• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2013/2014 Beach and Yacht FAQ, Fun & Friends ~ Aug, Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec & Jan ~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next question as I begin packing for our BC stay in 9 days: When staying at the Values and the Mods (and cruises), I am in need of a hang over the door shoe organizer for bathroom and other stuff because of the lack of shelf space for 4 people, not that we're high maintenance in beauty products at all. I didn't feel this was the case at WL because there was so much more room. I've looked at pics of the bathroom/sink area at BC but still can't get a feel for it. (I'd rather not pack it if not needed, of course). If I felt I didn't need it at WL, do you think I will wish I had it at BC?

With the two sinks there is a pretty good amount of counter space in that area. There is also a (maybe) 5 inch shelf above the sink area that runs the length. My FAVORITE spot for bathroom storage is the shelf underneath the sink! It's large enough to hide the body parts after you've murdered one of your cranky roommates and sawed up the carcass.

If everyone is behaving and there is no need for homicide storage (has not happened on any trip I've been on so far....) we keep the toiletry kits and any extra towels down there. It also holds a full display of Axe body spray cans if you have teenage boys who think they are lady killers and feel the need to "smell" handsome ; )

Teena if you see this post, will you be working tomorrow??? Would love to say Hi :goodvibes

I don't think she will be working tomorrow... Bob doesn't usually let her out of the house until the weekends and Mondays ; )

~NM

:welcome: back!

I don't see you on the B.O.G. list, so I will add you- June YC?

:cool1:

The cheese Danish looks delish. I don't spend any time at the Marketplace in the morning, so I can't help you determine if they have it.

One of our friends will be at BCV later this week- I'll ask him to check if he gets a chance.

Thanks for the welcome back :goodvibes I've stayed at BC in April 2008 and then last year for a conference but this will be my first time at YC! This year's Disney conference hotels include AKL, Coronado Springs, and Yacht Club. There are over 30 hotels total but why would I bother looking at the other ones :confused3:lmao: So what if the conference is at the Orlando convention center! Rental cars rule for that purpose :woohoo: Anywho, I have booked May 31 - June 6 at the YC. Trying to figure out what family member(s) will join me. This year the conference is not during the kids school year so I'm trying to convince the non-Disney husband to come with the kids. But my sister had so much fun last year with me at BC that she's giving the puppy dog eyes :laughing: But I'll definitely be there!

If your source doesn't mind checking out whether they sell the cheese danishes at BC (or YC), I would greatly appreciate it! I celebrated my 40th at the Poly last October and that was my treat every day. And in June, it is nothing special but I still want a treat every day :thumbsup2

Hi Tinkerbelli!!! :wave2: :hug:

Buzzy is a chocoholic! I'm addicted to those chocolate croissants found in the BC Marketplace. I don't know about those cheese croissants but the next time I am buzzing around the pastry case I will go in for a landing and check them out.

I have also gotten myself stuck in many a sugary drink. The laundry room seems to be a place where I get myself in a lot of trouble. All these women and men doing laundry keep bringing their sugary drinks into the laundry room to assist them in the fluffing and folding. Being the good natured fly that I am I frequently offer to test their drinks to see if they are still up to the high quality standards that the Beach Club and Yacht Club maintains. Someone has to make that sacrifice so it might as well be me... I am especially fond of the resort favorite Sunken Treasure drink but any bucket of booze will do for your old pal Buzzy.

As for the Yacht Club, Buzzy only flies over there to check out the bar scene. Sometimes I am also in the mood for a good steak but I can get them cheaper from the dumpster so I hardly ever venture into the Yachtsman Steakhouse. That place is way too fancy for your friend Buzzy the fly!

Hopefully when your trip comes I'll see you buzzing around the resort. Look for me at the pool by Hurricane Hannah's. I'll be the fly bothering the servers for extra cherries in my drinks.

Love, your pal, Buzzy the fly :banana:

I've never thought about checking out the laundry room scene. Sounds like my kind of party - clean clothes and sugary drinks! I'll be sure to try the sunken treasure! Like you, I may be asking for extra cherries - saves money on the whole 'dinner' thing when they load up your drink with fruit. I love a good steak but can't eat more than a few bites and while I don't visit the dumpster, I am fine picking off my kids plates (is that similar???) and I've been occasionally known to ask random people, "are you going to finish that?" Ok, maybe not that extreme but depends on how many of those drinks I've had first. Hope to see you Buzzy - I'll forgo the DEET for the trip ;)

SO excited that we booked BC for our 20th Anniversary trip. We'll be there April 7-11. We stayed at BWI with the kids summer of 2010 and loved it, but we were pretty jealous of Stormalong Bay! Dh and I had said long ago that we wanted our 20th anniversary to be spent "toes in the sand"...we were thinking beach somewhere. Well, we couldn't decide on anything until I said "there's sand at Disney's Beach Club...why not just you and me at Disney World?" and he thought it was brilliant :-)

This will be our first vacation just the two of us since our honeymoon!! So far I've booked an ADR for our anniversary night at Captain's Grille. We LOVED that place last time. Also booked the Dessert Party at the Tomorrowland terrace for one night. I don't think I'm going to pre-schedule anything else...maybe one more dinner somewhere. Any not-to-be missed romantic-but-casual dining spots?

DH and I have spent our romantic dinners at La Hacienda in Epcot but I'm a sucker for a rose margarita and the shrimp tacos! And one of the most romantic evenings I had was just walking around Crescent Lake, enjoying the fireworks from EP and HS, and grabbing an ice cream on the Boardwalk. :lovestruc

Sorry a little off topic - but you are all so nice here - how do I go about getting a cab from DTD back to BC? (Must admit: I've actually never ridden in a cab in my life, the country bumpkin that I am.). Where do we get one? HOW do we get one? Is there a set fare? Do we pay at the conclusion of the trip? Tip to driver?

There are cab stands in the parking lot of DTD close to the backs of the stores (if that makes any sense...) The one I usually use is located behind the BASIN store.
Take that exit to the parking lot that is located between the basin store and THE WORLD OF DISNEY. You will have to go across the street that is directly behind the stores to get to the row of cabs waiting there.

It's like this:
Store
behind the store
street
cab stand (row of waiting cabs across this 2 lane street)
Parking lot

You can only get a cab at DTD using these cab stands. The drivers are not allowed drop offs/pick ups elsewhere at DTD, especially with all the construction...

There are other cab stands located all the way down to and past Planet Hollywood but with all the construction going on at DTD some of those parking lots are closed off so stick with the cab stand by WORLD of DISNEY/BASIN stores that is located across the street that runs right along the back of the sores and is directly behind the BASIN store.

There is no set fare. It depends on the time spent in the cab and the distance traveled. There is a link to a fare estimator later in this post. You pay at the end after your ride has concluded. Sometimes I have seen the fare go up a dollar or something when the driver closes out the meter after arriving at the destination. I'm not sure if this is a tax or what but I think there is an explanation on one of the stickers inside the cab for why this happens.

Be sure to only take Mears cabs as some of the others are "GYPSY" cabs and they will charge you higher rates or may even engage in other shenanigans. Mears cabs may come in different colors but they always have stickers identifying them as Mears cabs so don't go by what a driver SAYS. I've heard it relayed that sometimes these Gypsy cabs are not allowed to drop off guests at Disney Property so watch out.

Bottom line: Mears is good/other cabs maybe not so good....

Here is a link to the Mears site complete with a Fare indicator.
http://www.mearstransportation.com/taxi-services/

If you program this number into your cell phone: 407-422-2222 you will have the phone number to call a cab yourself. Keep in mind that you can always get a cab at the bell stand outside of any Disney resort. I keep that number handy so I can call a cab to pick me up when I am done shopping at Walmart. I go to Walmart because I need breakfast and drink supplies for the room and Walmart doesn't price gouge like the other resort markets or closest supermarkets do. The cab from BC/YC to Walmart is about $20.00 one way, a little more if you go during rush hour. It has taken less than 15 mins for a cab to come and pick me up from Walmart after I have called. This $40-$45 round trip sure beats the heck out of renting a car.

This ends the sermon on how to catch and use cabs while at WDW. I hope that you have found this information helpful. If you did be sure the next time you are in a cab at WDW to roll the window down and yell "THANKS NINJA MOM!!!" REALLY LOUDLY. I'll be listening.......

~NM

Just wanted to chime in and say that you should definitely listen to the Cast Members when they suggest one cab over another and when you don't have a cast member there to help, follow Ninja Mom's advice!! I once took a 'gypsy cab' not knowing the above advice. Our family took a cab from the Poly to the Boardwalk. I noticed he took the wrong way (a big loop) and since I had been there so many times and driven around the property, I knew he was going the wrong way. I called him out about it in the cab. He denied it and of course I was infuriated but we kept quiet until the Boardwalk. When the cast member opened the door, I told him right away and then he talked to another cast member and at this point, the cab driver asked me how much I thought I should pay and I said I would pay the amount we paid to get to the Poly earlier that night (around $15 or $20?? but not the $35 or $40 he was trying to charge us) and he took the amount we said it should cost. The cast members took down his cab information and then told me about the advice Ninja Mom gave above. VERY GOOD TO KNOW!!! And so wonderful of Disney to protect their guests because they weren't going to let the cab driver take us for that amount of money!

Next question as I begin packing for our BC stay in 9 days: When staying at the Values and the Mods (and cruises), I am in need of a hang over the door shoe organizer for bathroom and other stuff because of the lack of shelf space for 4 people, not that we're high maintenance in beauty products at all. I didn't feel this was the case at WL because there was so much more room. I've looked at pics of the bathroom/sink area at BC but still can't get a feel for it. (I'd rather not pack it if not needed, of course). If I felt I didn't need it at WL, do you think I will wish I had it at BC?

Ok, this is crazy considering I typically defend the Poly, even when it is a sinking ship topic like counter space...BUT I can't believe how much space we had at BC last year! My sister and I have curly hair which requires a gazillion products, special hairdryers, and of course my sister needs all her straightening products and tools in case the humidity drops below 98%. We also love all sorts of make-up (doesn't matter if we wear it, we just like 14 different lip glosses JUST IN CASE!) Let's not get into all of our favorite toiletries and jewelry we like to set out but between the two of us, we had a ton of space. That little shelf above the sink area holds a LOT. And below the sinks, there are shelves as well! Check out this picture from allears (I hope you can link to it): http://allears.net/acc/bc1109vanitytoilet.jpg

In this picture, there is a coffee maker, but ours was already set on the desk so it wasn't in the vanity area.

I do bring a hanging toiletry case when I travel though and that is where I put my make-up. My daughter has her own hanging organizer as well for her hair ties and brush and that helps keep things out of the way. But with the amount of space BC has, I was impressed!! Not sure if you use this trick, but I always have one 'cup' per person to put toothbrushes, toothpaste and small items that don't stand on their own (like toiletry samples). I just use the water cups in the hotel room. So my personal opinion is that you would not need a shoe organizer especially if you found WL to have enough space.

To anyone with a very recent stay at the resort- what is the entry procedure for SAB? Do you still need room keys? Magic Bands only? Or both?

Any comments?

New thread watch update- I will be working on a "new" FAQ thread throughout the day today so that we can migrate over when we are at 250 pages here.

Please do not post on the new thread until I give the :thumbsup2

Thanks!

Dee

To anyone with a very recent stay at the resort- what is the entry procedure for SAB? Do you still need room keys? Magic Bands only? Or both?

Any comments?

Regular keys will be going away very soon so just the magic bands at SAB.

Outlets. Staying YC - CL and what is the outlet situation? I have a power strip on my list of things to bring, but still curious. We'll have phones & camera batteries to charge and iPads here and there.....

We have stayed at both WL and the BC and the BC has much more space for toiletries than the WL. As others have said, there are shelves under the sink at the BC which I really missed when staying at the WL. The top of the sink and shelf above are similar, though. And the BC has a chest of drawers, too, like the WL does, which comes in handy for hiding the extra soap and shampoo. ;)

Outlets. Staying YC - CL and what is the outlet situation? I have a power strip on my list of things to bring, but still curious. We'll have phones & camera batteries to charge and iPads here and there.....
Even though there are a lot of outlets scattered around, I would still bring the power strip so that everything can be conveniently charged in one location.

what are the hair dryers like in the rooms? are they the typical hotel short-barrel kind, or are they a little bit bigger?

trying to cut one more thing out of my luggage :D

I too bought the over-the-door shoe hanger first for a stay at a value, but continue to bring it on our BC stays.

As PPs have mentioned, there is a nice amount of counter space, but when staying as long as we do (10-13 nights), I like using the shoe hanger as it keeps the space less cluttered. I even bring an inexpensive toothbrush holder to keep those "less cluttered" on the vanity itself.

Still use the shelves underneath the sinks for larger items. Then place empty suitcases under those which then serve as our dirty clothes "hampers." So, unfortunately, no room for hiding a dead body in our room. ;)

We definitely prefer to bring one and set it up by the desk. Let's us charge things in the same area, gives a place out of the way instead of having something there, something on the floor next to a wall outlet, having to use the ones in the vanity area.

what are the hair dryers like in the rooms? are they the typical hotel short-barrel kind, or are they a little bit bigger?

I think the regular rooms have the wall ones which are pretty short and the club level rooms have separate ones with a bit longer barrel. Also think you can request one of those from housekeeping if staying in a regular room.

Personally, I have tried both in the interest of packing one less thing and regret it each time. They just don't work as well on my hair and going in the summer, always wish I had my personal dryer there to help as much as possible. So no more saving space for me ... not worth it.

I think the regular rooms have the wall ones which are pretty short and the club level rooms have separate ones with a bit longer barrel. Also think you can request one of those from housekeeping if staying in a regular room.

Personally, I have tried both in the interest of packing one less thing and regret it each time. They just don't work as well on my hair and going in the summer, always wish I had my personal dryer there to help as much as possible. So no more saving space for me ... not worth it.

thanks! i usually regret it when i go without mine too. i'll keep it in unless i'm over the limit though (i am always that person at the airport with luggage and carry-on open on the floor reorganizing :worried:).

We definitely prefer to bring one and set it up by the desk. Let's us charge things in the same area, gives a place out of the way instead of having something there, something on the floor next to a wall outlet, having to use the ones in the vanity area.

That's what we do, too.

Still use the shelves underneath the sinks for larger items. Then place empty suitcases under those which then serve as our dirty clothes "hampers." So, unfortunately, no room for hiding a dead body in our room. ;)

Have you tried the back of the closet behind the ironing board covered by a bathrobe?

Just sayin' :rolleyes1

We're here. Room's not ready so we're just lounging in the lobby soaking it in right now. Lee Ann has gone over to ASM to pick up sister and BIL.

This is our third resort in three days. Lee Ann says never again. Too much moving. Can't say that I disagree

Can confirm they don't have cheese Danish in The Market Place. Cherry Danish and assorted muffins. I have a picture and can post when we get our room.

We're here. Room's not ready so we're just lounging in the lobby soaking it in right now. Lee Ann has gone over to ASM to pick up sister and BIL.

This is our third resort in three days. Lee Ann says never again. Too much moving. Can't say that I disagree

Can confirm they don't have cheese Danish in The Market Place. Cherry Danish and assorted muffins. I have a picture and can post when we get our room.

Hope you and Lee Ann have a wonderful time relaxing at our favourite place :goodvibes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter