1st Visit: EE/EP and HP advice please

ericaseiler

Mouseketeer
Hi!

We are visiting for the first time the 2nd weekend in December.
We are on-site with early entry and an unlimited express pass

I just saw that early entry is only for IOA while we are there.

My 2 daughters will definitely want to spend time in HP and also choose wands.

Can you please share with me your advice on the best way to spend our time seeing the parks?

We will have 3 mornings and 2 evenings.

I originally heard that the parks alternate the days of early opening and to start in one park one day and another park the next day- obviously this isn't the case. If we go in to IOA early can we get onto Hogwarts Express right at 9 to get into US HP then?

Also, where should we get a wand? I see Ollivanders is in both parks. Is there a better place to get? A better time to get?

My last question, when the parks list their closing time (7pm at US when we are there)- does everything shut down then (stores, etc?)

Thank you!

How loyalist are your DDs? In the books, Ollivanders is in Diagon Alley, so they might want their first wands from that location. You will have the same basic experience in both though. A lot of people recommend starting in Diagon Alley to retrace Harry's steps, but I wouldn't prioritize that over taking advantage of early entry.

I like to go to the wizarding areas the first thing each morning, stay until it gets super busy, venture out to the rest of the park, then return at the end of the day (and maybe for lunch and dinner).

You will be able to ride Hogwarts Express right at 9:00, but you'll need to get in line earlier than 9.

How loyalist are your DDs? In the books, Ollivanders is in Diagon Alley, so they might want their first wands from that location. You will have the same basic experience in both though. A lot of people recommend starting in Diagon Alley to retrace Harry's steps, but I wouldn't prioritize that over taking advantage of early entry.

I like to go to the wizarding areas the first thing each morning, stay until it gets super busy, venture out to the rest of the park, then return at the end of the day (and maybe for lunch and dinner).

You will be able to ride Hogwarts Express right at 9:00, but you'll need to get in line earlier than 9.

Thank you!! My oldest has read all of the books and is a huge fan. So, Diagon is in US? And we have early access to Ollivander's in IOA. I think that is correct. Would be nice to be able to get her a wand first thing. I guess I can ask her when she finds out about the trip (it is a surprise until a week before we leave)

With the EP's, you don't really have to do EE that first day. You will have enough time to see everything in both parks with your plan. To follow Harry's story, you can rope drop US, and go to Diagon Alley and Ollivanders. Keep exploring that area in detail (especially if you have an interactive wand). Don't ride Gringotts, yet. When ready, take the Hogwarts Express over to Hogsmeade. Your EP's will get you quickly through Forbidden Journey and ride Hagrid's coaster. Take the HE back for the evening and finally ride Gringotts. You will have time to see so much more than this, too. Plenty of time to explore the rest of the parks. If you do EE the next day, re-enjoy your fave HP things, then you get to rope drop the other areas like Jurassic Park at 9am.

I know "conventional wisdom" is to start with DA, but the Forbidden Journey ride in Hogsmeade is chronologically before Gringotts in DA. I would prefer to start in Hogsmeade for that reason. EE makes that choice easier.

You are going to love it! We are big Potter fans and cant seem to get enough! LOL!

My advice to first time visitors is always:

Look over park maps in advance just to get a feel for where things are located. Maps are posted online.

- Arrive early! When the park opens at 8 am, I like to be in line at the gate at 7 30 am.

- You can pack snacks in your bag, just no glass containers

- Download the wait times app in advance. You may not need it if you have Express Pass but I helps to gauge how busy the parks are if you are in one section and are considering going over to a different section.

- Butter beer is a YUMMY but also really sweet. It comes as something similar to a cola or a frozen slush or hot in the winter. It is about $6-7 per serving so you might consider getting one [or two different types] to share before buying your whole group one and this way you can see which kind you prefer. They gave us an extra cup last time

- If the park closes at 10 pm, as long as you get in line at 9:59 pm, you can still ride even if the wait is an hour long….

- Crowds will come and go throughout the day. HP sections are small and popular so it may feel crowded at one point of the day, but at a different point in the day it may thin out.

- Be sure to see both sections, Diagon Ally and Hogsmead, in both the day and night…they are so pretty at night.

- Id get the wands early in the trip so you can use them all throughout the trip. The Olivanders in Diagon Ally is larger so it the line moves faster…..and of course, Harry got his at the Olivanders locations ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter