***1st Week of December Thread ADR Plans, Park Hours, and dealing with Pop Warner***

My son is on the spectrum and has sensory (and other issues) and I have previewed a bunch of stuff with him already to see if he'd be interested in doing it. All I need is to book some big expensive thing and have him decide 5 minutes in he is not into it. On youtube you can find videos of almost every ride and attraction at WDW. I showed him clips of Hoop Dee Doo and Candlelight Processional to see if he'd be into it and he was into both but we sometimes watch ride videos just for fun and because he is excited about the trip. For a kid like him, surprises are not a good thing usually so I don't worry about spoilers with him.

For Epcot most of the rides are pretty tame except mission space which is very claustrophobic and a bit scary even on the "tame" version. Soarin' is pure joy so hopefully he would like that (if you go on it with him) and of course test track is very fast but if he likes coasters he should be fine.

In AK dinosaur is very intense and even tough to be a bug can be intense for little ones. Nemo is a pretty tame show, it is less "immersive" where all of the action occurs on a stage rather than all around you and he'd probably enjoy that more than festival of the lion king. Mine liked it but I couldn't tell if he did or didn't, he did seem a bit overwhelmed by it all but was quiet throughout and requested to see it again on this trip.

in HS, I would preview star tours with him. we are planning to do indiana jones stunt spectacular which is loud and has explosions, if you plan on that be ready for it. Also I have heard of some kids having trouble with the muppets with some 3d effects and explosions there too. of course the thrill rides like ToT and RnR but I assume you know what to expect of those.

Wednesday I think is another possible night for star wars fireworks if you can't shift other stuff around and it is easy to go between epcot and HS. are you planning to do illuminations?

Thanks! All great tips. We have just started to preview some of the rides on YouTube, but he mostly wants to go over the rides in magic kingdom that he is familiar with first. I'll be interested to see what he thinks of the rides in the other parks on video.

I hadn't thought about walking to HS from Epcot, but that is definitely doable. Would you recommend illuminations or star wars fireworks Wednesday night? I don't know that much about either of them! I'll have to look into!

Thanks! All great tips. We have just started to preview some of the rides on YouTube, but he mostly wants to go over the rides in magic kingdom that he is familiar with first. I'll be interested to see what he thinks of the rides in the other parks on video.

I hadn't thought about walking to HS from Epcot, but that is definitely doable. Would you recommend illuminations or star wars fireworks Wednesday night? I don't know that much about either of them! I'll have to look into!
Welcome! You have found the absolute best people to ask about these things! Everyone here is so helpful and fun!! It always brightens my day when I pop on here :) I really can't answer many questions because i'm a total newbie . I sure do ask a lot though! :thumbsup2 But I will try to help when I can!

Star Wars fireworks seem earlier if your kids do not have a late bedtime :) I'm bringing my two year old with me and I'm thinking it'll be nice to bring the kids to play area too. I know Epcot and MK have a few. Not sure about DHS though.

Ok veterans, new poll. Can you tell me your favourite play area in each park? (Or any area to let the kids run around a bit) and your favourite snack close to that area. I need to update my spreadsheet with more info on Monday :banana:

I know allergies don't explain all food issues, but I do think they are something that should be explored. Drawing blood for the allergy test is fairly non-invasive.
My daughter put my granddaughter on the Feingold diet for hyperactive kids and her personality changed instantly. She can't have things like artificial colors and flavors. She also can't have things like apples, berries, tomatoes, and some other things. Her teachers were amazed at the transformation. It can be difficult to keep to the diet, but worth it. :) She is seven now and has been on the diet for at least a year now.

I am a little worried about my five year old at the lunch and two dinners. The last two years we have made breakfast reservations only and the rest of the family ate a snack for lunch and an early dinner at the art of animation food court (where we stayed). But my husband really wants to branch out, so we tried to make all reservations that were experiences so he would not feel as anxious (BOG, Sci fi and mickey's BBQ) He drinks milk and we have supplements that go in his milk that I keep in my purse. I was hoping to take in crackers in my purse too, but I probably need to call about that too I assume?
You can ask them if they can prepare some simple foods for your son. My daughter would request things like buttered noodles and plain cooked chicken for her daughter.

Ok veterans, new poll. Can you tell me your favourite play area in each park? (Or any area to let the kids run around a bit) and your favourite snack close to that area. I need to update my spreadsheet with more info on Monday :banana:
Disney needs to put more playgrounds in their parks.

Epcot - in front of the building where they are showing the Pixar Films is the jumping water. Kids love to chase down the water as it jumps from one fountain to another.

AK - the boneyard - near the entrance to Dino Land - kids will play in there forever :)

Nothing on plans yet, but have you ruled out any food allergies for your son?

My sister was a very picky eater growing up. She pretty much survived on milk, powdered sugar doughnuts, cereal, cheese, bread, and vitamins. She was finally allergy tested about the age of 18. Turns out she was highly deathly allergic to a number of foods. The only one we had known about was her peanut allergy. If she had actually eaten anything on her long list of contraband food, she likely would have died without having an Epi-Pen handy.

I am a firm believer that children are able to listen to their instincts more closely, and that my sister just knew she had to avoid certain foods. To do this day, most of her allergens smell disgusting to her, which I believe is another self-protection mechanism.

I know allergies don't explain all food issues, but I do think they are something that should be explored. Drawing blood for the allergy test is fairly non-invasive.

Yes, we have ruled out allergies. He's been tested a few times and nothing has ever shown up. He has a very unique little story, but in short they cannot find anything medically different with him :)

And I totally agree with you on the instincts of children. Even as a very small infant he just knew what he could handle. He has just always been a very special little guy!

Catching up a bit...

I love coral reef, but it always gets mixed reviews. Some people say it is loud but I have never found it that loud (a lot of hard surfaces). I agree that it is serene. It has always been one of my favorites to be honest.

you don't have to call about crackers. Just bring them. What kind of breakfast foods does he like? my friend's son only eats french fries and waffles. It's rough on her, a lot of other people are judgmental, but at disney she has no problem (she only goes to places that serve fries though. BoG does luckily). will he eat bread/rolls? most sit down places have them. Have you ever tried fries with him? Just trying to think of things that he could at at other times than breakfast at restaurants... and as I'm sure you know, with a kid who has sensory issues around food, even trying a french fry can be a huge leap forward!

He eats bacon, sausage links, waffles, pancakes, most cereals, blueberry muffins, grapes, cantaloupe and strawberry drinkable yogurts (mostly all breakfast foods ). So we really try and eat a huge breakfast. Other than that he really only eats crackers and milk for the rest of the day. Funny you should mention French fries....he eats them at one place and one place only near our house. We are actually working on trying to eat it at other places with his OT since he has shown an interest. And yes, I struggle with people judging me for it too. It mostly happens when he asks to leave a birthday party because he is too scared someone is going to try and make him eat pizza, juice, ice cream or cake.

He eats bacon, sausage links, waffles, pancakes, most cereals, blueberry muffins, grapes, cantaloupe and strawberry drinkable yogurts (mostly all breakfast foods ). So we really try and eat a huge breakfast. Other than that he really only eats crackers and milk for the rest of the day. Funny you should mention French fries....he eats them at one place and one place only near our house. We are actually working on trying to eat it at other places with his OT since he has shown an interest. And yes, I struggle with people judging me for it too. It mostly happens when he asks to leave a birthday party because he is too scared someone is going to try and make him eat pizza, juice, ice cream or cake.
will he eat other kinds of muffins? like a corn muffin? there is cornbread served at the backyard bbq, wondering if that might be close enough to a muffin to try if he will try corn muffins before the trip. Texturally corn is a bit different so it may be a no go but it may be worth a try so there is at least one thing that he will eat there.

it also seems like he eats a pretty good variety at breakfast. Kid QS meals come with grapes as a potential side/dessert so maybe he can at least have those while the 2 year old eats the rest. He will eat proteins at least. Has he ever tried "not breakfast" sausage, or does the larger size change the texture enough that it bothers him? I guess a hot dog is a no-go even though it is sort of kind of like a breakfast sausage (mine only likes a certain kind and only boiled like I make them, not grilled or any way that changes the texture of the "skin" and nothing other than 100% beef). I am quite sure you are in good hands with your OT but they may not be aiming toward a successful disney vacation but rather a successful life... I'm just throwing a few things out there that might help with disney specifically if you can work on them before you go.

Also I assume that it is ok for him to have breakfast foods outside of breakfast times?

Backlot express at hollywood studios has "vader chicken and waffles" which is basically waffles and chicken nuggets. That meal could probably feed two of your kids - waffles for the older kiddo and nuggets for the younger ones.

Trilobites in AK has waffles too, I'm sure you can get them plain (you can get it as a sundae with no ice cream!)

Sleepy Hollow in MK has waffles too. Maybe you can grab him a waffle before going into BoG or something.

France has a crepe place, I'm not sure if that would be close enough to a pancake to try?

Also all of the starbucks have muffins, maybe they would have blueberry?

Poor little dude, afraid he'll be made to eat ice cream. You can tell him I will eat all of his for him! lol. I did a lot of reading about sensory issues and food since my son has some and it really is a tough thing. It's not that they don't want to try it, it's that they can't. it's that it is awful for them. It takes a lot of work and patience to get them past it. No judgments here at all! BTW my kiddo used to not eat any french fries bigger than mcdonald's size... he thought they had too much potato :rotfl:

Last edited:
I sure wish Disney would fill in the remaining CP narrators! Does anyone know when they usually announce those? I didn't track it last year but I do remember there being announcements sometime in the fall about who the other narrators would be I just don't recall when it was. Yet another thing I'm not sure about. :crazy2:

I sure wish Disney would fill in the remaining CP narrators! Does anyone know when they usually announce those? I didn't track it last year but I do remember there being announcements sometime in the fall about who the other narrators would be I just don't recall when it was. Yet another thing I'm not sure about. :crazy2:

Okay, I answered my own question. I found an article from wdwmagic from October 15, 2015 that Disney had finalized the narrators for CP. Guess we could be waiting awhile yet. :headache:

Okay, I answered my own question. I found an article from wdwmagic from October 15, 2015 that Disney had finalized the narrators for CP. Guess we could be waiting awhile yet. :headache:
This sounds like everything else Disney has been announcing. Pretty much half or no info. On the bright side I did see someone say they see ROL as an option in fastpass but not available of course.

This sounds like everything else Disney has been announcing. Pretty much half or no info. On the bright side I did see someone say they see ROL as an option in fastpass but not available of course.
hm did it say times yet? I just looked and don't see for October 10th. 60 days out?

hm did it say times yet? I just looked and don't see for October 10th. 60 days out?
Someone just said they see it as an option but no availability. It was on the thread that said the show is handed over to management with all the glitches fixed.

I guess we'll see. I am hoping for some later times so I have more options to see it. it is tough to do any dinner past 3pm with early park closings and nighttime shows :P Fingers crossed!

I guess we'll see. I am hoping for some later times so I have more options to see it. it is tough to do any dinner past 3pm with early park closings and nighttime shows :P Fingers crossed!
Yup. I made room for it on another night just in case :) seems more likely now than not but as usual I doubt we would know until a month or less before.

NEW TOPIC (or assignment rather):

I know a lot of people are feeling overwhelmed about the 60 day window and FP+ booking so here is a way to start:

When is your FP+ window open?
When are you planning to book your FP+ for 7DMT? (and how many are you booking?)
When are you planning to book your FP+ for FEA? (and how many are you booking?)
What is your third most important FP+?

IMO if you can answer these 3 questions, you will be fine for booking at the 60 day window. ANYTHING else truly can be changed around with quite some time. I just checked FP+ for 30 days out and it is available for everything except those two. Maybe not every time all day but it is available. Also it's good to discuss our thoughts.

For me, I will go first.

mine opens 10/3

I have 3 MK "days" when I can book FP+ and I'm honestly not sure what I should aim for at this point. They are toward the end of my trip, so that is actually a good thing I think. I am not fussed about when I get it - last time we went we rode it in the morning of our last day because it was all I could get. I think I might aim for sometime during our last day as well - because the other two times I will be there after dark. Does anyone know if this is better during the day or after dark? I actually have no idea. I may book it once at night and once during the day but I don't remember it being my favorite.

For FEA I have decided to target the 7:30-8:30 time frame on my epcot day. I know that is specific but I think it will be easier to grab one later in the day (most people with princesses who are dying to ride it are going to want to grab it earlier in the day I think) than hinge my plans on getting it first thing. I know this pretty much kills my ability to get a 4th FP+ for the day but with SDFP I think I can manage the rest of the Epcot day ok. I am just planning for the one FP+ - kiddo is not frozen crazy but he is Soarin' crazy and I admit it is one of my all time favorite rides too... we are going to both RD it and FP+ it on two separate days.

My 3rd FP+ that I feel is important to book is the 9am Safari (or close to it) on my AK day. Checking availability 30 days out, the early morning safaris go first - the first available for me 30 days out is 12:10am. This is kind of important to the flow of my AK day because I plan to do EMH and do the dinoland stuff and then do safari before my 9:45TH breakfast. There are a few shows I want to fit in and it is kind of a short day so cross your fingers. I'm a little nervous because it is the first day of my vacation so more likely to overlap with people who are from the previous week and will have already booked the good safaris!

Who's next? Would love some input on 7DMT because I am truly at a loss as to how to plan my MK days! anyone else have any feelings about what are better daytime vs. nighttime rides?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter