2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

38/50 - Confessions of A Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim (How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated)

This book was a quick, fun, interesting read. If you're a fan of Little House on the Prairie, I would recommend reading it. If you want answers to burning questions such as why did Carrie roll down the hill in the opening credits or what Michael Landon was wearing under his prairie clothing ( :eek: ), this is the book for you. :goodvibes

5/5 stars

My goal is 40 and I am on no.21. Read a lot on vacation these past three weeks. Nothing spectacular, mostly free downloads, mysteries mostly with a few romance thrown in for good measure.

38/50 - Confessions of A Prairie ***** by Alison Arngrim (How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated)

This book was a quick, fun, interesting read. If you're a fan of Little House on the Prairie, I would recommend reading it. If you want answers to burning questions such as why did Carrie roll down the hill in the opening credits or what Michael Landon was wearing under his prairie clothing ( :eek: ), this is the book for you. :goodvibes

5/5 stars

Sounds like fun!

So glad you enjoyed The Shoemaker's Wife and the Valentine books! The third book in the Valentine series, The Supreme Macaroni Company, comes out this fall on November 5th. Hope to see you when I tour through!

xoxo Adriana

Well, I can certainly see why KeenerCam invited me over here! Wow!! My all-time favorite author is here! So thrilled to see you here, Ms. Trigiani! Looking forward to The Supreme Macaroni Company since I loved all the Valentine books so much.

I don't know if you'll remember, since I'm sure you meet like a bazillion people on your book tours, but I was the one that told you I love your hair when you were in Stamford, CT. :goodvibes What a great night that was! LOVED your stories!!

Sounds like fun!

It was a great book. ::yes:: There are some serious parts of it where she talks about her childhood abuse (among other things), but the majority of the book is a really neat behind-the-scenes look at Little House and her experiences on the show.

Finished book #45- The House on Tradd Street by Karen White

Since I enjoyed On Folly Beach so much, I decided to read more from this author. This is #1 in a 3 book series which all take place in Charleston (more info for my trip). This was a great, spooky mystery that I thoroughly enjoyed! The main character can see ghosts & just inherited an old house in Charleston with a mystery to solve. I just finished this about 10 min ago & will dive right into book 2 after I finish this review. I can't wait to see houses like these while in Charleston.

Practical Melanie Middleton hates to admit she can see ghosts. But she's going to have to accept it. An old man she recently met has died, leaving her his historic Tradd Street home, complete with housekeeper, dog and a family of ghosts anxious to tell her their secrets.
Enter Jack Trenholm, a gorgeous writer obsessed with unsolved mysteries. He has reason to believe that diamonds from the Confederate Treasury are hidden in the house. So he turns the charm on with Melanie, only to discover he's the smitten one...
It turns out Jack's search has caught the attention of a malevolent ghost. Now, Jack and Melanie must unravel a mystery of passion, heartbreak and even murder.

Next book- #2 The Girl on Legare Street

I've been on a light beach read kick - mostly romance. None of these were great - I liked them but nothing I feel compelled to recommend or rave about. Although I did like Mariah Stewart and Jill Shalvis books enough to read others in the series.

56 Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia
57 Undertaking Love by Kat French
58 The Cinderella Deal by Jennifer Cruise
59 A Brisket, A Casket by Delia Rosen
60 Instant Gratification by Jill Shalvis
61 Hometown Girl by Mariah Stewart
62 Home for the Summer by Mariah Stewart
63 Instant Temptation by Jill Shalvis

I just finished Yellow Crocus which was a Kindle freebie last week. It was pretty good.

It's is part of genre of "household slave cares for plantation-owners child and makes a huge difference in the child's life." The characters were well developed and the storyline, while simple, was interesting.

I believe this book is always free if you have a Prime membership but is occasionally free for all.

I just finished Yellow Crocus which was a Kindle freebie last week. It was pretty good.

It's is part of genre of "household slave cares for plantation-owners child and makes a huge difference in the child's life." The characters were well developed and the storyline, while simple, was interesting.

I believe this book is always free if you have a Prime membership but is occasionally free for all.

Now I know what to get next month - thanks!

Book #53 Little House on the Prairie

Review: Ok, so I bought the big binding from Barnes and Nobles because I have fond memories of this series. It is summer and my childhood memories involved fighting with my siblings, sunburns and Little House on the Prairie. Now, here is the thing. I don't know if I should count the series (there are five books) as 'ONE' book because even though it contains the first five books of the Little House series (Big Woods, Little House on the Prairie, Farmer Boy, One the Banks of Plum Creek and By the Shores of Silver Lake), they are rather short books meant for children and are well...all in one. I will list it as ONE book instead of five but please someone give an opinion if thought otherwise.

Anyways, I loved these books as a kid and bought the Barnes and Nobles version as last minute grab. I got sick recently and for some reason the book series is comforting. The story of Ma, Pa, Laura, Mary and Carrie (later on there is Grace who seems to arrive out of nowhere in the last book) reminded me of how much I wanted to be like Laura and do all the things she did even if doing things like swatting a blown up pig's bladder (I kid you not) and seeing headcheese getting made isn't my idea of fun but c'mon there is something awesome about Pa playing a fiddle every night and churning butter (to my feverish mind that sounded kind of cool). As a kid I did try the syrup and snow thing. Ok, so no one told me that you aren't supposed to use the normal syrup we have now and it was a total mess.

If you want to take a step back into childhood, reading the stories are a good idea.

Goal - 24 books

Book #12 - American Gods by Neil Gaiman - What if all the gods were real, brought to different lands and sustained by the worship of migrating people groups? What would America be like for those gods? That's this book. It was good. Solidly good, but not awesome.

Next up - White by Ted Dekker - It's the third book in The Circle series and it's been a long time since I read Red. I should probably Google up some notes on the first two books right now. :scratchin

I have started and not finished around four books so had a break and then moved onto non fiction. I am starting a public policy module for my degree so have been reading about Australian politics

Goal 100

#77 Inside the Political Trenches by Maxine McKew
#78 The Party Thieves by Barry Cassidy

Not much point in describing them as it won't make any sense to any of you :goodvibes

Goal: 75 books this year

#61 - Life as a Victorian Lady by Pamela Horn
#62 - Life in a Victorian Household by Pamela Horn

I'm fascinated by the Victorian era, so I was eager to read these books; they were 99 cent downloads on my Kindle.

Life as a Victorian Lady depicts the various stages of girls growing up in England in the middle to late 1800s. Because of the laws of primogeniture, girls were practically compelled to make advantageous marriages whether there was any love involved or not. She who did not ended up dependent on her father until his death, when she would then become dependent on her father's heir, who may or may not be a loving brother, happy to support an unmarried sister. Those who married became responsible for ordering their own houses, dealing with servants, entertaining their husbands' friends and business associates, many times having to deal with their mothers-in-law who might not be ready to give up their positions as queen bee. They had little to do with their children, either by choice or circumstance. Divorce was unheard of, and in the rare circumstances when a divorce was granted, the wife was completely shunned by Society, while the husband suffered no consequences.

Life in a Victorian Household covers the inhabitants on the other side of the green baize door - the servants. Poor children of the Victorian era had no opportunity to get an education, so when they were sent out to earn money to support themselves or to help support their families, their only option for legitimate employment was service. Sleeping in unheated attics or basements, eating whatever might be left over from the family's meals, many felt that they were fortunate to have a roof over their heads and food in their bellies. Their training was mostly on-the-job, and it included everything from hauling coal from the basement to carrying hot water up several flight of stairs to fill a bath for the master. There was silver to be polished, tables to be laid, vegetables to be prepared, pots to be scrubbed, bed and table linens to be washed, mended and ironed, fires to be laid, carpets to be swept and stoops to be scrubbed. There was a definite hierarchy, with the butler lording over the master's valet, the footmen, the grooms and the gardeners. The housekeeper was in charge of the upstairs and downstairs maids, the tweeny and sometimes the mistress's lady's maid. The cook had her own little kingdom, ruling the kitchen maids and the bootblack, who did all the odd jobs all the other servants thought they were too high and mighty to do.

Because I read a lot of Victorian mysteries, I knew some of this, but these books really went into a lot of detail that I didn't know. It makes me very glad I didn't live in Victorian England; my family surely wouldn't have been of the servant-hiring class - we would have been the servants!

Queen Colleen

I will have to look for these. Sounds very interesting. I enjoy reading about different eras.

5/5 stars

That was my first E-book. I really enjoyed it and always recommend it to others.

Finished book #41: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

My DH loved this book & kept telling me to read it. It was shocking to read all that this man went thru during WWII. There were multiple parts so brutal that were difficult to read b/c it was too much. I don't know how he survived & came out sane in the end.

On a May afternoon in 1943, an Army Air Forces bomber crashed into the Pacific Ocean and disappeared, leaving only a spray of debris and a slick of oil, gasoline, and blood. Then, on the ocean surface, a face appeared. It was that of a young lieutenant, the plane’s bombardier, who was struggling to a life raft and pulling himself aboard. So began one of the most extraordinary odysseys of the Second World War.
The lieutenant’s name was Louis Zamperini. In boyhood, he’d been a cunning and incorrigible delinquent, breaking into houses, brawling, and fleeing his home to ride the rails. As a teenager, he had channeled his defiance into running, discovering a prodigious talent that had carried him to the Berlin Olympics and within sight of the four-minute mile. But when war had come, the athlete had become an airman, embarking on a journey that led to his doomed flight, a tiny raft, and a drift into the unknown.
Ahead of Zamperini lay thousands of miles of open ocean, leaping sharks, a foundering raft, thirst and starvation, enemy aircraft, and, beyond, a trial even greater. Driven to the limits of endurance, Zamperini would answer desperation with ingenuity; suffering with hope, resolve, and humor; brutality with rebellion. His fate, whether triumph or tragedy, would be suspended on the fraying wire of his will.

Next book: Some Kind of Fairy Tale

This book is just amazing. One of the best books I have ever read. Talk about a range of emotions. And what he has gone through so far (I'm halfway through) just blows my mind!

Book 23 of 30

Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I was pleasantly surprised.

Book 44 of 100

Lucky Stars #1: Wish Upon A Friend by Phoebe Bright

Okay, so I am now counting the chapter books that I have started reading my 4 yr old. This is the first one we did, and was a delightful story to share with my daughter. Here is the Summary from Goodreads:
magical new series -- each book comes with a special collectible charm!

Wishes really do come true!

Cassie is so excited to turn seven! She knows it's a special day, but she has no idea what kind of magic is in store. . . .

On her birthday, Cassie is whisked away on a magical adventure in the sky. She's going to become a Lucky Star -- someone who makes wishes come true! Every time she helps grant a wish, she'll collect a charm for her sparkly new bracelet. But these are no ordinary charms. Each one gives Cassie a different magical power!

Can Cassie earn all seven charms and become a true Lucky Star?

Each book comes with a charm just like Cassie's -- collect them all!

I decided to add them as 1 - others may be looking for good books to read with their children and 2 - I need the numbers to catch up! :rotfl:

Currently I am reading 2 books: The Fire (Witch and Wizard #3) and The Wizard of Oz with the family. We had such a good time starting this classic tonight. My Daughter did not want to stop after reading 6 chapters. It may go a lot quicker then I had thought it would. :lovestruc

Book #54 The Wilder Life: Wendy McClure

Review: One of the reasons I re-read the Little House series is because I found this book at a second-hand shop. Wendy McClure has memories of loving the Little House series and she decides to discover the world of the series by traveling to the many places the Ingalls and Wilder families lived in. This isn't just a book about where she went and how it was but how she tried things like making homemade butter in a churn, trying out the recipes and even trying the salt pork that is mentioned so many times. McClure also brings up the show and how different it was from the book series. This reminded me of a friend who said "Oh, I didn't know they made a book series after the show!"

60/116 - Where the Truth Lies by Julie Corbin

Claire's husband has been keeping secrets. About the whereabouts of the witness to the murder trial he's prosecuting . And about the letters he's been getting, threatening to kill their three-year old, unless he tells the blackmailer where the witness is hiding. With their daughter's life at stake, it is left to Claire to untangle the web of lies and half-truths and find out just who might be responsible. And to stop them. Before it's too late.

This is Julie Corbin's first book and I enjoyed this more than the other one of hers I read last week. Another thriller, it flowed well and really kept me guessing as to who the blackmailer was. I am definitely going to have a look for some more of her books as they're great 'easy reads'.

Already on to my next one - I have started reading The Promise by Lesley Pearse, which is the follow-up to her book, Belle, which I read a couple of months ago.

Finished book #46- The Girl on Legare Street by Karen White

This is book 2 in the series. Another spooky mystery in Charleston that kept me reading. I think I read for 4 hrs straight yesterday b/c I couldn't stop. It's killing me that the main character (Melanie) & Jack have not gotten together yet. I have already begun book 3.

Melanie has grown accustomed to renovating old houses, but she never imagined she'd have to renovate her own life to include her estranged mother. Ginnette Prioleau Middleton left Charleston thirty-five years ago. She's returned wanting to protect the daughter she's never really known after receiving an ominous premonition.
Melanie never wanted to see her mother again, but with some prodding from her partner, Jack Trenholm, she agrees and begins to rebuild their relationship. Together Melanie and Ginnette buy back their old home. With their combined psychic abilities they expect to unearth some ghosts. But what they find is a vengeful dark spirit whose strength has been growing for decades. It will take unearthing long buried secrets to beat this demon and save what's left of Melanie's family.

Next book: The Strangers on Montagu Street

Finished book #47 (I think that's the #), "Gimme Back My Clothes". It was just way too dumb and unbelievable, even for me, who doesn't read "deep" books.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter