• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2009 trips on DVC points

Iggipolka

<a href="http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/" targ
Anyone know when DVC will release point charts for 2009 ABD trips? We really want to go on the Alaska trip using our points. We have to book by the end of October to be within our use year.

Thanks!

MS has the numbers-just give em a call. I believe early booking for Alaska is 446 points.
Good Luck!
Dizma

Sometimes they drive me crazy. You would think that DVC would get these posted on their website if they already know them. It's a bit difficult to plan anything if you have absolutely no idea what the points are till you call. We had to really plan how to use points from 4 resorts for our trip next month.

I called MS on Saturday just to get general information about the South Africa trip and I was surprised that they already had the point information. It is 628 points for adults. Sorry, but I didn't ask about any of the other trips.

I'm on the phone with MS right now. The Alaska trip is at 446 per person. I'm not clear if that's the early booking price or not.

What's a little intimidating is the cancellation policy when booking only with points.
If you cancel between the day you booked and 89 days prior to the trip, you loose 54 pts per person.
60-89 days prior to the trip, you loose 25% of the points used
30-59 days prior to the trip, you loose 50% of the points used

All other unused points are only available to be used as reservation pts (non-Disney property) and have to be used within your use year.

Also, the only time you can buy trip insurance, is the day that you make the reservation.

So..hopefully we won't have to cancel.
Otherwise, we'll be going to Alaska in September!

Sometimes they drive me crazy. You would think that DVC would get these posted on their website if they already know them. It's a bit difficult to plan anything if you have absolutely no idea what the points are till you call. We had to really plan how to use points from 4 resorts for our trip next month.

Now I called today and was told that they dont have the points chart yet.. and I said why not.. and she basically said it was a chain of command... Makes no sense to me either.. how are you suppose to book a trip if they wont list the points chart?

Now I called today and was told that they dont have the points chart yet.. and I said why not.. and she basically said it was a chain of command... Makes no sense to me either.. how are you suppose to book a trip if they wont list the points chart?
\

That's very strange because I called today as well and not only did they have the point charts, but I was able to book my trip!

I'd call back and get a different CM.

\

That's very strange because I called today as well and not only did they have the point charts, but I was able to book my trip!

I'd call back and get a different CM.

Did you get the point chart or did you ask for a specific trip?
I haven't made my mind up on which I want to do...so I wanted to look at the point chart.

Did you get the point chart or did you ask for a specific trip?
I haven't made my mind up on which I want to do...so I wanted to look at the point chart.

That may be the difference. I asked about a specific trip. However, if they can pull up the information for a specific trip, if you ask them for the points of multiple trips, they should be able to pull that up for you!

I wish they would just post the points chart..

I called today for the Viva Italia

Early booking pts - 486 (a), 433 (c)
cash- $3399 (a), 3029 (c)

Regular pts - 528 (a), 476 (c)
cash- $3699 (a), $3329 (c)

Ireland

Regular points - 471 (a), 424 (c)
cash -$3299 (a), 2969 (c)

EB - pts -428 (a), 381 (c)
cash - $2999, 2669

I think if you call and have a specific trip that you are interested in then they will look it up... its a $95 exchange fee (or so she said) and if you cancel something about the points not going back to be used by Disney, but trips like ABD, Concierge, etc...

Wow! Ireland points REALLY went up - we did early booking and the points were only 333 a person for the trip we took in May. Now early booking is 428 points per person???? That's a 78% increase!!!

Wow! Ireland points REALLY went up - we did early booking and the points were only 333 a person for the trip we took in May. Now early booking is 428 points per person???? That's a 78% increase!!!
Actually, that's a 29% increase. Still significant...

Sayhello

Wow, I had hoped to use all points to go on the Ireland. With our allotment, I'll be lucky to have 20 points left. When I figured the trip out with last year's points, I had enough for a week left in Disney World. That's not going to happen now....What an increase

I wish they would just post the points chart..

I called today for the Viva Italia

Early booking pts - 486 (a), 433 (c)
cash- $3399 (a), 3029 (c)

Regular pts - 528 (a), 476 (c)
cash- $3699 (a), $3329 (c)

Ireland

Regular points - 471 (a), 424 (c)
cash -$3299 (a), 2969 (c)

EB - pts -428 (a), 381 (c)
cash - $2999, 2669

I think if you call and have a specific trip that you are interested in then they will look it up... its a $95 exchange fee (or so she said) and if you cancel something about the points not going back to be used by Disney, but trips like ABD, Concierge, etc...

This calculates to $7 per point.

[ex. $3399 cash or 486 points. $3399/486=$6.99/point]

I really don't understand how DVC works. If you buy a timeshare that gives you 100 points a year, it appears to me you are only getting $700 worth of trip value on ABD. Your annual dues eat into this plus the initial investment. Can somebody explain how DVC makes sense? This sounds like a huge ripoff. I know it has to have merit though. What am I missing? That is probably too big of question to be answered on this forum. I probably need to just set through the presentation. But I have always been very skeptical of timeshares, but I know many of you are in this. Please give me a brief explanation please.

UPDATE: Okay I've been reading several sites trying to understand this. I think I understand that if you buy a 100 point plan at say $100/point, you get 100 points a year each year until 2052 or whatever the expiration year is. This makes much more financial sense if that is the way it works. I'm still clueless though. One of our best friends is in WDW right now and they are going to the big sales pitch breakfast in the morning. I'm anxious to hear how it works.

Chad

This calculates to $7 per point.

[ex. $3399 cash or 486 points. $3399/486=$6.99/point]

I really don't understand how DVC works. If you buy a timeshare that gives you 100 points a year, it appears to me you are only getting $700 worth of trip value on ABD. Your annual dues eat into this plus the initial investment. Can somebody explain how DVC makes sense? This sounds like a huge ripoff. I know it has to have merit though. What am I missing? That is probably too big of question to be answered on this forum. I probably need to just set through the presentation. But I have always been very skeptical of timeshares, but I know many of you are in this. Please give me a brief explanation please.

UPDATE: Okay I've been reading several sites trying to understand this. I think I understand that if you buy a 100 point plan at say $100/point, you get 100 points a year each year until 2052 or whatever the expiration year is. This makes much more financial sense if that is the way it works. I'm still clueless though. One of our best friends is in WDW right now and they are going to the big sales pitch breakfast in the morning. I'm anxious to hear how it works.

Chad

100 points buys you very little, especially if you plan to ever trade. To trade out for a 2-bedroom through II you need 270 points. So that is probably more the average ownership amount. DH and I own 650 points and it is just the two of us. It would be tough to go over the entire program on this one thread. To get a better understanding you probably should monitor the DVC board here on the DIS. It takes some time to learn all the nuances.

Thanks for the comments Eva. Our friends at WDW right now went through the presentation Friday morning. They were blown away. I think they are going to try to convince us to buy in as well as them.

In a nutshell, if you are going to go to WDW once a year for the next several years and try to sprinkle in a few ABD trips, is DVC worth it? If so, my two main questions would be the follwoing:

1. Based on your experience, what point level would a family of four need for the conditions of at least one trip a year to WDW and an occasional ABD trip?

2. Would you buy from one of the resellers to get a cheaper rate?

Thanks for your time.

Chad

There are many many ins and outs of DVC ownership. There are entire very popular websites devoted to the subject. Here's the cheap Cliffs notes version: For a family of 4, count on 300+ points for a visit to WDW during spring break in a 2 bedroom DVC unit. 600-700 in a 3 bedroom. Points are allotted yearly. You can bank from the previous year and borrow from the following year so that you can use a maximum of 3 years worth of points for one vacation. In addition to the $70-$100 purchase price of points, it will cost roughly $5- $7 per point in maintenance fees each year. These are due whether or not you use your points.

So, that 300 point package will cost you: $21000 - $30,000 in upfront costs and $1500 -$2100 PER YEAR in maintenance fees.

To use on an ABD trip, those 300 points will get you, again roughly, 2/3 of a one person's trip to Ireland (airfare not included ;) ). That is equivalent to $2000 worth of trip. About what your maintenance fees cost.

In contrast, using those same points for a stay in a DVC resort will get you the equivalent of a one week stay that is worth between $3000 (if you rent points from someone at $10/point) to $6000 (if you rent directly thru Disney).

So, while it is worthwhile to use DVC points for their original intention - to stay at DVC resorts, it is not worthwhile to use them for ABD trips, unless you have DVC points that would otherwise go unused.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter