2011 Ireland/ London Before or After Questions

It will be interesting to see how you like the Underground. We actually rode it to Holborn from Heathrow airport on the Picadilly Line. It can be crowded but it is really economical. 6 pounds versus 65 pounds for a cab. The Oyster card is really handy. We also rode the underground out to the RAF museum in Colindale. ( A short walk from the station to the museum). Just be sure to use the Underground during the off hours. We left Holborn at 8:30 one morning - what a zoo.

Let me know what your husband thinks of the RAF museum. I liked the planes a lot but they need more room.

I have big time trip envy. Have fun.

We did pre-nights at the Chancery Court this past June (prior to the Disney Magic trip to the Baltic)--we stayed there at xmas 2008 for the ABD K&L trip and really liked the location. This June I convinved my DW to take the tube from Heathrow to the Holborn station--she was leery, but in the end agreed it was easy, economical and fun. Easy one block walk from the Holborn station to the hotel--there is one set of stairs (not too steep or deep) that you have to carry your bags down at the Heathrow station, but other than that it was easy. There are 22 stops from the airport to Holborn, so plan on an hour or more on the tube--but it is confortable, and room for bags.

We did pre-nights at the Chancery Court this past June (prior to the Disney Magic trip to the Baltic)--we stayed there at xmas 2008 for the ABD K&L trip and really liked the location. This June I convinved my DW to take the tube from Heathrow to the Holborn station--she was leery, but in the end agreed it was easy, economical and fun. Easy one block walk from the Holborn station to the hotel--there is one set of stairs (not too steep or deep) that you have to carry your bags down at the Heathrow station, but other than that it was easy. There are 22 stops from the airport to Holborn, so plan on an hour or more on the tube--but it is confortable, and room for bags.

Thanks I am going to try and talk him into it. Are the rooms a decent size at Chancery Court, there will be 3 of us.

Denise

Hi,

When you say its a full day trip, how long does it take to get there and what is the best way?

Thanks,
Denise

Hi Denise,

Direct trains every hour from London Waterloo to Wool (the nearest station). Journey time is 2.5 hours. It's a couple of miles North from Wool to the museum.

Depending on how much time you want to spend at the museum, I would combine it with a trip to somewhere like Lulworth (5 miles South of Wool):

http://www.lulworthonline.co.uk/

Thanks I am going to try and talk him into it. Are the rooms a decent size at Chancery Court, there will be 3 of us.

Denise

they are--very nice, and a great b'fast (see if you can get that included in your rate). We had two rooms as there were four of us, adjoining--great (with a teen) to have two bathrooms! Exercise room is small but sufficient, no pool (but we didn't really miss it)--and a nice walk to St Pauls in one direction, and the British Museum in the other--plus the Holborn station and a Krispy Creme shop to boot! There were also small farmers markets on the street so you could get fresh fruit and other items fairly reasonably for day-trips out and about.

If you like castles, then around London you have The Tower of London, Hampton Court, Windsor Castle which is west of London and is easy to get to from Waterloo or Paddington Stations and Hever Castle (which was owned and renovated by the Astors). There is also Warwick Castle which I love, but is quite a way out of London, I'm not sure if coaches run there.

I'm not sure when exactly in July you would be visiting, but the Farnborough Air Show is usually in July and I'm sure could easily be reached by train.

Oxford Street is great for shopping and I love wandering around Covent Garden.

I hope you have a great visit, I live in a village between London & Windsor, so this is my local area.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter