**2011** Epcot Food & Wine Festival HAS ENDED. 2012 Festival 9/28 - 11/11

Every time I make a payment to Disney with a gift card they tell me to hold on to that card until after the date it will be actually used because if there's a cancellation the balance would have to go back to that card, and I always wondered what would happen if something did happen and you didn't have the original card any longer. Hopefully it all get straightened out for you! I have taken to marking my cards with a Sharpie with how I used them and then saving them until I am SURE I don't need them any longer.

Yeah, as soon as I heard about the cancellation, I knew it was going to be a problem. We learned on the phone yesterday that we will hold on to gift cards until we redeem the full value of what we purchase. They are sending me a replacement via Fed Ex 2nd day, so it should arrive Friday and I'll have it when I leave on Monday.

DH, DD16, and I were at F&W last week and over the course of 5 days sampled something from each food booth. We generally went to 5-6 booths each day and split one item so we could try lots of different samples. Here are my reviews and rankings of the dishes we tried:

Top 5
1. Kalua pork slider with sweet and sour Dole pineapple chutney and spicy mayo - Hawaii: This was my absolute favorite item I sampled at the festival. I loved the salty and smoky pork, spicy mayo, and sweet pineapple combo on the soft roll. Delicious!

2. Crispy shrimp taco - Mexico: I really loved this a lot. The shrimp were crispy and sweet, and combined with the crunchy cabbage and spicy chipotle mayo on the soft flour tortilla, it was a party in my mouth.

3. Harissa chicken roll - Morocco: All three of us picked this as one of our top items at F&W. It was basically an egg roll wrapper filled with a delicious spicy mix of chicken and veggies and spices.

4. Escargot in garlic and parsley brioche - France: Yum! These little bites are so awesome and flavorful. I was sorry I had to share with DH and DD. If you have never had escargot I would encourage you to give these a try and you will be pleasantly surprised.

5. Lettuce wrap with roast pork and kimchi slaw - South Korea: The combination of the fresh crisp lettuce and the rich pork along with the spicy kimchi is really flavorful and delicious.

Five runners-up
1. Warm chocolate lava cake with Baileys ganache - Ireland: The Baileys sauce really makes this dish. The serving is tiny, so sharing among three people was challenging, but for one person this would be just right.

2. Lobster and scallop fisherman's pie - Ireland: Although the lobster and scallops were hard to find in this dish, it still had a nice flavor and was served piping hot.

3. Spicy tuna sushi roll - Japan: We all love sushi and this did not disappoint. It was fresh tasting and nicely spicy.

4. Beef empanada - Argentina: The outer crust was flaky and the filling was slightly spicy and meaty.

5. Belgian waffle with berry compote and whipped cream - Belgium: DD and DH especially loved this dish. The berries were tart and sweet and added a nice punch to the otherwise plain waffle.

Other tasty items
-Swedish meatballs with lingonberries - Scandinavia: These tasted like the Swedish meatballs my mom used to make. Tasty with a nice rich gravy and the lingonberries added a nice contrasting flavor.
-Baked cheese ravioli with creamy beef bolognese - Italy: Rich and creamy comfort food, DD especially enjoyed this.
-Ropa vieja (braised beef) with rice - Caribbean: The meat was really tender and had a hint of spice to it.
-Black pepper shrimp with Sichuan noodles - China: DD and DH both put this in their top 5. While I liked it, I didn't think it was special enough to rank that high, but it was tasty and the shrimp were perfectly cooked.
-Dessert trio - desserts and champagne booth: I liked the lemon chiffon, which was smooth and tart, but DD and DH did not. You would have to really like lemon to enjoy this dessert. DD and DH really enjoyed the tres leches verrine, but I thought it was too cinnamony and wet. We all liked the white chocolate macadamia mousse with dark chocolate pearls. The flavor was nice and the nuts added a nice textural element.
-Chicken souvlaki - Greece: The chicken was tender but the tzatziki, which I normally love, was too garlicky for my taste.
-Nuernberger sausage in a pretzel roll - Germany: The pretzel roll was a bit dry but overall not a bad dish. The spicy mustard was good.
-Maple and Moosehead beer-glazed salmon with barley salad - Canada: The salmon was excellent with just a hint of maple flavoring. I did not like the barley salad. It left a filmy feeling in my mouth - kind of reminded me of how my mouth felt after eating Fruity Pebbles as a kid!
-Kielbasa and potato pierogie with caramelized onions and sour cream - Poland: I think this item had been sitting for a while because it was just barely warm, so that may have affected my perception. The kielbasa was delicious but the pierogie was a bit gummy and the onions were mushy.
-Seared mahi mahi with rice, hearts of palm, and coconut-lime sauce: The fish was nicely cooked and the sauce had a really nice flavor.
-Lobster roll - Hops and Barley booth: This was okay and the lobster had a nice texture but it was a little bland.

The bad news
-Shrimp cake on a sugarcane skewer with Singapore noodles - Singapore: This was a soggy, gooey mess and was the overall loser for all three of us.
-Shrimp on the barbie with pepper berry citrus glaze - Australia: The shrimp were small and chewy and the sauce was cloyingly sweet. None of us liked this dish either.
-Seared filet of beef with smashed sweet potatoes and braai sauce - South Africa: I did not like the barbecue sauce on the beef, and the sweet potatoes were bland.
-Linguica sausage with onions, peppers, and olives - Portugal: The sausage had a strong flavor that I did not enjoy and the veggies were mushy.
-Lamb slider with tomato chutney - New Zealand: I have never liked lamb and after trying this, I still don't. The gamey, pungent flavor just doesn't agree with me.

DH, DD16, and I were at F&W last week and over the course of 5 days sampled something from each food booth. We generally went to 5-6 booths each day and split one item so we could try lots of different samples. Here are my reviews and rankings of the dishes we tried:

Top 5
1. Kalua pork slider with sweet and sour Dole pineapple chutney and spicy mayo - Hawaii: This was my absolute favorite item I sampled at the festival. I loved the salty and smoky pork, spicy mayo, and sweet pineapple combo on the soft roll. Delicious!

2. Crispy shrimp taco - Mexico: I really loved this a lot. The shrimp were crispy and sweet, and combined with the crunchy cabbage and spicy chipotle mayo on the soft flour tortilla, it was a party in my mouth.

3. Harissa chicken roll - Morocco: All three of us picked this as one of our top items at F&W. It was basically an egg roll wrapper filled with a delicious spicy mix of chicken and veggies and spices.

4. Escargot in garlic and parsley brioche - France: Yum! These little bites are so awesome and flavorful. I was sorry I had to share with DH and DD. If you have never had escargot I would encourage you to give these a try and you will be pleasantly surprised.

5. Lettuce wrap with roast pork and kimchi slaw - South Korea: The combination of the fresh crisp lettuce and the rich pork along with the spicy kimchi is really flavorful and delicious.

Five runners-up
1. Warm chocolate lava cake with Baileys ganache - Ireland: The Baileys sauce really makes this dish. The serving is tiny, so sharing among three people was challenging, but for one person this would be just right.

2. Lobster and scallop fisherman's pie - Ireland: Although the lobster and scallops were hard to find in this dish, it still had a nice flavor and was served piping hot.

3. Spicy tuna sushi roll - Japan: We all love sushi and this did not disappoint. It was fresh tasting and nicely spicy.

4. Beef empanada - Argentina: The outer crust was flaky and the filling was slightly spicy and meaty.

5. Belgian waffle with berry compote and whipped cream - Belgium: DD and DH especially loved this dish. The berries were tart and sweet and added a nice punch to the otherwise plain waffle.

Other tasty items
-Swedish meatballs with lingonberries - Scandinavia: These tasted like the Swedish meatballs my mom used to make. Tasty with a nice rich gravy and the lingonberries added a nice contrasting flavor.
-Baked cheese ravioli with creamy beef bolognese - Italy: Rich and creamy comfort food, DD especially enjoyed this.
-Ropa vieja (braised beef) with rice - Caribbean: The meat was really tender and had a hint of spice to it.
-Black pepper shrimp with Sichuan noodles - China: DD and DH both put this in their top 5. While I liked it, I didn't think it was special enough to rank that high, but it was tasty and the shrimp were perfectly cooked.
-Dessert trio - desserts and champagne booth: I liked the lemon chiffon, which was smooth and tart, but DD and DH did not. You would have to really like lemon to enjoy this dessert. DD and DH really enjoyed the tres leches verrine, but I thought it was too cinnamony and wet. We all liked the white chocolate macadamia mousse with dark chocolate pearls. The flavor was nice and the nuts added a nice textural element.
-Chicken souvlaki - Greece: The chicken was tender but the tzatziki, which I normally love, was too garlicky for my taste.
-Nuernberger sausage in a pretzel roll - Germany: The pretzel roll was a bit dry but overall not a bad dish. The spicy mustard was good.
-Maple and Moosehead beer-glazed salmon with barley salad - Canada: The salmon was excellent with just a hint of maple flavoring. I did not like the barley salad. It left a filmy feeling in my mouth - kind of reminded me of how my mouth felt after eating Fruity Pebbles as a kid!
-Kielbasa and potato pierogie with caramelized onions and sour cream - Poland: I think this item had been sitting for a while because it was just barely warm, so that may have affected my perception. The kielbasa was delicious but the pierogie was a bit gummy and the onions were mushy.
-Seared mahi mahi with rice, hearts of palm, and coconut-lime sauce: The fish was nicely cooked and the sauce had a really nice flavor.
-Lobster roll - Hops and Barley booth: This was okay and the lobster had a nice texture but it was a little bland.

The bad news
-Shrimp cake on a sugarcane skewer with Singapore noodles - Singapore: This was a soggy, gooey mess and was the overall loser for all three of us.
-Shrimp on the barbie with pepper berry citrus glaze - Australia: The shrimp were small and chewy and the sauce was cloyingly sweet. None of us liked this dish either.
-Seared filet of beef with smashed sweet potatoes and braai sauce - South Africa: I did not like the barbecue sauce on the beef, and the sweet potatoes were bland.
-Linguica sausage with onions, peppers, and olives - Portugal: The sausage had a strong flavor that I did not enjoy and the veggies were mushy.
-Lamb slider with tomato chutney - New Zealand: I have never liked lamb and after trying this, I still don't. The gamey, pungent flavor just doesn't agree with me.
Thanks for taking the time to write everything up and sharing with everyone

Hello everyone, just wanted to give my input on some F&W stuff that I tried the other day. Hope its helpful!

Shrimp on the barbie from Australia- Very tasty, really liked the glaze, I believe it comes with 5

Waffle from Belgium- really enjoyed this, the waffle was nice and light and the berry compote was delicious. It had different berries in it which I liked

Frozen caipirinha from brazil- nice lime flavor, can really taste the alcohol so that's always a plus. Small portion but still good.

Cheddar cheese soup from Canada- good as always, wish you got more

Chipotle chicken sausage with corn polenta from Canada- love this! The sausage was nice and spicy and the corn polenta was warm and sweet. Got 2 of these

Jerk spiced chicken drumstick from Caribbean- when you walk by the Caribbean stand, this is all you smell! Loved the jerk seasoning. The chicken was juicy and hot

Dragon berry colada from Caribbean- another small portion like the caipirinha. This was a little too sweet for me, and the alcohol was a little harder to notice

Black pepper shrimp with noodles from china- noodles had a nice flavor, the shrimp were a little too bland for me

Potstickers from china- one of my favorites! Served nice and hot, with a really tasty sauce on the plate for dipping

White chocolate mousse with dark chocolate pearls from Dessert & Champagne stand- mousse was delicious and the pearls were crunchy and very good. Nice little snack

Coq au Vin from France- wasn't what I expected, but it was delicious. The chicken was moist, and the sauce was to die for. I liked the pearl onions too, nice touch

Parisian cosmo slushie from France- one word.. YUM! Had a few... :)

Sausage in a pretzel roll from Germany- sausage was very tasty and hot, roll was delicious. Liked the mustard it was served with

Apple strudel from Germany- caramel sauce was awesome, big fan of this dessert. Pastry was nice as well

Greek salad- not too much dressing which I liked. Tasted nice and fresh. Would have liked more pita though,it was only a small sliver

Chicken souvlaki- really enjoyed this, Loved the tzatziki and the chicken was moist and flavorful

Grilled cheese with honey and pistachios from Greece- wasn't too sure about this, but once I took a taste I was hooked. The combination of flavors was really nice!

Pork slider from Hawaii- big fan of this. Pork was nice and sweet and I had lots of pineapple on mine. Very good

Pumpkin mousse with craisins- mousse was very good, reminded me of pumpkin pie filling. Had a little cake in the middle which was a nice touch.

Ravioli from Italy- nice sized portion. Sauce was tasty and hearty

Chocolate covered cannoli from Italy- a little small, but I enjoyed the candied fruit

Spicy tuna roll from Japan- nice portion, very good and fresh

Kielbasa and potato pierogie from Poland- another favorite. Caramelized onions were a nice touch and the pierogie wasn't greasy at all which I was worried about. Nice plate

Golabki from Poland- served nice and warm, the pork had a great flavor

Sausage from onions, peppers and olives from Portugal- wasn't too impressed, I thought it was a little salty

Seared filet and mashed sweet potatoes from South Africa- filet was tender and delicious. Potatoes had a little too much cinnamon for my taste but the overall dish was very tasty.

Pork lettuce wrap from South Korea- liked this a lot, kimchi slaw was awesome

If you have any questions, ask away :)

We just got home late on Tuesday night after a week at F&W. DH and I are vegetarians so our choices at the booths were extremely limited but we were happy to discover that the few vegetarian offerings were really good. There were also three culinary seminars featuring vegetarian food during our stay and we enjoyed those very much and will be trying out the recipes at home.

Here are the dishes we tried at the booths:

Bunny Chow: Vegetable Curry served over Yorkshire pudding (South Africa booth): This was really tasty. So good that after eating it, we immediately went back and we each got another one. The curry was tasty but not overly spicy. The official description says that it is served in a bread bowl but it was actually served over something resembling Yorkshire pudding, which is similar to a popover if you're not familiar with Yorkshire pudding. It sounds like an odd combination but they went together very well.

Griddled Greek Cheese (Greece): Loved this too! The cheese was firm and chewy inside and crisp outside. The honey and pistachios added the perfect contrasting flavors and textures. We had this twice.

Greek Salad (Greece): Nice little salad with lettuce, tomato, onions, feta and olives. Went well with the griddled cheese.

Kerrygold Cheese Selection (Ireland): Enjoyed all of the cheeses. The apple chutney was good as was the brown bread but they give you one tiny piece so there was not enough of the bread for the amount of cheese. They should give you three pieces of the brown bread.

For dessert we tried just two things:
Pumpkin Mousse (Hops and Barley): Loved this! DH isn't a fan of pumpkin pie and even he enjoyed this. It was a bit like a pumpkin trifle since it had a bit of cake, the creamy pumpkin mousse and a bit of fruit (craisins). Really enjoyed it.

White Chocolate Mousse (Dessert and Champagne): This was good but I did not think it was as tasty as the pumpkin mousse.

I did try a couple of wines at the booths. I would have liked to try more but got more than enough wine during the seminars we attended! I'm not very knowledgeable about wine, so I can only say that I tried these and enjoyed them.

Neige Bubble (Canada): This was not at the official Canada booth but at another station in Canada. This is the very first thing I tried on our arrival day. It was hot and a bit humid and the Neige Bubble was a refreshing sparkling wine. I enjoyed it as we walked around the WS, checking out all the booths.

Terrazas Reserva Malbec (Argentina): A friend of mine was recently telling me about his interest in wines from the Malbec region of Argentina so I decided to give this one a try. I got it on our last afternoon at F&W and sipped it as we made our last pass around the WS. Both DH and I enjoyed it.

ETA: I need to correct this last entry based on something I learned today. Malbec is a type of grape, not a region. It's a French grape brought to Argentina in the 19th century. Despite being a French grape, these days it is associated with wines produced in the Mendoza region of Argentina!

Top 5

Five runners-up

Other tasty items

The bad news

Hello everyone, just wanted to give my input on some F&W stuff that I tried the other day. Hope its helpful!

Shrimp on the barbie from Australia- Very tasty, really liked the glaze, I believe it comes with 5

Waffle from Belgium- really enjoyed this, the waffle was nice and light and the berry compote was delicious. It had different berries in it which I liked

Frozen caipirinha from brazil- nice lime flavor, can really taste the alcohol so that's always a plus. Small portion but still good.

Cheddar cheese soup from Canada- good as always, wish you got more

Chipotle chicken sausage with corn polenta from Canada- love this! The sausage was nice and spicy and the corn polenta was warm and sweet. Got 2 of these

Jerk spiced chicken drumstick from Caribbean- when you walk by the Caribbean stand, this is all you smell! Loved the jerk seasoning. The chicken was juicy and hot

Dragon berry colada from Caribbean- another small portion like the caipirinha. This was a little too sweet for me, and the alcohol was a little harder to notice

Black pepper shrimp with noodles from china- noodles had a nice flavor, the shrimp were a little too bland for me

Potstickers from china- one of my favorites! Served nice and hot, with a really tasty sauce on the plate for dipping

White chocolate mousse with dark chocolate pearls from Dessert & Champagne stand- mousse was delicious and the pearls were crunchy and very good. Nice little snack

Coq au Vin from France- wasn't what I expected, but it was delicious. The chicken was moist, and the sauce was to die for. I liked the pearl onions too, nice touch

Parisian cosmo slushie from France- one word.. YUM! Had a few... :)

Sausage in a pretzel roll from Germany- sausage was very tasty and hot, roll was delicious. Liked the mustard it was served with

Apple strudel from Germany- caramel sauce was awesome, big fan of this dessert. Pastry was nice as well

Greek salad- not too much dressing which I liked. Tasted nice and fresh. Would have liked more pita though,it was only a small sliver

Chicken souvlaki- really enjoyed this, Loved the tzatziki and the chicken was moist and flavorful

Grilled cheese with honey and pistachios from Greece- wasn't too sure about this, but once I took a taste I was hooked. The combination of flavors was really nice!

Pork slider from Hawaii- big fan of this. Pork was nice and sweet and I had lots of pineapple on mine. Very good

Pumpkin mousse with craisins- mousse was very good, reminded me of pumpkin pie filling. Had a little cake in the middle which was a nice touch.

Ravioli from Italy- nice sized portion. Sauce was tasty and hearty

Chocolate covered cannoli from Italy- a little small, but I enjoyed the candied fruit

Spicy tuna roll from Japan- nice portion, very good and fresh

Kielbasa and potato pierogie from Poland- another favorite. Caramelized onions were a nice touch and the pierogie wasn't greasy at all which I was worried about. Nice plate

Golabki from Poland- served nice and warm, the pork had a great flavor

Sausage from onions, peppers and olives from Portugal- wasn't too impressed, I thought it was a little salty

Seared filet and mashed sweet potatoes from South Africa- filet was tender and delicious. Potatoes had a little too much cinnamon for my taste but the overall dish was very tasty.

Pork lettuce wrap from South Korea- liked this a lot, kimchi slaw was awesome

If you have any questions, ask away :)

We just got home late on Tuesday night after a week at F&W. DH and I are vegetarians so our choices at the booths were extremely limited but we were happy to discover that the few vegetarian offerings were really good. There were also three culinary seminars featuring vegetarian food during our stay and we enjoyed those very much and will be trying out the recipes at home.

Bunny Chow: Vegetable Curry served over Yorkshire pudding (South Africa booth): This was really tasty. So good that after eating it, we immediately went back and we each got another one. The curry was tasty but not overly spicy. The official description says that it is served in a bread bowl but it was actually served over something resembling Yorkshire pudding, which is similar to a popover if you're not familiar with Yorkshire pudding. It sounds like an odd combination but they went together very well.

Griddled Greek Cheese (Greece): Loved this too! The cheese was firm and chewy inside and crisp outside. The honey and pistachios added the perfect contrasting flavors and textures. We had this twice.

Greek Salad (Greece): Nice little salad with lettuce, tomato, onions, feta and olives. Went well with the griddled cheese.

Kerrygold Cheese Selection (Ireland): Enjoyed all of the cheeses. The apple chutney was good as was the brown bread but they give you one tiny piece so there was not enough of the bread for the amount of cheese. They should give you three pieces of the brown bread.

Pumpkin Mousse (Hops and Barley): Loved this! DH isn't a fan of pumpkin pie and even he enjoyed this. It was a bit like a pumpkin trifle since it had a bit of cake, the creamy pumpkin mousse and a bit of fruit (craisins). Really enjoyed it.

White Chocolate Mousse (Dessert and Champagne): This was good but I did not think it was as tasty as the pumpkin mousse.

I did try a couple of wines at the booths. I would have liked to try more but got more than enough wine during the seminars we attended! I'm not very knowledgeable about wine, so I can only say that I tried these and enjoyed them.

Neige Bubble (Canada): This was not at the official Canada booth but at another station in Canada. This is the very first thing I tried on our arrival day. It was hot and a bit humid and the Neige Bubble was a refreshing sparkling wine. I enjoyed it as we walked around the WS, checking out all the booths.

Terrazas Reserva Malbec (Argentina): A friend of mine was recently telling me about his interest in wines from the Malbec region of Argentina so I decided to give this one a try. I got it on our last afternoon at F&W and sipped it as we made our last pass around the WS. Both DH and I enjoyed it.

Thanks all for the great reviews! Hoping some of the good stuff will be left as we are visiting on the last day!:scared1:

Thanks for this! I'm going Nov 8th- I'm veg, too, and I was worried after looking over the menus for the booths. I feel better now!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to post the recent reviews - very informative and helpful. I'm doing the single digit dance :banana: Only 9 more days!

OMGoodness! The Pumpkin Mousse at Hops & Barley is amazing! If you like pumpkin, you need to try this! It has dried cranberries and some kind of oat crumble on top. YUM! Also, a delicious mini treat at only $1.50!

Also, Ravoli at Italy and Fisherman's Stew at Ireland are now in my top 5! :goodvibes

It was a very successful day!

Is the Coq au Vin made with white or dark meat chicken?

I think the festival guide says it's dark but not 100% sure because I don't have it in front of me. It seemed to be a mix to me. I don't normally like dark meat but it was really good. One of the best things I had all week.

I think the festival guide says it's dark but not 100% sure because I don't have it in front of me. It seemed to be a mix to me. I don't normally like dark meat but it was really good. One of the best things I had all week.

3 more days until I'm having lunch at F&W!!!!!!!

Thanks to all the reviews, I decided to try EVERYTHING! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter