2008 Epcot Food and Wine Festival Reviews

Cheryl,

Your review is spot on. There is not much different for me to add, however I will try to in my separate review thread later tonight.

For those interested, the winning team was.....[dramatic pause]

Chef Timothy Hollingsworth, Sous Chef, French Laundry with his Commis Albert Klause

Going in to the competition, Chef Hollingsworth was one of the two that I considered the odds-on favorites to win. The other, Chef Michael Rotondo, Chef de Cuisine of Restaurant Charlie (as in Charlie Trotter) in Las Vegas, was awarded the rising star (or some such name) award as the chef most likely to win a future competition. He finished in third place overall. His Commis, Jennifer Petrusky, won the award as top Commis. I bumped into her at the end of the night and congratulated her on the award. She was practically beaming.

Second place overall went to Chef Richard Rosendale of Rosendales in Columbus, OH.

Brad

Subscribing.

We'll be there this Friday and will be attending 1st PFTS on Saturday. we'll let everyone know how it goes.

popcorn:: More! More! popcorn::

I just can't wait until we get to go - until then, all I have is info from other people!

Cheryl,

Your review is spot on. There is not much different for me to add, however I will try to in my separate review thread later tonight.

Brad

Thanks Brad, I would love to read your review and see your pics!

OMG, I'm so jealous. The dishes sound absolutely amazing and I'm drooling all over my keyboard at the pictures. If you managed to get any of the recipes for any of them (or if they are in the cookbooks) it would be awesome if you could share them with us on the recipe exchange. :worship: :worship: :worship:

share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZtGTFw5ZuGLlY
(pics, same from competition post)

Ok, second day of competition over, we headed to France for Grand Marnier slushies and then back to the room to cool down and get ready for the Gala.

As you can see by the pictures hubby wore his black suit with dressy tee underneath. I had the typical black dress. We had to walk from Swan to World Showplace, lol, it was warm and we were already melting by the time we got there. Doors opened a little late, but everyone was buzzing with excitement. Castmembers come out and said last name A-K one side, L-W the other. Table assignments for the dinner were alphabetically arranged. No problem.

The doors opened and in we went. What a transformation, everything all elegant and beautiful. The silent auction tables with all the items were on the left. Great assortment of items (forgot to take pics, sorry), all different prices. They had a trip to Aspen food/wine classic, bottles of Dom Perigon Rose, Johnny Walker Blue engraved for the Bocuse competition, Chef Paul Bocuse jacket full of autographs, trip to Lyon France for the final competition and so many, many other items. Walk a little further and you found tables some with chairs and some of the higher ones where you stand, filling the center of the room. On the one side were kitchens with chefs prepairing the appetizers. There were servers passing appetizers or you could walk right up to the mini kitchens and talk with chefs, take pics and pic up your appetizers your self. All the disney castmembers were black tie for the evening and they looked spectacular. Hubby and I grabbed a table and enjoyed some appetizers, met another couple when they asked to join our table. Found out it was a small world, as the hubby visits the small town in Wisconsin we grew up in quite often on business.

The items served at the cocktail reception were:
Fall Squash
Kabocha Squash Wrapped with Smoked Salmon
Chef David Myers ---Sona, Los Angeles, CA

Butternet Squash Panna Cotta, Celery and Truffle Salad
Chef Traci des Jardin ---Jardiniere, San Francisco, CA

Wild Mushrooms courtesy of D'Artagnan
Wild Mushroom Cappuccino
Chef Georges Perrier ---Le Bec Fin, Phladelphia, PA
(this was outstanding, and I mean outstanding)

Jalousie d'Epinards et Champignons Sauvages
Chef Andre Soltner ---French Culinary Institute, New York, NY

Foie Gras
courtesy of Rougie
Foie Gra Terrine with Raisin and Apple Mostarda
Chef Laurent Tourondel ---BLT Restaurants, New York, NY

Foie Gras Feuillete, Caramelized Endive and Mango
Chef Alain Sailhac ---French Culinary Institute, New York, NY

Duck
courtesy of D'Artagnan
Grilled Duck and Armagnac Sausage, Black Lentil Dal and Red Curry Sauce in Phyllo
Chef Roland Muller---Food and Beverage Product Development Walt Disney World Parks & Resorts

Roasted Muscovy Duck with Fennel and Blood Oranges, Smoked Bacon and Minus 8 Vinaigrette
Chef Scott Hunnel, Victoria & Albert's Restaurant at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa

Veuve Clicquot Champagne, NV Brut
Diageo Reserve Specialty Cocktails

We loved all the apps we tried, lol, of course. Everthing was so well done, didn't try any of the cocktails this time around, lol.

Time for dinner. Chef Paul Bocuse welcomed everyone and invited us to join him in the dining room. He greeted everyone as they went through the door to their tables. Very nice touch. He is a class act for sure.

Dinner...

We were table 25 - sage. The tables were clearly marked and easy to locate where you were suppose to be. We grabbed a couple of chairs on the end. A very nice couple from Iowa sat across from us. They had recently opened their own cafe, just a couple weeks ago and couldn't believe they had taken time off already to attend this event, lol.

The table was beautifully decorated. White tablecoths/napkins, gold charges, white dishes. Water glass, three wine glasses and a gold rimmed champagne glass. Silverware straight out of pretty woman, yes that many pieces, lol. Thank goodness I watched the movie so I knew what to use, lol. :rotfl2: A chef hat standing tall on each plate. Lilies and roses in the center of the table. Chairs had gold chair covers with large navy bows on the back. The servers were quick to come over and offer Panna still or Pellegrino sparkling water. They then offered lemon/lime for the glass as well. For men with dark suits the servers quickly offered them the option for a black napkin instead of the white. All the men at our table changed napkins, nice touch.

They said there was one server for each four guests that evening. The servers did a spectacular job all night long. Next out comes the first wine, Edna Valley Vineyard, Paragon, Sauvignon Blanc, San Luis Obispo, 2006.

This went with the first course. Chef Patrick O'Connell --Inn at Little Washington, Washington, VA had prepared (well had some help preparing, lol) the "Tin of Sin"---Peekytoe Crab Salad with Petrossian Caviar. A voice said, if you lift your chef's hat from your plate you will see your first course. The whole room just went aaahhhhh, at the same time. This dish was unbelievable. OMG, makes me want to drive to VA today, and I dreampt about the tin of sin all night last night. It was so delicious. The cavier was not salty, the crab in it's creamy sauce. You had the little pearls spoons to scoop with and the servers brought you little toasted pieces of brioche to enjoy it on. They delivered the slices of brioche one piece at a time, they really kept on top of things, lol. So far so good, time for the next course.

The servers poured the next wine, Acacia Vineyard Chardonnay, Carneros 2006. This has always been favorite of ours, a very nice chardonnay.
This course was prepared, I guess I should say created by Chef Charlie Trotter ---Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, IL. Steamed Pierless Cod with Hojiimenji Mushrooms and a Ginger-Soy-Hijiki Sauce. As you can see this came in a bowl, beautifully done and again, yummy, yummy, yummy. The fish perfectly cooked, a beautiful white fish and the mushrooms were perfectly done as well, still had texture to perfectly compliment the fish. I think hubby licked his bowl clean, lol, or at least sopped up all the broth with one of the lovely breads they had served to us.

There was a white/french bread sliced medium thickness and a whole grain type bread (my favorite) with sunflower seeds on the top. They set each person a plate of a couple slices of butter with what looked like sea salt on top the butter. Totally fantastic, lol.

Ok, next wine is being poured. This time we have Beaulieu Vineyard Reserve, Tapestry, Napa Valley, 2004. This again is a favorite of ours, lol. For this course we have Duo of Brandt Beef: Red Wine Braised Short Ribs and Seared Rib Eye, Glazed Beet, Root Vegetable Gratin, Horseradish.
Course created by Daniel Bouloud ---Daniel, New York, NY. The rib eye was wonderful, the Glazed beet outstanding, the root veggie gratin, loved it..but the braised short rib...omg, I think everyone in the room had an out of body experience when they tasted it, lol. This was outstanding, I only hope the recipe for it is in the cookbook he signed for me (oddly enough named Braised). Daniel is also fantastic, was very gracious in signing and posing for photos all weekend long during the competition.

Next out, the gold rimmed champagne glasses are filled with Dom Perignon Champagne, Brut, Expernay 2000. Must be close to the big announcement.
Dana from Food and Wine magazine is on stage. Now, I didn't write down all the different winners..they gave these chefs competing all sorts of great prizes and rewards for winning the different things at the event.

Artisanal Cheese course is brought out: Comte Fort Russe, Gorgonzola Piccante, Grayson, Manachester, presented by Max McCalman, courtesy of Artisanl Premium Cheese, New York, NY. The cheese place was beautiful, and all of it wonderful, especially the Gorgonzola, lol. The dom poured non stop if you wanted it too, they refilled your glass without even blinking an eye.

The pics have all the winners on stage with their medals and trophies. Remme from Ratatouille was out a couple of times. He lead all the disney chefs out who were handpicked to help with all the cooking for the weekend. Chef Mickey was on stage as well for a couple minutes.

After all the announcements, thanking all the sponsors, etc, everyone was invited to return to the other room for the dessert reception and dancing.
The band started immediately with Hot Hot Hot song..whatever the name of it is, lol. The band was great. Dessert stations were set up on both sides of the rooms, tables again in the center. Hubby and I went from station to station trying/sharing everything:
We had Passion Fruit and Chocolate Baked Alaska
Chef Andreas Born, Disney's Hollywood Studios

Grand Marnier-flamed Crepes Suzette with Vanilla Cream Poached Strawberry Dumplings and Wild Forest Strawberry Sauce
Chef Erich Herbitschek, Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
(this was one of my favorites, lol)

Tropical Fruit Tartar and Champange Sabayon
Chef Lothar Neumaier, EPCOT

Salted Caramel Coffee, Passion Fruit Duchesse
Chef Ewald Notter, Notter School of Pastry Arts

Assorted Petits Fours and Fruits with Champagne Foam
Chef Stefan Riemer, Disney's Yacht & Beach Club resorts

"Poire Helene"--Poached Bosc Pear, Valrhona Chocolate ganache, Almond Financier and Amaretti Gelato
Chef Kelly Smith, Disney's Boardwalk Resort

Chocolate Caramel Cheesecake Martini and Apricot Napoleon
Chef Chris Vitanza, Disney's Contemporary Resort

Celebration Cake
Chef Mike McCarey, Mike's Amazing Cakes, Redmond, WA

Moet White Star Champagne
Diageo Reserve after dinner drinks
Krups Coffee Selection

Needless to say, the entire evening was amazing, outstanding, fantastic.
Chef Besh saw us as we were leaving and stopped to chat for a moment.
We picked up our parting gifts and headed out the door. CM who had been there all day, outside working still at midnight. She took a pic of Bob and I with chef hats on and we walked back to resort.

We met many more chefs, got photos and autographs than I have listed in these two reviews, I am sure, as my chefs hat is full of autographs from the second day of competition also. This event was the best we have ever attended on disney property! We would do it again in a heartbeat.

Good luck in France, TEAM USA. I know everyone who attended the event is so proud of all of you who competed!

There wasn't a PFTS last night - that Bocuse d'Or gala dinner was being held in its place this year.

The first PFTS will be next Saturday ... the 4th, I think.

I realized that & changed the post. But you are too quick for me!:goodvibes

According to the festival guide: "On stages, extraordinary artists from Metropolis perform feats of balance, strength, agility & mayhem throughout the evening while other remarkable characters interact with the guests to their surprise & delight. Between acts, unique music by Mechanical Soul will provide a stylish world-beat accompaniment to the party."

Thanks, I didn't notice that in the guide! That sounds good! :thumbsup2

webray, Thanks for the review! It sounds amazing!

For this course we have Duo of Brandt Beef: Red Wine Braised Short Ribs and Seared Rib Eye, Glazed Beet, Root Vegetable Gratin, Horseradish.
Course created by Daniel Bouloud ---Daniel, New York, NY. The rib eye was wonderful, the Glazed beet outstanding, the root veggie gratin, loved it..but the braised short rib...omg, I think everyone in the room had an out of body experience when they tasted it, lol. This was outstanding, I only hope the recipe for it is in the cookbook he signed for me (oddly enough named Braised). Daniel is also fantastic, was very gracious in signing and posing for photos all weekend long during the competition.

The Red Wine Braised Short Ribs is one of the signature dishes at Chef Boulud's signature dishes. This might be the one in the cookbook you got?

Short Ribs Braised in Red Wine
Chef Daniel Boulud
Makes 8 servings

The Short Ribs:
3 bottles dry red wine
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 short ribs, trimmed of excess fat
Salt
1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
Flour for dredging
10 cloves garlic, peeled
8 large shallots, peeled, trimmed, split, rinsed, and dried
2 medium carrots, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch lengths
2 stalks celery, peeled, trimmed, and cut into 1-inch lengths
1 medium leek, white and light green parts only, coarsely chopped, washed, and dried
6 sprigs Italian parsley
2 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3 quarts unsalted Beef Stock or store-bought low-sodium beef broth
Freshly ground white pepper

1. Pour the wine into a large saucepan set over medium heat. When the wine is hot, carefully set it aflame, let the flames die out, then increase the heat so that the wine boils; allow it to boil until it cooks down by half. Remove from the heat. 2. Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

3. Warm the oil in a Dutch oven or large casserole over medium-high heat. Season the ribs all over with salt and crushed pepper. Dust half the ribs with about 1 tablespoon flour and then, when the oil is hot, slip the ribs into the pot and sear 4 to 5 minutes on a side, until the ribs are well browned. Transfer the browned ribs to a plate, dust the remaining ribs with flour, and sear in the same manner. Remove all but 1 tablespoon of fat from the pot, lower the heat under the pot to medium, and toss in the vegetables and herbs. Brown the vegetables lightly, for 5 to 7 minutes, then stir in the tomato paste and cook for 1 minute to blend.

4. Add the reduced wine, browned ribs and stock to the pot. Bring to the boil, cover the pot closely, and slide it into the oven to braise 2 1/2 hours, or until the ribs are tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork. Every 30 minutes or so, lift the lid and skim and discard whatever fat may have bubbled up to the surface. (Not only can you make this a day in advance, it¹s best to make the recipe up to this point, cool and chill the ribs and stock in the pan, and, on the next day, scrape off the fat. Rewarm before continuing.)

5. Carefully (the tender meat falls apart easily) transfer the meat to a heated serving platter with raised rims and keep warm. Boil the pan liquids until they thicken and reduce to approximately 1 quart. Season with salt and pepper and pass through a fine-mesh strainer; discard the solids. (The ribs and sauce can be made a few days ahead and kept covered in the refrigerator. Reheat gently, basting frequently, on top of the stove or in a 350 degrees F oven.)

The dom poured non stop if you wanted it too, they refilled your glass without even blinking an eye.
And I thought that could only happen in my dreams...a never ending river of Dom!!! :worship: You are so fortunate!

I love the reviews, Cheryl; thanks so much for posting! :goodvibes

But ... I can't get the link to your pictures to work. What's wrong? Anyone???

Brenda- just copy and paste the link with no www. first and it should work. I just tried it.
The pictures are great and I wish I could have been there. Thanks so much for posting them and the review- Sue

OK - got the pictures to work. Thanks for the advice!

WOW!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

Cheryl, thanks so much for sharing that with all of us. So glad you had such a great time! :goodvibes

Question to those that have been to the 08 FW....in England, does Twinning have the Ice Tea stand and is there a daquiri stand in the entrance to the countries?

Both were there in 07 so I hope they bring it back in 08

And I thought that could only happen in my dreams...a never ending river of Dom!!! :worship: You are so fortunate!

LOL, the never ending Dom was great, unfortuantely, we really don't care for Dom, our favorites are the Moet Champagnes they poured all day, non stop.
:cool1: :thumbsup2 :cool1:

OK I see that you got the link to work. I had another option for you..glad you could see the pics.

Brenda..do you have an email...I can send you the link directly.
Email me at webray@aol.com

Thanks for the offer, Cheryl ... I was able to get it to work with a little help from my fellow DIS-foodies. If that food tasted even half as good as it looked you must have been in heaven! :cloud9:

I am glad you all are enjoying the pics, new camera, new software for me...
Amazing weekend. Will be back up in a couple for more, lol.

Thanks for the offer, Cheryl ... I was able to get it to work with a little help from my fellow DIS-foodies. If that food tasted even half as good as it looked you must have been in heaven! :cloud9:

LOL, heaven it was. We had so much fun. Can't wait to meet you both in a few weeks!

Wow, I'm totally blown away by how beautiful the Bocuse entries were! Everything looked so gorgeous! Thanks for sharing those pics, Cheryl!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter