(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Congratulations on the Anniversary and the stay! I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thanks.

We have a Garden View Outer Building booked - any suggestions on what building we should request?

Love the thought of that balcony too.

Last edited:
All the CMs say to check back but we may "cheat" on GF and stick with something new. Another check on the CL bucket list!

I'm in the process of booking a tea so we will visit. Now to convince DH to consider someplace OTHER than Artist Point for dinner!

Glad you had a wonderful stay and thanks again everyone for the great pictures!

Liz
GF will always be my favorite, but we have really enjoyed our stays at the BC too. Staying on the Epcot side makes the trip completely different:) I was just recently looking at the pictures of BWI too. It looks very pretty! I would love to hear what you think of it after your stay.

Good Morning from soggy PA:umbrella: :wave:

Fantasy planning again......Christmas in RPC

I remember that trip!! :goodvibes Lotsa fun!!! Commandeered a cart??? Who ..where..????????? Was secutiry involved???LOL!!!! :cool2::rotfl:
Tons of fun.......Yes you gals commandeered one of those carts somewhere between SL and the courtyard pool......Umm it was you, Maxie, mom, Not Flat, the Magical TA and some unspeakables ;)::yes::....No members of security, maintenance or housekeeping were involved, that I know of:P>:(:-)o_O:teeth:

Thanks for the map of Sugar Loaf Trisha

Congrats on your upcoming trip JohnnySharp2......Happy Anniversary too!

Just in case anyone is headed the the Grand at the end of August...
Just confirmed with a CM at the Grand. Gasparilla Grill is listed on the calendar as closed for refurbishment from Aug. 23 for approx 2 weeks. She assured me that they will have some sort of alternative... I do hope there's an easily accessible refillable mug station.
We arrive on the 23rd. The only think I worry about is the mug refill. I can find plenty to eat there so that is no issues.

Any recommendations on which outer building has the best location for a Garden View room.

I figured Sago Kay or Big Pine Key as they are closer to the main building.

I'm living vicariously through all of you. Waaaaay back in 1991 my DW and I spent our honeymoon at the GF. Because of that it has always held a special place in my heart. We vacation each August at WDW but the rest of my family are huge BC fans so we always stay there. I do make it a point to visit the GF for dinner at the Park Fare each trip so I can soak up the memories but my family just aren't big GF fans. My kids (17 and 13) feel like it looks too stuffy and they say it holds no appeal to them. This trip our BounceBack offer started on August 20th, which is a Thursday. Flying out of Boston on Wednesday the 19th was $600 cheaper for all of us so I decided to book a single night, room only reservation, get an extra night in WDW and give them the extra money instead of JetBlue. I originally booked the GF for the one night with the travel agency that shall remain nameless on here for a great rate. I told the family about it and they really didn't want to stay there so I switched it to the Poly (Club Level) for a bit more, just because I've always wanted to try the Poly out.

So that is my long winded way of saying how much I enjoy coming on here and reading your posts, seeing your pics etc. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the BC but my heart will always belong to the GF.

Jay

Jay, I will see you at the Poly CL as we will be there the same time as you this August! I will throw this out there, though, that the Poly is still under construction and this might not be the best time to try it for the first time. The construction is also going to be at the pool that is right behind the CL building in August. Maaaaayyybe the GF might be a better choice for that one night, nudge, nudge. :rolleyes1

Hi. Starting to do some detail planning for our upcoming stay in a studio villa at the GF 9/5-10. Our 35th anniversary is 9/6 and we have reservations for V&A. We first went to V&A for our 25th and then again on our 30th. For our 30th we stayed in the main building CL and this is the first time the villas have been open for our every 5 year splurge. Since we are DVC members and I got lucky getting a room at the 7 month mark we are using points to stay there. I just see it as having more cash to splurge on other luxuries.

I plan to reserve at least one half day in a cabana at the courtyard pool. My question is, can you order room service to the cabanas? I know they have a limited menu available for runners to get for you, but we love the food from the GF Café (cobb salad). In room dining is about the same menu as the Café, so I am sure they are the kitchen used for room service. We would love to enjoy one of their salads pool side.

Thanks all, I am sure I will be around for the next couple of months gathering tidbits to make this stay special.

Laura

Any recommendations on which outer building has the best location for a Garden View room.

I really like Sago Cay when we stayed there in 2012. I requested a room facing the marina, and while we couldn't see the water from inside the room, we could stand and see it from the balcony (leaning over just slightly). But the location was super close to the main building and Gasparilla's, which was very convenient. And it was nice to just walk out the front door in the evenings, sit out by the marina and see the castle lit up :)

The building was clean and quiet. We had a standard room with two beds. There were only two of us, but the room was a little smaller than I expected. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Hello fellow GF fans! and :cake: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE GRAND FLORIDIAN...which opened exactly 27 years ago today...

We have just booked 2 nights for next April to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.
Been past so many times on the monorail but this will be our first time actually staying there.

Congratultions on your anniversary! :goodvibes and on your first GF stay!

Hey everyone,
please tell me i made the right decision by booking a Themed Park View Room in Boca Chica for my family Oct 2016. We are 2 adults & 3 kids ( 6, 4, 2 ).
Getting a little nervous that we didnt book the Poly.

Well there is a lot of love for the GF around here...so I think that you made a great choice for your family vacation :thumbsup2...as I am sure others will also agree...lol...TPV rooms are so nice...and requesting Boca Chica or Conch Key would be my suggestion for a room in that particular category...We have been staying at the GF since my children were very young..and we returned many times over the years because we have enjoyed our stays there so much...There are two nice pools..one with a fun waterfall and slide..a children's splash area too!

All the CMs say to check back but we may "cheat" on GF and stick with something new. Another check on the CL bucket list!

I'm in the process of booking a tea so we will visit. Now to convince DH to consider someplace OTHER than Artist Point for dinner!

Glad you had a wonderful stay and thanks again everyone for the great pictures!

Liz

I think that you will really enjoy the BWI! :clown: Even with that clown pool...lol..We really enjoyed trying something different too...

Blue Gaspys is so much more enjoyable without the arcade for sure! But last August it was still looking great, no wear & tear that I could see?
True we still have Capt Cooks, but when we stay at the monorail resorts, it's fun (& easy) to hop around to the other CS. Sigh. Wish they waited till Sept to close it.

Trish & Beth may be enablers :rolleyes1 I asked TA if there was any CL availability for my first 2 days at Poly,lol. Will find out tomorrow.

I was thinking the same thing..and we were just there...BTW..Contempo Cafe is a very nice CS too...lots of yummy flat breads..and cupcakes too...:mickeybar

GF will always be my favorite, but we have really enjoyed our stays at the BC too. Staying on the Epcot side makes the trip completely different:) I was just recently looking at the pictures of BWI too. It looks very pretty! I would love to hear what you think of it after your stay.

Totally agree..and was very pleasantly surprised by how nice a trip on the Epcot side can be! :cloud9:

Good Morning from soggy PA:umbrella: :wave:

Fantasy planning again......Christmas in RPC

Tons of fun.......Yes you gals commandeered one of those carts somewhere between SL and the courtyard pool......Umm it was you, Maxie, mom, Not Flat, the Magical TA and some unspeakables ;)::yes::....No members of security, maintenance or housekeeping were involved, that I know of:P>:(:-)o_O:teeth:!

Nothing wrong with fantasy planning....and Christmas in RPC sounds like a fab plan! :goodvibes

I have no recollection of the event that you described..none at all....:littleangel: ;)...lol....

We arrive on the 23rd. The only think I worry about is the mug refill. I can find plenty to eat there so that is no issues.

Maybe there will be a refill station in Mizner's if they do decide to use that as a replacement while Gaspies is being renovated..not really sure tho...hopefully someone will have recollection where they were during the last refurb...

GV rooms at the GF all have very lovely views....of either gardens..lol...or of the marina...yes those are considered GV rooms too....I personally think that Boca Chica is a great outer building..its more centrally located on the property..although it is a relatively small property ..and everything is in pretty close proximity...but BC over looks the courtyard pool and is close to the boat dock..which is very convenient when returning to the GF from the MK...not to mention the lovely views across the courtyard to the main building...Sago is my least favorite...although there are some other posters who do favor it...I see that VS85 is...and with a wonderful description of why...for us it seems a bit more far removed from everything than the other outer buildings....JMO...No matter where you choose.... I am sure that you and your family will enjoy...The GF really is such a beautiful resort! :cloud9: BTW..beautiful pics of your family in your signature....

VS85 Thanks for that terrific Sago review....It gave me a different perspective on what a stay in Sago is like...::yes::

I'm living vicariously through all of you. Waaaaay back in 1991 my DW and I spent our honeymoon at the GF. Because of that it has always held a special place in my heart. We vacation each August at WDW but the rest of my family are huge BC fans so we always stay there. I do make it a point to visit the GF for dinner at the Park Fare each trip so I can soak up the memories but my family just aren't big GF fans. My kids (17 and 13) feel like it looks too stuffy and they say it holds no appeal to them. This trip our BounceBack offer started on August 20th, which is a Thursday. Flying out of Boston on Wednesday the 19th was $600 cheaper for all of us so I decided to book a single night, room only reservation, get an extra night in WDW and give them the extra money instead of JetBlue. I originally booked the GF for the one night with the travel agency that shall remain nameless on here for a great rate. I told the family about it and they really didn't want to stay there so I switched it to the Poly (Club Level) for a bit more, just because I've always wanted to try the Poly out.

So that is my long winded way of saying how much I enjoy coming on here and reading your posts, seeing your pics etc. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE the BC but my heart will always belong to the GF.

Jay

Jay:welcome: Glad to hear that you enjoy visiting over here on the GF tread! :goodvibes What nice GF memories and traditions that you have...I am hoping that MickeyNut will pop in and share her GF experiences..because her family too thought that the GF was just not their kind of resort...and that it was stuffy....until...they stayed there..and I do believe their next trip will be another GF stay! She and her family were so surprised at the different feel that they got of the resort when actually staying there...I will say..Poly is still their fave...lol...but they do enjoy the GF too!

I have visited the YC/ BC thread from time to time..when I do book a YC/BC stay...then end up resort changing back to the GF...:blush:..such a comprehensive thread..Dee does a terrific job..and I must say that Ninjamom's posts have made me literally LOL ....:rotfl:

Beth
I like your Disney logic...Hope that it works for Jay! :wizard: If not..sounds like there is a fun DIS meet shaping up over there at the Poly...:crowded: ...lol...
Pardon the semi off topic :offtopic: but why has Disney not worked with Pandora to make resort charms? I would so be all over those! I might mention that during our upcoming trip.

Liz

I like the way you think Liz !!! Resort specific charms would be awesome!!! :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Hi. Starting to do some detail planning for our upcoming stay in a studio villa at the GF 9/5-10. Our 35th anniversary is 9/6 and we have reservations for V&A. We first went to V&A for our 25th and then again on our 30th. For our 30th we stayed in the main building CL and this is the first time the villas have been open for our every 5 year splurge. Since we are DVC members and I got lucky getting a room at the 7 month mark we are using points to stay there. I just see it as having more cash to splurge on other luxuries.

I plan to reserve at least one half day in a cabana at the courtyard pool. My question is, can you order room service to the cabanas? I know they have a limited menu available for runners to get for you, but we love the food from the GF Café (cobb salad). In room dining is about the same menu as the Café, so I am sure they are the kitchen used for room service. We would love to enjoy one of their salads pool side.

Thanks all, I am sure I will be around for the next couple of months gathering tidbits to make this stay special.

Laura

Many congratulation's on your 35th anniversary! What a terrific tradition celebrating those milestones in such a Grand way!! :goodvibes As to your PD question...We have ordered private dining to be delivered to a few different places at the GF so I don't think that it should be an issue....BTW..the cobb salad is on the private dining menu...I just checked..:thumbsup2 A cabana day is such a nice way to spend some time pool side..Enjoy! :boat:

Hope that everyone is having a wonderful weekend! :earsgirl: preppy GF gal who is thinking about one of those yummy cobb salads thanks to Lauralea!

Last edited:
In celebration of having booked my FPs, here is more photo love for the Grand. The food photos are from SL. 60 days!

DSC_4961 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_7263 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_7265 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_4969 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5568 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5127 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5005 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5095 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3972 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3971 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3311 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_3309 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_2734 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_2507 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_1706 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

GV rooms at the GF all have very lovely views....of either gardens..lol...or of the marina...yes those are considered GV rooms too....I personally think that Boca Chica is a great outer building..its more centrally located on the property..although it is a relatively small property ..and everything is in pretty close proximity...but BC over looks the courtyard pool and is close to the boat dock..which is very convenient when returning to the GF from the MK...not to mention the lovely views across the courtyard to the main building...Sago is my least favorite...although there are some other posters who do favor it...I see that VS85 is...and with a wonderful description of why...for us it seems a bit more far removed from everything than the other outer buildings....JMO...No matter where you choose.... I am sure that you and your family will enjoy...The GF really is such a beautiful resort! :cloud9: BTW..beautiful pics of your family in your signature....

VS85 Thanks for that terrific Sago review....It gave me a different perspective on what a stay in Sago is like...::yes::

Thanks very much! :)

Thanks.

We have a Garden View Outer Building booked - any suggestions on what building we should request?

Love the thought of that balcony too.

Defintely Sago -- we love staying there -- the view of the Marina is part of the "garden view" group, and the location is really nice -- you can cut through between the Convention Center and the main building to get to the bus too.

Tom

Hi guys! We are going back to the Grand Floridian in October. We check into the GF on a Sunday. It is cheaper for us to fly out Saturday evening, by about $350. Does anyone recommend checking into a value or moderate on Saturday night and then heading to the Grand Sunday morning? That way we could still use magical express from the airport? Am I making sense? Is this a terrible idea? I thought I would ask here because everyone is so nice and helpful on this thread. Thanks! The GF is $600 on Saturday night, so a room only reservation there isn't really saving!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter