2013 BOOK CHALLENGE! Are you in?

Current progress: 2 / 52

Book #2: Party Princess
Another book/series that my middle schoolers have been reading. It is part of the Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot. I definitely will be finishing the series to see what happens with the characters, but overall it is just an ok series.

I can't wait to get reading some of the books that you all have read so far. My to read list just keeps growing and growing!!!!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am reading 80 books for the 2013 Book Challenge this year. This is the first time I am during this challenge. I have read 4 books so far out the 80 books.

I read The Giver years ago when it was a 7th grade requirement for my kids. The ending can be interpreted in more than one way. There are two companion books: Gathering Blue and The Messenger.

A fourth one just came out. It is called "Son." It wraps the whole series up and ties them together according to my DD 11. She really likes them all. I read The Giver several years ago but would like to go back and reread it and then read the next three.

I have been so busy already with school starting back. However, I am determined to keep up with my goal of 1 book a month.

I am a little over 1/4 through Fifty Shades Freed :)

I will probably pick back up with A Game of Thrones next month!

Wow, this thread is always hopping! I love to read everyone's choices and reviews. :)

I'm not working on much at the moment but have been reading this since last year-

#5 - The Gift of Fear by Gavin DeBecker - it is a book about personal security, intuition, and includes several real life stories. He is a security expert and details behaviors and thought processes of different types of stalkers, killers, etc. Very interesting read and easy to pick up as the mood hits.

Goal 50

#6 The Giver

This was such an easy read that I got it done in one day. It was different. I'm sure there's TONS of symbolism in it that I'm just not getting. I didn't really feel that way until a PP said the ending could be taken several different ways. It could? LOL I might look for the other books in the series after I read everything else on my list. 3/5 due to it being such an easy read. I know it's a YA book so maybe that's not fair.

ETA book 7 is Replay based on the way it was reviewed on this thread.

I'm in! I'm setting my goal as 100, which is definitely doable for me, even tho I'm starting late. I just finished my re-read of gone girl last night, and today I'm starting the new Linwood Barclay, Trust Your Eyes. I always love his books, and this one has great reviews! I'm looking forward to getting lots of book suggestions from this thread, finding books to read is always way harder for me than reading them!

Count me in. I think I'll try for 25.

Got one down - The Blood Gospel by James Rollins

Maybe those that are involved in this could join the Disreaders on Goodreads.com. I know there is at least 1 that is doing the challenge in this group.

Good Luck everyone.

I am reading 80 books for the 2013 Book Challenge this year. This is the first time I am during this challenge. I have read 4 books so far out the 80 books.

Welcome to our new members! So glad you could join us! :wave2:

It's exciting to see what everyone is reading!!

My Book #5 was Blood She Read by Sara Hubbard. It was a REALLY good YA about a girl witch with the power to touch people and read their past, who gets involved with solving the murder of a girl from her school.

Book #6 of 50 was The Secret Life of a Soccer Mom, which was really funny. I like cozy mysteries and with this one, I could really identify with the sleuth, who was a harried mom to 2 young kids. At one point, my husband asked me why I was laughing so hard!

Just finished Book #4 out of 30.

The Passage by Justin Cronin

It's an apocalyptic book which is not really my cup of tea, but it had good reviews here on the DIS so thought I'd give it a try. I'm game for anything, lol!

Basically it's about a military science experiment gone awry leaving mutants (vampires) to take over the world leaving very few survivors. The key to survival lies mysteriously in one little girl's hands, Amy.

I grew a little bored during the middle, but all in all, I liked this book which surprises me. I could not put it down the last 300 pages or so.

There's a sequel to it but I'm on the fence as to whether I'll read it or not. I've heard it's not as good as the first... but yet I can't leave the characters hanging, lol.

I give it a 3.5 out of 5.

Next up: The Shoemaker's Wife by Adriana Trigiani

I was pretty excited to find out this morning that coming April 23 Edward Rutherfurd's new book Paris will be released. I've read Sarum, Russka, and London and really enjoyed them. I think I know what I'll be reading on my cruise -- if I can hold off reading it until then!

Here's the overview from bn.com:

From the grand master of the historical novel comes a dazzling epic portrait of Paris that leaps through centuries as it weaves the tales of families whose fates are forever entwined with the City of Lights

As he did so brilliantly in London: The Novel and New York: The Novel, Edward Rutherfurd brings to life the most magical city in the world: Paris.

This breathtaking multigenerational saga takes readers on a journey through thousands of years of glorious Parisian history—from its founding under the Romans to the timeless love story of Abelard and Heloise against the backdrop of the building of Notre Dame; to the martyrdom of Joan of Arc during the Hundred Years War; to the dangerous manipulations of Cardinal Richelieu and the bloody religious conflicts between Catholics and Protestants; to the gilded glories of Versailles; to the horrors of the French Revolution and the conquests of Napoleon; to the beauty and optimism of the belle epoque when Impressionism swept the world; to the hotbed of cultural activity of the 1920s and '30s that included Picasso, Salvador Dali, Ernest Hemingway, and the writers of the Lost Generation; to the Nazi occupation and the incredible efforts of the French Resistance.

Even more richly detailed, thrilling, and romantic then anything Rutherfurd has written before, Paris: The Novel illuminates thousands of years in the City of Lights through intimate and vivid tales of characters both fictional and true, and with them, the sights, scents, and tastes of Paris come to sumptuous life.

I read a lot of free Kindle books. I also end up buying books by authors who have put a book up on Kindle for free - if I like that one, I read others in the series or by the same author. That is what happened with books #2 and #3 that I've read this year - book 1 was free and I liked it enough to buy the others.

1. Worth the Weight by Mara Jacobs - very good romance; some racy parts - first in series about 3 BFFs (this one is about "the nice one")
2. Worth the Drive by Mara Jacobs - sequel; very good; this one is about "the pretty one"
3. Worth the Fall by Mara Jacobs -- another romance in the series about the 3rd of three BFFs (this one is about "the smart one"
4. Cancelled by Elizabeth Anne West (mediocre romance, told from male POV)
5. 11/22/63 by Stephen King --EXCELLENT; so well researched and totally believable
6. Seduced By a Pirate by Eloisa James (fluff; companion to "The Ugly Duchess" which was wonderful)
7. Three Brides, No Groom by Debbie Macomber (kind of "eh"; I usually like her books but this one seemed kind of "cursory" and rushed to a totally predictable ending)

I read 11/22/63 on the recommendation of so many people on these book threads on the Community Board, and I am SOOO glad I took the recommendation. It was excellent, really enthralling!

I like Edward Rutherford too-haven't read anything since London many years ago though :)

I'm behind on updating my list:

goal:52 books

book 3-The Kingmaker's Daughter by Philippa Gregory
This is a typical Gregory novel. Fun historical fiction, this time following Anne Neville as she eventually becomes Queen of England for a brief time.

Then for fun as a result of this thread I reread
book 4-Confessions of a Shopaholic and
book 5-Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella

And I am now working on book 6-Defending Jacob, also as a result of this thread. However, I was shocked to realize that the book is set in Newton, CT and after the recent tragedy, reading about another child's murder there really threw me.

I did alot of reading this past holiday weekend. :)

Goal 75

Book #5 Defending Jacob by William Landay

Overall I liked this book, it was certainly not the most well written book I have ever read, but it kept me engaged. I recommend it, and think it would be a great book club book. So many different things to discuss.

Book #6 Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson

This was not marketed as Christian fiction, but it had some Christian themes. I liked the idea of the book, but it was kind of hard to keep up with who was who. It was set in the 1800's, and centered around Civil War widows making a new start in Nebraska.

Book #7 A Cowboy's Touch by Denise Hunter

This is the first book in the Christian fiction Big Sky series. It was a good easy read. I liked that the characters were flawed, and there was def. some heat between the couple, but it was clean. You just sometimes don't get that in Christian fiction. (flawed characters and sexual tension)

I keep adding more and more books to my to be read list, after reading everyone's reviews. I love discovering new books, and I am loving this thread. pixiedust:

threeboysmom said:
Welcome to our new members! So glad you could join us! :wave2:

It's exciting to see what everyone is reading!!

Thank you for welcoming me! I saw the 2013 Book Challenge when I joined up for the Goodreads app. Just decide to do it because I love to read.

Goal 40, finished book #9
The Center of Everything by Laura Moriarty
coming of age book, mother/daughter relationships...meh - i gave it 2 stars

Finished book #3: Home Front by Kristin Hannah

I had to read this for my book club & didn't know anything about it. This was such a powerful book that had me crying through at least half the book. I can't imagine dealing with what this mom had to deal with. I highly recommend this book!

Like many couples, Michael and Jolene Zarkades have to face the pressures of everyday life---children, careers, bills, chores---even as their twelve-year marriage is falling apart. Then an unexpected deployment sends Jolene deep into harms way and leaves defense attorney Michael at home, unaccustomed to being a single parent to their two girls. As a mother, it agonizes Jolene to leave her family, but as a solider she has always understood the true meaning of duty.

Question: Are the Bones novels anything like the show? Just being on the safe side before placing the hold on the most recent 2.

CourtasanSatine said:
Question: Are the Bones novels anything like the show? Just being on the safe side before placing the hold on the most recent 2.

Only that they have a character named temperance Brennan and she deals with bones and murder....other than that, I found no resemblance...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter