2 week CA escape from Ohio for a wedding itinerary planning

theresfrank

Earning My Ears
As a lurker I am again looking for some assistance and verification. We visited DL for 3 days back in 2013 in a simple round trip booking from Ohio. We loved DL and wanted to return, but who knows when.

Well my Sister in law is planning a wedding in the Pismo Beach area February 20th of 2016. We have decided since the kids will be turning 8 (son ) and 10 (daughter) we may as well parlay the initial airfare investment into a more encompassing trip to the west.

After some pretty heavy research, here is revision E of the iterary.:
Day*Travel*Activity*Lodging
Sunday, February 14, 2016 *Fly Columbus to Oakland CA, *Drive Oakland to Three Rivers CA (4 hr) *Comfort Inn Three Rivers
Monday, February 15, 2016 *Drive Three Rivers to SEKI (1 hr) *Gen'l Sherman Tree Congress Trail *Wuksachi Lodge @ SEKI
Tuesday, February 16, 2016 *None Free Day at SEKI & son's 8th b-day *Wuksachi Lodge @ SEKI
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 *Morning Drive SEKI to Pismo Beach *Travel day, slow pace *Cliffs Resort
Thursday, February 18, 2016 *None *Hearst Castle, explore Pismo *Cliffs Resort
Friday, February 19, 2016 *None *Rehearsal *Cliffs Resort
Saturday, February 20, 2016 *None *Wedding *Cliffs Resort
Sunday, February 21, 2016 *Train from San Luis Obispo to Anaheim *Brunch then travel to Anaheim *Candy Cane Inn
Monday, February 22, 2016 *None *Disneyland/CA *Candy Cane Inn
Tuesday, February 23, 2016 *None *Disneyland/CA *Candy Cane Inn
Wednesday, February 24, 2016 *None *Disneyland CA & wife's b-day *Candy Cane Inn
Thursday, February 25, 2016 *Morning Drive Anaheim to Carlsbad CA (1 hr) *Free Day *Legoland Hotel
Friday, February 26, 2016 *None *Legoland *Legoland Hotel
Saturday, February 27, 2016 *Evening Drive Carlsbad to San Diego (1 hr) *Legoland *San Diego Kings Inn
Sunday, February 28, 2016 *Fly San Diego to Columbus

So the plan is to rent a car at the beginning of the trip for the drive from Oakland to SEKI and then to Pismo Beach. We will turn in the car at SBP airport, and catch the train down to Anaheim. While in Anaheim I do not plan to have a car. We will pick up another one when we depart Anaheim for Carlsbad and the final leg of the trip.

My questions are:
1) What are the chances of snow in the SEKI area during the second week of February? We are staying on the southwestern part of the park.
2) Is there anything worth seeing even if it means a slightly longer drive from SEKI to Pismo Beach? Looks like a nice drive through CA farmland (which is worth seeing for a family sick of Ohio winter by then).
3) I am banking on some light crowds again at Disneyland and CA in the middle of the week 2/22 to 2/24. Touring plans says a 2 or 3 out of 10...
4) I still need to iron out the logistics of getting from the train to the Candy Cane.
5) Opinions and advise appreciated.
~Jim

Last edited:
My questions are:
1) What are the chances of snow in the SEKI area during the second week of February? We are staying on the southwestern part of the park.
2) Is there anything worth seeing even if it means a slightly longer drive from SEKI to Pismo Beach? Looks like a nice drive through CA farmland (which is worth seeing for a family sick of Ohio winter by then).
3) I am banking on some light crowds again at Disneyland and CA in the middle of the week 2/22 to 2/24. Touring plans says a 2 or 3 out of 10...
4) I still need to iron out the logistics of getting from the train to the Candy Cane.
5) Opinions and advise appreciated.
~Jim

Here's a photo tagged as February 2005 and that's the General Sherman Tree. If you look carefully, you'll see they're on snowshoes.

snowshoeing_group_sherman.JPG

It's expected to be an El Niño year, so I'm guessing snow. Even in dry years, there will be snow. You may need chains (check with your rental agency on whether they allow it) and/or AWD/4WD. They will plow, but often there will be chain restrictions before they outright close the roads. Just be careful and you'll be alright.

http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pvwinter.htm

As for the train station to Candy Cane Inn, you could take the OCTA bus, a taxi, Anaheim Region Transit, or others. The OCTA 50 bus would be ideal since it stops at the train station (ARCTIC) and at the corner of Katella and Harbor (right in front of the 7-Eleven). It's giving 14 minutes (including walking), and there's a bus every half hour or less.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/ART...d1728!2m2!1d-117.9165797!2d33.8042318!3e3!5i1

http://www.octa.net/ebusbook/RoutePDF/route050.pdf

I'm not sure about their carry on rules though. It doesn't sound as if they'll allow all sorts of things, like anything bigger than airline carry on size luggage. Anaheim Resort Transit operates to serve people with luggage, and you can pay on the shuttle. However, route 15 doesn't specifically stop at that corner.

http://rideart.org

It may be cheaper to keep the rental car the full time only having the one drop fee at San Diego.
Don't miss the elephant seals just north of Hearst Castle.

1. February in the mountains in northern & central California? You should count on snow. It's a guarantee. You will need chains, especially if it's an El Nino winter like they are predicting. It can be rather hairy at times (having driven those roads myself many times in years past). When a really strong storm blows through, the 2-lane mountain highways are often closed until snow plows can clear the roads.

2. No...not really much worth seeing on the drive between Sequoia National Park & Pismo Beach. The driving is pretty boring & uneventful. If it's snowing in Sequoia National Park, count on rain for at least part of your drive to Pismo Beach. This will mean it will take longer to get to Pismo Beach.

3. I think your dates at DL in Feb sound great!

4. Getting from Amtrak station in Anaheim to Candy Cane Inn - you could always take a cab.

5. Honestly, if you know that by February, you & your family will be sick of Ohio winter & the winter-related driving issues, you might want to rethink going to the Sierra Nevada on this trip. OR proceed with your plans, but be prepared for travel times to take MUCH longer than Google Maps says when the weather is bad. Alternatively, you could spend a couple of days instead in Monterey, Carmel, and Santa Cruz. It's about an hour's drive (or maybe 90 minutes) from Oakland airport. Take your kids to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. Go on the 17 Mile Drive. Carmel village has a cute bunch of boutique-y shops in their little downtown area. Santa Cruz has a wonderful breakfast place called Zachary's that DH & I used to go to a lot when we lived in San Jose.

But if you DO go to that area instead of Sequoia & King's national parks, do NOT drive Highway 1 all the way south from Monterey & Pismo Beach. Take 101 instead. I do not recommend doing that at that time of year (winter)...especially in an El Nino year because sections of that stretch of Highway 1 in the winter often get rock & mud slides and it's a pain in the neck. The scenery is great, but being stuck in the middle of nowhere with no services, no cell signal, and no way to turn around (some stretches of road are only really 1.5 lanes, not 2) isn't much fun.

If you want to do the Sierra Nevada that time of year, I'd recommend Yosemite over SEKI. Yosemite Valley is gorgeous covered in a dusting of snow. There will also be a lot more services available.

This is the first CA roadtrip itinerary that accurately takes into account driving times and the amount of time it takes to see the things on your list. Something that you need to consider is that either Yosemite or Sequoia will likely require snow chains on your tires in February. Rental companies don't rent them and often don't allow them to be put on the vehicle's tires as part of the rental agreement. You're going to have to either find one that allows their cars to be driven into those parks or book some kind of tour that includes transportation.

This is the first CA roadtrip itinerary that accurately takes into account driving times and the amount of time it takes to see the things on your list. Something that you need to consider is that either Yosemite or Sequoia will likely require snow chains on your tires in February. Rental companies don't rent them and often don't allow them to be put on the vehicle's tires as part of the rental agreement. You're going to have to either find one that allows their cars to be driven into those parks or book some kind of tour that includes transportation.

Of course it depends on the individual conditions. There could be snow up there, but where the roads have been plowed and there hasn't been fresh snow for a while. I've certainly been up there where you could see plenty of snow but the roads were spotlessly clean. They generally don't like going to chain conditions, although sometimes it's just R1 conditions where all-season tires with adequate tread left are OK. Chain conditions seem to happen when it's actively snowing, or when it stops snowing and nobody has officially rescinded them.

Of course conditions can change in a hurry. However, dealing with California's winter driving requirements is a pain. The requirements for chains seems to be primarily geared towards discouraging inexperienced winter drivers from going up to the mountains.

Wow, I am glad I asked. I have to admit I may have underestimated my take on the weather. I have been driving up and down steep hills in snow since I was 16 (grew up in Pittsburgh Pa). However my wife is now less than enthused about doing it on vacation, and having to pack four seasons worth of gear for us all. We are already looking into alternative options for the first leg of the trip. I really appreciate the feedback. We are now looking at other airports to fly into as well. It appears Pismo beach has much to offer. I wonder if the Monarchs will all be gone by mid February?
Also, as Uber a good option in Anaheim, say from the train station to the Candy Cane? I know airports and resorts can be dicey with that service.
~Thanks
Jim

Of course it depends on the individual conditions. There could be snow up there, but where the roads have been plowed and there hasn't been fresh snow for a while. I've certainly been up there where you could see plenty of snow but the roads were spotlessly clean. They generally don't like going to chain conditions, although sometimes it's just R1 conditions where all-season tires with adequate tread left are OK. Chain conditions seem to happen when it's actively snowing, or when it stops snowing and nobody has officially rescinded them.

Of course conditions can change in a hurry. However, dealing with California's winter driving requirements is a pain. The requirements for chains seems to be primarily geared towards discouraging inexperienced winter drivers from going up to the mountains.
Whether or not the roads are plowed or it is snowing, if you run into a check point where they are checking for chains, you cannot continue without chains, so it's something that needs to be considered when renting a car.

Wow, I am glad I asked. I have to admit I may have underestimated my take on the weather. I have been driving up and down steep hills in snow since I was 16 (grew up in Pittsburgh Pa). However my wife is now less than enthused about doing it on vacation, and having to pack four seasons worth of gear for us all. We are already looking into alternative options for the first leg of the trip. I really appreciate the feedback. We are now looking at other airports to fly into as well. It appears Pismo beach has much to offer. I wonder if the Monarchs will all be gone by mid February?
Also, as Uber a good option in Anaheim, say from the train station to the Candy Cane? I know airports and resorts can be dicey with that service.
~Thanks
Jim
Uber can be a good option, but with Uber X you don't get to request the size of the vehicle, so with 2 weeks worth of luggage you may end up with a compact car. You can check the app when you're on the train to see if there are going to be any near the station when you arrive. Arranging for a larger taxi may be a better option.

For trip suggestions, have you looked at the Madonna Inn? You could add a day in SLO in stay in 2 completely different themed rooms. Might be fun.

Whether or not the roads are plowed or it is snowing, if you run into a check point where they are checking for chains, you cannot continue without chains, so it's something that needs to be considered when renting a car.

I understand that, and I would always recommend getting chains just in case. However, I'm just thinking about the odds. I'd say be prepared, but don't worry too much about it.

There's also the possibility of renting an all-wheel drive vehicle, although those are often at a premium price.

In any case, California has different rules that generally assume that winter driving will be in less populous areas that may not be plowed as regularly as needed. I remember a car rental (I didn't drive) in Chicago during the winter. The washer reservoir had deicer and there was an ice scraper on the floormat. Other than that, they didn't give any instructions for driving in the winter.

I understand that, and I would always recommend getting chains just in case. However, I'm just thinking about the odds. I'd say be prepared, but don't worry too much about it.

There's also the possibility of renting an all-wheel drive vehicle, although those are often at a premium price.

In any case, California has different rules that generally assume that winter driving will be in less populous areas that may not be plowed as regularly as needed. I remember a car rental (I didn't drive) in Chicago during the winter. The washer reservoir had deicer and there was an ice scraper on the floormat. Other than that, they didn't give any instructions for driving in the winter.
I'm not sure about hwy 198, but having an AWD vehicle does not exempt you from the chain requirement going to Big Bear. In some places you need a specific type of snow tire, which would also need to be prearrange, especially when renting from an airport location 250 miles away. Again, I would never advise someone to play the odds when renting a car. The odds of an AWD vehicle with appropriate tires being available and the logistics of obtaining chains and being allowed to put them on the rental car will end up eating up time and money that can be better spent by planning ahead.

I'm not sure about hwy 198, but having an AWD vehicle does not exempt you from the chain requirement going to Big Bear. In some places you need a specific type of snow tire, which would also need to be prearrange, especially when renting from an airport location 250 miles away. Again, I would never advise someone to play the odds when renting a car. The odds of an AWD vehicle with appropriate tires being available and the logistics of obtaining chains and being allowed to put them on the rental car will end up eating up time and money that can be better spent by planning ahead.

I'm not saying play the odds regarding using chains, but not to obsess about whether or not snow is going to kill the plans. Certainly find out if they'll be allowed by a rental agency and then perhaps make alternate plans (like reserving an AWD vehicle) if not. While they may not allow them, there is the possibility of taking a chance. The worst that a rental agency can do once someone uses chains is to make the renter pay for any damage to the vehicle, which isn't any different whether or not they allow it. I'd first recommend finding one that allows it, but every rental car agency deals with renters driving their vehicles in the mountains during winter. Heck - I've heard of people obsessing over whether or not they needed chains to drive over Tejon Pass, which gets nasty snow conditions every few years. However, they'll almost always shut down the road, since there's really no safe place to install chains on that part of I-5.

All roads in California that have chain controls operate on the same rules; NPS incorporates those rules within California. California has the R1/R2/R3 system where a declaration of chain requirements escalates in terms of requirements. I've heard of R3 chain controls, but they'll usually shut down the road. Whenever there are chain controls, chains still are required to be carried. There are also very few vehicles that don't have the required "snow tread" (all season) tires these days. I doubt a rental car wouldn't have them.

• R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.
    • R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
    • R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
    • R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.

I'm also not seeing anything different about the road to Big Bear.

http://kbhr933.com/weather-roads/big-bear-roads/
Caltrans Chain Control Requirement Levels:

R-0: No Restrictions
R-1: Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32″ with an M&S imprint on the tire’s sidewall.
R-2: Chains required on all vehicles, except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. Four-wheel drives must carry chains in the vehicle. If you have four-wheel drive, engage it. Use 4-Low only if your vehicle becomes stuck.
R-3: Chains required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

And Yosemite uses the same rules. This is from the (soon to be former) official park concessionaire.

http://www.yosemitepark.com/yosemite-winter-driving.aspx#snow-chain-info

There are three categories of chain requirements: R1, R2, and R3.

R1: Chains or snow tires are required on the drive axle of all vehicles.
Two-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires that have an M+S rating and a minimum tread depth of 6/32 of an inch are OK to drive without putting on chains.
R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel/ all wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
4WD vehicles with M+S rated tires are OK to drive without putting on chains.
R3: Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.
Including those with four wheel/ all wheel drive.

I'm not saying play the odds regarding using chains, but not to obsess about whether or not snow is going to kill the plans. Certainly find out if they'll be allowed by a rental agency and then perhaps make alternate plans (like reserving an AWD vehicle) if not. While they may not allow them, there is the possibility of taking a chance. The worst that a rental agency can do once someone uses chains is to make the renter pay for any damage to the vehicle, which isn't any different whether or not they allow it. I'd first recommend finding one that allows it, but every rental car agency deals with renters driving their vehicles in the mountains during winter.
No where in your information above does it say that an AWD vehicle is sufficient. It would also have to have snow tread tires. Simply advising someone to rent an AWD vehicle is bad advice. I dispute the idea that all rental agencies deal with people driving their vehicles into the mountains. If they specifically forbid it in the rental contract, they should be able to assume that the vehicles aren't being driven with chains (or off road, or across a border, or any other common rental restriction.) Regardless, the OP has stated they are scraping that part of the trip.

No where in your information above does it say that an AWD vehicle is sufficient. It would also have to have snow tread tires. Simply advising someone to rent an AWD vehicle is bad advice. I dispute the idea that all rental agencies deal with people driving their vehicles into the mountains. If they specifically forbid it in the rental contract, they should be able to assume that the vehicles aren't being driven with chains (or off road, or across a border, or any other common rental restriction.) Regardless, the OP has stated they are scraping that part of the trip.

I noted "adequate tread" was needed to bypass chain requirements, in addition to AWD in R2 or any car in R1. Since the topic is a visit to California, I'd say that yeah all rental agencies probably deal with renters taking their rentals up into the mountains where there might be snow. I've rented a car in Reno before and went over the rental agreement. They of course are going to be dealing with drivers heading over the Tahoe in the winter, and maybe even when it's snowing in the Reno area. I haven't seen anything ever mentioning that driving in winter mountain conditions isn't allowed. There may be local restrictions on chains, but that's going to be unusual in places where chains may be needed.

Yes, I think for various reasons we are going to skip SEKI this time. It may be years before we get back, but I think it is me and the wife that are more interested in that side trip anyway. Plus we are looking at some of the costs and trying to reduce the financial impact.
So, if the research is being conducted on my account, I appreciate it but is is no longer something I am considering.
If it is being conducted for completeness, have at it! These threads tend to benefit others that use the search function and I am totally OK with you guys hashing this out here if you choose to continue. Honestly I do appreciate the input from all parties.

I am now spending energy deciding between:
Fairfield Inn, was there in 2013, it met all our needs and I did enjoy looking over the park from the room.
Candycane Inn, reviews look good, leading candidate due to that.
Camelot Inn and Suites, Cheaper, slightly closer, and the kids will likely love the theming, but some reviews have me concerned.

We have considered a night at the Madonna. I am waiting to get final wedding pricing form the resort to see what we want to do. I am also trying to nut cram so much "fun" into this trip that between switching hotels and doing fun stuff that we never really unwind. The current meat of the trip is below:

Date Travel Attraction Lodging
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 Get to Pismo Beach Free Day Cliffs Resort
Thursday, February 18, 2016 None Hearst Castle, explore Pismo Cliffs Resort
Friday, February 19, 2016 None Rehearsal Cliffs Resort
Saturday, February 20, 2016 None Wedding Cliffs Resort
Sunday, February 21, 2016 Train from San Luis Obispo to Anaheim Brunch then travel to Anaheim Candy Cane Inn
Monday, February 22, 2016 None Disneyland/CA Candy Cane Inn
Tuesday, February 23, 2016 None Disneyland/CA Candy Cane Inn
Wednesday, February 24, 2016 None Disneyland CA Candy Cane Inn
Thursday, February 25, 2016 Morning Drive Anaheim to Carlsbad CA (1 hr) Legoland Legoland Hotel
Friday, February 26, 2016 None Legoland Legoland Hotel

We technically have 3 days available before we need to arrive in Pismo on the 17th and 3 more after we leave Legoland on the 26th.
The four days in Pismo are going to be pretty low key unwind days for me and the kids, as none of us are directly involved in the wedding. My wife is the Matron of Honor, so she will have some stuff to do, but the kids and I will be escaping the whole wedding prep "fun" and soaking up the sun, sand, and leisure life for the days we are in Pismo. Renting bikes and possibly going clamming (with proper permits and low expectations) are on my short list.

So I am now in my sixth version of the trip, and still up in the air on where and when we will fly into and out of. Looked at flying right into SBP, but the chances of a cancelled flight and the cost of checked bags have me determined to fly SWA in and out. Columbus is an SWA hub, and we have some miles to use. PLanning is half he fun some of you say? :)

How about starting in San Francisco and driving down the 1 to Pismo? You could hit Santa Cruz, Monterey and have a lovely view driving south. Your kids are a perfect age for the Exploratorium, Monterey Bay Aquarium and other beach explorations on your way south. I think you may even catch elephant seals...

I am now spending energy deciding between:
Fairfield Inn, was there in 2013, it met all our needs and I did enjoy looking over the park from the room.
Candycane Inn, reviews look good, leading candidate due to that.
Camelot Inn and Suites, Cheaper, slightly closer, and the kids will likely love the theming, but some reviews have me concerned.

We have considered a night at the Madonna. I am waiting to get final wedding pricing form the resort to see what we want to do. I am also trying to nut cram so much "fun" into this trip that between switching hotels and doing fun stuff that we never really unwind. The current meat of the trip is below:

Date Travel Attraction Lodging
Wednesday, February 17, 2016 Get to Pismo Beach Free Day Cliffs Resort
Thursday, February 18, 2016 None Hearst Castle, explore Pismo Cliffs Resort
Friday, February 19, 2016 None Rehearsal Cliffs Resort
Saturday, February 20, 2016 None Wedding Cliffs Resort
Sunday, February 21, 2016 Train from San Luis Obispo to Anaheim Brunch then travel to Anaheim Candy Cane Inn
Monday, February 22, 2016 None Disneyland/CA Candy Cane Inn
Tuesday, February 23, 2016 None Disneyland/CA Candy Cane Inn
Wednesday, February 24, 2016 None Disneyland CA Candy Cane Inn
Thursday, February 25, 2016 Morning Drive Anaheim to Carlsbad CA (1 hr) Legoland Legoland Hotel
Friday, February 26, 2016 None Legoland Legoland Hotel

We technically have 3 days available before we need to arrive in Pismo on the 17th and 3 more after we leave Legoland on the 26th.
The four days in Pismo are going to be pretty low key unwind days for me and the kids, as none of us are directly involved in the wedding. My wife is the Matron of Honor, so she will have some stuff to do, but the kids and I will be escaping the whole wedding prep "fun" and soaking up the sun, sand, and leisure life for the days we are in Pismo. Renting bikes and possibly going clamming (with proper permits and low expectations) are on my short list.

So I am now in my sixth version of the trip, and still up in the air on where and when we will fly into and out of. Looked at flying right into SBP, but the chances of a cancelled flight and the cost of checked bags have me determined to fly SWA in and out. Columbus is an SWA hub, and we have some miles to use. PLanning is half he fun some of you say? :)

Ok, re: the 3 days to kill prior to you arriving in Pismo Beach on 2/17:
  • If it's cheaper, you can fly into San Jose (SJC) instead of Oakland (OAK).
  • Then drive an hour to Monterey. From SJC airport, go south on Hwy 101 until you get to Hwy 156. Then go west on Hwy 156 until it merges with Hwy 1. Go to the Monterey Bay Aquarium. When you're going south on Hwy 101, in Gilroy, there is a HUGE outlet mall. I mean, it's BIG. That's good for a few hours of some killer shopping.
  • You could also make a stop in San Jose at the San Jose Children's Discovery Museum. It's a decent alternative to the Exploratorium in SF if San Francisco isn't in the cards this trip. If you'll be stopping in San Jose, don't bother going to the Winchester Mystery House...it's a waste of your $$ and a bit of a tourist trap.
  • For the drive from Monterey to Pismo Beach, do not continue south on Hwy 1. Go back to Hwy 101 via Hwy 156. Then go south on Hwy 101.

OR you could do this...
  • Instead of going south on 101 from SJC or OAK airports, go west on Hwy 17 and head to Santa Cruz.
  • You could stop at Vasona Lake County Park in Los Gatos. It's an awesome park with really cool playgrounds, a small lake where you can feed ducks and (if memory serves me correctly) rent paddle boats.
  • Hwy 17 is a divided 4-lane highway and in the winter, it gets a LOT of rain when storms come in. So just be mindful of the speed limits. Stick to the speed limit and you'll be fine.
  • The end of Hwy 17 is in Santa Cruz, which has a beach boardwalk. Water is too cold to go into in the winter. But near Santa Cruz is the Natural Bridges State Park and it has awesome tidepools to explore.
  • There's also the Santa Cruz Surfing Museum. Or you can visit Roaring Camp Railroad. Somebody on the DIS has a trip report posted recently that has cool pictures of this place.
  • You could spend your first night in Capitola. There are some great eateries there right on the beach. It's a wonderful little village.
  • The second day, you could drive 20-30 min down the coast to Monterey and explore the wharf, Cannery Row, spend several hours at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
  • 3rd day - you could visit the Carmel Mission and visit Carmel village.
  • Driving time with no bad weather (i.e., heavy rain) from Carmel to Pismo Beach is about 2.5 hours via Hwy 101.

For the 3 days after Legoland, there's a ton of cool things to do in San Diego:
  • San Diego Zoo
  • Sea World
  • tour the aircraft carrier museum on Mission Bay
  • visit Old Town San Diego or Seaport Village for some cool shopping

Agree with the prior poster about the zoo in San Diego and the tour of the Midway aircraft carrier. We did a hop on off trolley tour in San Diego which had 1 and 2 day options . It went to Balboa Park were it was about a 10 minute walk to the zoo and stopped near the Midway. It also went to Old Town and Seaport plus across the bay to Coronado.

For your open days, consider flying into or out of Vegas. You'll find more direct flights than going directly to CA. You may even find nonstops to Phoenix.

I just checked out the Midway website, we are a very aviation oriented family, so I think we need to add that to the trip. Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter