2-Way Radios

waltandjulie

Earning My Ears
Any thoughts on whether 2-way radios are really worth it? We are a family of 4 with two small children DD(4) DS(1). We will be touring together, except for the occasional bathroom trip, pool trip, etc. I love gadgets, but have a cell phone, and wonder what situations the phones are really used in.

We find that our cell phones worked just fine in the parks. We too are together most of the time and our DS is not old enough to be without one of us. We have small cell phones that fit great in our fanny pack. I would just use your phones and save the money and the hassle of carrying something else in the park.

Jordan's mom

Our family of 4 absolutely won't go to WDW without our 2 ways. The first time we really went without them, my dh & son went into a ride @Epcot, and my dd was asleep in her stroller, so I said I'd wait outside by the exit for them to get off. Of course, there is more than one exit! We spent nearly 45 minutes just trying to catch up to one another. Having the 2 ways then would have been a big help.

Of course, when we have the 2 ways, we don't always need them, but when we do need them, they're great to have in the backpack!

Beth

We bought 3 2-Way radios from Circuit City a few weeks back for $10.00 each. Bought them online and picked them up at the store. When I got to the store they gave me back 13 cents because they said they were now even cheaper.

I think these are made by Uniden (I don't have them w/ me at the moment). They have a built in locking clip for your belt or belt strap.

Might be worth checking into.

We have a family of 5, DS-9, DD-5, DS-2, and I now bring our 2-ways on any substantial family outing.....definitely to WDW. Due to the differences in ages, we do split up occasionally, and the radios are really needed. Before we had the radios, we had an incident where my husband and I split up with the different kids and agreed to meet by the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (TTA) when my husband and 2 older kids were done doing the Haunted Mansion. He got to the Haunted Mansion and found it broken, so he headed over to TTA. I was hanging out in that area as well after doing a diaper change. After an hour and half, we finally found each other.....he had been just across the 'traffic pattern' from me (i.e. about 40 feet away) the entire time and we never saw each other!

I would think even with your kids being 2-3 years apart you'll want to split up sometimes. If you both have cell phones that might be fine (although I have heard that some cell phones don't work well in Disney.)

If you do buy radios, be sure to buy some that have the sub-channels; otherwise, my understanding is there's just too much traffic to use them effectively in a busy place. Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter