(2014-2020) Disney's GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA + VILLAS Information & Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Grand is the most beautiful resort on property during the holidays, in my opinion. It's also magical because you'll be able to see the castle lit up with all the lights from the resort. We were there last December, and it was the best trip ever.

Another transplant from the WL. We were booked for 11/28 - 12/3 and my TA emailed yesterday to say Disney was offering to switch us (at the same price) over to GF LV to avoid the construction. Woo-hoo!

Now, I was looking forward to WL, especially at Christmas. I think that would've been lovely. But, if Disney is moving people over to more expensive rooms for no additional cost, I have to imagine the construction will be pretty disruptive.

So, now we are on the monorail in a larger room at an absolutely beautiful resort. No complaints here! Looking forward to our GF stay.

Glad you're looking forward to your GF stay. You can't beat getting a GF LV room for the price of a WL room!

You will love the GF! The WL is amazing at Christmas time, but the GF is amazing as well. The GF lobby does get a lot more hectic (IMO) as everyone flocks there to see the gingerbread house, but it is also very festive :santa:.

The Fall RO offers are out...

Editing this post because for some reason when I looked on my phone the days didn't seem to include the week before Thanksgiving but when I pulled it up on the website it does - sorry for any confusion with my original post! Not sure what that was about - weird!

But on MDE it wouldn't let me apply the discount to my room category for either the FO RO or package deal. I'm on the phone now though to see! Wish me luck!

Last edited:
So - here's my situation now with the special offers released today. I can stay in my current room in the main building which is the king deluxe CL and pay full price or I can switch to the outer building SL and save $2,836. I can also reschedule my trip for January 2016 when I would hope I could get 30% for the room category we want, although I could end up wrong about that. And in January we won't get to enjoy the pool because then it is a little too cold for our tastes. November is pushing it for the pool but if it's in the high 70's, low 80's during the day then we will be OK in the sun. It's just that GF is a splurge for us and I really wanted to go all out with staying in the main building RPC. I'd even go to a standard CL room if it was included in the discount, but it's not.

I'm not paying rack rate. I love WDW but none of the rooms are worth rack rate, IMO. But, I've been spoiled because the last 4-5 trips they've always released a discount that I could easily apply to my reservation. So this is the first time I planned this far ahead (in order to secure a hard to get room) and then ended up disappointed :guilty:

I could also wait another month and see if I get a UOC, or if a bunch of other people cancel and more rooms open up under the offers, but I don't see that happening and then I might miss being able to get an outer building CL room with a discount. I did ask the CM if either my DH or I had a UOC attached to our name and she said I did not and neither did my DH or she'd see it under our reservation. But I didn't think that was the case? In the past when I've called for him they always asked his email to see if it was attached to his email and not our address? Of course, things could have changed in their system. I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and my DH would have gotten an offer and accidentally deleted it in his email but it'd be in the system this morning (wishful thinking).

Tough decisions...what a bummer to start out this Monday morning!

Honestly though, life could be much worse so I should still be thankful that the worst part of my day is figuring out my room category at WDW - LOL!!! :goodvibes I should be more thankful, right!!!

With all that said, Happy Monday!

So - here's my situation now with the special offers released today. I can stay in my current room in the main building which is the king deluxe CL and pay full price or I can switch to the outer building SL and save $2,836. I can also reschedule my trip for January 2016 when I would hope I could get 30% for the room category we want, although I could end up wrong about that. And in January we won't get to enjoy the pool because then it is a little too cold for our tastes. November is pushing it for the pool but if it's in the high 70's, low 80's during the day then we will be OK in the sun. It's just that GF is a splurge for us and I really wanted to go all out with staying in the main building RPC. I'd even go to a standard CL room if it was included in the discount, but it's not.

I'm not paying rack rate. I love WDW but none of the rooms are worth rack rate, IMO. But, I've been spoiled because the last 4-5 trips they've always released a discount that I could easily apply to my reservation. So this is the first time I planned this far ahead (in order to secure a hard to get room) and then ended up disappointed :guilty:

I could also wait another month and see if I get a UOC, or if a bunch of other people cancel and more rooms open up under the offers, but I don't see that happening and then I might miss being able to get an outer building CL room with a discount. I did ask the CM if either my DH or I had a UOC attached to our name and she said I did not and neither did my DH or she'd see it under our reservation. But I didn't think that was the case? In the past when I've called for him they always asked his email to see if it was attached to his email and not our address? Of course, things could have changed in their system. I was hoping maybe I'd get lucky and my DH would have gotten an offer and accidentally deleted it in his email but it'd be in the system this morning (wishful thinking).

Honestly though, life could be much worse so I should still be thankful that the worst part of my day is figuring out my room category at WDW - LOL!!! :goodvibes I should be more thankful, right!!!

I looked up some dates in December and I noticed that the discounts are "up to 25%" instead 30%....looks like Disney is slowly decreasing the discounts. RPC wasn't available for the dates I was looking at and Poly CL was discounted just 15%. It looks like discounts are going to be harder and harder to come by as time goes on :(.

If you know you won't pay rack rate for RPC, I think I'd change to SL with the discount while it's available. I would also keep checking on RPC as sometimes other room categories open up and you never know if/when it might become available. Good luck with your decision as I know it's hard trying to decide, especially when your heart is set on a particular room type.

I am really sorry this has happened to you. Personally I'd keep your dates and switch to SL. Keep trying for something in the RPC as things do open up, especially around the 45 day mark. I'll say it again: Rack rate in RPC is twice the suite cost at the Waldorf!

Good luck with your planning!

I looked up some dates in December and I noticed that the discounts are "up to 25%" instead 30%....looks like Disney is slowly decreasing the discounts. RPC wasn't available for the dates I was looking at and Poly CL was discounted just 15%. It looks like discounts are going to be harder and harder to come by as time goes on :(.

If you know you won't pay rack rate for RPC, I think I'd change to SL with the discount while it's available. I would also keep checking on RPC as sometimes other room categories open up and you never know if/when it might become available. Good luck with your decision as I know it's hard trying to decide, especially when your heart is set on a particular room type.

Those discount dates are just CRAZY. I have never seen anything quite like what they are proposing! I'm wondering if discounts are showing if your dates overlap 2 discount periods?

Disney needs to be careful. For our upcoming July stay we were VERY close to switching to the Four Seasons. There was only a $50 difference and they have a 5 acre water park!

Liz

I agree, Disney needs to be careful with their prices! It's getting difficult for an average family to stay at Disney. I know that AAA does not have an agreement with Disney for discounted prices anymore. That always helped us out on vacation. But that's gone too. There was an article not too long ago, stating the same thing, that Disney better be careful of their prices.

I'm SO sorry this happened! I agree with everything that has been said here...about Disney lowering their discount amounts and about them being careful or they will lose loyal customers! I'm surprised they haven't phased out the discounts altogether! Anyway, I called this morning to see if I could get any discount for my dates. I fully expected for there to be no discount available since the website isn't even showing any RPC rooms available for our dates now (any category). But guess what?? I got a 25% discount applied to my current reservation! I was hoping for more discount, and maybe I'll be able to apply an AP discount later and get a better discount... But right now, I'm just happy to get any discount. Obviously, my dates had something to do with my being able to get a discount. So, if you really had your heart set on RPC, can you change your dates to a time that the discount would be available and work around that? I know you've already got all your dining booked for the other dates, but I guess you would need to decide what is more important to you. The discount in SL would obviously still cost less, so if you think you would be happy with that, then book it. The prices at Disney have really gotten out of hand, so we may be changing the way we do our trips (book the deluxe resort with the best discount). At least that would allow us to try different CLs. That's why we are trying BWI (a good discount)! I really hope your day gets better.

I am really sorry this has happened to you. Personally I'd keep your dates and switch to SL. Keep trying for something in the RPC as things do open up, especially around the 45 day mark. I'll say it again: Rack rate in RPC is twice the suite cost at the Waldorf!

Good luck with your planning!

Those discount dates are just CRAZY. I have never seen anything quite like what they are proposing! I'm wondering if discounts are showing if your dates overlap 2 discount periods?

Disney needs to be careful. For our upcoming July stay we were VERY close to switching to the Four Seasons. There was only a $50 difference and they have a 5 acre water park!

Liz

I am worried our October trip may be our last stay at the GF for awhile. We are booked under a great bounce back offer, and we have to skip 2016 because we'll have an infant, and I don't take infants to WDW, so no BB in 2016! So for 2017 I am thinking the Four Seasons. It's actually cheaper than paying rack rate at the GF, and if they are running one of their room specials, it's even less.

We may also look at doing DVC, but that kind of commitment makes me nervous!

My TA told me Disney has been telling them for awhile that the big discounts are going away. She said they were noticeably not as good last go round, and this time they're the worst she's seen in a long time.

I am worried our October trip may be our last stay at the GF for awhile. We are booked under a great bounce back offer, and we have to skip 2016 because we'll have an infant, and I don't take infants to WDW, so no BB in 2016! So for 2017 I am thinking the Four Seasons. It's actually cheaper than paying rack rate at the GF, and if they are running one of their room specials, it's even less.

double post

It looks like we will be staying our first night in a GV and then moving our remaining 6 nights to a LV (boring convoluted story, don't ask ;) ) I've changed resorts before, but not rooms within resorts. Since there's a lag between checkout and check in time, plus we will be at Epcot that morning until around 1 pm, do we basically just take our luggage to bell services on our way to EP, then retrieve them when we get our second room assignment? We will be using ME, I wish there was a way to alert the people delivering the ME bags to just bring us one bag we've prepared for a nights stay and hold onto the rest until the next day. Seems like a lot of extra work for everyone involved. Any suggestions to make it go more smoothly?

I'm on my phone so multi-quotes don't work very well on this little screen so these comments are my thoughts on the last few posts...

First, thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas! And 'listening' to my tales of woe LOL!

Second, I understand Disney owes me nothing. As a business they don't care about my expectations for a discount when booking 6 months out. But, with that said, I don't owe Disney anything either. So using past experience to plan 6 months out does give me an expectation that I won't be paying rack rate, and now that I know I will have to, then I have to decide what works best for us since my assumptions were wrong. I think Disney is really, really testing the market this year. They are really cutting back on discounts to see how many people they can get to accept paying rack rates at Disney resorts, while also increasing ticket prices AND making it difficult for people to modify their reservations to keep their discounts. To me, that is a lot to throw at consumers all within the same year....ouch! Again, it may be smart of them if consumers accept these changes.

Third, I'm giving a lot of thought to our November plans. I may try to change them around to see if other offers are available for other weeks we are willing to travel and/or see if something opens up in the next month but switch to SL in the meantime. Or, I am seriously considering cancelling for now and going with my parents in 2016, now that my expectations are set that discounts will be fewer and with more limitations.

Lastly, what makes today's discounts even harder to swallow is the UOC offer for the Fall at 30%. And I've seen posts that people who were already booked and had a discount (FD or bounce back) getting the UOC sent to them. Yet, I get nothing for a room that at rack rate is almost $1,000 a night, not including any perks other than some snacks and drinks throughout the day and it's not even a suite or villa? I was having a hard time justifying paying that with a 30% discount but, again, this is a splurge vacation for us for a few reasons. And, not to sound snotty, but even with being able to afford that cost it's not justifiable for us....every family is different so for many people they will say it's worth the cost. So I totally understand that's a subjective statement and applies to our assessment of the value. No judgments on anyone else. We don't have kids and could go to Paris for the cost of this trip.

So with all that said, I'm going to give it a couple days and decide. I'm also super worried that since discounts are so low that crowds are expected to be crazy and we specifically wanted to travel the week before Thanksgiving for lower crowds and I'm seconding guessing that now as well.

Thanks again everyone for listening!!

I'll say it again: Rack rate in RPC is twice the suite cost at the Waldorf!

Liz

I've never looked into the Waldorf, but for RPC to be double the cost of a Waldorf suite :eek:.

Crazy is right!! I agree Disney needs to be careful. Rates are getting out of hand (especially at the deluxe resorts) and sooner or later people are going to get tired of it and start going else where. I, for one, wouldn't hesitate to stay offsite if things get out of reach. I love the deluxe resorts, but I won't break the bank to stay at them :(.

I agree, Disney needs to be careful with their prices! It's getting difficult for an average family to stay at Disney. I know that AAA does not have an agreement with Disney for discounted prices anymore. That always helped us out on vacation. But that's gone too. There was an article not too long ago, stating the same thing, that Disney better be careful of their prices.

Totally agree :thumbsup2. We are a family of 4 and once you pay for a hotel, park tickets, food, and airfare, it's a small fortune. Add higher resort rates and eventually it'll be out of reach for a lot of people :sad2:.

I'm SO sorry this happened! I agree with everything that has been said here...about Disney lowering their discount amounts and about them being careful or they will lose loyal customers! I'm surprised they haven't phased out the discounts altogether! Anyway, I called this morning to see if I could get any discount for my dates. I fully expected for there to be no discount available since the website isn't even showing any RPC rooms available for our dates now (any category). But guess what?? I got a 25% discount applied to my current reservation! I was hoping for more discount, and maybe I'll be able to apply an AP discount later and get a better discount... But right now, I'm just happy to get any discount. Obviously, my dates had something to do with my being able to get a discount. So, if you really had your heart set on RPC, can you change your dates to a time that the discount would be available and work around that? I know you've already got all your dining booked for the other dates, but I guess you would need to decide what is more important to you. The discount in SL would obviously still cost less, so if you think you would be happy with that, then book it. The prices at Disney have really gotten out of hand, so we may be changing the way we do our trips (book the deluxe resort with the best discount). At least that would allow us to try different CLs. That's why we are trying BWI (a good discount)! I really hope your day gets better.

I'm glad you were able to get a discount :). I was sort of shocked to see the highest discount being just 25%, but I guess it's not a surprise as there has been talk about Disney slowly decreasing discounts.

My TA told me Disney has been telling them for awhile that the big discounts are going away. She said they were noticeably not as good last go round, and this time they're the worst she's seen in a long time.

I think this is something we've all known was coming, but it's harder to take when you actually see it in print :(. I was really surprised to see the Poly offered at just 15%. I know people have been talking that discounts would be lower with the new bungalows and all the other new things at the Poly, but I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I don't remember the GF getting a lesser discount when VGF were built, but then no regular rooms were taken out of inventory to make room for DVC units like they did at the Poly. I guess decreasing the number of regular rooms will make it easier to fill the resort :confused:.

Second, I understand Disney owes me nothing. As a business they don't care about my expectations for a discount when booking 6 months out. But, with that said, I don't owe Disney anything either. So using past experience to plan 6 months out does give me an expectation that I won't be paying rack rate, and now that I know I will have to, then I have to decide what works best for us since my assumptions were wrong. I think Disney is really, really testing the market this year. They are really cutting back on discounts to see how many people they can get to accept paying rack rates at Disney resorts, while also increasing ticket prices AND making it difficult for people to modify their reservations to keep their discounts. To me, that is a lot to throw at consumers all within the same year....ouch! Again, it may be smart of them if consumers accept these changes.

I totally agree with you. Personally, I wouldn't pay RR for RPC -- it's nice, but NOT that amazing for what they are charging. I would switch to SL and save the $2K or switch dates if it was me... We've taken a few years off (away from WDW) and I know what hotel rates are in other fabulous vacation destinations, and Disney is over-charging if you only look at the rack rates. Again, just my opinion. But I do think they better be careful... there are other lovely resorts and places to visit and I'm not sure just how much the average WDW visitor is willing to pay. I wish they would do away with the discounts and just charge a reasonable amount per night... (yeah, I know that is not going to happen...)

Last edited:
It looks like we will be staying our first night in a GV and then moving our remaining 6 nights to a LV (boring convoluted story, don't ask ;) ) I've changed resorts before, but not rooms within resorts. Since there's a lag between checkout and check in time, plus we will be at Epcot that morning until around 1 pm, do we basically just take our luggage to bell services on our way to EP, then retrieve them when we get our second room assignment? We will be using ME, I wish there was a way to alert the people delivering the ME bags to just bring us one bag we've prepared for a nights stay and hold onto the rest until the next day. Seems like a lot of extra work for everyone involved. Any suggestions to make it go more smoothly?

Yes, take your luggage to bell services and tell them you are changing rooms, but are still at the GF. They will hold your luggage until your room is ready. Keep in mind that you can check in as early as 6 am (which is when the computers roll over for the day) and while it depends on how busy it is as to whether or not your room will be ready that early, it is possible. You can also do OCI for the LV room as I think there is a spot for an arrival time. You can put an early a.m. arrival time since you will already be a the resort. We have never done OCI, but I have read reports of others who have done it with an early arrival time and have found their room ready at check in. It's not a guarantee, but it might be worth it for the chance of getting your room before you head to Epcot :).

I'm on my phone so multi-quotes don't work very well on this little screen so these comments are my thoughts on the last few posts...

First, thanks everyone for the thoughts and ideas! And 'listening' to my tales of woe LOL!

Third, I'm giving a lot of thought to our November plans. I may try to change them around to see if other offers are available for other weeks we are willing to travel and/or see if something opens up in the next month but switch to SL in the meantime. Or, I am seriously considering cancelling for now and going with my parents in 2016, now that my expectations are set that discounts will be fewer and with more limitations.

Lastly, what makes today's discounts even harder to swallow is the UOC offer for the Fall at 30%. And I've seen posts that people who were already booked and had a discount (FD or bounce back) getting the UOC sent to them. Yet, I get nothing for a room that at rack rate is almost $1,000 a night, not including any perks other than some snacks and drinks throughout the day and it's not even a suite or villa? I was having a hard time justifying paying that with a 30% discount but, again, this is a splurge vacation for us for a few reasons. And, not to sound snotty, but even with being able to afford that cost it's not justifiable for us....every family is different so for many people they will say it's worth the cost. So I totally understand that's a subjective statement and applies to our assessment of the value. No judgments on anyone else. We don't have kids and could go to Paris for the cost of this trip.

So with all that said, I'm going to give it a couple days and decide. I'm also super worried that since discounts are so low that crowds are expected to be crazy and we specifically wanted to travel the week before Thanksgiving for lower crowds and I'm seconding guessing that now as well.

I'm sorry for all the frustration this is causing, but I totally get where you are coming from. I think you made the right choice for now to think about it for a few days before making a final decision about changing dates, canceling, etc. Good luck.

Magical Express will deliver your bags to a GV. Call bell services in the morning. They'll come by in a gold cart and get your bags, and store them until your room is ready. You go have fun! Then, when you get into your new room, call bell services and they'll bring your bags.

We don't have kids and could go to Paris for the cost of this trip.

I was in your exact situation for our October trip last year. I called to have the discount applied and there was no availability...not even in SL. After talking to DH we had decided to move off-site and I called back to cancel and find out how long refunds take (I had prepaid what I thought we would pay with a discount.) CM was very quick to point out I didn't need a refund if I switched hotels but when I said I was moving off site, I was immediately transferred over to Guest Services. Miracle on miracle a discounted RPC room was available with my discount. I would mention you're thinking of cancelling outright for sure!

I also wanted to mention going through all that took some of the "magic" out of that trip for me. I think I never really liked the room we were given because of it! Planning a Disney trip shouldn't be stressful!

Liz (heading back to the BWI boards where I should be!)

I would not hold your breath on that:( The AP discounts lately have been the exact same as the public discounts, another cutback by WDW. They are squeezing us out:( Smaller discounts, less room categories discounted, less EMH and on and on and on... Next thing you know they will install a fare-box on the buses, Monorail and boats.

I beleive I always had them in my standard view room....until they redecorated....I don't think they are there now. But, i could be wrong, and I just came in from the heat of Southwest Arkansas where it is a sweltering 105 heat index so that's my excuse!

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter