2 year old Trach

Kayla12

Earning My Ears
Hi, I'm so glad I found this board! In September I am headed to Disney with my large family. 9 to be exact! This is our very first Disney Vacation and our first family vacation since her 11 month NICU stay. We have 6 kids and a nurse coming because my 2 year old is a trach, vent dependent at night and prn O2 dependant and feedinf tube dependent. Not crawling or walking and non verbal. I anticipate she will ride on a few rides but her siblings will be more of the riders. I saw a Disability Access Card, and wondering if that is something worth looking into. I read that strollers are not allowed in lines, but we have to keep her in a stroller because of her equipment, go bag, diaper bag, suction and O2. Due to her Chronic Lung Disease we try to keep her as cool as possible, so I will be purchasing fans to clip on her stroller. I am looking for any and all advice to make my current anxiety better about bringing her to Disney....Help!

Definitely get a "Stroller as Wheelchair" tag - ten you can bring the stroller through lines with lines with you.

A few things about the DAS;

1) It can only be used on rides that your DD will be on. Since you say that she will only ride a few rides, it can only be used on those rides.
2) You have to explain why waiting in the normal line is a problem for her. The not walking and need for equipment is resolved by using the stroller, so it would have to be needs that aren't addressed by that.

Lot's of good information in the first few posts here - https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/

When we took my older daughter who has a trach (not vented, oxygen prn) They gave us a dad before I even finished explaining about why suctioning in line is a bad idea. Another time with my younger daughter we tried to do it without the das, but as soon as the CMs saw her feeding pump, they waved us into the fast pass lane, every time. When I questioned it they said because she is on "life support" she doesn't have to wait in the regular line. I tried explaining it was just feeds, not life support,but they still kept sending us to fast pass line. Get a stroller as wheelchair tag, and I doubt they will deny you the das. As others have posted, you can only use the das for the rides your daughter will get on

Hi, I'm so glad I found this board! In September I am headed to Disney with my large family. 9 to be exact! This is our very first Disney Vacation and our first family vacation since her 11 month NICU stay. We have 6 kids and a nurse coming because my 2 year old is a trach, vent dependent at night and prn O2 dependant and feedinf tube dependent. Not crawling or walking and non verbal. I anticipate she will ride on a few rides but her siblings will be more of the riders. I saw a Disability Access Card, and wondering if that is something worth looking into. I read that strollers are not allowed in lines, but we have to keep her in a stroller because of her equipment, go bag, diaper bag, suction and O2. Due to her Chronic Lung Disease we try to keep her as cool as possible, so I will be purchasing fans to clip on her stroller. I am looking for any and all advice to make my current anxiety better about bringing her to Disney....Help!

first off I hope you have a great time at Disney and this will be just the first of many trips for you and your family

Disney does a great job of helping people with all kinds of disabilities. You are right they normally do not let strollers in line but they do on a case by case basics. You will need to stop at GR and explain why she need her stroller in line ( pretty much what you said here) They will give you a tag to put on her stroller and when you do in line just show the CM this tag and they will let you bring your stroller in line with you.

The DAS is for people that can not be in line for a number of region you can also talk to GR about your DD needs as it has to do with waiting in lines ( not all Disabilities need a DAS card). Think about waiting in line at your local fair amusement park, again some people do not have a hard time with this part.

if she will not be riding means rides you can use child swap where one adults goes with the kids while the other one waits with the child not going ( the first group goes in what ever line they have FP or stand by) and then when they come out they give the pass to the person waiting with the child the adults change place and the adult rides with 2 people ( it can be two people that just went) so this way the adult dose not have to ride alone, and the adult can use the FP line to ride.

We will also be going in September with my grandson who is trached, vented at night, oxygen prn, and gtube fed part time. He also is not walking or crawling. Definitely get the stroller as a wheelchair so your stroller can stay with you. My grandson has the Hoggi Bingo Evolution Adaptive Stroller. He is immune compromised from antirejection meds so we will be asking for the DAS.

first off I hope you have a great time at Disney and this will be just the first of many trips for you and your family

Disney does a great job of helping people with all kinds of disabilities. You are right they normally do not let strollers in line but they do on a case by case basics. You will need to stop at GR and explain why she need her stroller in line ( pretty much what you said here) They will give you a tag to put on her stroller and when you do in line just show the CM this tag and they will let you bring your stroller in line with you.

The DAS is for people that can not be in line for a number of region you can also talk to GR about your DD needs as it has to do with waiting in lines ( not all Disabilities need a DAS card). Think about waiting in line at your local fair amusement park, again some people do not have a hard time with this part.

if she will not be riding means rides you can use child swap where one adults goes with the kids while the other one waits with the child not going ( the first group goes in what ever line they have FP or stand by) and then when they come out they give the pass to the person waiting with the child the adults change place and the adult rides with 2 people ( it can be two people that just went) so this way the adult dose not have to ride alone, and the adult can use the FP line to ride.
Thank you for all the info!

We will also be going in September with my grandson who is trached, vented at night, oxygen prn, and gtube fed part time. He also is not walking or crawling. Definitely get the stroller as a wheelchair so your stroller can stay with you. My grandson has the Hoggi Bingo Evolution Adaptive Stroller. He is immune compromised from antirejection meds so we will be asking for the DAS.
When we took my older daughter who has a trach (not vented, oxygen prn) They gave us a dad before I even finished explaining about why suctioning in line is a bad idea. Another time with my younger daughter we tried to do it without the das, but as soon as the CMs saw her feeding pump, they waved us into the fast pass lane, every time. When I questioned it they said because she is on "life support" she doesn't have to wait in the regular line. I tried explaining it was just feeds, not life support,but they still kept sending us to fast pass line. Get a stroller as wheelchair tag, and I doubt they will deny you the das. As others have posted, you can only use the das for the rides your daughter will get on
Wow! This is amazing. I fear the long lines with her immune system as well as the heat with her lung disease causing her to work harder.

Definitely get a "Stroller as Wheelchair" tag - ten you can bring the stroller through lines with lines with you.

A few things about the DAS;

1) It can only be used on rides that your DD will be on. Since you say that she will only ride a few rides, it can only be used on those rides.
2) You have to explain why waiting in the normal line is a problem for her. The not walking and need for equipment is resolved by using the stroller, so it would have to be needs that aren't addressed by that.

Lot's of good information in the first few posts here - https://www.disboards.com/threads/w...15-digital-das-on-tickets-magicbands.3178976/
Thank you

I'm hoping that things will run smoothly. The idea of waiting in line with her while the siblings wait for the ride scares me a bit, with other children who may want to touch her equipment.

I'm hoping that things will run smoothly. The idea of waiting in line with her while the siblings wait for the ride scares me a bit, with other children who may want to touch her equipment.

She should be able to ride anything without a height restriction. Also, anything with a height restriction that she is not tall enough, you will not even be able to enter the line with her.

She should be able to ride anything without a height restriction. Also, anything with a height restriction that she is not tall enough, you will not even be able to enter the line with her.
So what happens if I want to ride and dad wants to ride with all the other kids? We all need to be in the line correct?

So what happens if I want to ride and dad wants to ride with all the other kids? We all need to be in the line correct?
You will all go to the line line and get a child swap pass. Dad and the other kids will go ride while you wait with baby. Then you and the other kids will ride while Dad waits out. Anyone under the height limit will not be allowed in line.

You will all go to the line line and get a child swap pass. Dad and the other kids will go ride while you wait with baby. Then you and the other kids will ride while Dad waits out. Anyone under the height limit will not be allowed in line.
Ah! Good to know. So basically the family waits in the line and stroller and 2 year old and myself wait outside the line. When our time is ready we go meet the rest of the family and swap parents! That's great.

There's a limit to how many people can use the swap for the 2nd ride. At DLR it's 3, on some rides at WDW I believe it's only 2. And at one point they weren't offering swaps for rides that had single rider. You'll probably have to devise a system for the other kids taking turns riding twice. On the plus side, if you do use single rider for the 2nd ride, all of the kids 7 or older can go again.

Honestly, we had a lot of pixie dust thrown our way for just the trach and gtube. Obviously you can't plan on that, but try not to stress too much!

First remember first aid is your best friend. They are quiet places to rest, suction, change briefs (diapers) etc. The nurses are always great and friendly. The first time you go in during the day will ask you want you need the rest of the day they tend to remember you. There are a few rides that she can stay in her stroller on. Have the best time of your life. PS cast members have see invis. We tease because the rest of the world rarely sees us and our son with his wheelchair but cast members always do!

W but as soon as the CMs saw her feeding pump, they waved us into the fast pass lane, every time. When I questioned it they said because she is on "life support" she doesn't have to wait in the regular line.

I would not count on this,

Ah! Good to know. So basically the family waits in the line and stroller and 2 year old and myself wait outside the line. When our time is ready we go meet the rest of the family and swap parents! That's great.

Not quite. All of you go up to the CM and you'll get a child swap pass. The family waits in line and rides the ride while you and the two-year-old wait outside the line. When the rest of the family finishes riding, they come out to wherever you are. You (and up to two of the others) go up to the ride, show the child swap pass and use the FP line to ride while the two-year-old (and everyone else) wait wherever you want. You do not need to use the child swap pass right away (you can generally actually use it anytime on your trip - but this may differ between WDW and DL).

Also note that not all attractions offer a DAS return time, just those that have a fast pass return. This means most character meet and greets and a handful of rides will still require waiting in the regular line. Also, not all rides offer the child swap, just those with height restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter