(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
followthatmouse I had the crab cake, very good!!

Blue nothing wrong with thinking of Trifle & Cobb salad all day lol! I may have to fit that salad in this next trip!

Tony609, Mizner's is a lounge on the 2nd Floor of the Main Building.

Sue M, I had the Citrus Chicken sandwich. It was very tasty and not too heavy. Just right for a pool day.

as others have said...the buildings at the GF are all in close proximity to each other and to the main building...vacationing with a 5 years old..I would absolutely recommend SL as the best CL for your family...its steps from the courtyard pool..and equal distance from the boat dock..a great way to travel back from the MK..and the main building and the monorail station...and the lounge being right in the lobby of the building make grabbing a snack or drink while coming or going very easy....and being as centrally located as it is on the property ( there is a map on page 1) should make it relatively easy for your DH to keep his bearings...Have a great trip! :goodvibes

I forgot about the five year old! Staying in SL may indeed be better since it's so close to the pool. Since mine are older now, I tend to forget that with younger children, you may not be able to relax and enjoy the band. Then again, they do have a tv in the kids area to keep them occupied -lol:) As for the BC, I had a great time, and that pool is the best...but I still think GF is my favorite. I have to admit that the Nantucket Suite is absolutely gorgeous!! Teena took us on a tour:) I posted some pictures of it on the BC thread. But when we had dinner at Narcoosee's our last night and the band played a song for me, I knew that GF is really where I want to be!
I'm a little confused about the piano/band in the lobby. Do they play throughout the day? Or just 4-10?

From what I can tell, Mizner's is open until midnight but the band stops at 10:00. Is that correct?
Just 4-10...the pianist starts at 3.

I just changed my bounceback from WL CL to Sugar Loaf, so I am here to sadly bid farewell to the Lodge for its several years of construction, but gladly tuck in at the Grand for a late summer fabulous girlfriends trip. I cleverly convinced two of my girlfriends to join me for part of my 11 night trip that starts right after Trisha and her awesome daughter leave. I was really sad to miss seeing Trisha again, but one morning recently I was suddenly inspired by the idea of a girl's trip with my friends Lauren and Christy. We've been on a bunch of Disney trips together in Europe and California, and even on one of the Podcast cruises, but have barely spent time together at World. In fact, I don't think Christy and I have ever been there at the same time.

Being terrific friends, they immediately said yes when I proposed that they join me, and so we are on for the best time ever. With three of us it had to be either a deluxe room at the Lodge or switching to the Grand and I'm so construction shy that I decided I felt better about switching and not having to worry (I hope!) about destruction/construction. The Poly is still out for me until everything is done over there. My city has massive construction everywhere constantly now and I want to be somewhere calm, quiet and gorgeous. This is also the first time in a long time I've done a long stay without a resort switch, and I'm looking forward to not having to pack up and change resorts.

My friends haven't stayed at the Grand before so I am really looking forward to their experience as well as my own. In celebration of this moment, here are some photos. Trisha sweetly asked to see some of the old pictures a while ago, and I finally had enough time to upload some photos to Flickr to port over here.

DSC_6893 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5665 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6882 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5675 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5658 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6010 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5673 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5882 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5883 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_4943 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5205 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5364 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5198 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6894 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6897 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thank you to all who took the time to offer their sympathies. Even though my mother was 90 and well deserving of going on to a better place, we still miss her.

Here's my next question . . . Such a last minute trip didn't get me any discounts and I could have gotten Standard room CL (outer building, I think) or Outer Building TPV. I didn't know if I'd feel self-conscious in the lounge solo so went with theme park view. What would you have done? As I debated I tried to decide if I'd look like a sophisticated mystery writer alone on holiday or a frumpy matron who spent my lottery winnings on one night at the GF.

I just changed my bounceback from WL CL to Sugar Loaf, so I am here to sadly bid farewell to the Lodge for its several years of construction, but gladly tuck in at the Grand for a late summer fabulous girlfriends trip. I cleverly convinced two of my girlfriends to join me for part of my 11 night trip that starts right after Trisha and her awesome daughter leave.
heather, what are your dates? we are at poly 8/19-26.

aboveH20, i am so sorry for your loss. my mom died very unexpectedly a year and a half ago and it changed our lives tremendously even though i vowed that i wouldn't let it. my heart really goes out to you.

i 110% vote for you to stay club level. you will not feel weird in the lounge at all. we always travel as a family but have several times split up and eaten alone in the CL lounges (for example, one of us is hungry and no one else is, or one is ready way before everyone else) and to be honest, it is lovely. it is so peaceful and relaxing (i have only stayed main building but i assume outer building is similar). the CL staff really take care of you. if i were staying alone i would definitely choose CL. you will definitely not feel out of place at all and it is so nice to have all of that food available as well as the lounge space.

heather, what are your dates? we are at poly 8/19-26.

i 110% vote for you to stay club level. you will not feel weird in the lounge at all. we always travel as a family but have several times split up and eaten alone in the CL lounges (for example, one of us is hungry and no one else is, or one is ready way before everyone else) and to be honest, it is lovely. it is so peaceful and relaxing (i have only stayed main building but i assume outer building is similar). the CL staff really take care of you. if i were staying alone i would definitely choose CL. you will definitely not feel out of place at all and it is so nice to have all of that food available as well as the lounge space.

I arrive on the 28th - I'm so sorry we won't get to meet this trip!

I agree with Beth about the lounge experience. I've stayed solo CL many times and it is completely lovely. I loved hanging out in the Old Faithful Club with my book and coffee, looking out at Bay Lake. At SL I tend to just pick up what I want from the lounge and take it back to my balcony.

Morning Everyone!!!

My inability to multiquote this morning is going to make this difficult!!! :badpc:

AbvoveH20 - I am so sorry for your loss!! I am sure the Grand will be the perfect place to reflect and relax!!:hug:

Grannyminnie - Hey there!!! Nice to see you here too!!:wave2:

VS85 - Awesome!! I think I am right behind you with my trip!!

Circusgirl - GREAT PICS!!! Thanks!!

Tony609 - Mizner's lounge is behind the band and opens at 4:00. I wish it opened a little earlier. Its been packed since the villa's opened, it used to be a little easier to get a seat. Check it out, it has an amazing view of the property and a great staff.

Ahcupcake - Hey my friend!!:wave2:

Blue - Woo Hoo, leaving soon!!!:banana:

Trisha sweetly asked to see some of the old pictures a while ago
I was busy booking our FP+ this morning and then found your pix :worship:

My fav was the one from the boat of the dock, felt like I was there.

Thanks for taking the time to post!!!

I'm thankful to have an original "portrait " of dd and I you took of us.:)

Glad you switched, I think for summer its a great location. For the 3rd time I had to move dates due to kids schedules BUT still going so fine with me!!!

What makes the deluxe rooms deluxe club level in the main building? I am thinking of making the switch like @Circusgirl to GF from WL. I am torn. I am trying to find the best option for a little section off to the side to put my son in his pack and play for sleeping.

We are thinking of either a DVC villa rental or just booking a hotel room for next April for a few nights.

Any recommendations on which is the best of the outer buildings. I am not sure if any have had a refurb recently.

I belong to this one Disney group on FB and a fellow member is there now at the GF and she had some major pixie dust...So these pics are courtesy of
Kristi Walker...She & her family were pixie dusted with the Cape Coral Suite, so I'm sharing her pics...Someone correct me if I'm wrong I think the Cape Coral Suite is located in Sago Cay

What an awesome upgrade!!! Great pics, ahcupcake, thanks for sharing :flower3:.

Thank you to all who took the time to offer their sympathies. Even though my mother was 90 and well deserving of going on to a better place, we still miss her.

:grouphug:

I am soaking up all this info!!! You people are full of helpful things. I can't wait until September and my trip. We're staying in an outer bldg CL and today put a request in for 3rd floor. Hoping for an awesome view. I also just reworked my schedule so we have more resort time and can take advantage of the lounge.

September will be here before you know it ::yes::. I wouldn't worry about the view. Having stayed GF SL, the views are either of the marina or the courtyard, both of which are great, IMO :goodvibes.

Just booked a cabana for two days of our trip! Thanks everyone for all the advice about the cabanas. I'll take pics to post when I come back. A little luxury by the pool is the icing on the cake for this vacation :) 35 more days!

:yay:

Can't wait to see your pics and hear all about your trip when you return :goodvibes.

We love a cabana day. I took quite a few pics. I think one or two of our posters were wondering about food options. I looked through my photos and found a couple of relevant pics ... I hope. They include food and beverage menus (I hope they are legible), the fruit selection in the cabana and my boxed sandwich (delicious) from the lunch menu.

View attachment 102363
View attachment 102364
View attachment 102365
View attachment 102366

Love the pics, thanks for posting :).

I just changed my bounceback from WL CL to Sugar Loaf, so I am here to sadly bid farewell to the Lodge for its several years of construction, but gladly tuck in at the Grand for a late summer fabulous girlfriends trip.

My friends haven't stayed at the Grand before so I am really looking forward to their experience as well as my own. In celebration of this moment, here are some photos. Trisha sweetly asked to see some of the old pictures a while ago, and I finally had enough time to upload some photos to Flickr to port over here.

DSC_6893 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5665 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6882 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5675 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5658 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6010 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5673 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5882 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5883 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_4943 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5205 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5364 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_5198 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6894 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

DSC_6897 by Circusgirl23, on Flickr

Sounds like a great trip, you and your friends are going to have a great time :wizard:. Thanks for posting the beautiful pics, makes me wish I was there now :cloud9:.

Gorgeous pics, Circusgirl! A lovely GF feast.

:thumbsup2

What makes the deluxe rooms deluxe club level in the main building? I am thinking of making the switch like @Circusgirl to GF from WL. I am torn. I am trying to find the best option for a little section off to the side to put my son in his pack and play for sleeping.

The deluxe rooms are quite a bit larger than standard (around 600 sq ft compared to around 400 sq ft). I looked back in this thread and on page 103, post #2058 (animalkingdom15) there are a couple of pics of an RPC deluxe king. HTH :).

We are thinking of either a DVC villa rental or just booking a hotel room for next April for a few nights.

Any recommendations on which is the best of the outer buildings. I am not sure if any have had a refurb recently.

All rooms have been refurbed as the GF went through an extensive refurb last year. As far as which building is best, that is a personal preference, but my two favorite outer buildings are Big Pine Key and Boca Chica. Both overlook the courtyard pool and while BPK is closer to the main building and beach pool, BC isn't that much farther. With that said, the GF isn't as spread out as it seems and while some buildings are closer to the main areas than others, none of them are far away. Sago Cay and Conch Key are closer to Gasparillas and bus/boat transportation, while BPK and BC are closer to the main building/beach pool. HTH :wizard:.

Morning everyone!!!

Mizners doesn't take reservations right? Tips to get a seat? How is the food?

Good questions!! I'd love to know tips for getting seats as well!

In all the times I've sat in there, I have never seen anyone tip to get a seat. There is nothing they can do if there is nothing available. However, we have had the staff help move a couple of heavy chairs for us and we just tipped generously after we had a drink.

The menu is small and portions are small, but very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter