2 or 3 full days for San Fran?

bettymae1121

DIS Veteran
As a part of a long visit to CA next year (June 2015) we are going to spend some time in Northern CA before heading to DLR. I have family in Sacramento and when we are done visiting them, we planned on spending 3 nights in San Francisco. But that only gives us 2 full days of sight seeing (we will get there late on the 1st night and leave the morning of the 4th, leaving only days 2 and 3 to really see anything).

We've never been there before so now I'm wondering if we should stay an extra night to have more time? Cost isn't much of a factor, the hotel is free with points so it would just add an extra day to the car rental, plus meals and any fun things we do on the added day but we have a pretty big meal/fun stuff budget so I think it could be easily absorbed into the existing budget.

This is a nice problem to have, and we have plenty of time to sort it out, I just wondered what people who have been to San Francisco before might think. Thanks! :wave2:

San Fran is amazing! You will definitely want to see Alcatraz, make sure you buy your tickets weeks in advance as they tend to sell out. Also, the night time tour is more in depth. There is a TON to see in San Fran so I'd plan 3 days. There is a Disney Museum there, as well as several historical sites. The best way to get around and see everything is by renting a GO CAR. You go at your own pace and the "car" narrates. Very cool. Don't miss fisherman's wharf or the golden gate park.

=)

Best wishes, Im headed to San Fran in 2 weeks for another 3 day vaca.

Thanks! We'll have a rental as we'll need one in Sacrament when I visit my family there, but thanks for the Go Car tip. I'm leaning towards 3 days now, but I'll have to see what the hubby thinks.

I lived and worked in SF for 20 years, and I could easily fill a week with fun stuff. LOL! Some things you might consider: Muir Woods (30 minute drive from downtown SF) and the giant redwoods. If you are outdoorsy at all, there is EXCELLENT hiking available there too. The museums in Golden Gate Park (Natural History and DeYoung are both excellent). The Japanese Tea Garden is located right there too. As is the arboretum, if plants are your thing at all. It is spectacular, and I could spend hours there alone. Palace of Fine Arts. Chinatown (make sure to explore the side streets off the main drag, Grant Ave, as this is where there are tons of interesting little shops actually used by the locals. The ferry terminal (at the base of Market Street) is fun to explore (and eat your way through). Certain days of the week they also have the BEST Farmer's Market there. Alcatraz is worth the time. Fisherman's Wharf is for tourists, and I think a total rip off, but everyone seems to want to see it. If time were short, I'd skip it.

we are hoping to do the same thing, but our time and money are a bit more.... limited! what are the major highlights to see in SF and Oakland? (ex. I live in philly.. if you only had a day in philly, you gotta see the liberty bell, independence hall, run up and down the "Rocky" steps, eat a cheesesteak, pretzel and water ice)! what are the major highlights in LA/SF and Oakland?

It's not an SF 'icon' but given that this is the DIS, I have to put in a pitch for the Walt Disney Family Museum. A wonderful museum about the history of the man and his companies. Not necessarily appropriate for small children tho (they will like get bored very quickly).

As far as the true icons, others have given good suggestions. Sorry Oaktown, but there isn't really anything of note on that side of the bay, especially for a short trip.

ps- just say 'NO' to calling our city San Fran or Frisco. If you want to sound like a local, it's simply 'The City', SF, or San Francisco. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

We are visiting SF in late July and have 3 days to explore. So excited! Any recommendations for areas to stay? Family of 4 (2 kids, ages 11 and 8, both girls). Thank you! We are considering renting an apartment, but haven't decided yet.

Sorry I'm a little late, but I live in the Bay Area and just wanted to add in to see the Marin Headlands. It's on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge, and it's a driving road with some of the most INCREDIBLE views of the bay. There are old bunkers to explore and everything is kid friendly. Here is a picture from our last trip up there.

VUfGOgN.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter