2008 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Reviews

Edited to clarify: I'm not criticizing people who use a table throughout the evening, especially folks who have an illness or disability - I have no issue with that at all. What I don't like, as Brad stated, is those folks who refuse to give someone else a place to rest or eat for a few minutes. We all pay the same price for admission and we're all playing in the same sandbox ... surely a little kindness isn't too much to expect?

Exactly. Our table had an extra chair after the other group of 3 sat first and then my husband and I joined them. We gave that chair to another table early on in the evening as it wasn't being used- there were no single people coming to the table to join us. Only the one person approached the table at all to ask to sit for a minute (which was fine and she could have stayed longer but darn she hopped up fast...). No one else asked to join us all evening! A few people early in the evening asked if we were using all the chairs because they wanted to take them to their own tables, but that was really it. Maybe it was because we were way in the back of the room on the left side as you entered, kind of out of the way? But we really didn't turn anyone away from joining us. I agree, that would have been rude.

We go to PFTS this Saturday and we will be treating it as it is intended- as a "cocktail party" where you don't hunker down at tables like it is a buffet. I wish more people would do the same. We will do exactly what we did last year and sit for a few minutes or lean for a few minutes here and there when we need to cut a piece of meat or something. I will sit at your table if chairs are empty whether you give me dirty looks or not. But I promise to be gone within a few minutes. And, I agree about the dress- there should be a dress code. Sorry but a t-shirt and shorts should not be appropriate attire for what is supposed to be an upscale event. That doesn't mean you have to wear a cocktail dress with heels but some sort of business casual code would make it a more classy event. I'd be very comfy in my pjs but that doesn't mean they are appropriate at a fancy cocktail party. ;) I'll post my review soon after we go.

So the fact that I was dripping in diamonds didn't make up for my lack of a cocktail dress and heels? :rotfl:

Disney never advertised this event as a "fancy cocktail party", even if that's what you expected. Sorry, but the event had a wide variety of people and a wide variety of clothing. Lots of people in casual clothes as well as those who looked like they missed their turn on their way to Victoria and Alberts. I agree with the earlier poster who said there is no wrong or right answer. Until Disney dictates a dress code, clothing that is acceptable in their restaurants is also acceptable at this event. Business casual for Disney includes jeans, t-shirts, etc at the nicer restaurants, by the way. I'm sure you don't like that, either. Perhaps you should lobby Disney to change their dress code to match your standards?

We had a great time at the PTFS, but the table squatters were really something. As the evening wore on, we found more and more happy folks who wanted to enjoy a bite or two at a tall table, just like us. It was great to find that lots of folks understand the difference between a cocktail party and buffet. Goodness, the very longest we stayed at any table was probably 4 minutes, tops.
Early in the evening, though, We were nastily turned away from several tables with one or two "chief" squatters who was saving places at a tall tables...just bizarre.

My (wink) suggestion: Disney should provide tons of fancy, lush tables with china out by the water..... People should be allowed to save away there. They have wristbands, they can walk back and forth all night, as they prefer. ;)

....And obviously, those that are elderly or disabled should be always be provided extra accommodation nearby.

We turned several people away from my mother's chair. She is not immobile but if she were to return to the table it would mean she'd need to sit down. I would have neither the time nor the inclination to explain that to everyone who asked. My group may be one of the ones getting criticized here.

I am going back on 11/8 and because I don't have my mother or my friend with foot problems with me this time I will not be using chairs or tables.

Yes, by the end of the evening on the 18th, the chocolate candy selection was gone. I can see now why that is from reading here about people taking them along back to their rooms. I did get to try one kind as that is all that was left by the time I was ready for chocolate.

So maybe you should have spoken to the ladies at the chocolate table who were giving us all plastic glasses full of them whenever we walked past the table. Of course we took them with us.

After 2007 my rule for PFTS is get the chocolates first. They will be gone by the end of the evening.

Wow, all the angst over the running of the bulls and getting knocked over in the process, the chairs and tables, reserving them and not reserving them, and using them for a minute or two to cut a piece of meat vs. plopping down for all night, the need to be polite and pray that others are polite in return, the elderly and handicapped who need extra consideration, getting the chocolates before their gone, getting the wines we want before they're gone, no decent guide to where things are, not to mention the shorts and T-shirt crowd that surely detracts from the overall ambience.

Well, for $270 plus tax, DH and I decided long ago, we'd much rather sit in a quiet corner of a good restaurant with a great bottle of wine than tackle all the sturm und drang that seem to go along with a PFTS these days.

We'd love to taste the food, we'd probably like some of the wines, but the crowds, the crowds!

I do think Disney can do one thing to control rudeness and insensitivity on the part of attendees, and it's a pretty obvious something -- sell far fewer tickets. People are always ruder and more on the defensive when they feel pressured and crowded. But, oops, that might mean the event wouldn't generate enough cash to pay for its cost 10 times over!

Wow, all the angst over the running of the bulls and getting knocked over in the process, the chairs and tables, reserving them and not reserving them, and using them for a minute or two to cut a piece of meat vs. plopping down for all night, the need to be polite and pray that others are polite in return, the elderly and handicapped who need extra consideration, getting the chocolates before their gone, getting the wines we want before they're gone, no decent guide to where things are, not to mention the shorts and T-shirt crowd that surely detracts from the overall ambience.

Well, for $270 plus tax, DH and I decided long ago, we'd much rather sit in a quiet corner of a good restaurant with a great bottle of wine than tackle all the sturm und drang that seem to go along with a PFTS these days.

We'd love to taste the food, we'd probably like some of the wines, but the crowds, the crowds!

I do think Disney can do one thing to control rudeness and insensitivity on the part of attendees, and it's a pretty obvious something -- sell far fewer tickets. People are always ruder and more on the defensive when they feel pressured and crowded. But, oops, that might mean the event wouldn't generate enough cash to pay for its cost 10 times over!

I think that says it all! :thumbsup2

We are skipping the PFTS this year. I'm hoping the City Taste we chose doesn't end up as over crowded as the Party's have been! Oybolshoi had a great time, so we're hoping that we'll be as lucky!

We head out tomorrow morning! :banana:

So maybe you should have spoken to the ladies at the chocolate table who were giving us all plastic glasses full of them whenever we walked past the table. Of course we took them with us.

After 2007 my rule for PFTS is get the chocolates first. They will be gone by the end of the evening.

Nah, I have no problem with the chocolates being gone by the time we got there. I'd rather have them eaten than wasted at the end of the night. And I certainly didn't NEED any chocolate with all the calories I'd already consumed, anyway. :rotfl:

I was just answering the question about if any food or wine had run out by the end of the evening. :) But for people going to PFTS on future dates, your point is a good one. If you want chocolate, get there early!

We have done this both ways. We usually keep a table for the first part of evening. Since there are only two of us, we have always had a lot of table mates throughout the years, lol. Met some great people, had great conversations.

This year, the 18th, was the first time we couldn't sit down, not even once.
We were exhausted, hubby said he much prefers sitting at a table (having a home base) with other people. Standing all evening made it very hard to eat some of the food. Luckily we had the mobile grape..it was a lifesaver.

I was wearing my wine lanyard with the "got wine?" printed on it, and I got a lot of positive comments on mine.

I went to the 10/18 party with TDC Nala. And throughout the night, I did a lot of wandering. If someone wanted to use the chair I vacated for half the night, I wouldn't have had any problems with that. Only two people at our table had mobility issues, and I'm sure the rest of us would have been flexible if someone wanted to rest a bit.

That being said, while I was wandering, the only time I stopped at the high top tables was to pose my food for a picture. I would quickly explain that I wanted to set my food down for a moment for a photo, and nobody caused a stink about it. Maybe because my intentions were a quick, "I'm in, I'm out, nobody gets hurt" mentality? I made it clear that I was not trying to horn in on anyone's territory. ;)

And I am surprised to hear about the chocolates. I know that I grabbed some right before we left, close to the time Illuminations was starting, but I know I saw a lot of chocolates left before I did. And yes, the ladies working the truffle station were Truffle Pushers. They kept giving them to me, and I didn't say no to them. :)

As for my dress, I knew I'd be on my feet a lot, so I dressed in "smart casual" clothing. I had a nice navy blue top and tan capris, along with comfortable Land's End shoes. It's the same thing I'd wear out to the signature restaurants. I saved my dress for the Jiko dinner and Victoria and Albert's, where I knew I would be sitting the entire time.

I was wearing my wine lanyard with the "got wine?" printed on it, and I got a lot of positive comments on mine.

I went to the 10/18 party with TDC Nala. And throughout the night, I did a lot of wandering. If someone wanted to use the chair I vacated for half the night, I wouldn't have had any problems with that. Only two people at our table had mobility issues, and I'm sure the rest of us would have been flexible if someone wanted to rest a bit.

That being said, while I was wandering, the only time I stopped at the high top tables was to pose my food for a picture. I would quickly explain that I wanted to set my food down for a moment for a photo, and nobody caused a stink about it. Maybe because my intentions were a quick, "I'm in, I'm out, nobody gets hurt" mentality? I made it clear that I was not trying to horn in on anyone's territory. ;)

And I am surprised to hear about the chocolates. I know that I grabbed some right before we left, close to the time Illuminations was starting, but I know I saw a lot of chocolates left before I did. And yes, the ladies working the truffle station were Truffle Pushers. They kept giving them to me, and I didn't say no to them. :)

As for my dress, I knew I'd be on my feet a lot, so I dressed in "smart casual" clothing. I had a nice navy blue top and tan capris, along with comfortable Land's End shoes. It's the same thing I'd wear out to the signature restaurants. I saved my dress for the Jiko dinner and Victoria and Albert's, where I knew I would be sitting the entire time.

I should clarify that the chocolates weren't 100% gone, my DH came back with a very good dark chocolate truffle and one other kind that smelled like coffee to me so he ate that one. There had been different flavors early in the evening and he said those were the only two kinds left at the end when he went to get them so they were out of SOME of them, not all.

Also, I'd say what you wore sounds fine to me. I also wear exactly the same thing as I had on to the signature restaurants, including Jiko's (our favorite.) I'm always well within the Disney guidelines:

"Restaurant Dress Code

Disney World Dining
For the Signature Dining Restaurants, a "Business Casual" dress code is in effect:

Men - Dress pants, jeans or dress shorts and a T-shirt or long sleeve shirt with collar is required. (Jackets optional.)

Women - Jeans, skirts or dress shorts and blouse, sweater or dress is required.

NOT PERMITTED: Tank tops, swim suits or swim cover ups, hats for gentlemen, cut offs or clothing with rips/tears are not allowed. T-shirts with offensive language/graphics will also not be permitted."

So there was chocolate left! Those ladies had a ton of chocolates and they had about 10 different flavors they were pushing. Whenever you went past they would push the chocolate on you... they were even walking around handing out the chocolates. I hope they're back on the 8th because the chocolates were good. I may concentrate on cheese next time. My friend came back from the cheese table with about half a wheel of Humboldt Fog.

Here are the chefs and wineries at the City Taste on Aug 17.

(My wife typed out her notes. So I just copied and pasted them. So any typos I can blame on her;)

City Tastes
Victoria, Australia

FOOD

1. Ian Curley, The European Restaurant Melbourne, Australia
a. Slow Braised Beef Cheek with Roasted Mushrooms, Lardons of Bacon and Seasonal Vegetables
b. White Cabbage Slaw with Prawns, Smoked Eel and Pickled Bug Meat with Chervil and Mint
c. Roasted Kingfish with Poached Mussels and Oyster Escabeche

2. Guy Grossi, Grossi Florentino Melbourne, Australia
a. Scampi in Scapece
b. Caponata
c. Insalata Di Patate
d. marinated olives

3. Mark Olive, The Outback Café Melbourne, Australia
a. Tanami Fire Emu Skewers with Pepperleaf Mustard
b. Veggie Stack with Native Herbs
c. Tandoori Croc Salad

4. Cameron McKenzie, The European Restaurant Melbourne, Australia
a. Mountain Pepper Seared Beef with Horseradish Cream
b. Grilled Artichoke & Kipfler Potato with Chervil & Harissa Mayo, Gremolata and Buffalo Mozzarella
c. Young Salad Leaves with Roasted Baby Beets, Figs, Feta, & Hazelnuts

5. Tami McAdam, Edible Artistry Cremorne, Australia
a. Native Dukkah-Crusted Lamb with Rosella Glaze
b. Tabouleh Salad with Bush Mint Dressing

DESSERT
Tami McAdam, Edible Artistry Cremorne, Australia
Featuring: Mango & Passion Fruit Pavlova

OLIVE OIL TASTING
The Victorian Table, Sally James Wineroads Limited
Featuring: A Selection of Authentic Flavors From Victoria, Australia
Yellingbo Gold Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Cobram Estate Olive Oils (four flavors)
Mountain Bread ®
Murray River Salts

WINERIES
Prancing Horse Estate/Carlei Estates, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria presented by Chris Lukez
Featuring: Prancing Horse Estate Chardonnay
Prancing Horse Estate Pinot Noir
Carlei Green Vineyards Shiraz

Yabby Lake Vineyard & Cooralook Wines, Mornington Peninsula, Victoria presented by Damon Ornowski
Featuring: Yabby Lake Chardonnay
Yabby Lake Pinot Noir
Cooralook Shiraz

Green Point Winery, Yarra Valley, Victoria presented by Julie Andersson
Featuring: Green Point Chardonnay
Green Point Pinot Noir Rose
Green Point Reserve Shiraz

Mount Langi Ghiran, Ararat, Victoria presented by Mike Leo
Featuring: Mount Langi Ghiran Riesling
Billi Billi Shiraz
Cliff Edge Shiraz

Yering Station Vineyards, Yarra Valley, Victoria presented by Gordon Gebbie
Featuring: Yering Station Chardonnay
Yearing Station Pinot Noir
Yearing Station Shiraz Viognier

Yellowglen, Victoria presented by Lisa Brown
Featuring: Yellowgleen Pink
Yellowglen Yellow

T’Gallant, Yarra Valley, Victoria presented by Matt Lane
Featuring: Juliet Pinot Grigio
Juliet Pinot Noir
Juliet Moscato

Rutherglen Estates, Rutherglen, Victoria presented by Patrick Gehrig
Featuring: Rutherglen Estates “The Alliance” Marsanne Viognier
Rutherglen Estates “Renaissance” Petit Syrah
Rutherglen Estates Muscat

Coldstream Hills, Yarra Valley, Victoria presented by Jim Hicks
Featuring: Coldstream Hills Sauvignon Blanc
Coldstream Hills Chardonnay
Coldstream Hills Pinot Noir

Foster’s Beer featuring Foster’s Lager

If you noticed, it looks like there were two chefs from the same restaurant. I didn't realize that at the time or I would have asked them if that were true.

Tami prepared food for one station plus the dessert.

Also, some of the chefs were at the PFTS on Saturday. They served different food.

And finally, the bug meat (1b) tasted OK. I am not sure what bug meat supposed to taste like:) (It didn't taste like chicken;) .

Ed

That looks excellent! Hey, even the insect. Was the meat pickled or were the bugs pickled?

I had a shot at one City Taste but will be going to the Bluezoo signature instead.

At Sam Adams beer tasting rt now not crowded at all. Free wine seminars yest were great & uncrowded -walk right in. Tonite is pfts-can't wait

SATURDAY OCTOBER 25th

PARTY FOR THE SENSES​

At 4:40pm we checked in at the podium at Showcase Lagoon. We were given wristbands, told the expected attendance tonight was about 950 and that the gates to World Showplace would open at 6pm. I headed to the gate at 4:50 and found about half a dozen guests there already.

ry%3D400

By 5:30, there were easily 200 people waiting at the gates. By 6, there were likely 350 to 400. We were there early enough to be RIGHT at the front (I have a picture to prove it!)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We then made the mad dash to grab your wine glass & plate and rush into the 2nd holding area. We ended up about 3 people deep from the front. Let me tell you, when they call this the "Running of the Bulls" they aren't kidding! At 6:30 there was sheer insanity as easily 750 people surged forward, people took off like their life depended on getting a table and now I truly appreciate what many meant by the rudeness of guests at the beginning of the evening! There was pushing, shoving, and all out war to grab any table anywhere. By the time I got 2/3rd of the way through the hall I sprinted with everything I had and pounced onto a table (when in rome do as the romans do!). It was nuts. I have no issues with people saving tables, but there really has to be a better system than that! We were at the very back, but actually loved the location, it was right beside a stage for entertainment.

I must add that there were no dirty stares exchanged. Everyone in our section was holding a table, but we shared ours with a lovely couple for the entire evening and it was fantastic! With 950 guests there was no lack of tables, it was just a bit intense to obtain one initially.

STATIONS

RED
ry%3D400

YELLOW
ry%3D400

PINK
ry%3D400

PURPLE
ry%3D400

GREEN
ry%3D400

BLUE
ry%3D400

Here's what everyone has been waiting for....THE FOOD!!!

I did not try everything as there were some things I couldn't try (allergic to blue cheese) and some I didn't want to try (rabbit :( )

For now I will post the items I tried with their descriptions. The descriptions will be in coloured font to match where each item was located in the room.

Savoury Items

Stephen Gower, `Ohana - Disney's Polynesian Resort
Hawaiian Beef Cho Cho with Edamame and Sweet Potato Pot Sticker, Pineapple Chutney

ry%3D400

Michael Kramer, Voice Restaurant at Hotel Icon, Huston TX
Atlantic Rock Crab, Avacado Mousse, Yuzu Cream, Lemon Balm

ry%3D400

Kevin Downing, Disney's Vero Beach Resort
Seared Salmon Brulee, Savoury Tomato Cornbread Pudding, Green Tomato and Apple Chutney

ry%3D400

Eric Brennar, Magic Kingdom Food & Beverage
Beef Tenderloin with Asian Mushroom Risotto

ry%3D400

Tom Hill, Victoria & Albert's, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
Pondicherry and Vanilla Crusted Long Island Duck with Fuji Apple, Fig & Red Cabbage Jam, Apple Cider Air

ry%3D400

Terry Metson, Fume Bistro & Bar, Napa, CA
Boneless Lamb Tenderloin with Herbes de Provence on a Crisp Four-Cheese Polenta Crouton, Goat Cheese Ratatouille Ragout, Fresh Thyme

ry%3D400

Kent Rathbun, Abacus & Jasper's, Dallas TX
Grilled Veal Tenderloin, Peach Barbeque Sauce, Chipotle Corn Mash

ry%3D400

David Bridges, Bella Fresca, Shreveport, LA
Blackened Tuna Remoulade with Fried Green Tomatoes (apologies for the awful pic!)

ry%3D400

Amber Kent, Rose & Crown Dining Room, United Kingdom Epcot
Beef Tenderloin, Asparagus and Applewood smoked bacon Tart, Brown Butter Bearnaise

ry%3D400

Jeff Page, Hollywood & Vine, Disney's Hollywood Studios
Herb Crusted Lamb Loin, Creamy Sundried Tomato & Goat Cheese Polenta

ry%3D400

Desserts & Cheese coming up!

Desserts & Cheese

Keith Hiner, Boardwalk Bakery, Disney's Boardwalk Resort
Cheese Course Pastry Style
- Poached Pear with Cheese-infused Marshmallow
- Lemon Mascarpone Cheese Ice Cream

ry%3D400

Ciril Hitz, Johnson & Wales University, Providence, RI
Pumpkin Brioche Tart & Orange Hazelnut Bostock

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Keegan Gerhard, The Food Network Challenge, Food Network
d=mc3
delicious = milk chocolate 3 ways

ry%3D400

Julian Rose, Moonstruck Chocolate, Portland OR
Tanzania Pure Origin Chocolate Tart with Red Currant Jelly and Cointreau Raspberries

ry%3D400

Jessi Sudsa-Nguan, Bakery, Disney's Contemporary Resort
Cherry Cheesecake served on Pistachio Petit Four and Pomegranate Reduction

ry%3D400

International Cheese Selection, Irish Dairy Board
ry%3D400

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter