2 1/2 month old in August

Jacksmom99

<font color=0099FF>Meredith's mom too!!<font color
We are taking our annual trip in August (the joys of being a teacher on a school year calander:) ) It will be DH, DS 3 1/2, and MIL, myself and the newest addition. The youngest DS for his first trip was 9 months old, but that was for the millenium on New Year's Eve and that trip definately had it's own unique issues. My questions are.....1) sunscreen for the baby. We are all VERY fair and burn quite easily. When DS was an infant, I just kept him out of the sun, kind of impossible in Florida in August. So they make safe sunscreen's for babies under 6 months old? 2) We will be bringing a stroller with the infant carrier for the baby. Almost every sroller I've found is navy blue or black. I'm afaid my poor child will cook in the sun/heat even with the sun shades closed. Note that we only plan on being in the parks in the am and then in the evenings, but it's still hot and sunny even before noon. Any suggestions for kind/brands of travel system strollers? 3) Given that it will be very hot and I am not slender ;) , would a baby sling or snuggli be worth getting? I had one for DS and HATED it because it had no back support. I am also worried about cooking the child against my body if they were in a sling stype carrier. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

We took a 5 month old in June/July several years ago, and here's what I remember.

1.My pediatrician did not recommend any type of sunscreen for a baby this age, so no, we did not use sunscreen on him. However, he isn't fair like you are describing your baby to be. You might ask your baby's doctor's for recommendations. Coppertone does have a baby sunscreen that we did use after he was older. Consider hats and long cottony pants to cover his legs.

2.We took a cosco stroller system that had a huge sunhood on it and I connected a receiving blanket to it to extend the sun coverage.

3.I think I got it from a OneStepAhead catalog...a clip-on battery operated fan that I clipped onto the handle of the child carrier and blew on him. Big hit with him and onlookers.

4.I would not recommend a snugli type carrier. I have a baby bjorn and did not use it this trip for exactly the reasons you stated. It is just too hot for that kind of close contact.

5. Please do just go in the early am and pm. We had quite a scare at AK. For some reason, we stayed to do just "one more" thing and didn't head back to the hotel until 1pm, and on the way to the gate, the baby's face got bright red. We just hoofed it back to the baby care center and sat in the air conditioning and got him a drink before we started out again. It can get so scary hot. My problem was that I breastfed exclusively so I probably should have gotten him used to at least sucking water from a bottle. This was the only scary moment of the trip however. AK has very little shade or air conditioned attractions so that is a place to be very heat conscious.

Think that's all I could come up with. Have a wonderful time and carry lots of liquids. :o)

We took a 5 month old in June/July several years ago, and here's what I remember.

1.My pediatrician did not recommend any type of sunscreen for a baby this age, so no, we did not use sunscreen on him. However, he isn't fair like you are describing your baby to be. You might ask your baby's doctor's for recommendations. Coppertone does have a baby sunscreen that we did use after he was older. Consider hats and long cottony pants to cover his legs.

2.We took a cosco stroller system that had a huge sunhood on it and I connected a receiving blanket to it to extend the sun coverage.

3.I think I got it from a OneStepAhead catalog...a clip-on battery operated fan that I clipped onto the handle of the child carrier and blew on him. Big hit with him and onlookers.

4.I would not recommend a snugli type carrier. I have a baby bjorn and did not use it this trip for exactly the reasons you stated. It is just too hot for that kind of close contact.

5. Please do just go in the early am and pm. We had quite a scare at AK. For some reason, we stayed to do just "one more" thing and didn't head back to the hotel until 1pm, and on the way to the gate, the baby's face got bright red. We just hoofed it back to the baby care center and sat in the air conditioning and got him a drink before we started out again. It can get so scary hot. My problem was that I breastfed exclusively so I probably should have gotten him used to at least sucking water from a bottle. This was the only scary moment of the trip however. AK has very little shade or air conditioned attractions so that is a place to be very heat conscious.

Think that's all I could come up with. Have a wonderful time and carry lots of liquids. :o)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter