(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
You will have to tell someone that you are checking in CL. They will not know who you are if arriving from a park. They only would know when you get on ME or go through the gate if driving. I'm not sure they will text you your room number before you physically check in...I know some resorts do but it hasn't been our experience with CL at the Grand. Maybe you or DH could run over to the Grand and check in while the other stays in the MK with the kids??? You may even get lucky and your room will be ready early. We've had rooms as early as 7 AM and as late as 4 PM, it all depends on how busy the resort is.
Good idea about one of them running over to GF to check in. I forgot something once and just took the boat across to GF and then the monorail back...it didn't take me long at all! I've never done online check-in, so I've only received the room ready text after I had already checked in in person. Others on the DIS have talked about doing online check-in, receiving a text, and then going straight to their room, but I'm not sure how this works with CL??

Is anyone having any luck getting the Play Stay Dine or room discount for their Winter trip? My TA told me the GF was already sold out--Main Building CL (Jan. 26 to Feb. 1). Just wondering.

Is anyone having any luck getting the Play Stay Dine or room discount for their Winter trip? My TA told me the GF was already sold out--Main Building CL (Jan. 26 to Feb. 1). Just wondering.

I'm showing Deluxe King is available for Play Stay Dine, Standard room is available for Room only discount

Thanks everyone for your replies. I ended up having to call IPO anyway today to coordinate a gift I'm having delivered. While I was on the phone I asked out the check in process and how it would work since we are coming from a park. I was told I should receive a text when the room is ready. I can reply to the text to let them know we are coming, go to the main lobby and ask for concierge there, or go straight to the room since I will have the room number (providing I am texted before we leave MK). I'm not sure if I want to go right to the room. I like to speak with someone, so I feel like its official we are checked in. If we don't receive a text prior to leaving the park, I'll just go to the main lobby to speak with someone. If I do receive a text, I will most likely reply to it and go from there. I was also advised to change my check in time online to earlier that morning. I originally had it set for after lunch for when I thought we would be at GF. All of our tickets and dining is tied to this reservation so (I was told) changing the time to earlier in the morning will allow me access to our dining credits, and fastpasses upon entering MK. I spoke with Don and he was beyond helpful. It's CM like him that make CL seem worth it!

I thought I just read (can't remember which site) that GF is not part of that deal.

My Grand groupies will get this....so DH and I are booked at SL, I have been feverishly stalking the website for RPC availability with the AP rate. He sold one of his cars so we had a little leftover and I got the thumbs up to upgrade us. OF COURSE IT IS NOT AVAILABLE well it is at rack rate, but no way Jose that is Santa money :) Ah, I will continue to stalk away LOL. Meanwhile, everyone please keep posting those GF pics....35 days!

My Grand groupies will get this....so DH and I are booked at SL, I have been feverishly stalking the website for RPC availability with the AP rate. He sold one of his cars so we had a little leftover and I got the thumbs up to upgrade us. OF COURSE IT IS NOT AVAILABLE well it is at rack rate, but no way Jose that is Santa money :) Ah, I will continue to stalk away LOL. Meanwhile, everyone please keep posting those GF pics....35 days!
I'll be there soon, and I'll post tons of pics :D! Good luck with your RPC discount! I tried to get a discount applied to my February RPC king deluxe with the RO rate yesterday, but I guess I was too late. They only had the Deluxe Queen available, and it only saved me $330 off rack rate. I know that's significant, but I want the king since it's just me and DH for that trip, so I'm holding out for an AP discount...hope it works!

I'll be there soon, and I'll post tons of pics :D! Good luck with your RPC discount! I tried to get a discount applied to my February RPC king deluxe with the RO rate yesterday, but I guess I was too late. They only had the Deluxe Queen available, and it only saved me $330 off rack rate. I know that's significant, but I want the king since it's just me and DH for that trip, so I'm holding out for an AP discount...hope it works!
I did score it once the night before we left. And then we were walked to YC LOL...so it may be that RPC isn't meant to be. And if it happens again my DH will NEVER let me live it down. You have to see the texts I am getting this morning. No main building for you (which I read in the Seinfeld Soup Nazi voice) Something will open up for you and your DH, because I am sure people booked yesterday but their plans will ch-ch-change ;)

I did score it once the night before we left. And then we were walked to YC LOL...so it may be that RPC isn't meant to be. And if it happens again my DH will NEVER let me live it down. You have to see the texts I am getting this morning. No main building for you (which I read in the Seinfeld Soup Nazi voice) Something will open up for you and your DH, because I am sure people booked yesterday but their plans will ch-ch-change ;)
I'm hoping the AP rate is better anyway. $335 isn't a very good discount...certainly not enough to give up the king deluxe for our anniversary trip! LOL - you and your changes;) All I have to do is find someone like you, and I'll get a discount, huh?? BTW, I liked the soup nazi voice... I read you post that way:)

Well i just booked a split with BWI and BC CL so i am frantically trying to learn not one but 2 new resorts. Crazy me likes to memorize room numbers! At least for BC cl that's one small floor but still, so much to learn!

Anyways, anybody know when the gingerbread house is up this year? I haven't seen dates yet but then again i haven't looked either!:o

We are having a 'grand' stay. My favorite thing is lying in bed while my toddler sleeps listening to the band/paino playing each evening. It is so wonderful to hear from our room. I wondered if it would be a problem for sleeping but we sleep with a white noise machine (app on our phone) so when we are ready we turn that on and it tunes out the lobby music. We are loving it here and I think we are going to switch our May stay to being here instead of the poly. The Club staff have been amazing - although we haven't eaten as much as I thought we would. None of my room requests were received- close to lounge on 4th floor, view of MK preferred. We are on the 5th floor, with a bay lake view, but without any sight of the MK. Anyway we are all really enjoying ourselves. Here's a pic of my son lounging with some quiet time earlier. (That pic is posting twice and I can't figure out how to undo it.) the 2nd shot is a view from one of our windows.
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:
We are having a 'grand' stay. My favorite thing is lying in bed whileu toddler sleeps listening to the band/paino playing ea h evening. It is so wonderful to hear from our room. I wondered if it would be a problem for sleeping but we sleep with a white noise machine (app on our phone) so when we are ready we turn that on and it tunes out the lobby music. We are loving it here and I think we are going to switch out May stay to being here instead of the poly. The Club staff have been amazing - although we haven't eaten as much as I thought we would. None of my room requests were received- close to lounge or 4th floor, view of MK preferred. We are on the 5th floor, with a bay lake view, but without any sight of the MK. Anyway we are all really enjoying ourselves. Here's a pic of my son lounging with some quiet time earlier. (That pic is posting twice and I can't figure out how to undo it.) the 2nd shot is a view from one of our windows.
View attachment 126478 View attachment 126478 View attachment 126479
Are you in 4030? We had the deluxe king 5th floor back towards the monorail. The ceiling height was amazing!!!

That room is much nicer than the deluxe king I got on the 2nd floor with a tree in front of it so enjoy!

Your little guy is so cute. Thanks for sharing:)

Can you share some details of your trip when you get a chance? We love hearing about the GF!

DGF and I had a great trip this past week to The Grand Floridian. This was my first time staying on property - previously I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort in Lake Buena Vista. Since this was my first time staying "in the world," I decided to go all out and spring for a Royal Palm Club room in the main building.

Check In & Room Assignment

I booked a main building - standard room type, but was upgraded upon check-in to a deluxe king room with a theme park view. This was really a magical moment, a big thanks to Sophie at the front desk! Shortly after I checked in at the front desk, a RPC concierge greeted me by name in the main lobby, and took us upstairs. We had a few snacks while the concierge briefed us on RPC amenities, Resort activities and dining options.

We were assigned room 4208, on the Clarendon Level, located directly above Gasparilla Island Grill. The RPC concierge referred to this as a "hidden level," and admittedly I was a bit confused when reading "2nd floor" on our room assignment text. I wasn't aware of the Clarendon level prior to our stay. There were things we liked and disliked about this room:

We Loved:
  • View of the Castle/Wishes Fireworks
  • Immediate proximity to the pool elevator. We did not have to walk through the main lobby or RPC lounge after our afternoon/evening visits to the pool and hot tub.
  • Immediate proximity to the main building laundry. We love keeping our clothes "Gain Fresh," so this was a nice amenity.
  • The quiet hallway.
We Didn't Love:
  • Taking 2 elevators to get to our room from the Monorail (#FirstWorldProblems...)
  • The "burnt cheese" smell from Gasparilla Island Grill in the elevator.
  • The kitchen smells from Citricos/Victoria & Albert's in the hallway.
Resort Dining

During our trip, we dined at Citricos, had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, enjoyed afternoon tea at The Garden View Tea Room, and gave the Grand Floridian Cafe a second chance after a terrible experience this past March. I'm happy to say that all of these dining experiences were top notch, matching the level of service we experienced elsewhere at The Grand. When we return in September 2016, we'll definitely be trying Narcoossee's and Victoria & Albert's. I even gained a taste for two of the resort's "signature" drinks during our stay - The Mizner Cooler (Gin, St. Germain, Lime Juice, Simple Syrup) from Mizner's Lounge, and the Key Lime Whip (Skyy Citrus Vodka, Key Lime Juice, Vanilla Ice Cream) from Beaches Pool Bar & Grill. We were, however, disappointed with the late-night pizza we ordered from Gasparilla Island Grill. It was, quite frankly, one of the grossest food items I've ever had on Disney Property.

Royal Palm Club

Having visited The Grand on prior trips to Disney, I was well aware of the lobby culture attached to this hotel. I am a musician by trade, so naturally, the lobby pianist and society orchestra really make this resort one of my all-time favorites. In my research of Disney's various concierge experiences, I found RPC to be the most appealing, and thus, most worth the extra expense. DGF and I enjoyed waking up to the beautiful breakfast spread each morning (especially the Citrus Muffins,) and returning in the evenings for delicious hors d'oeuvres. Our most favorite amenity, and possibly a new tradition of ours, was sneaking back to our room with Champagne and a plate of Strawberry Uncrustables to watch the fireworks. The RPC lounge is made extra special because of it's vantage point to the lobby and all that goes on there. Having experienced it for a week, I would argue that RPC was entirely worth the extra expense.

Conclusion

On previous trips, I've done 4 parks in 4 days, trying to get as much done as possible in a small timeframe. This trip, however, was our chance to "stop and smell the roses." We took 7 days and 6 nights to soak in the magic, and I'm so glad that we did. DGF and I paced ourselves in the parks, enjoyed a great selection of ADRs, attended Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (loved it,) and really took time to enjoy The Grand Floridian to its fullest. You could stay at The Four Seasons for the same money, or spend half and stay at The Ritz, but you can't really put a price on watching Wishes from the hot tub after a long day at the park.

As a kid, I'd always dreamed of staying at The Grand Floridian, and I finally got around to doing it this year. Every bit of it, from the excellent service, high victorian styling, beautiful landscaping, and the amazing lobby smell left me looking forward to our next trip. The Grand is now our "home," and I can't wait to be back!

DGF and I had a great trip this past week to The Grand Floridian. This was my first time staying on property - previously I've stayed at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress Resort in Lake Buena Vista. Since this was my first time staying "in the world," I decided to go all out and spring for a Royal Palm Club room in the main building.

Check In & Room Assignment

I booked a main building - standard room type, but was upgraded upon check-in to a deluxe king room with a theme park view. This was really a magical moment, a big thanks to Sophie at the front desk! Shortly after I checked in at the front desk, a RPC concierge greeted me by name in the main lobby, and took us upstairs. We had a few snacks while the concierge briefed us on RPC amenities, Resort activities and dining options.

We were assigned room 4208, on the Clarendon Level, located directly above Gasparilla Island Grill. The RPC concierge referred to this as a "hidden level," and admittedly I was a bit confused when reading "2nd floor" on our room assignment text. I wasn't aware of the Clarendon level prior to our stay. There were things we liked and disliked about this room:

We Loved:
  • View of the Castle/Wishes Fireworks
  • Immediate proximity to the pool elevator. We did not have to walk through the main lobby or RPC lounge after our afternoon/evening visits to the pool and hot tub.
  • Immediate proximity to the main building laundry. We love keeping our clothes "Gain Fresh," so this was a nice amenity.
  • The quiet hallway.
We Didn't Love:
  • Taking 2 elevators to get to our room from the Monorail (#FirstWorldProblems...)
  • The "burnt cheese" smell from Gasparilla Island Grill in the elevator.
  • The kitchen smells from Citricos/Victoria & Albert's in the hallway.
Resort Dining

During our trip, we dined at Citricos, had breakfast at 1900 Park Fare, enjoyed afternoon tea at The Garden View Tea Room, and gave the Grand Floridian Cafe a second chance after a terrible experience this past March. I'm happy to say that all of these dining experiences were top notch, matching the level of service we experienced elsewhere at The Grand. When we return in September 2016, we'll definitely be trying Narcoossee's and Victoria & Albert's. I even gained a taste for two of the resort's "signature" drinks during our stay - The Mizner Cooler (Gin, St. Germain, Lime Juice, Simple Syrup) from Mizner's Lounge, and the Key Lime Whip (Skyy Citrus Vodka, Key Lime Juice, Vanilla Ice Cream) from Beaches Pool Bar & Grill. We were, however, disappointed with the late-night pizza we ordered from Gasparilla Island Grill. It was, quite frankly, one of the grossest food items I've ever had on Disney Property.

Royal Palm Club

Having visited The Grand on prior trips to Disney, I was well aware of the lobby culture attached to this hotel. I am a musician by trade, so naturally, the lobby pianist and society orchestra really make this resort one of my all-time favorites. In my research of Disney's various concierge experiences, I found RPC to be the most appealing, and thus, most worth the extra expense. DGF and I enjoyed waking up to the beautiful breakfast spread each morning (especially the Citrus Muffins,) and returning in the evenings for delicious hors d'oeuvres. Our most favorite amenity, and possibly a new tradition of ours, was sneaking back to our room with Champagne and a plate of Strawberry Uncrustables to watch the fireworks. The RPC lounge is made extra special because of it's vantage point to the lobby and all that goes on there. Having experienced it for a week, I would argue that RPC was entirely worth the extra expense.

Conclusion

On previous trips, I've done 4 parks in 4 days, trying to get as much done as possible in a small timeframe. This trip, however, was our chance to "stop and smell the roses." We took 7 days and 6 nights to soak in the magic, and I'm so glad that we did. DGF and I paced ourselves in the parks, enjoyed a great selection of ADRs, attended Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party (loved it,) and really took time to enjoy The Grand Floridian to its fullest. You could stay at The Four Seasons for the same money, or spend half and stay at The Ritz, but you can't really put a price on watching Wishes from the hot tub after a long day at the park.

As a kid, I'd always dreamed of staying at The Grand Floridian, and I finally got around to doing it this year. Every bit of it, from the excellent service, high victorian styling, beautiful landscaping, and the amazing lobby smell left me looking forward to our next trip. The Grand is now our "home," and I can't wait to be back!
I agree with your points about the 2nd floor. Overall though the view was very nice.

Champagne and Uncrustables! My daughter loves that combo as well :thumbsup2:goodvibes:rotfl2:

Well i just booked a split with BWI and BC CL so i am frantically trying to learn not one but 2 new resorts. Crazy me likes to memorize room numbers! At least for BC cl that's one small floor but still, so much to learn!

Anyways, anybody know when the gingerbread house is up this year? I haven't seen dates yet but then again i haven't looked either!:o
Trish, you're getting waaay ahead of me! I'm still without a trip planned at this moment, either to DL or WDW. I hate not having a vacation ticker, but the current discounts are AWFUL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter