• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we’re possibly looking at booking gf sugarloaf for our September vacation and this may be a silly question but are there any reports how they handled hurricane Irma or gf in general during last year. I tried searching but I didn’t have much luck.
Let’s put it this way if there is a hurricane Disney is where you’d want to be, we were one of the first few flights back into MCO after Irma and stayed at the Poly and stopped over to GF several times and they did excellent with clean up and such...IMO!!

I'll be honest. I was just there on the spring break. I was kinda annoyed they would choose such a busy time to power wash and paint during such a busy week. I thought it was a really poor choice to be honest...was kinda surprised they would do it then.

I think painting needs to happen at a specific temperature and humidity level. So warm, sunny spring days might be their best option. Just a guess.

So we’re possibly looking at booking gf sugarloaf for our September vacation and this may be a silly question but are there any reports how they handled hurricane Irma or gf in general during last year. I tried searching but I didn’t have much luck.
I didn't see anything either I can think of. However as the flagship resort I can't think of a better place to be with bad weather :thumbsup2

Just got back from my vacation and it was the best trip ever!!! I'm even more in love with the GF than I was our last trip. We visited the Poly, AK, YC and BC during our stay. Nothing holds a candle to the GF. I can't wait to go back!! We'd maybe consider AK for another trip, MAYBE. I used to be a die hard Poly fan but after walking over twice at different times of they day, it's just not the same Poly it used to be. *sob*

Anyway, I can't say enough positive things about the staff and our experience there.
You are correct we were also die hard Poly fans. Not any longer it is not the same Poly....so sad

I can’t speak for the hurricane but I remember back in July when my flight kept getting moved out due to weather they mentioned that they offer a lower rate if I was stuck/flight cancelled.

Hey you!! :hug: Hope that you are enjoying your trip!! Would love to see some of those beautiful photos that you take..you always capture the grand essence of the resort! :goodvibes ..but only if you have a bit of time..Don't want to take time away from enjoying your vacay...
:earsgirl:

Just one more week 'til we reach nirvana ... um, I mean the GF ... :D :cloud9: Then, Blue, I think we can handle a pic or three!

:wave2: Hi Blue! Yep, all about the food and shopping, lol. Guess who’s going to DL Sunday? ::yes:: And it’s Pixar Fest and Starwars Day during our trip. Should be some good food and shopping! Lol.

Sue! Now, that's a weekend! Well done! :darth::chewy:

I think painting needs to happen at a specific temperature and humidity level. So warm, sunny spring days might be their best option. Just a guess.

I thought that. Just was literally Easter and that week of Spring break so it seemed like a poor choice to me. During all the outdoor activities, etc, did they have sections roped off around the GFC and stroller walkway had wet paint signs on and off all week, with tons of little kids running around. Just had to be a better time, although I realize it's busy all the time.

Just got back from my vacation and it was the best trip ever!!! I'm even more in love with the GF than I was our last trip. We visited the Poly, AK, YC and BC during our stay. Nothing holds a candle to the GF. I can't wait to go back!! We'd maybe consider AK for another trip, MAYBE. I used to be a die hard Poly fan but after walking over twice at different times of they day, it's just not the same Poly it used to be. *sob*

Anyway, I can't say enough positive things about the staff and our experience there.

What bothered you when you visited the POLY? We are also POLY fans, with our first stay at GF this month. I did find GF much more spacious, especially the pool areas.

What bothered you when you visited the POLY? We are also POLY fans, with our first stay at GF this month. I did find GF much more spacious, especially the pool areas.
For me it’s the bungalows. Took away the beautiful panoramic views on the beach, and a lot of beach real estate. I used to love having my afternoon rest swaying in a beach hammock under a palm tree. Also loved the movies on the beach, relaxing comfortably in a lounge while watching a movie. Now they’ve moved the movies to AstroTurf by lobby, no chairs, have to sit on the ground, uncomfortable.
Poly just isn’t the same.

For me it’s the bungalows. Took away the beautiful panoramic views on the beach, and a lot of beach real estate. I used to love having my afternoon rest swaying in a beach hammock under a palm tree. Also loved the movies on the beach, relaxing comfortably in a lounge while watching a movie. Now they’ve moved the movies to AstroTurf by lobby, no chairs, have to sit on the ground, uncomfortable.
Poly just isn’t the same.

Do you think they did this to move people away from the sand/water at night? I would think so. At GF movies are on the lawn by the quiet pool.

I typed, deleted, typed and deleted again. I'd prefer not to answer. I don't want to anger the Tiki gods. It's not my cup of tea anymore. But Loud and crowded are part of it. If someone loves the place then they should just keep loving it. I'm going to stay at the GF and maybe try AKL.

Last edited:
Let’s put it this way if there is a hurricane Disney is where you’d want to be, we were one of the first few flights back into MCO after Irma and stayed at the Poly and stopped over to GF several times and they did excellent with clean up and such...IMO!!
Yes, I agree. Last year Irma was coming. We were staying at a beach hotel in Ft Lauderdale, and kept constant watch on Irma and projected land fall. I thought if we couldn’t make it out I’d try to get a room at wdw. I’d feel totally safe there. Luckily for us our scheduled flight left 2 days before Irma hit Florida. We were headed to DL!

I have been stocking up on Disney gift cards from target. Are you able to put one on file for incidentals at the hotel?
How do you do this? Do I just go to customer service? Or in the regular checkout line? I'm new to this concept. Can you help?

How do you do this? Do I just go to customer service? Or in the regular checkout line? I'm new to this concept. Can you help?
Since GF eliminated concierge desk to the right in lobby and combined it with check in, I guess you’d go to check in line.
I use gift cards in WDW, but I just use them to pay directly at restaurant or gift shop. It’s a great way to track spending as you get a running balance with each transaction.

Question- what is the benefit of this? Is it just to start "paying off" some of the trip ahead of time? Just curious. Also, anywhere you can buy Disney GS for less than face value and save even more $?

I am glad I have had a chance to read through these posts. I have been having a hard time getting excited for our Thanksgiving trip as I mentioned initially, it is bitter sweet as it is the one year anniversary of my dad passing :( I am also in the middle of planning for my son's Bar Mizvah which is 10 days before we leave for our WDW trip so feeling really overwhelmed. Reading through these has reignited a little excitement for our trip!

We have an Outer Bldg Theme Park View reserved. Anything I should know or request? Which buildings on the map would this room type be? There are 4 of us- husband, 11 year-old and 13 year-old- so distance is no issue in terms of walking around, etc. We will be there 11/20-11/26. Thanks for any recs.

Since GF eliminated concierge desk to the right in lobby and combined it with check in, I guess you’d go to check in line.
I use gift cards in WDW, but I just use them to pay directly at restaurant or gift shop. It’s a great way to track spending as you get a running balance with each transaction.
I didn't make myself clear, I guess.

How do you do this at Target? :)

I am glad I have had a chance to read through these posts. I have been having a hard time getting excited for our Thanksgiving trip as I mentioned initially, it is bitter sweet as it is the one year anniversary of my dad passing :( I am also in the middle of planning for my son's Bar Mizvah which is 10 days before we leave for our WDW trip so feeling really overwhelmed. Reading through these has reignited a little excitement for our trip!

We have an Outer Bldg Theme Park View reserved. Anything I should know or request? Which buildings on the map would this room type be? There are 4 of us- husband, 11 year-old and 13 year-old- so distance is no issue in terms of walking around, etc. We will be there 11/20-11/26. Thanks for any recs.
I took my mom in December to Disney to help after a year without dad. The first year is so hard on everyone.

GF is a great place to make some happy memories.

That is the only category I havent done at gf/ std tpv.

I think however I would want Conch. The end of the building faces MK and is convenient to boat, courtyard pool and not too far from everything else.

Wonder what other suggestions youll get? Someone else that has stayed in one should be more helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter