2010 costs more than 2011?

flexsmom

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
I was looking at the "Get Great Rates on 2010 Season Trips" section of the ABD website, where it says to "act fast" to get the 2010 season rates. I was seriously considering a Knights & Lights, when I realized from browsing that the 2010 rates are more than the 2011 rates for the same week? I suppose they are likely locked into contracts and perhaps they got better deals for next season, but I thought that was odd, especially with the marketing inference that prices would be LOWER to get this year's rates.

Does ABD ever reduce their rates, or with the new policy, will they simply cancel the trip if they don't have enough guests?

That is kind of sad... But anyway, if you notice, ABD has a "range" of rates for each trip. They generally start out somewhere in the middle of the range. As the trips start to fill up, and as it gets later in the season, the trip prices tend to go up & up within the ranges (I have never seen a trip actually at the *bottom* of the range, even when the trips first come out for the year). So you're more likely to see the opposite of what you asked about. As the year goes on, the prices generally go up.

The only weeks left for Knights & Lights on the 2010 offer page are Dec 20th & 27th. So that's still far enough out that they haven't quite hit the 85 days mark (ABD won't cancel a 2010 trip within 85 days of departure) So they are probably doing a last-ditch effort to fill up the trips. ABD folks have told me more than once that they are really trying *not* to cancel trips.

But they really are trying to advertise it as some sort of huge savings... whereas it will cost you $100 more than 2011. That does seem rather counter-productive, but I guess they're hoping that nobody notices.

Sayhello

With any of the 2010 vs. 2011 trips, cross check the actual trip details as well. Several of the trips have changed - less days, less activities - for 2011. For example, the South Africa trip is different; two days LESS than the old trip. You may not be comparing the same things. This may also account for some of the differences in price.

The only time I've seen the actual rate at the bottom of the quoted range was when the EBD was offered. The regular rate minus the EBD was equal to the lowest rate on the scale - or at least it was for the two ABDs we booked with the EBD. The one time I've seen the quoted rate go down was on the now-defunct Nothern CA trip this past summer. The only trip that I noticed for 2010 where the rates increased was for certain dates on Vivia Italia. Be interesting to see if/when the rates go up for Egypt, since it seems to be a popular choice this year, at least among Disers.

With any of the 2010 vs. 2011 trips, cross check the actual trip details as well. Several of the trips have changed - less days, less activities - for 2011. For example, the South Africa trip is different; two days LESS than the old trip. You may not be comparing the same things. This may also account for some of the differences in price.
Knights & Lights is one of the trips that is virtually the same for 2011 as it was for 2010. The High Tea at Harrods is replaced with a generic "Lunch in London", and there is the addition for 2011 of a walking tour of London on Day 3. Other than that, the itineraries read virtually the same.

But yes, some of the trips have been scaled down. Or offer more expensive "extended" trips, that are pretty much what the trip looked like in 2010 (China, for example).

Sayhello

One thing I was a bit surprised to see was the increase in price for the 2011 Gateway trips. K&L Gateway went from $2999 to $3529 and Italy from $2959 to $3269. That seems like a pretty steep one-year increase for a trip that is marketed as being more affordable. Keeping it below $3000 did make it seem more like a bargain, even if it was just a psychological thing.

One thing I was a bit surprised to see was the increase in price for the 2011 Gateway trips. K&L Gateway went from $2999 to $3529 and Italy from $2959 to $3269. That seems like a pretty steep one-year increase for a trip that is marketed as being more affordable. Keeping it below $3000 did make it seem more like a bargain, even if it was just a psychological thing.

That's a good part of the reason I'm really leaning to the Viva Italia trip instead of the Gateway to Italy trip.
There is still quite a hefty difference, but for what I'm looking for, I think I'll get more bang for my buck that way. Also, the dates for the gateway trip don't align well with my availability.

That *does* seem odd, since, as you say, the whole point of the Gateway trip was to make it a more affordable option. :confused3 I guess if people weren't willing to pay it, they wouldn't charge it. I'd like to think that they'll eventually price themselves out of the market, and have to adjust, but that's never seemed to be an issue for Disney. They just keep upping the price of tickets to the Parks, and people still pay the $$$$ for them. It seems some people are willing to pay anything just because it's Disney (look at the huge pricetag for DCL!) and Disney banks on that.

I still remember paying $12 for a book of tickets to Disneyland. Man, I'm dating myself!

Sayhello

Now that the trips are in the $4k's, they probably figure $3,269 sounds like a bargain.

Also, with the South Africa trip, it looks like the 10 day trip cost is more expensive than the 12 day. Too bad, the cut down the number of days. Anyone knows why? And to those who have done the trip, were those 2 days worth looking at pre-adventure?

That *does* seem odd, since, as you say, the whole point of the Gateway trip was to make it a more affordable option. :confused3 I guess if people weren't willing to pay it, they wouldn't charge it. I'd like to think that they'll eventually price themselves out of the market, and have to adjust, but that's never seemed to be an issue for Disney. They just keep upping the price of tickets to the Parks, and people still pay the $$$$ for them. It seems some people are willing to pay anything just because it's Disney (look at the huge pricetag for DCL!) and Disney banks on that.

I still remember paying $12 for a book of tickets to Disneyland. Man, I'm dating myself!

Sayhello

I have never used ABD and I am by no means an expert, but price changes for international travel also have to reflect the change in value of the US Dollar vs. other currencies. The US Dollar index has fallen 14% from its peak in June.

Since Disney sells the packages in US Dollars, I'm sure they try to hedge the change in the currency exchange rate when determining prices well in advance of the actual travel dates. However, as long as the trend is a falling dollar vs. other currencies, you'll see prices go up for identical international travel itineraries even if Disney doesn't make any more profit and local costs are flat (which is unlikely).

If you want cheaper international travel, you want a stronger dollar not a weaker one. Unfortunately, that's not the current path we are on.

Yes, if they don;t have enough people for a trip, they will call you and ask you to go a different week. If you can't you will be re-inbursed. I went of 2 wonderful ABD trips and I wish the prices didn't go up! They did alot from 2008

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter