and cleanliness of the room and resort.

[URL=http://s58.photobucket.com/user/cinmell/media/IMG_2039-2.jpg.html][/URL]
IMG_2007-1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_00152.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It's been VERY HOT. It rained for the first time since we've been here last night but we missed it b/c it started right as we were going into BOG and was over by the time we got out of the restaurant.

I"m going to try to see if I can post some pics of the new room.

Thanks Mickeynut we're glad she's recovering too cause it didn't look too good for a few days :flower3:

Sorry it didn't look good at first, but glad things turned around and she's doing better :goodvibes.

First time that we are going to WDW non summer will be for a trip beginning of Dec! I am sure that I will be pleasantly surprised with the weather, hopefully!pixiedust:

You will love Disney in December as all of the parks and resorts are beautifully decorated and there is so much going on :santa:.

Hello fellow GF fans....:wave2:

MickeyNut Was wondering where you were at???? :goodvibes

Hi Blue :)

:hug:

I am currently sitting on my balcony in sugar loaf sipping champaign watching the monorail and thinking of all of you Grand folks!

Sounds like a nice relaxing evening :cloud9:.

Thank you too, Mickeynut1 for the info on Cirque & our ADR at Narcoossee's afterward. We were just concerned about the construction delays. Really looking forward to our first stay in exactly 7 days!

You're welcome :goodvibes.

Hi Maxie86 :wave2:

Hello everyone. We are in RPC now and loving it! We arrived at WDW on Monday and stayed at WL for one night. We checked in to GF a little before 10 am on Tuesday and we are here for 10 days. We are in a queen deluxe and love it!

The room is big and we really like the refurb. It's less busy than the old decor. Before we left we were hoping for a daybed. The couch is not a just a daybed, it pulls out. In the morning the maid folds it back up and then the bed is pulled out and made up at turndown.

The lounge seems a bit busy in the am around 5:00ish. The staff has been very very nice. My first day I asked if I could get a KTTW card b/c I don't like wearing the magic band. The CM at concierge told me the KTTW didn't work well and talked me out of it. I went back the next day to a new CM and they switched it no problem and it has worked just fine. It is a yellow card but there is nothing printed on the front so they had me sign it. I don't know if the first CM didn't know how to issue the KTTW or if she just didn't want to.

I took some pics of the room before we unpacked but it's been so long since I've posted pics I'll have to see if I can remember how to do it. We can hear the orchestra from our room but we like it. We can also hear the pool party in the afternoon but it's not bad or annoying, at least not to us.

We have a good sized balcony, it is a bit bigger than regular balconies b/c it extends around a corner a bit. We have been happy with the staff and cleanliness of the room and resort.

It's been VERY HOT. It rained for the first time since we've been here last night but we missed it b/c it started right as we were going into BOG and was over by the time we got out of the restaurant.

I"m going to try to see if I can post some pics of the new room.

Thanks for checking in. Glad you're having a good time and enjoying RPC :wizard:.

I'll be at the villas (2br/std) starting tomorrow. :goodvibes If anyone has a question, let me know and I'll do my best to answer. :thumbsup2

Hello everyone! I just wanted to post in this forum again! I have enjoyed reading all the updates to the Grand Floridian! My family and I have stayed here previously, and I am just thrilled to be coming back!! We have stayed off site at the Waldorf and our last trip was at Animal Kingdom. We are making our fist Winter trip in December and decided to return to the lovely GF. I can't wait to see the beautiful Christmas decorations and all the changes to the room refurbishments! I also bought our tickets to our very first Mickeys very merry Christmas party!!!!:cool1: This trip will also be our fist using My Disney Experience and using Magic Bands There is so much to learn!! Thanks for all the great information everyone continues to post on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter