2-Day Park Hoppers vs 3 Day Non-Park Hoppers

familyman123

Mouseketeer
Background: Went to WDW last year for 8 straight days with family (DW, DD16 DD13, DD10, DD8). Going to be in California and looking to have 2 days in Disneyland and plan to buy hoppers and Genie+ (May 23/24). Looks like extra $200 for 3 day non-park hoppers with Genie+. None of us have ever been to Disneyland, looking forward to be walking distance and all the different and/or unique items, less interested in identifical rides from WDW (Soarin, ROTR, etc). Money and time not spent at Disneyland will be spent elsewhere in California (San Diego most likely)

For you veterans - what would you go for? All opinions welcome

(I'm leaning towards two days. I expect it would let us tour slower, but not really get more done.)

What time of year are you going? That could influence responses.

People here usually push for hoppers as it is super easy (think Future land to World Showcase, and not the far end), but I think it also depends on your touring style. If you want to go super intense let’s go-go-go then the hoppers and 2 days. If you’d like to take your time and really enjoy each park I would do 3 days DL-DCA-DL no hoppers. For cost savings you could forgo G+ on your DCA day if you plan on arriving early and skipping duplicate rides (Ariel, Toy Story, Soarin - unless its the California version.) If you are going during a particularly bust time of year then 3 days.

In San Diego what are your priorities because that could influence the # of DL days as well.

Keep in mind that some duplicate rides are not identical. Pirates is much longer, Small World has characters in their countries, ect. We are WDW veterans and we usually do 3 days in Disneyland sometimes with park hoppers, sometimes not. Even though the parks are physically smaller, they do have a lot more crammed in a small space.

We are experimenting with downsizing from four days to three.
If you want to experience pretty much everything in both parks, I can't imagine doing it in two days, especially with children and not staying until midnight.

(I'm leaning towards two days. I expect it would let us tour slower, but not really get more done.)
Wanted to add 2 days would be a faster pace. And not as much done. I believe you would leave feeling like you missed out on something. Keep in mind there are *more* attractions at DL than MK. And as others have said, many of the “dupes” are far superior (pirates, small world.) some can be skipped (Ariel, soarin, dumbo, galaxy’s edge) but there is value in the ones that are still unique or original.

When I go to WDW, we always do park hoppers for our trip. Have never had park hoppers at DL and don't really feel the need.

I'd personally go with DL-DCA-DL and most times of year feel confident I'd be able get through all the things I wanted to do.

Thanks everyone so far for the feedback. My additional info from the comments.
- We are going May 23 and 24, and the potential 3rd day would be the 25th. Looks to be 7 on the disneyland crowd calendar.
- To be sure, I do want to see the rides that differ in substance - especially pirates. Less so for ones with minor changes. I accept I may miss somethings, which I think I am ok with, if we get most of it in. (Been to WDW 5 times, never seen railroad, Tom Swayers Island, Country Bears, Astro Orbiters, and I don't think I mind).

Seems pretty unanimous for the 3 days. The reports I had seen from people using Genie+ was that they were getting like 10 attractions a day. I had been thinking the Genie+ would speed things up a good bit, especially for headliners, but the reaction of everyone seems to be... meh??

(Not disagreeing - what do I know - but a little surprised).

- We are going May 23 and 24, and the potential 3rd day would be the 25th. Looks to be 7 on the disneyland crowd calendar.
- To be sure, I do want to see the rides that differ in substance - especially pirates. Less so for ones with minor changes. I accept I may miss somethings, which I think I am ok with, if we get most of it in. (Been to WDW 5 times, never seen railroad, Tom Swayers Island, Country Bears, Astro Orbiters, and I don't think I mind).

Seems pretty unanimous for the 3 days. The reports I had seen from people using Genie+ was that they were getting like 10 attractions a day. I had been thinking the Genie+ would speed things up a good bit, especially for headliners, but the reaction of everyone seems to be... meh??

What do you mean by “meh?” G+ is in the eye of the beholder. You can absolutely get lots of rides using G+, especially with the modify feature. It does require knowledge of the system and a bit more phone time. I treat it like the WDW fastpass of yore and use it to secure our top 3 rides and everything else is gravy.

Disneyland crowd calendars are completely unreliable IMO. So much is dependent on the local audience and evening events. There is a grad night the 25 I believe, and weekdays can be busier than weekends because MKeys are not blocked.

3 days would be a more enjoyable trip, IMO. Again you can likely forgo G+ your DCA day if you get there early.

Your dates are the last 2-3 days people can use their SoCal Resident tickets. That will definitely increase the crowds. Because of this. I’d do 3 days with genie plus.

If it was me, 2 days G+, and it's not a question. You can get a ton done with G+ (We usually hit 25+ rides, mostly headliners, per day), ESPECIALLY if you park hop. Park hopping is super easy. A whole day at DCA can be tiresome for me, but I always am sad when I can't jump over for a couple hours, ride the 3 or 4 best rides, then hop back to DL. Keep in mind, I'm a college student that shows up at the crack of dawn and leaves after midnight. When I'm there, I'm squeezing every drop out of my day. If you're a relaxed tourist, go for 3 days. If you're gonna use the time, 2 day park hoppers give you a lot of flexibility, but you will have to keep moving for both of your days. So the question is less "what's objectively optimal" - I think that's the 3 day one park tickets. But I would never go to DL without park hopping, you'll still get almost everything you want done, and you'll have some time to see other parts of so cal.

To me, G+ is most valuable when it is busy. And even more so if you can't rope drop or stay until very late. As a parent looking at the ages of your girls, some might be ready to go at 7am but some might be hard to drag out of bed for RD. Others might not make it until MN. If you are willing to split up, you might be about take advantange of RD (or drag the teens out of bed!). That said, I am a big fan of G+, and it will really help you on these busy days. The increased crowds on the last days of the SoCal tickets are real. We were there one year on the last day, and it was insanity. The next days were fine. In that case, G+ matters even more. And the grad parties will also affect crowds for you (and not in a good way). I would really learn how to max out G+ (modify, MEP etc). We love to park hop at DLR, but I would forgo the hopping and do the extra park day if given the choices you gave me above. With the crowds (that is also the week leading into Memorial Day weekend...) and the number of ride closures that have been happening, it might be nice to have an extra day to account for those uncontrollable variables.

We're planning on using Genie+ to reduce the amount of walking -- primarily for my 78-year-old wife, who is only 13 months removed from breaking her hip.
We're hoping LLs will help us do major attractions sequentially, reducing the need to schlep from one side of the park to the other just to minimize waiting in line.

Personally I would do 2 days at Disneyland and 1 at California Adventure and not get park hoppers.

I’m in the same exact boat but during the 1st week of August. 2 day hoppers or 3 day regular pass both genie plus.. we’re wdw Veterans and we never do hoppers there but DL and DCA are so close together. I’m so torn on what to do!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter