2 Contracts with same Use Year?

BOST99

Mouseketeer
We have started our search for our 1st contract via resale. We are looking for AKL since we love the resort but may want to add on 25 points direct at an MK or Epcot resort. I've been doing a good amount of research but the use year I think I understand but still a little unclear on a few points.

For the next ~20 years we plan to travel at the end of August so would be looking for a use year Feb, Mar or April. Is this right? Would avoid August, September and October.

It seems like I would want them to have the same use year to make it easy for tracking and booking? Are there any other advantages or disadvantages I'm not aware of yet?

It also seems if we buy direct, there is more flexibility or better chances of getting the same UY since we can request it from Disney?

Thanks in advance!

For the next ~20 years we plan to travel at the end of August so would be looking for a use year Feb, Mar or April. Is this right? Would avoid August, September and October.
Help me understand why you think that. The best use year for August trips is August. Will you regularly travel in May, June, or July?

http://dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc-pr...ar-distribution-charts-updated-september-2015

Look at this to see what UY has most contracts available. Also you want a UY of or leading to your typical trip date. We travel Aug to Jan and so we have June and August UY. The June was our first contract and we didn't pay attention to UY when we bought. But it has worked fine for us. Prefer Aug though.

I'd say June or Aug would be good for late Aug trips. And June has a lot of contracts at AKV.

I likely misunderstood but on another thread the advice was to have a use year where you didn't or rarely traveled during the last 4 months. Due to school it would be rare for us to go in Sept, Oct or Nov. There are no Jan use years so went with the next few months. Thats not correct?

You want a UY that covers the 8 months that you will vacation. The only reason is so you can bank your points should you cancel your trip.

:earsboy: Bill

I likely misunderstood but on another thread the advice was to have a use year where you didn't or rarely traveled during the last 4 months. Due to school it would be rare for us to go in Sept, Oct or Nov. There are no Jan use years so went with the next few months. Thats not correct?
It's more complicated than that. That advice predominantly applies to people who travel "throughout" the year and have a difficult time nailing down the best use year.

If you want the option to travel earlier in the summer, or February-April break, then February UY is fine. (We did that, because we're unlikely to *regularly* take trips in Nov/Dec/Jan due to school, and are likely summer travelers with some Presidents' week travel mixed in.

hope this helps.

Just remember that if you add on 25 points at an MK or EP resort while your main resale contract is at AKL, you will only get 11 mo booking advantage that MK or EP resort *for those 25 points*, not for all your points you own. So you'd have 75 points, max, to use to book at 11 mo at that second resort. Also - someone correct me if I'm wrong - but the only way you get the same membership # and can pool your points is same resort AND same UY, which is why most people suggest a 25 point direct add on at the same resort and UY where you got your resale contract.

Really any UY between Feb and Aug would be ok. If you're always going at the same time of year, UY is pretty easy. When might be your Plan-B if you don't go in August? Would you maybe do more summer-ish, or spring? Or holidays? I'm not really a fan of Dec-Feb UYs in general because they are poor choices for potential holiday bookings. Even if you don't think it's likely now, maybe some day...
It also seems if we buy direct, there is more flexibility or better chances of getting the same UY since we can request it from Disney?
Yes and no. Yes, because Disney will come up with any UY you want if you're paying. But, you can probably find an AKV UY on the resale side that will work for you too. Interestingly, there does not seem to be a lot of AKV inventory out there right now! Almost nothing.

Just remember that if you add on 25 points at an MK or EP resort while your main resale contract is at AKL, you will only get 11 mo booking advantage that MK or EP resort *for those 25 points*, not for all your points you own. So you'd have 75 points, max, to use to book at 11 mo at that second resort. Also - someone correct me if I'm wrong - but the only way you get the same membership # and can pool your points is same resort AND same UY, which is why most people suggest a 25 point direct add on at the same resort and UY where you got your resale contract.

That is a good point. I hadn't thought of that but when you do it makes total sense.

Thanks to everyone. Hoping to buy this fall so hopefully a little more inventory opens up :)

A UY closest to your travel times is best. If it's usually August, I'd look for August. At AKV you'll have no problem finding an August contract. IMO it's more important than the actual price per point, within reason of course.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter